Thread: Josephine Baker

Josephine Baker

Are there any Josephine Baker fans out there? She was a wonderful woman in every sense.

Guest Guest
    Zou Zou was a great film, don't let the French subtitles put you off. I didn't care for Princesse Tam Tam, though.

Irishlass Guest
    she was such a fasinating woman..a women living before her time.

Btvs2678 Guest
    Never heard of her. Oh goodie, a new celeb to Google!

There's a great book (and movie with Lyn Whitfield) called, The Josephine Baker story. She really was ahead of her time: adopting ethnic children LONG before Brad and Angelina..she called them her rainbow tribe. Not to mention she was smokin' hot, even when she was older!

Guest Guest
    Yeah Josie was some hot chocolate MILF, alright. There's a good bio on her called Jazz Cleopatra if you can find it.

tragic for her in the end but she was definitely a women before her time

HOT! but she was more than looks.

poppie Guest
    One of her sons owns a restaurant in New York City. Yes, she was a very fascinating woman - and was she really a spy during world war 2?

Yes, she was! She help the French Resistance in their cause. Because of that, she was given a state funeral fit for the highest dignataries in France.
    Also, her resturants, Chez Josephine are still going strong here in NYC.
    Not bad for a poor girl from St. Louis who was born in an abandoned railroad car!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

monroe27 Guest
    Josephine Baker was awesome. I love the movie with Lynn Whitfield. I have been trying to locate it on dvd.

Let's hear it for Joesphine........

Jazbabee Guest
    Has anyone found any follow up information on her children, and what they might be up to now ?

Her twelve adopted children were: Akio (male), Janot (male), Luis (male), Jari (male), Jean-Claude (male), Moise (male), Brahim (male), Marianne (female), Koffi (male), Mara (male), Noel (male), Stellina (female).
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

cherryghost Guest
    let me check my old bohemian library, I mean that in a humble sense! I think I have a bio of hers and I can go to it if anyone wants me too !

HER FAMOUS 'BANANA DANCE'

NAME: Freda McDonald aka Josephine Baker

BIRTH DATE: 1906
    BIRTH PLACE: St. Louis, Missouri
    EDUCATION: Dropped out of school at the age of 12.

FAMILY BACKGROUND: Josephine Baker's mother was Carrie McDonald and her father was Eddie Carson. Arthur Martin was her stepfather. Her siblings were Richard, Margaret and Willie Mae. Josephine's first husband was Willie Wells; her second husband was Willie Baker; her third husband was Jean Lion; and, her fourth husband was orchestra leader Jo Bouillon. Her twelve adopted children were: Akio (male), Janot (male), Luis (male), Jari (male), Jean-Claude (male), Moise (male), Brahim (male), Marianne (female), Koffi (male), Mara (male), Noel (male), Stellina (female). Josephine's last marriage was to American Artist Robert Brady.

DESCRIPTION OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Overcoming the limitations imposed by the color of her skin, she became one of the world's most versatile entertainers, performing on stage, screeen and recordings. Josephine was decorated for her undercover work for the French Resistance during World War II. She was a civil rights activist. She refused to perform for segregated audiences and integrated the Las Vegas nightclubs. She adopted twelve children from around the world whom she called her "Rainbow Tribe."

DATE OF DEATH: Josephine died in 1975, in her sleep, after a large party given in her honor.
    PLACE OF DEATH: She died in Paris and was buried in Monaco. She became the first American woman to receive French military honors at her funeral

Last edited by hell0kitty; 07-10-2008 at 01:54 AM.
    pull the string!

Sam Guest
    I just wish Diana Ross had been able to do the "Josephine Baker" story like she always wanted to...that would have been FANTASTIC!!!
    Diana's too old now and admits it...

Noreen Guest
    She was wonderful! RIP Josephine, May the Goddess hold you close.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Are there any Josephine Baker fans out there? She was a wonderful woman in every sense.
    I love her. Had never heard of her until I saw the movie and started reading about her.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Maruz83 Guest
    I think I think Beyonce is doing this movie isn't she ?

bunny Guest

who was this?

Who was the dancer, years ago that moved to France she would adopt kids...I cant think of her name...

Josephine Baker?

bunny Guest
    ya cool thank you!!!!

Roaming Tigress Guest
    I found this video of Josephine Baker, and thought I'd share it with you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsXyD...eature=related

Seagorath Guest
    I love Josephine Baker...one of my favorites...and a sexy gal.

Last edited by Seagorath; 09-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.

LadyDay Guest
    I love the way she died. A party in her honour, went off to bed laughing. Died in her sleep and didn't feel a thing. I'd love to go that way.

darock299 Guest
    diana ross doing josephine baker?....she messed up playing billie holiday in lasy sings the blues....lynn whitfield did a great job playing baker though

Screwtape Guest
    Josephine is getting the Barbie treatment this year.

Hollywood Royalty

Screwtape Guest

Guest Guest
    That is a hot doll
    I have been a Josephine Baker fan for over 20 years. She was a beautiful and courageous woman. Grace kelly was a great friend to her.
    There is a wonderful book about her called 'Naked at the feast'.
    Josephine learned to speak french in a very short time and became a legend there.
    One of my favourite Baker songs is 'Avec'. She was a true diva, but refreshingly - a nice one!

Believe it or not, I remember when she died back in 1975. They showed a clip on the news but of course I didn't know who she was back in the day. What a wonderful woman.

Guest Guest
    One of very few showbiz types I admired! She fought against so many obstacles and came out on top!
    I would have loved to have seen Josephine onstage - I've seen dvds and she was fan-bloody-tastic!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Miss Josephine is in my top 3, bar none

MorbidMolly Guest

Guest Guest
    Great pics MM

Guest Guest

MorbidMolly Guest

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Nicely done V
    Thanks Mollypies

She's being reinterred in the Pantheon in Paris.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...on-1235001274/

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I just wish Diana Ross had been able to do the "Josephine Baker" story like she always wanted to...that would have been FANTASTIC!!!
    Diana's too old now and admits it...
    Sadly would of like to see Dorothy Dandridge play her.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

BIG correction to my previous post: At the request of her family, she'll remain buried in Monaco. In the pantheon, a coffin was entombed bearing handfuls of dirt from four important locations in her life -- Saint-Louis, Paris, her chateau at Milandes and Monaco. This ceremony honors her by inducting her (the first black woman, and only the sixth woman) in the Pantheon.
    https://www.cnn.com/style/article/jo...ntl/index.html
    https://european-security.com/joseph...-the-pantheon/

Her funeral in Monaco; Princess Grace handled the funeral expenses.

I found this info on FAG from a contributor named Linda Davis - I hope it's ok to post it. If not, I'll remove the post:

"Several of her children returned to their country of origin to live a simple, humdrum life, yet one committed suicide, another was hospitalized long-term with schizophrenia, and another died young with cancer. On August 24, 2021, it was announced that Josephine Baker would be honored at the Pantheon Mausoleum in Paris, France."
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain