Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    It really scares me that people like you exist. The fact that you can't differentiate between human life and animal life just makes me sad.

It really scares and disgusts me that people like Vick are in the world. We are put on earth to take care of the animals...not torture and kill them. I will always say that if someone can do this to a poor defenseless animal and get a thrill--they will most definitely do it to a human.

I totally agree with GrinReaper.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    He'd make a lousy hockey player anyway .

Dogfighting is a way of life where he's from. The message has already been sent, huge reforms have been made toward the matter. The number of incidents have decreased in light of him being exposed. Let him sit out another year, see what he does to make amends with the animal rights people. Everyone deserves a chance to make right their wrongs.

With all due respect...that is a load of crap. I am from the South and NO it is not a way of life here. That's just downright ridiculous. Let him right his wrongs...by getting the shit beat out of him...

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    just as a side note, my cousin grew up in the same town as he did -- went to rival high schools (and possibly shared a room in the nursery as they were born in the same hospital on the same day). As you can imagine, he was a standout even in highschool. My aunt says that it was common knowledge that he was into dog fighting even during his high school career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    With all due respect...that is a load of crap. I am from the South and NO it is not a way of life here. That's just downright ridiculous. Let him right his wrongs...by getting the shit beat out of him...
    My post was one that did not condone dogfighting. Dogfighting is cruel and against the law. Michael Vick grew up in a place where dogfighting was a way of life, the ghettos of Newport, Virginia, where one has to almost align himself in some sort of organized illegal activity to survive. Nowhere in my post was it stated that this heinous practice was culturally accepted in the South as a whole, and I would appreciate if whoever reads my posts not read anything other than what's written in them.

cachluv Guest
    Just my .02 cents:

My family is from Kentucky, and I was born there and spent summers there but grew up in Hampton, Va. That is the adjoining town to Newport News, Va. All towns have poor sections, and many towns have ghettos, but let me assure you, Newport News, Va. is not a ghetto town. There are some low income areas but it doesn't have any actual ghetto's or projects. Being from there let me also assure you, unless he had family in North Carolina (where alot of people in the Hampton Rhodes area are from, Hampton Rhodes being like a county if you will) who taught him dog fighting "as a way of life" then he is making it up. There is not and never was any dog-fighting traditions or matches or circuits in the Hampton Rhodes area. I had no idea this assholio was from my hometown. Damn.

I think that by saying 'he grew up surrounded by dog-fighting' he really was saying that he just likes a rough-ass sadistic way of living and thinks it's okay to abuse a/any living creature. He set the dogs on fire. He must've grown up with this shit in his family, if at all. I mean, don't most criminals blame their crimes on their childhood and upbringing? That's exactly what he did. I am sure he is ready to move on, he has 'paid his debt' blah blahblah....I doubt he feels any actual remorse about abusing, maiming and killing dogs.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Just my .02 cents:

My family is from Kentucky, and I was born there and spent summers there but grew up in Hampton, Va. That is the adjoining town to Newport News, Va. All towns have poor sections, and many towns have ghettos, but let me assure you, Newport News, Va. is not a ghetto town. There are some low income areas but it doesn't have any actual ghetto's or projects. Being from there let me also assure you, unless he had family in North Carolina (where alot of people in the Hampton Rhodes area are from, Hampton Rhodes being like a county if you will) who taught him dog fighting "as a way of life" then he is making it up. There is not and never was any dog-fighting traditions or matches or circuits in the Hampton Rhodes area. I had no idea this assholio was from my hometown. Damn.

I think that by saying 'he grew up surrounded by dog-fighting' he really was saying that he just likes a rough-ass sadistic way of living and thinks it's okay to abuse a/any living creature. He set the dogs on fire. He must've grown up with this shit in his family, if at all. I mean, don't most criminals blame their crimes on their childhood and upbringing? That's exactly what he did. I am sure he is ready to move on, he has 'paid his debt' blah blahblah....I doubt he feels any actual remorse about abusing, maiming and killing dogs.
    From Wiki..

Vick is second of four children (including older sister Christina ("Niki") and younger siblings Marcus and Courtney) born in Newport News, Virginia, to Brenda Vick and Michael Boddie, then unmarried teenagers.[1] His mother worked two jobs, obtained some public financial assistance, and had help from her parents, while his father worked long hours in the shipyards as a sandblaster and spray-painter.[2] They were married when Michael was about five years old, but the children elected to continue to use their "Vick" surname. The family lived in the "Ridley Circle Homes," a public housing project in a financially depressed and crime-ridden neighborhood located in the East End section of the port city. It is an area known in hip hop culture by the slang names "Bad News" or "Bad Newz" according to the Urban Dictionary. A 2007 newspaper article published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch noted "not much changed" by observations of local people almost ten years after Michael Vick left. One resident said that there were drug dealing, drive-by shootings and other killings in the neighborhood, then suggested that sports were a way out and a dream for many.[3]

All I can reply is that sometimes one has to go along to get along. I've witnessed dogfighting in the streets in my youth, hanging out with unsavory people for lack of a better word, protection. I've witnessed organized cockfighting, and those who owned the birds and the property on which the fights took place were pretty affluent, millionaires in fact. I'm pretty sure that when participating in barbarism like this, there really isn't a profile that one fits.

cachluv Guest
    I'm pretty sure that when participating in barbarism like this, there really isn't a profile that one fits.
    ---ITA. Because it's a choice. Not a way of life.

I don't know about the wiki info though....sure does make him sound super tough and very urban though, doesn't it?

ChargerBill Guest
    ---ITA. Because it's a choice. Not a way of life.

I don't know about the wiki info though....sure does make him sound super tough and very urban though, doesn't it?
    Those that I had witnessed cockfighting were 2nd and 3rd generation fighters, who had breeding down to a science. They would travel thousands of miles to get the right kind of bird, taking their children with them to places like Arkansas and Oklahoma. One of them happened to be my boss, and he nearly made me make one of those trips with him. I realize it's a choice to participate in, but it can definitely be described as a way of life in this case.

You're right, with Wiki, you never know what you're gonna get

cachluv Guest
    I realize it's a choice to participate in, but it can definitely be described as a way of life in this case.
    ---I love you Chargey. We both agree to disagree there. No harm done lover. I could always be wrong, it could happen Thanks for the food-for-thought, never hurts to hear another side.

ChargerBill Guest
    ---I love you Chargey. We both agree to disagree there. No harm done lover. I could always be wrong, it could happen Thanks for the food-for-thought, never hurts to hear another side.
    We don't know the specifics of the origins in this case, and you're right no harm done, and nobody loves you more than me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_FOQ7-P30

cachluv Guest

ShellBell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    I think all of them should still be rotting in jail.

Yes. I do agree that there should be standardization in the bans, but Vick is scum. I don't support any of them being in the NFL.

2Dogs Guest
    Newport News has some very impoverished and high crime areas and Vick grew up in the worst of the worst. But I haven't read anything that convinces me that Vick was raised in a dog fighting culture. Not to the point that you could call it a "way of life". Newport News does not have a history of being a dog fighting haven and dog fighting was not a part of Vick's family's life. Dog fighting exists there, just as it does in other high poverty/crime/drug/gang urban areas, as a way of making money.

But regardless of his poverty, it sounds like Vick was raised by a hard working and devoted mom and by high school it was clear he had big talent and would at a minimum end up with a scholarship and a golden ticket out of the projects. He had teachers and coaches and an entire support system. He didn't have to make the thug choice to engage in dog fighting then and he didn't have to make the thug choice to build an entire dog fighting organization once he was worth millions. He did it because he enjoys it. He's sadistic, as is evidenced by his personal desire to torture and kill. And he was arrogant. So heck yeah, bring him back...the NFL needs another arrogant, violent thug.

I believe that he'll be reinstated. And if he is, my dream scenario is that whatever team picks him up will experience a public backlash. He is booed every time he walks on the field and his athletic ability will have gone to crap. His career tanks and whatever money he makes will be confiscated by his creditors. He carries his thug-ass back to Newport News where one night he is attacked on the street by a pack of pit bulls who have escaped from animal control where they were under a rabies quarantine.

Hobbes12 Guest
    Just let him play!!!

WriterDude Guest
    Vick has been "conditionally reinstated" by Commissioner Roger Goodell:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359354

Roaming Tigress Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes12 View Post
    Just let him play!!!
    Yes . . . With a rapist. Hopefully with an STD -- he KNOWINGLY gave a woman herpes, all the more reason to cull him permanently from the population. No second chances.
    Last edited by Roaming Tigress; 07-27-2009 at 02:59 PM.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    Vick has been "conditionally reinstated" by Commissioner Roger Goodell:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359354

BOO. HISS. I completely disagree with his re-instatement. Drives me nuts. Part of me says he's done his time, but what cost? How can he look at his fans - particularly his YOUNG fan's faces? Uhg. Whatever.

Forever-27 Guest
    Id be hardpressed to find a team that would pick him up as a player. Whatever team if any gets him will get massive demonstrations from these animal rights groups wherever they go to play. I dont think the nfl wants that riff raff.

Dixie Girl Guest
    What pisses me off is that here was the NFL's chance to take a stance and hopefully set an example to any of these other players caught up with this sort of activities..and they blew it by reinstating him.
    We recently had a dog brought into a local shelter that had been used as bait...they had filed her teeth down so that she could not bite back, yet even with the scars all over her, she was still a sweetheart. Vick makes me sick.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Id be hardpressed to find a team that would pick him up as a player. Whatever team if any gets him will get massive demonstrations from these animal rights groups wherever they go to play. I dont think the nfl wants that riff raff.
    I think he will have trouble finding a team to pick him up. I know if I were an owner, I wouldn't want him. I'm pretty disappointed in the NFL now, but I still have hopes that the teams will pass him up and that will speak loud and clear!!

WriterDude Guest
    I'll bet that Al Davis has his agent's number on speed dial.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Girl View Post
    What pisses me off is that here was the NFL's chance to take a stance and hopefully set an example to any of these other players caught up with this sort of activities..and they blew it by reinstating him.
    We recently had a dog brought into a local shelter that had been used as bait...they had filed her teeth down so that she could not bite back, yet even with the scars all over her, she was still a sweetheart. Vick makes me sick.

I am the biggest animal lover there is, but unfortunately, the NFL has let other players back in for crimes that were as bad or worse. Michael Irvin, crack and hookers? Pac-Man Jones? Donte Stallworth gets 30 days for manslaughter DUI? WTF?

Check this out:

http://nflcrimes.blogspot.com/

I am NOT defending the fact that they conditionally reinstated him. Personally, I think there should be a zero-tolerance rule for pro sports. As the commissioner stated, it is a privilege to play in the league, not a right.

dcg76 Guest
    I totally agree. No NFL owner would want to have the backlash from the animal rights groups. Also, who knows who the other players will react to him? Will they despise him, too? Will they resent all of the focus going to him? No head coach that's worth anything would want that kind of stigma in his locker room.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Not that I totally agree with the NFL for letting him back in, I honestly would have made him do lots of PSAs on animal abuse and make him donate a certain % of his income to animal shelters. If a team picks him up....I hope he faces alot of big guys who have dogs and are pissed. Jail may not have been tough enough for him. Who knows....maybe the NFL will teach him a better lesson? They can beat up on him as a part of their job!! And make him pay each family who has adopted one of his dogs a nice lump sum to do with whatever they feel is right.....I think most would donate to a local shelter.....I know I would. I just have a feeling that he is going to have a rougher time with the public and football fans than he did in jail. At least I'm hoping so. I guess we will have to wait and see

Forever-27 Guest
    Al Davis is a scumbag, but no I dont think even the Raiders would want him. A dark cloud will follow him wherever he does. I dont think they would want him even coaching high school ball. Hed be better off changing his name and getting a day job at McDonalds flipping burgers for 9 bucks an hour part time.

The NFL had to reinstate him. There was no choice. He legally did his time and can't be discriminated against. The thing is I seriously doubt the sucker will ever get picked up by another team, so it doesn't matter anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Maruz83 Guest
    Boy I think if he was a baseball player he'd been DONE !

guardmom2008 Guest
    I understand the NFL had to reinstate him, unfortunately he is a good player and will get picked up by a team, and the sad part is I think my team the 49es are looking at him.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Boy I think if he was a baseball player he'd been DONE !

Baseball is regulated by the government. He would be. I personally think all pro sports need to be regulated by the gov't. it is only fair. football players get away with murder. literally.

29. 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I understand the NFL had to reinstate him, unfortunately he is a good player and will get picked up by a team, and the sad part is I think my team the 49es are looking at him.
    Shiz I hope not...he is not welcome in this town. The niners will regret even thinking about it...

Noreen Guest
    ---Here frickin' here, to both gentlemen.

I would have been just plain angry at this whole thing, but him setting the losing dogs on fire is what pushed me completely over the top. Out of that anger I would like to see him punished to whatever maximum strength and length possible. This being said, I don't know that prohibiting him from playing football is even related to his crime/punishment or if it even should be.
    I don't know why I am even talking. I hate this motherfucker and I wish someone would set HIS loser ass on fire.
    And a here frickin' here to my lady Luv!

radiojane Guest
    With a criminal record he'd have a hard time finding a good job but because he can play football, he's got a free pass to make millions. He was reinstated because everyone expects to make money off of him. He'll most likely walk away rich, with his crimes largely forgotten.

The whole thing makes me so sad.

Noreen Guest
    yep, it's always all about the money

the only way to compare stallworth to vick is if stallworth was laying in wait at intersections to run over unsuspecting pedestrians,again and again,then pouring lighter fluid on the ones he did'nt kill outright and set them on fire.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Dixie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Shiz I hope not...he is not welcome in this town. The niners will regret even thinking about it...
    In the same town where Diane Whipple was mauled to death by those two dogs who had basically been trained to be vicious, as well? I'm surprised if SF wouldn't be up in arms over THAT deal.

Beaten down dog from Vick has his day: Pit Bull rescued from fighting ring now helps cancer patients.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25214356/
    Last edited by michihunt; 07-31-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    Beaten down dog from Vick has his day: Pit Bull rescued from fighting ring now helps cancer patients.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25214356/

Wonderful story. Good boy, Leo!

See more pics of the Michael Vick dogs now: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/arc..._vicks_dogs-2/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

radiojane Guest
    Me thinks these should find there way to the pit bull ban thread. Maybe it'll sway the stance of those that believe the dogs are inherently evil.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Me thinks these should find there way to the pit bull ban thread. Maybe it'll sway the stance of those that believe the dogs are inherently evil.
    Good idea!!!

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post

The 49ers are a horrific team. Absolutely horrible on all levels but still, as much as the 49ers need someone good, they would pass on Vick. San Fran is a liberal city and theyd never accept him no matter how good he is.

Im not a dog person by any means. Dogs scare the hell out of me. No matter how small or cute or whatver, im scared of dogs. Back when I was around 10-11 years old I remember being in the park with my mom and sister playing or doing something, and went to go get a ball or a frisbie or something and this huge black dog came out of nowhere and bit down right on my hand. The damm thing wouldnt let go. My mom seeing this grabbed a stick and ran over and started beating this dog, still he wouldnt let go. Then she started throwing rocks at it hitting it in the head, the whole time, me screaming my head off that this dog refused to let go and even gripped harder. Finally after taking hundreds of rocks to its head from my sister and mother, it let go and took off. She rushed me to the hospital and I got rabies shots. I didnt want any stitches but they wanted me to get them. I still have the scar from the dog bite to this day. I dont think ive gone into why I dont like dogs on any of these threads but this is why. No matter how small or how big or how friendly they are, I get panic attacks around dogs.

As much as I stay away from dogs as much as possible, I still dont condone what Vick did.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 08-01-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Roaming Tigress Guest
    REALLY good article:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1692

And here's that pool and why I can never forgive him for what he's done or "give him a second chance":

http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/2009...vick-news.html

Really, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I don't believe in dog fighting. But, if Michael Vick was a gas station attendant prior to being convicted, no one would care if his old bosses at the gas station re-hired him. The guy has a right to earn a living.

Dixie Girl Guest
    I don't think anyone disputes his right to earn a living. It's his right to earn multi million dollar contracts with which I have a problem. Not only do people look up to these sports athletes, its money like that which allowed him to ship these dogs all over the place to fight. Why enable someone with absolutely no conscience to be put in a position of power and to be the object of hero worship to thousands of little boys who look up to him and want to be just like him?

dcg76 Guest
    I don't dispute his right to go out there and try to make a living either, but what also bugs me is that fact that he's a convicted felon, and also convicted in federal court. There are people who are convicted felons who are truly remorseful of what they did, and have a very hard time landing a job period, much less a NFL contract that could land millions of dollars.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Really, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I don't believe in dog fighting. But, if Michael Vick was a gas station attendant prior to being convicted, no one would care if his old bosses at the gas station re-hired him. The guy has a right to earn a living.
    I agree. He should definitely be pumping gas for a living. For the rest of his life, actually.

I heard Coach Fox of the Panthers here say on the news yesterday something along the lines of "we're not really looking at Michael Vick, but never say never." He needs to say never, because I cannot imagine the fans here going for Michael Vick. We certainly don't have the best team or players, but we sure don't need that POS!!

pats are seriously considering him......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

STsFirstmate Guest
    Sorry I disagree. I think he will be picked up and he will be back in the league and barring getting shot or hurt he will likely have a great on field career.
    There are are plenty of low life wanna be gansters in the NFL. So many that people are beginning to wonder if it stands for the National Felons League.
    My beloved Bengals have more bad actors and criminals than almost any other team.
    NFL players have taken out hits on their wives, been involved in rapes and assualts, tons of weapon violations. We are the watching that unfold in the courts right here in NY. In this case the team did drop the guy.
    In most cases the team and the fans look the other way as long as they are helping the team win.
    I can't help but think that "roid rage" plays some part in all of this as well.
    I don't expect athletes to be role models but I expect then to be law abiding.
    He did his time and he should now be allowed to play. I think he is lower than pond scum and I hope that he gets kneecapped in the 1st play of the season but he should be allowed to play.
    Just my opinion.
    Regards,
    Mary

Roaming Tigress Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I agree. He should definitely be pumping gas for a living. For the rest of his life, actually.
    Nicer than the one I'm thinking of I think he should be cleaning disease ridden toilet bowls for the best of his life.

His dead dogs can't play again. I hope he gets banned from life from ever owning another animal.
    Last edited by Roaming Tigress; 08-05-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Tigress View Post
    Nicer than the one I'm thinking of I think he should be cleaning disease ridden toilet bowls for the best of his life.

His dead dogs can't play again. I hope he gets banned from life from ever owning another animal.
    LOL--I'll even up the ante on this....WITH HIS TONGUE....!!!