Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 28353637
Results 1,801 to 1,813 of 1813

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

Cigar I think the middle stone is a 45 record spacer, nice...
    No More Stolen Sisters.

great photos cigardaddio!!! haunting and solemn.

Thanks pkstracy & lush It was peaceful there even with the main st right out front. its almost like the park muffles it with the frontage of the parking area. All the round stone seats at each group has that 45 spacer symbol in them...very cool in a way. Also sorry the angel came out sideways, it was donated to the park by the West Warwick FD. I have to commend the Parks/Recreation Dept. that they do a very nice job with upkeep. A few folks were visiting at the time, one gentleman looked like he had a FF sweater on similar to my old one from New Hampshire 911 System when I worked in the 2000"s. ( a pic to clarify )

I have ID"ed 5 Veterans so far from the 100 - I'll keep researching some other types of info to make sure I have them all. Will post more info down the road Keep roll'in !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210328_104900 (002).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	55166

Twenty years old but comfy !! Stay safe Everyone Jimmy D

Jimmy, I took the liberty of putting an approximate footprint of the club onto your photo.

1.) Men's Room

2.) Ladies Room

3.) Back Bar area

4.) Front Door area

They've made the Memorial Park very symmetrical. But from this POV, here's where I'd put it all. (Once, just before dark, I measured things according to some of the police measurements in the RIAG file.)

See how The Station favored the southeast corner of the lot?

Very interesting Billoween, I did try to picture it the day we were there but the land was changed so much for the park. I did figure the entrance was near those steps you indicated. Great job mapping it out.

From the overhead shot, its amazing how small of a footprint it had for how many people it had inside. the kitchen area must have been tiny, I do remember using the men's room the night I saw the Donnas

there and it being tiny single stall deal.

Keep up the good work ! Jimmy D

I've been reading "Just a Thought Away" by Mike Ricardi. Not so much a lot of information on what happened that night as it is about his friendship with Jim Gahan. Nevertheless, it is rough to read about what Mike had to go through to escape and how he had to deal with it.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    I've been reading "Just a Thought Away" by Mike Ricardi. Not so much a lot of information on what happened that night as it is about his friendship with Jim Gahan. Nevertheless, it is rough to read about what Mike had to go through to escape and how he had to deal with it.
    Yeah Noelle, he was generous in sharing the details of his predicament.
    Remember when he spends pages talking about how much care some gal he calls ?Jen?gave him at The Cowesett Inn? Later, he says:

I thanked Jen for everything, and told her I would be in touch with her the following morning. Her last update was that my parents were going to meet me at the hospital. She let them know where I was heading and gave them directions to get there.
    All these years later, I have had no luck contacting her on the only number she gave me that night. She represented an angel sent to help me, if only for a short period of time. I feel obligated, hoping that one day I will be able to repay her for everything she did.?

Well, as has been mentioned here before, she was on a second date with Steve Burgess, the Cranston firefighter and eventual bar window rescuer. He had been the bass player in the band ?Those Guys,? and since he knew the layout of The Station, he had her out the kitchen exit in no time. He stayed on to rescue people, though, and Jennifer Stocks?that?s who Jen was?went to help the wounded at the Cowesett Inn.
    In case he still doesn?t know who Jen is, I left him a message with the details. You never know....
    Last edited by billoween; 04-07-2021 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Something screwed up the original

Pkstracy?why is the thread mucking up? I remember this happened before once.

Billoween, I hope that they were reunited. I know that Jen's help meant a lot to him that night.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

When did it muck up, Bill? Today?
    No More Stolen Sisters.

Yeah. Hi Pks—It turned all my punctuation screwy. Could it have anything to do with the site being shutdown briefly last week? I wrote it on my cellphone; don’t usually do that. 🤷🏻

I feel like this happened a couple years ago, too. It’s like it had the wrong censor filter on. If you said “passport,” it would come out as “p***port. Then maybe cindyt pushed a button at headquarters and bam!—all good.

Sorry to take this conversation public, But it’s been a little quiet of late anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post
    Yeah. Hi Pks—It turned all my punctuation screwy. Could it have anything to do with the site being shutdown briefly last week? I wrote it on my cellphone; don’t usually do that. 路

I feel like this happened a couple years ago, too. It’s like it had the wrong censor filter on. If you said “passport,” it would come out as “p***port. Then maybe cindyt pushed a button at headquarters and bam!—all good.

Sorry to take this conversation public, But it’s been a little quiet of late anyway.
    Likely tech problems. I didn't push any buttons at headquarters. Mister Josh takes care of the technical side of the forum. If you ever have any problems like that or something else send him a PM.

--Some Moments from the Butler Video--

(Using The Station Fire.mpg on G. Drive)

(00:30)
    With the front-stage crowd having already raised their arms to salute the band or give the "devil horns" or pump their fists to the music, it never appeared to catch Great White's attention, then, when those crowd gestures changed over to pointing (behind you!) or frantic waving (Jack! Look Jack!).
    These urgent new gestures simply aren't differentiated enough from the initial ones so as to gain any serious attention from the performing Jack Russell and band. [Bustakita touched on this once.]

(01:19) [very quick]
    P.O. Tony Bettencourt can be seen turning his head sharply left so as to talk into the radio mic clipped to the epaulet on his shoulder. And we know now the message he radioed to headquarters: "The Station's on fire!"
    In seconds, Bettencourt will be caught in the stampede out the front doors.

(01:22)
    Some of the people exiting behind Butler--people we can see thanks to his rear-facing video camera--almost become familiar for a brief time. After all, we've been with them for a number of consecutive seconds.
    But then, as Butler clears the pinch point, we suddenly gain some brand new faces--no doubt people who've left from the main bar and have merged into the hallway flow.

(01:49)
    Here we have Ron Barak regaining his footing after escaping the atrium by way of the lower metal panel kicked in by Butler at window #4. The camera also picks up what could be called that panel's virtual twin at window #8, seen just above the white stripe. It never gets used, though.
    The NIST report on the fire includes a diagram showing several atrium windows broken; all of these are between the (real) glass window facing the front stairs and Butler's window #4. But nothing else west of #4 was ever reported to have been breached.

(03:42)
    When Butler suddenly pans east, we see people streaming away from the bar windows who are probably mixed with people coming around the corner from the bar and kitchen exits. In all this chaos, my eye always goes to that window screen that's a knee-high annoyance until someone yanks it away.

(05:03)
    When Butler shouts "Anybody inside?" into the stage door exit, we see an object of some kind on the floor under the flames. Butler later tells a West Warwick detective, "I saw what I thought was a tambourine right there."

(10:41--10:42)
    Behind these folks standing in the Nissan lot comes someone, crossing left to right on the screen, who's carrying an injured club-goer.