Thread: Family of Four Found Dead in Burned Tampa Mansion

Family of Four Found Dead in Burned Tampa Mansion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ped-heads.html

" Police sources in Tampa identified four people found dead this morning in a raging fire at tennis star James Blake's mansion as Darrin Campbell, his wife Kimberly and their teenage children Colin and Megan.
    While there was no official confirmation of the victims, public records list Campbell and his family, a well known businessman in the south Florida area, as living at the home Blake was renting out.
    The four bodies were recovered from the burnt out home, but have yet to be officially identified.
    The 7,600-square foot home million-dollar home, located inside the exclusive Avila Golf and Country Club north of downtown Tampa, went up in flames around 6a.m.
    A Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokesman said: 'We have just been given the all clear to go into the property. The bodies are still in there.'
    Neighbors in the exclusive cul-de-sac also said a family of four lived in the home.
    Mr Campbell's mother confirmed to MailOnline that her son was living in the home owned by James Blake.

Blake, who retired from professional tennis last year, was reportedly at his Connecticut residence at the time of the fire.
    According to TMZ Sports, the family had been living in the house for a little more than a year and kept to themselves. Both children, Colin, 19, and Megan, 16, attended Carrollwood day school, and the principal reportedly said this afternoon that they will be missed. Guards were posted at the front gate, turning away visitors, Fox 13 reported.
    According to her Twitter, Megan has just yesterday won an academic award at the school.
    It's unclear whether the four people found dead in the house were killed by the fire or some other cause.
    TV reporter Meredyth Censullo, most recently of ABC, tweeted that the victims had 'gunshot wounds to the head.'
    In a follow up tweet, she cited a source as saying the bodies found in the burning mansion 'had heavy duty fireworks wrapped around their heads.'

Darrin Campbell was reportedly found dead on the floor, and Kimberly in a bed. It's not clear where the children were found.
    Censullo tweeted that several gas cans were found on the second floor of the mansion.
    Campbell, 51, has held a number of senior jobs with south Florida based companies after graduating from Michigan University.
    His most high profile position was with P.O.D.S - the company that makes portable storage containers.
    Based in Clearwater, he was chief executive of the company for just under three years.
    Campbell, who is originally from Detroit, Michigan, began his career in 1992 at Ford Motor Co, according to an article in the Tampa Bay Times.
    He worked in various financial positions, principally financial analysis before moving to San Antonio, Texas as chief financial officer for the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer company.
    In 2000 he relocated to Tampa and joined Anchor Glass Container Co. as senior vice president of sales, leaving as chief executive to join PODS.
    He later joined Tampa based Ivans Insurance Solutions but left three years ago.
    A spokesman for the company said they did not believe he had a job to go to when he quit the company."

So .......... the possibility of fireworks strapped to their heads...... This is a very interesting case. Hit? Drug deal gone bad? Suicide and murder?

Wow. Fireworks, gas cans. What the hell??? I'm very interested to see what happens here.
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin

Wendy A. Guest
    Yeah me too! I've not seen anything about it on the news either (go figure) the fireworks strapped to their heads is just trippy! What a fucked up way to die!

Here we go.... Here's a local article on it with some pics. http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ound_dead.html no mention of fireworks, but mentioned 2 of the bodies had upper body trauma. I hope it was the parents and not the kids.
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 05-08-2014 at 06:22 AM.

M-80s,Cherry Bombs ??????

I don't find it suspicious. I strap explosives to my head every time I go to sleep, aswell as when I'm BBQ'ing.

Nothing to see here.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

The Husband was the one who had recently purchased the gas and fireworks. Very sad. Looks like some sort of murder suicide. Note in the article there are pictures of him making the purchases.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1786184

"A despondent Florida dad gunned down his wife and two teen-age kids before torching their fireworks-strewn mansion and killing himself, authorities said Friday.
    Darrin Campbell shot spouse Kimberly and kids Colin, 19, and Megan, 15, in their heads during the carnage in a sprawling home owned by retired tennis star James Blake.
    Campbell, 49, spilled gasoline around the posh five-bedroom residence before setting the Wednesday morning fire, authorities said.
    The fireworks, left in rooms throughout the rented home, began exploding in the darkness as flames gutted the 5,856-square-foot estate, officials said.
    Campbell then pumped one final bullet into his own head from the .40-caliber handgun purchased last year and registered in his name, said Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Col. Donna Lusczynski.
    “This is certainly disturbing,” the colonel told a Friday news conference.
    Investigators were still hunting for a motive in the murder-suicide case, going through the family’s finances and other records found inside the charred ruins of the Avila, Fla., residence.

Campbell has no previous criminal record, according to Lusczynski.
    Authorities revealed that Campbell, dressed casually and showing no signs of distress, purchased $650 worth of fireworks and several empty gas cans three days before the killings.
    A sales clerk at Phantom Firework described the former high-profile business executive as normal and chatting, adding that he was doing some early Fourth of July shopping.
    The fireworks were apparently intended to keep the arson fire burning after Campbell took his own life.
    Blake, 34, a Yonkers native, retired from pro tennis after last year’s U.S. Open. The Campbells began renting the home from the athlete about two years ago."

A rich white male that can't take his life going down a grade.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    A rich white male that can't take his life going down a grade.
    You nailed it! We've seen it so many times here in the last few years, sad he took the wife and kids with him. Still curious as to what the hell he was doing with the fireworks? Going out with a bang I guess?

Hollarwood Guest
    Very interesting case. Curious to see what the actual truth is concerning this.

My first thought was muder-suicide with the father/husband as the murderer. Sadly, this is looking like the case. Take your whole family out and burn some _other guy"s_ house down! Why does that sound like a real solution for some people? Really sad.

Why not just blow your own brains out and save everyone else from your path of destruction? Asshole.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Why not just blow your own brains out and save everyone else from your path of destruction? Asshole.
    He couldn't let them be happy without him don't ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    He couldn't let them be happy without him don't ya know?
    So true. He must have been one hell of a man.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    So true. He must have been one hell of a man.
    He seemed to be a man all tied up in his image and being perceived as being successful. I suspect he was a monster behind closed doors and miserable to live with. He couldn't off himself and let them enjoy life without him.

PurrPurr Guest
    Avila killer at center of securities fraud scandal

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...candal/2179772

Great find, PurrPurr!

I'm probably stating the obvious, but the bit about his Christmas decorations being over-the-top and encroaching into the neighbors' yards and his fixation on said decorations certainly points to someone willing to do just about anything to look superior to his perceived peers, to the cost of well, everything else. It's sad and infuriating- and ragingly egotistical- to think your family would be better off dead than dealing with your shame. There's a part of this guy who must have thought they literally couldn't survive without them.

Wendy A. Guest
    Money is the root of all evil (so they say) I think wealth can be an addiction like drugs.. some people can never have enough. We see it all the time, we question it all the time like "how much money does he really need? He's a millionaire!" type of thing.. I think when they lose it, they go into a full withdrawal.. some can handle it and get over it, many don't, sometimes we see it when they make the news as in this case. I remember when the recession first hit there were some cases like this. I remember that happened in Indianapolis I do believe, one where the husband was a big wig at a bank, lost his job and was going to lose his multi million dollar home.. so he kills his 2 kids (both under age 10), his wife and put a bullet in his brain. They cannot fathom life without wealth. It's sad really, to think there's people out there that are so shallow and they think money is the true meaning and key to life and happiness. I bet when this guy was out doing the neighbors with the Christmas decorations, it wasn't because it made his kids happy or because he was religious or anything... he was one-upping the Jone's.
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 05-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.

The fireworks threw me at first. Totally didn't see the murder/suicide coming with this one. When will I learn? SMH
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin