Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17242526272835 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 2148

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

It's around 10:45pm in Rhode Island at the moment, this is right around the time on the night of the fire that Brian Butler showed up to the venue with his camera and began filming the pre-show footage. He said in his grand jury testimony that he had pretty much wrapped up his shots and was getting ready to go when he saw the stage lights flashing and decided to go back and get a couple more shots (due to feeling like he'd had an off-night and hadn't gotten much useable footage), and the band started up shortly after that. Had he finished a few minutes earlier we may never have had that incredibly infamous and important video of the event. It's strange how little things like these can make such a big difference over the course of history.

Hi all—Actually eating breakfast at the Coventry Denny’s now. Had to make a visit. Picturing Great White sitting in one of these expansive booths, and, unfortunately, getting into conversation with Rick Sanetti.
    Yesterday was mind-blowing. Gonna need some time to digest all this. Hung out with a big group at night. Geno Goguen, Lee Karvonen, Gina Gauvin, Gina Russo, Donovan Williams, David Brennan, Nancy Trautz, Brandon Fravala, Dave Fravala, Brian Loftus, Dawn and Steve Perry, etc. Will report more once I get home.
    Why are these people so freakin’ nice? Guess some were in group therapy together, and it really helped they say. They were with people that understood like nobody else could. Later gang...
    Last edited by billoween; 02-23-2020 at 02:46 PM.

That's awesome, Billoween! You seem to be very connected to those involved in this tragedy. Geno Goguen seems like a cool person. I conversed with him, at first, over cars, but then he gave me a complete account of his escape from the Station fire. I've been trying to track down Lee Karvonen, but to no avail. Brian Loftus was there (at the GW concert) , but left early, right? So he might appear in the pre-fire video?

Thank you for the info on survivor Michael S. Carr. It appears that he married his gf at the time, because I found a "Lizz" associated to a Michael S. Carr, who eventually took his name. Whether they're still married or not, I can't tell. My list of people I need to find is growing too fast!

Back to the William Rancourt / Jackie Bernard / Tina Ayer trio -- could this be William Rancourt after his escape? It appears he lost his jacket and his pants are shredded. His left arm appears to be bloodied. Was William Rancourt among those injured and what do you think of this person being William Rancourt?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rancourt.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	54958

Dionyzus - I always assumed that red-head woman behind Brian Butler exiting the front door was Charlene Prudhomme. Someone earlier -on in this thread suggested so, so I just went with it. It actually looks like she ultimately made it out before BB, so she would not have been caught-up in the pileup, therefore she's not Charlene Prudhomme.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 02-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Don't know if this will help with any identifications but I did grab a couple of screencaps from the Guest List documentary trailer, of the pre-fire crowd. It'll be interesting to see how much footage they include in the finished movie. I certainly have no expectations that we'll get the full video or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have some key moments in high quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrowdCapture1.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	54959

Name:	CrowdCapture2.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	54960

Before I get back into the swing of the conversation and the newest info here--look, we've pushed on to page #26!--I have to pass on an amazingly surreal moment from about 9 pm that anniversary night at The Cowesett Inn. I'm with Brandon Fravala and chatting with some of the survivors, all eating and drinking in a slightly separate dining area that you have to step up to get to, but that's still quite central being just across from the long bar with some half-dozen TV's.

Well...suddenly all the TV's go into that test of the emergency broadcasting network with those blaring alarm/buzz sounds. And the survivors, like in unison, all have a serious startle and freeze reaction, and it's dead quiet for an instant until someone gets it and quickly yells loud reassurances to the group about it just being the emergency test thing. But man...it was so so telling. And kind of sad, and later, ever so darkly funny, if that makes sense.
    Brandon said later: "Yeah, wasn't funny at first, for sure. It just proves how fresh it still is in our heads."
    Last edited by billoween; 02-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by subarctican View Post
    Don't know if this will help with any identifications but I did grab a couple of screencaps from the Guest List documentary trailer, of the pre-fire crowd. It'll be interesting to see how much footage they include in the finished movie. I certainly have no expectations that we'll get the full video or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have some key moments in high quality.

Views:	776 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	54959

Name:	CrowdCapture2.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	54960
    Subarctican! those stills are eerily clear... great screen grabs! Have we identified all the people seen here? I’m pretty sure we have, but maybe we can label them on the photo for reference? I see at least 5 whose names we know...

Billoween- that’s so sad, the survivors clearly still deal with ptsd. �� I’m really glad you got to hang out with them, and I’m looking forward to hearing more about your conversations!
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 02-23-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Subarctican, not Billoween! Sorry guys.

Nice find subarctican! The screen grabs are from a (new?) trailer for The Guest List, more professional than the earlier one that I seem to remember seeing. At least I don't remember seeing this before. Anyway, it is now viewable on IMDB at this link, with the newly updated release date of 1 July 2020.
    Last edited by dionyzus; 02-23-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Nice find subarctican! The screen grabs are from a (new?) trailer for The Guest List, more professional than the earlier one that I seem to remember seeing. At least I don't remember seeing this before. Anyway, it is now viewable on IMDB at this link, with the newly updated release date of 1 July 2020.
    Hi dionyzus! So I reached out to the makers of the Guest List doc to ask when it will be available, as it was supposed to be released by now... the director got back to me within an hour and said the following:

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for writing. We are very close to finalizing distribution and will hopefully announcing details soon. Just keep an eye an Facebook and there will also be a large PR push so I’m sure you will see/hear the announcement somewhere. I wish we could give everyone a date, but we still have to finalize contracts.

We appreciate your email and support of the film. As you know, it’s a very special story involving very special people. A very important story to tell and for the world to know.

Thank you,
    David Bellino, Director

So here's hoping for the July release date- it looks like an amazing movie! I wonder if he would be able to provide info as to where we could get the clear copy of the Butler videos?

Subarctic - enjoyed your 10:45 pm reflection and the great screen shots.

Photo #1 (L-R) I see Stephanie Conant, Mike Ricardi, Andrew Hoban (D), Jeff Martin (D), Derek Gray (D), possible Tammy Denno, probable Melisa Bump, probable Cathren Prunier, Glenn Therriault, Walter Rich (D).
    Photo #2 has a better shot of Jeff Martin (D), and also includes Jon Brennan, and Nick O'Neill (D).

Amanda - Cool that you contacted Bellino. Once I catch up here, you're gonna hear a lot bits from the Anniversary. Get ready for David Brennan's account--talk about a harrowing escape...

Dion - Your work in setting up the Google Drive is now filtering down to reach survivors. You wouldn't believe how thrilled Geno Goguen was that he could read his own witness report on my phone 17 years later. He also sent his friend (and savior) Mike McGee his police interview as well. So...gratitude going your way.

Lt. Frank - I believe that probably is Rancourt. He said he was caught in the front doors with one arm out and basically struggled until he freed himself. Then, Rancourt says, a police officer got him to The Station sign and packed him in snow.

--BTW, found another image of Linda Suffoletto (with Ben). Goggle "Starlite Truckers Club - Suffoletto", and go to images. I talked to Ben's sister at the anniversary, and she said the Suffoletto's were active with the "New England Vanners" club.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAmander View Post
    I wonder if he would be able to provide info as to where we could get the clear copy of the Butler videos?
    Ugh. I tried that a few years ago. Not only did I NOT receive any helpful answers, I was told to make sure I have an excellent lawyer and brace for impact for the lawsuits I'd likely be slammed with from WPRI. Included was a link to a news blurb that took place maybe two years after the fire. Someone had gotten in trouble for sharing footage online. The intellectual dishonesty was very insulting! OF COURSE the legal terrain was completely different in the early years before all criminal cases and lawsuits were finished.

Later, I emailed Rhode Island's library system, called the Providence Public Library. A real librarian responded. She said she'd love to add the Butler tape to their collection as an important piece of history, but if it's not already in the public domain, she could not lift a finger to help.

I think I remember bringing this up a couple years back but looking back at the 13 minute James Butler video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVrQSHm8mg&t=82s

I seriously can't get over the screams that begin at 5:28 as he comes back around. They are absolutely chilling and they are forever stuck in my head. More particularly you can hear a woman's spine-chilling scream at 5:28-5:29 and then that same voice again screaming "help me!" at 5:38-5:39.

Just the agonizing way she screams gave me chills. I actually teared up the first time I heard it. She's clearly burning alive
    Like the fact that Butler even reacted with "Jesus Christ!" when he heard it sums it up.

I tried to convince myself it's coming from the people outside but looking at it it's definitely the people still stuck in the door as the flames were starting to burn them. She's seems to be screaming "help me" which would imply she's one of the people burning at the door.

Also at that part between 5:30 and 5:37 I hear another woman yelling in a high-pitch repeating a phrase, I can't quite make out what she's saying. Kinda curious who they were from. Just gotta say, 5:28-5:40 is easily by far the worst part of this video for me and the hardest part for me to watch. The other parts are bad enough but those screams are just beyond horrible, I had to collect myself the first time I heard it. I hope those people are in a better place now.

Also the guy on fire at 6:18, could he be the same guy from 2:12 that took off his black jacket to help people at the door? Did anyone in that pile actually get pulled out? (Other than Mike Vargas though he was underneath them)

Subarctican - Thank you for those clear screenshots! It's funny how some of those blurry faces my mind tries to make them look like people I know. I guess it's human nature to try to recognize a face. And then when I see a clearer shot of them, they're not what I was initially picturing them as. My attempted ID of Cathren Prunier (front, in black) doesn't really look like her. I really need to track down Tammy Denno.

Billoween - Adding to your IDs of the people, who did you ID as Andrew Hoban? But anyway, adding to the IDs: survivor Scott Dunbar in front of Jeff Martin (D) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunbar_Scott.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	54961

I always thought that was Eugene Avilez (D) behind Derek Gray (D) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victim51.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	54962 Scott Dunbar, Eugene Avilez, and Derek Gray were at this show together.

That might be an O'Neill brother left of Glenn Therriault with the dark blue cap and the light gray sweatshirt. I remember reading that the brothers saw themselves in the video and that one had black leather and the other had red hair and a ball cap. I don't have their pictures though.

Ok, this what I've come up with based on people's IDs thus far... now, for the longest time, I thought the guy with the long black hair next to Derek Gray was Geno Avilez, but he's actually on Derek's OTHER side (as notated in pic). So my question is, who is the guy I have circled? Has anyone ever id'd him? Please forgive me if this is a question that's already been addressed.

Views:	304 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	54963

I first got introduced to survivor David Brennan at the 2019 anniversary. He's not a big guy; more like the wiry gymnast-type. Anyway, he'd seemed a little shy or withdrawn or just private, and we never talked much.

This year was different. After we were together for a while at The Memorial, I told him that I understood he'd been with Jason Hargreaves, Brian Wilk, and John "Shawn" McNulty that night. And after that rattling off of his friends' names he became quite animated in telling me the whole story. Most of which, by the way, never made it into his police interview at Rhode Island Hospital.

Dave right away confessed, a little ashamedly, that he'd been stubborn about moving very fast. It takes his friend Jason grabbing him by a fistful of the front of his jacket to rouse him into action. And in no time it is all hot, blinding smoke and everyone-for-themselves panic.

Well...Dave gets himself stuck climbing up the back of the front pile of people. In fact, he starts just letting go and surrendering to dying. He passes out and has a vision of both of his grandmothers sitting on a vast green field. There's love in their greeting, but soon they're indicating that, no, it's not his time.

Anyway, he snaps back to consciousness and is able to climb more of the human pile until, again, he becomes stuck. On top. It's scary hot and he passes out again, then wakes again and crawls forward somehow until he is able to slide himself down the front of the pile and out the front.

Dave feels the urge and the adrenaline to help rescue people, but he's got skin hanging off one hand and he says his fingers "looked like little sticks." He sprints across the street, shoeless, and--he's not sure why--into the woods next to The Cowesett Inn's parking lot. A cop soon corrals him into the Inn.

Dave's friends come looking for him at triage there, and Brian Wilk finally recognizes him--but not immediately; not with Dave looking like such a hot mess. They give him water and a waitress suggests wrapping him in a bunch of aprons for warmth and for possible shock. Soon he's in an ambulance and on his way to RI Hospital. His friends follow the ambulance. His worst burns include his ears, the back of his head, and his hands.

Billoween: Amazing story from David Brennan. We need to start collecting these and add them to the Google Drive as survivor statements, or something like that.

I am happy and honored to know that survivors are using the Google Drive to see their witness statements and read more about it that they may have forgotten. That is wonderful.

pcwhiz24: Welcome back! I think you are exactly right about those screams as Butler is coming back around front. Those screams are people on fire. The only thing worse is seeing some of them writhing in the flames a moment later.

To answer your last question, several people got themselves out or were pulled out of the front door pileup before it was engulfed in flames. In Killer Show Chapter 16 Domino Theory, Barylick lists some of them: John and Andrea Fairbairn, Sharon Wilson, Robert Riffe, Derek Silva, Elizabeth Arruda and Erin Pucino. And we now know David Brennan was another. Of course this is not counting the handful of survivors who were trapped in the pile until the fire was put out, all of whom were severely burned except for Mike Vargas.

Regarding the full length high-quality Butler video, I'm pretty sure WPRI are the only ones in possession of it, and getting ahold of it would be extremely difficult.

They very likely charge licensing fees (usually per second of footage) to use the footage. I'm not sure exactly how much a video like that goes for, but you can bet getting the full fire and pre-fire videos would be exorbitantly expensive, well outside the range any normal person could afford. And I don't think WPRI would license it out to a random private individual even if they could afford it, because then the chances of it ending up all over the internet are far greater. They would only license it out to genuine documentaries, news channels, etc. looking to use snippets for their projects.

Unfortunately, unless a disgruntled employee leaks the video to the internet or some hacker gets ahold of it I don't think it's likely we'll see the full high quality version anytime soon.

On the plus side, we know we'll be seeing at least a little bit of it in The Guest List, as there's the pre-fire shot that I took screencaps of and a couple seconds of Butler walking away from the stage in the trailer. I imagine we might get a few more pre-fire shots and a decent amount of footage from the initial stages of the fire and Butler's escape. Exactly how much, that remains to be seen. And it'll be better than nothing. But still disappointing that they choose to hold on to such an important piece of footage and not release it publicly.

Regarding the full length high-quality Butler video, I'm pretty sure WPRI are the only ones in possession of it, and getting ahold of it would be extremely difficult.

They very likely charge licensing fees (usually per second of footage) to use the footage. I'm not sure exactly how much a video like that goes for, but you can bet getting the full fire and pre-fire videos would be exorbitantly expensive, well outside the range any normal person could afford. And I don't think WPRI would license it out to a random private individual even if they could afford it, because then the chances of it ending up all over the internet are far greater. They would only license it out to genuine documentaries, news channels, etc. looking to use snippets for their projects.

Unfortunately, unless a disgruntled employee leaks the video to the internet or some hacker gets ahold of it I don't think it's likely we'll see the full high quality version anytime soon.

On the plus side, we know we'll be seeing at least a little bit of it in The Guest List, as there's the pre-fire shot that I took screencaps of and a couple seconds of Butler walking away from the stage in the trailer. I imagine we might get a few more pre-fire shots and a decent amount of footage from the initial stages of the fire and Butler's escape. Exactly how much, that remains to be seen. And it'll be better than nothing. But still disappointing that they choose to hold on to such an important piece of footage and not release it publicly.
    I think you're right subarctican. However I have heard rumors that some fire departments have a copy as well, for training purposes. It may be that all of them are the degraded version with the "Start Clock" captions. But they might be better quality than we have now. Anyone have any firefighter connections they can ask?

Hmm, that's a good point, there may be firefighter organizations that have a copy.

The other possibility I thought about the other day, albeit a bit far-fetched, is VHS tapes from when it was originally broadcast way back in the day. If anyone has a tape in decent condition, or knows someone who does, that could potentially yield a higher quality version of the video than what we currently have.

Lt. Frank - I'm in agreement with your ID's a good 85-90% of the time, but we may have to disagree on this Hoban/Dunbar issue.

(For some reason ID-ing can be very personal and people here are bound to sometimes disagree. That's probably why there were several heated "fights" over some ID's in the first thread, as you are probably aware.)

So I'm just going to throw out some observations on the two in question.

Hoban: He was a tall, lanky athlete (baseball, basketball, golf) who was at The Station partly to meet a client. (Hoban was doing personal financial planning and mortgages.) Maybe that's why he's the most dressed-up guy there; he's wearing a suit!
    Also, people from his past call him a real comedian, and he does take giving "devil horns" to an almost comic level. He's appears to to be doing it almost ironically. He is very young in his most oft-seen photo, but if you just add the years and the facial hair........

Dunbar: He was a punky rock 'n' roller-type, and not especially tall. In the basic pre-show clip I see him at :12 (again at :39) wearing a white, logo-ed jersey and throwing his arms in the air, just left of Glenn Therriault. He makes a toothy face and performs a cranking, rev-it-up motion. He just doesn't appear in the 2 screen captures; you have to watch the pre-show.

Frank, can we still be friends? lol

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post
    Lt. Frank - I'm in agreement with your ID's a good 85-90% of the time, but we may have to disagree on this Hoban/Dunbar issue.

(For some reason ID-ing can be very personal and people here are bound to sometimes disagree. That's probably why there were several heated "fights" over some ID's in the first thread, as you are probably aware.)

So I'm just going to throw out some observations on the two in question.

Hoban: He was a tall, lanky athlete (baseball, basketball, golf) who was at The Station partly to meet a client. (Hoban was doing personal financial planning and mortgages.) Maybe that's why he's the most dressed-up guy there; he's wearing a suit!
    Also, people from his past call him a real comedian, and he does take giving "devil horns" to an almost comic level. He's appears to to be doing it almost ironically. He is very young in his most oft-seen photo, but if you just add the years and the facial hair........

Dunbar: He was a punky rock 'n' roller-type, and not especially tall. In the basic pre-show clip I see him at :12 (again at :39) wearing a white, logo-ed jersey and throwing his arms in the air, just left of Glenn Therriault. He makes a toothy face and performs a cranking, rev-it-up motion. He just doesn't appear in the 2 screen captures; you have to watch the pre-show.

Frank, can we still be friends? lol
    Billoween- where are you thinking Andrew Hoban was? I didn't see anyone dressed up in a suit... but I also agree with Lt. Frank, I'm 99% positive that's Scotty Dunbar next to Derek Gray. He's short, and they came together. I recently looked up SD, and he still looks the same, albeit a bit older of course.

Also, who is the other guy with the long black hair next to Derek Gray?? Behind the blonde chick with the red shirt?

ETA: Carpenter, I see you down there!

Amanda - I'm saying that "your" and Frank's Scotty Dunbar is "my" Andrew Hoban. But I'm keeping an open mind...

I think the guy behind the gal in red with the long hair is Frank Canillas. He's now a mental health counselor at Lahey Health Behavior Services in Dovers, MA.

Re: the front door people.

Barylick, in his Tort lecture, makes it sound like hardly anyone escaped the front pile-up. But WTF John Barylick?...I count 42 who made it out the front, and I'm not including anyone who walked out; only the ones who really had to struggle or rely on assistance.

Liz Arruda - David Brennan - Stephen Bruno - Cathy Carignan - Richard DelSanto - Arthur Conway - Erick Dawson - Scott Dawson - Amanda Decesare - Joseph DiBona - Brandon Fravala - Steve Tavares
    John Fairbairn - Andrea Fairbairn - Lauren Hussey - Lisa Hale - Donna Innamorati - Adrian Krasinkas - Frances McMurray - Ed Nobles - Nancy Noyes - Charles O'Berg -
    Roberta Omelia - Erin Pucino - Tammy Passa - Alton Ramos - William Rancourt - Rob Riffe -Cathy Sagesta - Kathy Sullivan - Derrick Silva - Adam Tanzi - Frederick
    Vallente - Sharon Wilson

Then came the late ones that Dion referenced that were mostly pulled out by suited firemen: Gina Russo - Gina Gauvin - Donovan Williams - Jennifer Vieira - Mike Vargas - John Van Deusen - Joe Kinan - Dave Malagrino
    Last edited by billoween; 03-11-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Hi Folks!
    I went on the day. I was there 11-12:30 maybe, not totally sure. I left the plaque for Becky, a bit of a step up from a note card in a ziplock.

That was the most powerful experience I have ever had.

Billoween- If that was you who left the cigarette for Jeff, thank you. Seriously, that was really impactful and brought me immediately tears. I went to him first to tell him she was worth it and how much he meant to me for what he did.

There were people there, ABC 6 was there. It was good to see people there.

I sat with Becky for a while. I really didn't expect to cry so damn much. Twice ambulances drove by with sirens going and that was particularly difficult. A man and woman walked by and the man stuck his hand out and offer an apology. As I shook his hand he told me his wife was just over there, motioning across the memorial. This man pulled me into his arms and hugged me and I've never felt anything like that. He was interviewed by the news, I assume he is a survivor. I won't ever forget that interaction. The absolute reality of all of this has never been more apparent.

Walking around to memorialize the others hit me especially hard for what I've come to know of them from here and the book. My cousin knew young Al DiBonaventura. I called the tourism bureau to find out the location of the satellite memorial (behind Warwick city hall, near the Dunks) and of course the gentleman I spoke with grew up across from Dennis Smith.

Back to Becky, sitting there. A piper showed up and played Amazing Grace. Totally fitting. Totally gutting. I left her plaque and headed out after that. I was so emotional at that point anyway. I cried the entire hour and a half home thinking about that guy and his wife.

I feel better now that I grieved properly, finally. There's a part of me that actually feels ok now. I will be back for the anniversary next year.

I received an incredible gift, though. I friend of Jeff's reached out on Facebook. Then a friend of Becky's reached out. They both agreed that Jeff and Becky were each other's one. What amazing validation. I get to meet Becky's friend soon for coffee.

I'll try to dig up some more memories, too.

I see you too Commander! Lol!

Amanda - I'm saying that "your" and Frank's Scotty Dunbar is "my" Andrew Hoban. But I'm keeping an open mind...

I think the guy behind the gal in red with the long hair is Frank Canillas. He's now a mental health counselor at Lahey Health Behavior Services in Dovers, MA.
    Thank you Billoween for the Frank Canillas info- so that officially makes the blonde girl in the red shirt his (ex)fiancee Julie Belson! He's got his arms around her and is holding her from behind... and that was who he went to the show with, per his witness statement. I am also keeping an open mind re: the Dunbar/Hoban ID. I think I need to go back to the first thread and re-read who they have already identified.

Carpenter- Good to see you back. I'm glad you went to the memorial and had such a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Ah, you guys beat me to it! After Amanda inquired on the guy previously thought to be Eugene Avilez, I took another gander through my pics of people there that night and Francis Canillas jumped out at me. Here he is pictured, along with Derek Gray (D) and Scotty Dunbar, apparently a few weeks before the Station fire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canillas_Francis.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	54964Pic was posted in Dec 2013, but a comment says that it was almost 11 years... Assuming Derek Gray didn't cut his hair from the time this pic was taken, to 2/20/2003, how long would it take to get that hair length? In watching the video (between 0:10 and 0:12), you can really see how this is Francis Canillas and also Eugene Avilez (D). So anyway, it appears Frankie Canillas was already hanging around Scotty Dunbar and Derek Gray. And also thanks to info from Amanda, it looks like the red shirt girl is Julie Belson. Name:  Belson_Julie Pizzo.jpg
Views: 3716
Size:  6.6 KB

Billoween, I never claim to be absolute in my IDs. In my IDs, I often doubt myself, as in the ID of Cathren Prunier, which I am now certain is not her because 1) it doesn't look like her and 2) red shirt girl appears to be Julie Belson. I'm also not solid on the ID of Scotty Dunbar, but after your ID of Andrew Hoban, I went and took another look. I have to say that it looks like it could be Andrew Hoban. So now I don't know. Some IDs I'm fairly certain on, such as my Cynthia Nobles and Angela Ochs IDs. That guy in the light gray t-shirt arm-pumping @ 0:10 is not Scotty Dunbar.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 02-26-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Lt. Frank - I know what you mean; I'm already backing off on my Scotty Dunbar theory. And we have to remind ourselves that this is just the pre-show and it's about 20 minutes from pyro and people like Dunbar could be in the men's room or off getting a beer at this moment in time. But yeah--I do think we got Canillas & Belson. Nice work, Amanda.

Carpenter - We must have been at the Memorial at the same time. Yes, it is a little chilling when fire trucks or ambulances scream by, and even more so on an anniversary or late at night.

If the guy who hugged you was a little bit of an old hippie with a ponytail, that would have been Bruce Cain, who'd been engaged to Tina Ayer (D).

The bagpiper was cousin of Shawn Sweet's and he'd played at both Sweet's and Sweet's girlfriend Laura Gillet's funerals. He's a firefighter in the Boston area.
    I was talking to Linda Fisher at the time. She was pretty bundled up because I guess the cold is worse on scar tissue. She was also moved by the piper and luckily I had tissues to share.
    Later, she was helpful in detailing the set up of the atrium that night. Someday I want to have as complete as possible a picture of just how the atrium looked. Witness accounts do vary so.

There was a big guy who sat at Robert Young's marker for ages. I had to wonder if he was one of Young's surviving friends from that night, like Joe Lusardi or John Kudruck or Gary Stein.

I talked to a very nice older man who had worked at the same Warwick Holiday Inn as Pam Gruttadauria (D) and Donna Mitchell (D). Pam was the hotel's breakfast hostess and Donna (D) was the hotel's reservations supervisor. He'd been quite fond of them both.

I had a nice exchange, too, with a tall guy in a blue coat who was walking the whole circuit of the 100. But soon his tone changes and he gets way more intense. He tells me he's a sergeant with the Coventry FD and he says, "I was here that night...I still remember the smell," and he grits his teeth.
    So I'm all like ahh...whoa, shit, sorry, thanks for your efforts that night. So then I say, "I suppose you had a partner with you that night...how's your partner?" And he starts to answer, but then he's too choked up to get another word out. I mean anything. So I jump in immediately to try and defuse things some. I'm like no...that's alright, I get it, I get it, it's cool. And he gives me a little nod and I nod back and he continues his stroll through the rest of the 100 markers.
    Last edited by billoween; 03-04-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Glad to see that you got to meet Gina Gauvin. She has helped me so much with my bearded dragon. She is amazing.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Long time lurker here returning after a 4 year hiatus, it's really great seeing that this thread is still active, and thank you so much for the hard work y'all have done. Red shirt girl has always stuck out to me, so I'm glad she's finally been ID'd. I'm pretty sure you can see her in the fire video aswell, I believe she's the same girl walking towards the building at appoximately 3:47. I mean, I know that really doesn't matter or mean anything, I just thought it was interesting. I wish I had more to provide.

Welcome back, Tizzie and Noelle! Let's keep this going! And Tizzie, every piece of input is important IMO, sometimes all it takes is a second set of eyes to ID something or someone new.

Billoween, I love your stories. It sounds like that Coventy fireman still struggles with the scenes from that night...

ETA: I recently found this video of Dale Latulippe on the drums in the 80's. Dude was a badass!
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 03-02-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Wow Dale was good, Great find Commander.

Hey Lt. Frank- how sure are we on the Jeffrey Martin ID? I’m asking because I read something the other day that Dale Latulippe’s family saw him in the pre-fire video, and that he was right up front rocking out. Thoughts?

Oh, and that pic of Frank Canillas, Derek Gray and Scotty Dunbar is a great find! ��
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 03-02-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Amanda, Even though I'm not the one who made the Jeffrey Martin ID, I strongly believe it is him. Those dark arching eyebrows and the same hair. Was he there with Dale Latulippe's family?

How about this for a possible ID? However, I believe these two were there on business for Budweiser. It appears one of them is holding a beer. Would he have been drinking while there representing Budweiser? Would they have been wearing Budweiser stuff? I think they could be survivor Donald Norman Trudeau (left, with back toward camera) and victim Michael Cordier (right, facing camera). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cordier_Trudeau.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	54966
    I thought for a while now that guy looked like Michael Cordier Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cordier.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	54967, but what got me recently is this screen shot containing who I believe is the guy talking to "Michael Cordier" exiting the club Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b24d3a5e3a3dcf6c52c18f0ebd0441f4.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	54968 (looks like same coat with gray shirt). This is who I believe to be Donald Trudeau; picture taken about 10 years after the fire: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trudeau_Don.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	54969 He was probably the oldest person in the club.

And does anyone know about a survivor by the name of Beth Britcliffe? She was supposedly there that night and was also injured, but she doesn't appear on the list of patrons.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 03-03-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Lt. Frank- yes, I agree with you about Michael Cordier. It looks a lot like him, specifically the way he wears the hat and his ears. I think I saw that same guy in the pre-show video, I will have to try and dig it up for further comparison.

As for Dale Latulippe, I don't know who he was there with that night. For some reason I just picture him being short (like the guy ID'd as Jeff Martin) and based on what Dale's family said afterwards, he was seen in the video, right up front, giving devil horns.

I have not heard of Beth Britcliffe... where did you find her name? I don't see her in the witness statements either...
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 03-03-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Noelle - Great to see you back. Yeah, Gina Gauvin--really, why are some of the most seriously injured so freakin' nice? She told about a "rock cruise" she and some survivors and friends went on last year. No, I didn't ask if there was any pyro.

Tizzie - Excellent observation about Julie Belson's quite probable "reappearance." Makes sense. In her witness statement she says she had her bangs burned off, and later in the statement it's noted that she "sustained cuts to the abdomen and arms." Maybe she's approaching the building to look for Frank Canillas?

Amanda - Thank you. Plenty more stories to tell. Dion's a drummer; wonder if he'd ever seen this memorable clip of Latulipee.

Jeff Martin might have been a lawyer with John Hancock Insurance, but that didn't mean he was above making funny faces. Check out his shots on Pinterest. Turns out he was the son of a nationally-known mime by the name of Kenyon Martin. Kenyon studied mime under Marcel Marceau and became the artistic director of The National Mime Theater. So every time I see Jeff Martin's expressions, I can't help but wonder if his Dad had a big influence on him. (His mother, writer Suzanne Fox, gives one of the more graphic victim impact statements.)

Dale Latulipee (who was actually a friend of Brian Butler's) was reportedly sitting at the back bar with his friends, Marlene Raphael and Carolyn Moore, and right next to survivor Al Cambio. Maybe when you're 46, showing up to see GW and sitting around the bar IS rocking out. Possibly he was seen in the crowd during the "Desert Moon" opening, but of course that's not pre-show. Marlene says she last saw Dale heading toward the office area, while she and Carolyn went to the bar door exit.

I've made this new acquaintance, Lori, who was a real Station regular. She had tickets for the GW show, but didn't really care for GW the way her husband did. Anyhow, her pair of tickets ended up going to her friends Diane and Chris.

This couple, Diane and Chris, gave a ride that night to Kevin Washburn (D) and Mike Stefani. Lori says that Kevin and Mike jumped out of the car and ran right in so as not to miss anything. Meanwhile, Diane and Chris parked in The Cowesett Inn's lot. But...then they got into a fight over something and were still sitting in the car, trying to patch it up, when they saw smoke and fire coming from The Station.

Mike Stefani pulled out multiple people from the front--including my friend, Brandon Fravala--always apparently hoping the next one would be Kevin Washburn. He was a big tall dude who always wore his signature raccoon cap. Lori says that, not long after the fire, he was in a car accident that led to his vehicle going up in flames. He now works in the mental health field.

I've made this new acquaintance, Lori, who was a real Station regular. She had tickets for the GW show, but didn't really care for GW the way her husband did. Anyhow, her pair of tickets ended up going to her friends Diane and Chris.

This couple, Diane and Chris, gave a ride that night to Kevin Washburn (D) and Mike Stefani. Lori says that Kevin and Mike jumped out of the car and ran right in so as not to miss anything. Meanwhile, Diane and Chris parked in The Cowesett Inn's lot. But...then they got into a fight over something and were still sitting in the car, trying to patch it up, when they saw smoke and fire coming from The Station.

Mike Stefani pulled out multiple people from the front--including my friend, Brandon Fravala--always apparently hoping the next one would be Kevin Washburn. He was a big tall dude who always wore his signature raccoon cap. Lori says that, not long after the fire, he was in a car accident that led to his vehicle going up in flames. He now works in the mental health field.
    Crazy story about Mike Stefani! I wonder how he's doing now, after cheating death twice? I'm glad to see he works in the mental health field, as I am sure it's healing for him to be helping others. How do you meet all these people? Did you know Brandon Fravala before all this happened, or did you get to know him from researching the fire? Either way, great inside info, as always!

ETA: How do I find Jeff Martin's photos on Pinterest? I searched by name to no avail.
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 03-04-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Just do a Google search for 'Jeffrey Martin nightclub fire'. Anyway, here he is: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin_Jeffery.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	54970

Same for Beth Britcliffe. Google search 'Beth Britcliffe nightclub fire'. I want to know who this injured survivor is.

Same for Beth Britcliffe. Google search 'Beth Britcliffe nightclub fire'. I want to know who this injured survivor is.
    Lt. Frank- I agree. With the very little research I just did, Beth Britcliffe is not named anywhere on the google drive docs. I found an article from the 10th anniversary that stated she was "with Tracy King" that night, but that's it. She's not on the hospital lists or anything as far as I could see. Weird, right?

Guys, I'm guessing Beth Britcliffe may have been incorrectly named as a survivor when she got photographed at the park with actual survivor Walter Castle Jr. She has been called a childhood friend of Tracy King's, and was evidently living in the same apartment building as King in 2003.

Pinterest? - Just go search under Station Nightclub Fire - 2003. Lt. Frank will have a field day with the 470 photos.

Amanda - I kind of fell in with some survivors by going to the Memorial so frequently. And by going to all the anniversaries and the 11:07 "parties." And by eating lots at The Cowesett Inn. And by meeting Brandon Fravala, who I basically almost forced to see a therapist for his PTSD. And by meeting Brandon's acquaintances. And by being such an idiot savant about this tragedy; you know, like I can't remember where I set down my keys, but I know who was in the main bar and wearing a green coat. So I gradually got a little bit of a reputation for knowing some answers to things, and many survivors have a lot of specific questions. I do want you to know that I've tried to be a good ambassador for all of us and demonstrate the same goodwill and empathy we've all shown here over the months and years.

Tizzie - Excellent observation about Julie Belson's quite probable "reappearance." Makes sense. In her witness statement she says she had her bangs burned off, and later in the statement it's noted that she "sustained cuts to the abdomen and arms." Maybe she's approaching the building to look for Frank Canillas?
    I think I found the article you mentioned.

"I was in the front row with my boyfriend and I saw it catch fire," said Belson, a dental assistant from Rowley. "It was growing. It was really hot. The heat was like crazy. It burned off my bangs. My instinct was to grab my bag."
    Belson was briefly lost in blinding, black smoke. Then she found a window. But not her boyfriend. "I don't remember if anyone helped me and I don't remember landing," she said. "I just remember turning around and he wasn't there."
    Outside and badly shaken, Belson stumbled into her boyfriend, who was covered with soot and was listed last night in serious condition at Rhode Island Hospital with burns to his face and hands. "I couldn't believe how fast it all happened," said Belson, who said she could spot herself and her boyfriend in the television tape of the fire."

I think this confirms that it's definitely Julie's reappearance, she's carrying a bag in the video & the woman's hands & arms look to be injured.

I was wrong; you go to Pinterest>search>select "People">put in "Bill Franz"
    Last edited by billoween; 03-11-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Billoween- def a possibility, but I saw more than one article with her being identified as a survivor with severe injuries. Different years too. Weird. We will get it figured out, I’m sure!

Beth has 5 entries on RI Voters .com (she gets to vote five times?) Scroll down near the bottom of this page- https://rivoters.com/by_name/pages/b100918.html Two of them are as Bethann, so that's likely her legal name and she's not Elizabeth. Although, not all states require the exact legal name from one's ID as the voter registry name. I once got two summonses to jury duty here in L.A. for the same week. One for my legal strawman and the other for the name I use in real life, which is also my voter name.
    Looks like Beth was 37 at the time of the fire and I'm betting the Belinda who is 14 years older is her sister. You know how parents love their letter-matching first names. Edit: Unless Belinda was married to Wayne and kept his name even though they no longer live together. They were born less than a year apart. That makes sense.
    Last edited by RodentLady; 03-04-2020 at 09:07 PM.

So...come the end of anniversary night, after everyone else had left, it was just Brandon Fravala and me sitting in his car and smoking a last cigarette while staring out at the Memorial.

I had to ask Brandon about driving home the night of the fire with his two surviving friends, Chris Costa and Bill Chappell. (They were all living in Westerly, Rhode Island, at the time.) I wanted to know what on Earth they talked about during the long drive home. Brandon tells me they didn't talk at all. He says he was definitely in shock--he wonders if he should even have been driving--and says he doesn't think anyone said a single word.

Back to the Memorial...where it's now nearing 1 a.m. and nobody is around-- until, suddenly, one man wanders in on his lonesome. He begins walking the circuit of the deceased, many of their markers now decorated with flowers and momentos from the day.

Eventually the man completes his loop, and as he begins to leave through the front arches I look more closely; and it's Jim Paolucci, the owner of The Cowesett Inn, and, yeah, he looks pretty emotional.

Brandon and I both call him over--Jim does know us both--and we try to remind him again of how much his family did for the community and the people; how they'd really gone beyond the call of duty by opening up their family restaurant to be the triage that night. He nodded and did seem to take it in. (After a waitress had hesitated, it was his mother, Yola, who took charge and she was like--yes, let them come in, let them all come in.)

A couple of years ago, Jim Paolucci gave me a mini-tour of The Cowesett in which he'd detailed who was where that night. ("Command Center was here...most severely injured over here...arriving families were put back there.") At one point he'd sighed and said, "I can remember everything like it just happened last night."

Brandon told me that after The Cowesett's service that night, it had been closed for a number of weeks--for all-out cleaning, painting, and the installation of fresh carpeting.

It seems that Beth Britcliffe is an "injured survivor" by association to Tracy King and Walter Castle. Gotta love the media sometimes... Billoween - love the stories you have to tell. You have quite a connection to the events that night. But who is this survivor "Bill Chappell"? He doesn't appear in my records.

Hey guys, just stopping in quick to ask this, as I can’t seem to find any info on it: who is the guy in front of the front door fiddling with the banner on the railing? Big guy, baseball cap, pony tail and black and white tops. Has he ever been identified?? His demeanor on the video has always bothered me. I get that everyone acts differently during an emergency, but that dude looked like he didn’t have a care in the world?!?
    Last edited by CommanderAmander; 03-07-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Never attempted to identify that guy, but he was probably inebriated.

You guys are sending me back to the pre-show pronto. But I have some unfinished Barylick biz first.

Okay, there are three more things I want Barylick to consider if he ever updates "Killer Show."

1.) Please give Brian Butler credit for kicking out the small panel at the atrium/greenhouse. We actually see it save lives--and yet his deed goes entirely unmentioned in the book.

2.) A big deal is made out of the fact that State Fire Marshall Owen's nephew was at The Station that night. He's said to have been taken to Rhode Island Hospital, but he's never ever identified. Name please? (I think it's Christopher Nowicki.)

3.) According to Barylick: "...the inward-opening [stage] door, while a repeated fire code violation, played no part in the outcome; it is seen on the Butler video wide open during the entire event."

No, it is seen wide open from the 5:00 minute mark on. And that's far from the entire event. Walter Castle barely survived while wrestling with that door earlier. It's wide open at 5:00 because Castle busted the hinges. Walter Castle's Grand Jury testimony is pretty intense. (side note: wonder who dropped the square-shaped tambourine seen on the ground?)

I have watched this video a million times and I apologize but I am not sure exactly at what point in the video Brian Butler did that...I guess so much is happening I see it and yet still don't see it...
    Apologies if I am missing something

Hi buskatita! Are you referring to when BB broke the panel in the greenhouse? If so, it’s really easy to miss and I just recently was able to see it myself. He does it a few seconds after he exits the front door and faces the camera at the black panels of the green house. I thought it was more of a punch, but he does stop and break a panel, then continues on to the side of the building. I will try to get a screenshot for you.

Lt. Frank - I like the Trudeau and Cordier ID's. Guess they both worked for McLaughlin and Moran, the Anheuser-Busch distributor for Rhode Island. Yeah, Trudeau, at 57, must have been the oldest person in the building. (The oldest THING in the building was probably Jack Russell's liver.) (rimshot)

Also, I seem to recall that way way back, Bill Chappell's being left off early police lists of attending patrons was a point of conversation here briefly. I don't know why he was omitted, but there is a statement from him in the RIAG material.

We do know that Chappell wasn't interviewed until 5-8-03, when the RISP police had to send two detectives to the Bergin Minimum Security Correctional Facility in Storrs, Connecticut, to meet with him. Don't know what he did to get locked up.

Brandon Fravala says that Chappell was really Chris Costa's friend, and that he hasn't seen Chappell since the fire. Chappell got out the bar door very early because he hadn't pushed up closer to GW like Brandon and Costa had.

Amanda - I've always wondered who that complacent guy at the railing is. But here's more about the banner situation itself:

Item # 607 from the Civil Warehouse Inventory of recovered items is "a metal railing painted black from front entrance with remains of banner attached." So I guess it was only the righthand side that got cut by Bettencourt; you can see him do it at 2:27. Bettencourt said he cut the banner to add an escape path through the center. I know Brandon Fravala got pulled out through the railing that way by Mike Stefani, who was standing on the ground in front. Regarding the banner removal, Brandon said, "It was good to finally be able to see what was going on."

There's a last photo of Kevin Anderson (D) from the night of the fire. It's of him standing alone in front of the foam wall along the elevated area, to the left of the stage. It's one of 13 photos taken that night by Linda Ormerod, the girlfriend of his good friend, Neil Cronin. (Google Drive - Linda Ormerod 007.jpg)

Kevin Anderson, 37, of Warwick, drove to The Station in his prized '90 Chevy Corsica. George Smith and another friend (still unidentified) had bought him a ticket and talked him into coming.

They'd felt he needed to get back into life after having had a heart attack a few years earlier. He'd been left with a diagnosis of congestive heart failure, a condition that kept him from working his job anymore and forced him to undergo regular check-ups at Kent County Hospital in Warwick. His father, William Anderson, told the Boston Globe, "He'd been sick for a while. But not many people knew about it. He was quiet about it."

But George Smith and the unknown friend obviously knew about it. And once they lured Kevin back to The Station, the well-liked Kevin also got to hang out again with many of his old club friends: like Neil Cronin, Tim Rossano, Jon Schmidt, Kelly Beers, and the aforementioned photo-taker, Linda Ormerod.

Close to 11pm, George Smith-and-friend ran out of cash and decided to leave the club and hunt for an ATM. They'd checked in with Kevin to see if he wanted to join the search, but Kevin was busy talking to a girl.

Well.....George Smith-and-friend did find their ATM. But when they returned to The Station with cash, it was already engulfed in flames.

Lori, a Station regular--just not on 2-20--and a good friend of George's said the following:
    "George was a complete mess for months after that. I'd call to check on him and he wasn't talking to anyone. He took my call and was sobbing...he felt responsible for his friend's death because they'd bought him the ticket and talked him into going. Nothing I could say to him would convince him it wasn't his fault. It took him a very long time to make peace with it."

-----I got to meet Kevin Anderson's son, Kevin Gage, at the last anniversary. (He always takes that day off work now.) He told me he was only 11 at the time of the fire. And that he'd been told later that his father probably had only six months to live, what with his serious heart condition.

Kevin Jr. had heard all about the friends who'd left for the ATM, by the way. Also, he said that when he was old enough to drive he already had his first car: his Dad's old '90 Chevy Corsica.