Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23303132
Results 1,551 to 1,563 of 1563

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

I can see Sub's text only if I highlight it. Seems like the text is sometimes coloured white and the background is white too.

I've been wondering, if we believe that the footage was at some point publically available (can't remember who/when it was it said the footage was available in vhs/dvd format). Is it possible to request it? Do we have more info on the publically available footage -- like, who was selling it (WRPI I assume?), and why?
    Last edited by Yoyoyo; 10-21-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markinthedark View Post
    …perhaps there was more conversation in the first 4 minutes of the 8 minute tape. Which, ultimately indicates we were not hearing the dying gasps of Pickett at the end of the 90 second clip.
    Welcome Mark and other newbies. We've only been analyzing the short bit of the Pickett tape audio that has come to light for less than a year. So more details will likely be fleshed out. But I wanted to go on record that according to p. 113 of Killer Show, the Pickett tape is 25-30 minutes long. The first 15 minutes is preshow. Then as the fire starts, we begin the excerpt played by Barylick in his presentation. It ends with the sound of someone gasping for air. Based on the proximity I'm pretty sure it's Pickett. And this very likely indicates when the smoke layer descends on him. We can assume he was quickly overcome with smoke inhalation, and according to the book his tape continues recording for 10 minutes after that. Chilling.
    Last edited by dionyzus; 10-21-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Oh is my previous post not showing? I was having some formatting issues but it looks fine on my end. I've got the dark background though so the white text looks fine on it. Is there a way to make the text color "neutral" so that it shows up visible regardless of color theme (i.e. dark text when viewing the light theme, white text when viewing the dark theme, etc.)?

I just rewatched the Safety first version of this tragedy for the billionth time and I'm noticing that people in the "front" "middle" and "further back" pointing at the the fire just as Ty is looking at it and I'm hearing "fire, fire" before it's truly noticed how dangerous the situation has become and I'm guessing because it's so loud no one is really noticing (on stage) and it's kind of sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    I just rewatched the Safety first version of this tragedy for the billionth time and I'm noticing that people in the "front" "middle" and "further back" pointing at the the fire just as Ty is looking at it and I'm hearing "fire, fire" before it's truly noticed how dangerous the situation has become and I'm guessing because it's so loud no one is really noticing (on stage) and it's kind of sad really.
    The thing is I’m pretty sure they DID notice. The drummer certainly would have. Ty looked back multiple times. I remember reading that JR did look back a couple times too but it’s not picked up on camera because the camera’s not on him when he does so. They didn’t want to ruin their set — image was important to them (especially JR). In show business the usual mantra is just to keep going e.g. if someone falls or you make a mistake. They were probably thinking “keep playing — someone will put the fire out and it we’ll make a joke about it at the end of the song”. Obviously they didn’t know just how FAST the fire would spread, but the extra few seconds could have saved multiple lives. Plus, if instead of saying “that’s not good” (which understated the whole situation, probably relaxing people) JR had said “please make your way out using all available exits including the one over here [stage door]” it wouldn’t have been such a tragedy.

My dad is a firefighter and generally he’s VERY fast to react to any kind of emergency which has made me pretty fast to react too. Like someone needing medical assistance for example. I always call an ambulance immediately and go to help them, whereas a lot of other people just stand around staring. You never know if a few seconds will mean life over death. Maybe afterwards it turns out you overreacted and look a bit silly, much better than knowing you could have saved someone but didn’t.

Yes, several members noticed for sure. We can clearly see Ty Longley and the bass player looking up at it in the last couple seconds before Brian Butler moves away from the stage, and in his grand jury testimony the drummer mentions it as well:

"I looked at it and I was, like holy shit, but um, I thought it was pretty small at the time, it was right off the bat I thought somebody was gonna to come up to put it out, I didn't think there'd be a problem, so I didn't want to - it concerned me but I didn't want to stop playing and get bitched out, like what the hell are you doing stopping the show and, that was my main thought, but then it start - nobody came up, it started gettin' bigger and then I saw Dan run up and try to throw water ... I saw, you know, the flame was just rapidly growing. I was like that isn't gonna do shit. I stopped playing before anybody in the band and I, and I ran out. Well, I got out of the cove and by the time I turned around that flame was up on, over the, getting over the ceiling, onto the ceiling and I heard the security guard, I didn't see him, but I heard him say, get the fuck out of here."

If Jack Russell did notice, it probably wasn't until fairly late. He obviously doesn't see it when he's on camera and seems oblivious to the several fans near the front that start pointing and waving and yelling just before Butler moves away, and in this picture which Adam Florio took several seconds after Butler moved away, Jack Russell and Mark Kendall are still seemingly oblivious to it.

As far as making an announcement goes, it surely would've helped a lot. However, I would personally put that responsibility on the security staff rather than Jack or anyone in the band. I doubt most musicians at any given show in a random city have any serious knowledge of the venue layout or how to initiate an evacuation, etc. They're just there to entertain people for the evening, anything safety/security related should be handled by appropriately trained venue staff... and of course that was just one of the countless shortcomings of the Station and its management.
    Last edited by subarctican; 10-24-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Yeah I’m not really expecting performers ordinarily to direct an evacuation. But the fact that they were the cause of the fire makes me think they should have taken charge a little more. JR felt the need to comment SOMETHING. Too bad it couldn’t have been something constructive. That said, in this whole course of events, nobody was 100% responsible. It would’ve made more sense for a staff member to have jumped up and made an announcement. Everything that happened was a shitshow from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo View Post
    Yeah I’m not really expecting performers ordinarily to direct an evacuation. But the fact that they were the cause of the fire makes me think they should have taken charge a little more. JR felt the need to comment SOMETHING. Too bad it couldn’t have been something constructive. That said, in this whole course of events, nobody was 100% responsible. It would’ve made more sense for a staff member to have jumped up and made an announcement. Everything that happened was a shitshow from start to finish.
    Have to agree here. And now JD's words will truly now go down in history..."it's going to be a killer show". Sadly, JR yes it was. Yes it REALLY was.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo View Post
    I wanted to add that I always thought JR's comment "that's not good" was part of his schtick. He had been known for making little sarcastic asides, like near the beginning of their 1991 song Call It Rock 'n Roll, which bears more than a passing resemblance to their hit Once Bitten Twice Shy. As the guitars and drums come in, he mutters "sound familiar?" to be self effacing I guess. But unfortunately the Station Fire, which had just erupted behind him, was no time or place to be making jokes.

I agree that he should have encouraged everyone to leave the nearest exit in an orderly fashion, but you're right yoyo that it's probably more the responsibility of the venue to make PA announcements like that. And although he can't be faulted too much, he was reacting in a matter of seconds after seeing the flames, but I'm sure he had many sleepless nights later wishing he had said something more helpful.

What I do fault JR for is insisting on using pyro in so many small clubs without taking any precautions. They used to be an arena band, so I know they were familiar with the personnel involved with putting on a show, and the protocols for safety, OSHA etc. that go along with that. I don't think he can claim ignorance when there wasn't a fire extinguisher within 100 feet, or more, of the stage at the Station.

Subarctican - I liked your Eric Powers excerpt. (And this time I had no problem reading your entry.)

Speaking of the band members awareness of the fire, here's a quote from GW's Mark Kendall:

"I had my sunglasses on, so I really couldn't see what was happening. But it didn't look that bad at first. It was when the stage door opened that things became chaos."

--Power of the Mic--

-Kevin Beese, Station manager: "I figured Jack Russell would have turned around and maybe told his fans to calm down and exit calmly, but he jumped off the stage and ran."

-Tom Conte, Fathead lead vocalist, also brought up "the power of the mic," in an interview and, with it, his disappointment that Russell didn't have the presence of mind to maximize HIS power.

-In the Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire, 18 year-old busboy Walter Bailey stepped way out of his comfort zone to take to the stage and grab the microphone from a comedian; he'd decided he didn't care if it got him fired. One account has him saying this to everyone in the club's Cabaret Room:

"I want everyone to look to my right. There is an exit in the right corner of the room. And look to my left. There's an exit on the left. And now look to the back. There's an exit in the back. I want everyone to leave the room calmly. There's a fire at the front of the building."

What if Russell had at least tossed the cordless mic to Vanner or Vieira or Arpin? This was Russell's third time playing at The Station, though, and it's nice and empty for sound checks, so I'm surprised he wasn't more familiar with the exits. But I'm probably expecting too much of him. Now, there was a mic at the soundboard, but sitting in for the highly-experienced Vanner (who was moved to the monitor board that night) was GW's soundman, Bob Rager.
    Last edited by billoween; 10-25-2020 at 07:34 PM.

^ Funny that you mentioned the busboy from the Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire, I was just reading about that the other day. If only someone at the Station had had the common sense to do something similar, who knows how differently things could have gone...

A detailed evacuation plan should be part of every staff member's training at any business of this sort. Imagine one member taking the mic and making an announcement to the crowd while others coordinate getting people out, including pointing out the bar room exit and guiding people to the kitchen exit. And of course, allowing people through the stage exit while it was still viable.

And yeah, using pyro in small venues like this without safety precautions is just mind boggling. Especially not having a fire extinguisher within arm's reach, that alone could have prevented all of this and you'd think it would be a blatantly obvious thing to do even if no other precautions were taken.

Rodentlady - When I was at the Memorial last Friday, I made a point of checking out the timeline display with you in mind. It now shows 462 for the number of people present when the fire started. So maybe your fact-checking of them had an impact? (Yes, I'd still prefer it to say 464.)

Remember, too, that approximately 16 people left the club for various reasons. Like to smoke a joint, to put a coat in a car, to find am ATM machine, to take a sick girlfriend home, to pick up someone from the Providence bus station, etc. It sounds like if everyone had just stayed put inside we'd be looking at about 480 people total.

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post
    It now shows 462 for the number of people present when the fire started.
    Wonderful news, billoween!! This pleases me. Thank you for letting me know!

I'm only aware of 459 whose names match up with evidence from the AG.