Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Fast and Furious' star Paul Walker

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. My daddy would have grabbed his double barrel and it wouldn't have been to force us to marry. Heck, he was against me having sex at any age, let me tell ya. Guess he couldn't wrap his mind around that.
    Your Dad was a wise man Cin.

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    I think it's sad that quite a few people on here are coming on all strong when they don't know the facts apart from ages .How do you KNOW they were having sex ? did you know them personally ? did they consult you about contraception ? No , thought not . The man is dead , his family are grieving , and this righteous holier than thou attitude has crept in . What has that got to do with his death ?
    I cannot be the only one who believes that they were having sex, but even if they werent, what can a 16 year old girl and a 33 year old man possibly have in common? I ask this almost jokingly, because there cannot be anything there other than the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    It's okay for a thirty three year old guy to be sniffing around high school for dates as long as he is a handsome celebrity with lots of money. No sex of course, just lots of trips to the ice cream store and the zoo. It's not okay for a thirty three year old guy to be dating a sixteen year old if he has a couple of baby mamas in his past, works at Jiffy Lube, answers to the name Ace, and all of his household goodies comes from Rent-A-Center. No sweet love stories for him and his beloved cupcake, it'll just be assumed that Ace only wants her for the underaged sex with a firm body and naive mind. He'll be removed from the sex offender registry only after he is skeletal remains.

I guess Drew and Stacy Peterson was just a sweet, fairytale love story, although the fairytale ending could use some tweaking.
    WORD.

Can I get a LIKE?

About the age gap, maybe she acts older than her age and is not into all the gossiping, mall going and Justin Beiber , I wasn't a typical teenager at her age, I acted a lot older than my age. Maybe he talked to her mom and dad and they sat down and had a talk about the relationship and his intentions, they could have said no sex until 18 we don't know that for sure as we aren't family or personal friends. I do know that if the parents okay it and she is emancipated, which as we do not know about that either, then it can be legal. That being said, they lasted seven years so there was a great bond between them , unlike Courtney and Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    You were closer to it than I was ! I had no idea what it was called really . My memory is rubbish but I agree it ' s a very good thread
    Yes. I enjoyed looking at it again for a while today~

I've been looking at the photographs of the scene after the crash. Some people have said that they can one body was Paul's because of his hair. I can't tell anything. It just looks so horrible.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

YuukaK Guest
    I can't tell anything from the pictures either Noelle or at least from the close ups I've seen.

Wonder if the pictures will be in any drivers educational car wreck videos heh

Madamlehag Guest
    Actually, you can tell the body is Paul because the driver was dismembered in the crash. His cousin was shown being interviewed and he said that there were concerns that there were not enough if him to justify having a funeral and instead a memorial service. The that is why the driver did not die of thermal injuries.

I can't bring myself to look at the pics , it's bad enough hearing the description .

Just read a CNN article at http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/06/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t2 and was dismayed to read this:

"Paul Walker's family appreciates the outpouring of love and goodwill from his many fans and friends. They have asked, in lieu of flowers or other gifts, that donations please be made to Paul's charity Reach Out Worldwide (ROWW). Donations can easily be made through their website at http://www.ROWW.org/.

"It's comforting for them to know that the son, brother, and father they love so much is equally adored, respected, and appreciated by so many. Paul founded the organization with the genuine desire to help others, and it's important to his family to keep his memory alive through ROWW."

According to 2011 tax information from the organization, 35% of the funds raised went to the charity's programs. The rest of the funds are used for administrative and fundraising costs.

I am sure that 35% is better than nothing, and other commenters from the article said that 35% is high compared to other charities, but wow, how disappointing. You start up a charity to fund your hobby and then claim your purchases as "administrative and fundraising costs." I am in the wrong business.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 12-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

It is that way with a lot of charities. There is a list that shows where the money goes for big charities. Let me see if I can find it.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

It's actually quite expensive to run a large charity organization. That is much higher than most. The people running it can't work for free. I don't give anything to charity organizations for this reason. If I feel charitable I'll be charitable to the people around me.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

I believe I've read were (unless things have changed) either Susan G Komen or Race for the Cure are one of the worst charity values.

Paul Walker Crash - Scumbag Roof Thieves CAUGHT ON TAPE

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/07/paul-w...-stolen-video/

First, they steal parts of the car and their images are so clear than they can be seen on a blurry video. Then, they post about it on instagram expecting not to get caught?

Worst criminals ever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Where would we be, without T.M.Z.

That's their marketing tag right there folks.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Just read a CNN article at http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/06/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t2 and was dismayed to read this:

"Paul Walker's family appreciates the outpouring of love and goodwill from his many fans and friends. They have asked, in lieu of flowers or other gifts, that donations please be made to Paul's charity Reach Out Worldwide (ROWW). Donations can easily be made through their website at http://www.ROWW.org/.

"It's comforting for them to know that the son, brother, and father they love so much is equally adored, respected, and appreciated by so many. Paul founded the organization with the genuine desire to help others, and it's important to his family to keep his memory alive through ROWW."

According to 2011 tax information from the organization, 35% of the funds raised went to the charity's programs. The rest of the funds are used for administrative and fundraising costs.

I am sure that 35% is better than nothing, and other commenters from the article said that 35% is high compared to other charities, but wow, how disappointing. You start up a charity to fund your hobby and then claim your purchases as "administrative and fundraising costs." I am in the wrong business.
    Someone has to pay for those expensive cars. This is why I am very picky giving money to any organization.

Wendy A. Guest

Not sure how a charity works, isn't most of that like tax deductible for him as well? And I wonder if he was on the payroll?

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    I believe I've read were (unless things have changed) either Susan G Komen or Race for the Cure are one of the worst charity values.
    It is definitely one of the worst. Their stated mission is to find a cure for breast cancer, but they only donate 15% to actual research. The CEO, Nancy Brinker, makes $684,000 a year, which is a 64% increase in her salary since 2010. She makes substantially more than other CEOs of large charities even though the Susan G. Komen Foundation is actually cancelling half of their three day charity walks for 2014 due to a huge decrease in donations received. They blamed the economy for the cancellations. People are better off to find a local charity they believe in and contribute their money to it. There are always food pantries, animal related causes, meals for elderly people, and of course the Angel Trees this time of year. You can actually see where your donation is going and who it helps instead of making a CEO filthy rich. Problems with accounting for where donations were sent was the reason the Jessica Lunsford Foundation no longer exists.

1karenhb Guest
    Good advice Mammy. Thanks.

gottaqhfilly Guest

Wendy A. Guest
    It is definitely one of the worst. Their stated mission is to find a cure for breast cancer, but they only donate 15% to actual research. The CEO, Nancy Brinker, makes $684,000 a year, which is a 64% increase in her salary since 2010. She makes substantially more than other CEOs of large charities even though the Susan G. Komen Foundation is actually cancelling half of their three day charity walks for 2014 due to a huge decrease in donations received. They blamed the economy for the cancellations. People are better off to find a local charity they believe in and contribute their money to it. There are always food pantries, animal related causes, meals for elderly people, and of course the Angel Trees this time of year. You can actually see where your donation is going and who it helps instead of making a CEO filthy rich. Problems with accounting for where donations were sent was the reason the Jessica Lunsford Foundation no longer exists.
    Damn! That's just shameful.

Baby's youngest son was at LAX when the wreck happened. He saw the smoke boiling up and of course he didn't know what had happened right off.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    Damn! That's just shameful.
    It really is. People donate money, time, and energy to these organizations thinking they are doing something good to help out a great cause and really it is mostly padding the pockets of some CEO getting rich from a "non profit" organization. Since finding this out about the Komen foundation a few years ago, I refuse to buy anything with a pink awareness ribbon on it. It's deception.

You're welcome, Karen. The small, community based organizations always need donations and assistance and they actually do what they say they will do. The also appreciate the donations very much.

Thanks for the link, Gottaqhfilly. That's useful information. I was surprised to see the Angel Food Ministries on there. That was a popular program around here a couple of years ago and now it's never heard of. Now I know why.

It really is. People donate money, time, and energy to these organizations thinking they are doing something good to help out a great cause and really it is mostly padding the pockets of some CEO getting rich from a "non profit" organization. Since finding this out about the Komen foundation a few years ago, I refuse to buy anything with a pink awareness ribbon on it. It's deception.

You're welcome, Karen. The small, community based organizations always need donations and assistance and they actually do what they say they will do. The also appreciate the donations very much.

Thanks for the link, Gottaqhfilly. That's useful information. I was surprised to see the Angel Food Ministries on there. That was a popular program around here a couple of years ago and now it's never heard of. Now I know why.
    The Salvation Army and the food bank in my home town help my mother with food and oft paid her utilities. And I help them just a wee. Giving back, you know.
    Last edited by cindyt; 12-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I have given to The Salvation Army because they did help mama so much, but for the past two months I've donated to the food bank in my home town. They also helped mama with food and utility bills. I'd rather give to the places I know firsthand that to some of these other places mentioned here.
    I put money in the red kettles at Christmas time and as you well know, I buy the majority of my clothes at Goodwill because I like a bargain. I also donate items to Goodwill. Everything else that I contribute to is local things. I have needy people in my own family that I help out when I can.

Paul Walker's charity contributing 35% is really a lot more than most charities, more than double the contributions of others.

I have a hard time trusting so many charities, so I'm glad to see that website, gottaqhfilly. That is helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Quote Originally Posted by gottaqhfilly View Post
    Hmm, good find. Will definitely keep this site in mind.

I have a friend who is a breast cancer survivor; went to some of those SG Komen thing; seemed like a big bunch of hooey then. Was not impressed. Then when they came out complaining about Planned Parenthood, etc., a lot of people found out a lot of things. I too will not buy anything with a pink ribbon on it. IMO they've ruined the color pink. Most of my donations go to the local Humane Society or horse rescues.

PurrPurr Guest
    You are all welcome to smack me for going off topic for a second, but while we're discussing charities, I found this on Facebook last night:

I donate once in a while to the Disabled Veterans of America. In return I get free address labels and calendars!

I am very happy to see the link. It sure is useful. I try to do more in the way of food or clothing donations.

Let's get back to Paul Walker.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Great information on all of the charities. Thank you so much to everyone. I have a question in reference to the car that the men died in. I read that the car had stalled a couple of times and maybe Mr. Rodas wanted Paul to take a ride in it to see if he could help with the problem? Of course, so much is speculation at this point, but did anyone else read about a possible malfunction in the car?

desertangel Guest
    I remember reading that somewhere... probably up-thread. However, I did find this on youtube about a possible conspiracy involving the car and how it may have malfunctioned during the brief road trip. www.youtube.com/watch?/v=h4SQV824RGI

TMZ had a story up about the FF7 production and how the movie big wigs are trying to come up with a way to deal with Paul's death and go forward with the movie. There was a solicitation to leave ideas in the comments section. There's been a lot of feedback on Twitter and Facebook about this too. Anyway, I cast my vote for killing Brian O'Conner off in the same way Paul died. Not out of disrespect, but out of total respect. I think it would be the perfect homage and the right way to close that chapter, or book. It would give fans another opportunity to deal with the grief. I speculate there would not be a dry eye in the house on opening night and maybe subsequent nights. Of course if Paul's loved ones objected, then no way, out of respect for them. Well that's my 2cents on the subject.

I think they should kill him off then wrap up the story with this one. Or maybe have the characters quit the life after he dies in one more finale movie, then be done with the franchise. Hope they can use the scenes he already filmed for the FF7.
    Last edited by SelenaFan; 12-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.

There were reports that Walker was riding along because of mechanical issues. In particular the steering was mentioned. But I really see no reason to drive the car for that purpose. Especially at high speed. It could've been that the engine stalled thus rendering the power assist useless. Again driving the car would be foolish. The only potential reason I would see to drive the car would be to diagnose an ignition failure. I'm certain more capable people than PW are available for that purpose. Given the facts I would assume they were simply joy riding. Just taking it for a spin. Likely so Rodas could demonstrate a new performance part. Could be steering, suspension, or engine performance. This car was listed for sale by Walker's company as having only 52 additional miles from the time they purchased it. They may have tuned on it some and given the lack of experience with this car the driver exceeded his ability to handle the car. Or it could've been a mechanical malfunction caused by tuning and therefore causing the crash. I'm still waiting for the full autopsy report and crash report to place my wager either way.

Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    I remember reading that somewhere... probably up-thread. However, I did find this on youtube about a possible conspiracy involving the car and how it may have malfunctioned during the brief road trip. www.youtube.com/watch?/v=h4SQV824RGI

TMZ had a story up about the FF7 production and how the movie big wigs are trying to come up with a way to deal with Paul's death and go forward with the movie. There was a solicitation to leave ideas in the comments section. There's been a lot of feedback on Twitter and Facebook about this too. Anyway, I cast my vote for killing Brian O'Conner off in the same way Paul died. Not out of disrespect, but out of total respect. I think it would be the perfect homage and the right way to close that chapter, or book. It would give fans another opportunity to deal with the grief. I speculate there would not be a dry eye in the house on opening night and maybe subsequent nights. Of course if Paul's loved ones objected, then no way, out of respect for them. Well that's my 2cents on the subject.
    I can almost see how this would work. However, even if they DID have that idea in mind for his character, they'd definitely have to wait for a little bit. Doing ANYTHING with the next movie at this time would just be way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    D amn! That's just shameful
    It is.

I know two people who founded and run two different non-profits. They've been doing it for over 35 years and their organizations are very successful. Neither draws a salary. All funds go to the nonprofit. This includes purchasing equipment and other necessary items as well as paying an accountant and attorney. But those costs are minimal to keep donations going where they're truly needed.

There are times when they've had nothing but food boxes for themselves because they had no money of their own and wouldn't dream of dipping into the non-profit's for their own food, etc. They also started the now thriving organizations with funds out of their own pockets. I could go on about all the good they've done. Instead I'll just say that's how much they believe in their cause. And now due to their hard work, hundreds of thousands of people do. To this day they draw no salary, All monies going to their cause and the community. I know all this first hand because I've spent years volunteering for them, even seeing their books because they are my friends and wanted me to look at something in them.

So I find such a small percentage going to the actual charity shameful as well. The small percentage going too Paul's charity seems more like an organization set up as a tax shelter or is being used as one now that he's gone. Intentionally or not.

Chick, it could be a tax shelter. But also consider he was a very busy actor and likely didn't have the time to devote towards running the operation. He would likely have to hire staff. Generally speaking when a wealthy person creates a charity organization this is the case. It helps to some degree. Much more than the scam charities that are keeping 80+% . Personally I chose to donate on a personal level or with people like your friends because I know where the donation goes. Walker could've easily been using this for tax and profit but 35% isn't bad for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    Chick, it could be a tax shelter. But also consider he was a very busy actor and likely didn't have the time to devote towards running the operation. He would likely have to hire staff. Generally speaking when a wealthy person creates a charity organization this is the case. It helps to some degree. Much more than the scam charities that are keeping 80+% . Personally I chose to donate on a personal level or with people like your friends because I know where the donation goes. Walker could've easily been using this for tax and profit but 35% isn't bad for what it is.
    I took all of that into account when posting. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

At best someone is taking advantage of someone there, IMO. Especially when the founder is too busy to oversee what goes on or is a busy actor. Quite common in the world of charities, non-profits and volunteering. Somoething I've been involved in for almost 30 years myself.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-07-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Snip........

Setting up a charity that is a first responder would not be a cheap undertaking. There would have to be quite a few million dollars invested in factors of production, including office staff ( administrative, marketing, sales, legal, accounts etc). Space to house the staff as well as a warehouse capability (to store all the stuff you are going to first respond with), and lastly all the equipment and supplies to fill the office and warehouse. You would also need a few consultants on retainer which would include fixers, project managers and logistics management for instance. I bet getting insurance coverage would also cost a bomb.

Then, when a disaster happens you would have to spend money getting the whole circus on the road and transported to the disaster. Then you will have to organize local logistics, set up a HQ somewhere, pay off local officials and fixers (overseas) & etc.

Considering that the charity was set up in 2010, and the figure you quote is from the 2011 tax return, getting 65% of the donated money to the actual disaster victims isn't too shabby, considering the setup cost in that first year of 'business.' Also factor in, when comparing charity spend as opposed to admistrative costs, the large international charity organisations have been operating for decades and have infrastructure well in place and in a lot of cases paid off. So their ongoing costs are lesser than a startup. Considering that, and that the large international charities receive a hell of a lot more money than ROWW, their admistrative costs as compared to charity spent is going to be a lot lower. Consider the following:

The Red Cross generally puts 91% of it's donations to work for the needy. Feeding America, generally puts 98% of donations toward feeding the hungry. But in the wake of disasters like the recent tornado, 100% is used for feeding victims,thanks to funding it receives from insurer AllState for its disaster relief program. The Salvation Army typically spends 82% of donations on aid. But during disasters, it draws from its budget so it can direct 100% at relief efforts. Meanwhile,85% of donations to World Vision and 92% of donations to Feed the Children are put toward relief efforts. http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/24/pf/d...ies/index.html

It's called economies of scale in business parlance.

Yes, some CEO's receive a lot of money. Some justified (as in the large charities), and some not, in respect to small charities. Red Cross and UNICEF operate in most of the 196 countries in the world. The Red Cross also collects and distributes blood on a global basis which adds a level of operating cost other chatities. UNICEF doesn't operate one charity activity, they run quite a few diverse charities in fact: http://www.unicef.org/whatwedo/ I don't think the CEO's are overly compensated. The complexity and scale of their operations require someone with exceptional management experience and skill. You have to pay a competitive wage to get the best, otherwise they could fritter all the money away in no time.

Paul Walker would have to have made well over 20 million during his career, he made ten million for the first two F&F movies alone, so I don't think he was taking money from his charity to fund his lefestyle as speculated previously. I would have thought Paul would be the 'face' and advocate for the charity, as opposed to running it on a day-to-day basis as CEO. I do agree it probably is a tax shelter, but any donation to a charity can also be used as a way of mitigating tax.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charities and businesses are two separate animals. They can't be both. However, a business can have an arm of its corporation act as a charity and each is treated as a separate entity. That's how it works legally in the U.S. Both under separate audit and IRS as well as attaining tax status rules as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Charities and businesses are two separate animals. They can't be both. However, a business can have an arm of its corporation act as a charity and each is treated as a separate entity. That's how it works legally in the U.S. Both under separate audit and IRS as well as attaining tax status rules as well.
    Hence the use of quotation marks when the term business was used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As long as it's clear what's what. Which all the discussion here shows there is a highly disproportionate amount of monies going to administrative costs of charities and so people understandably find that suspect. My own experience shows me as well That such disproportionate costs are unnecessary.

My ex husband is an auditor of non-profits as well as for profit corporations. And I pay attention to what is worth attention. So I absorbed quite a lot between that and my own volunteer work with charity founders.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-07-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: However autocorrect does not, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    As long as it's clear what's what. Which all the discussion here shows there is a highly disproportionate amount of monies going to administrative costs of charities and so people understandably find that suspect. My own experience shows me as well That such disproportionate costs are unnecessary. Snip.......
    You won't get an argument from me on that. Some charities are out-and-out scams. However, there is a huge difference in running a mom and pop charity locally, as opposed to a global charity no? I am genuinely not dis-respecting the efforts of your friends and their charity, it would just be a fact of life. The bigger the charity, the more built-in inefficiencies in getting the money on the ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They are not mom and pop. They started small and due to their integrity are now known the world over with worldwide contributors.

The world would be a better place if all charities were started and run the way theirs is. More people certainly get helped that way. And as my ex husband would say, those that don't end up being more like Wal-Mart than charitable organizations.

If Paul Walkers falls under the latter, it wiil raise red flags causing more than the standard audits. That is also how it's done here.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-07-2013 at 10:35 PM.

What is the name of the charity?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since they are my personal friends, I will not be giving out that information as it could be seen as soliciting donations for them here. That teeters on breaking forum rules on soliciting donations through association.

monroe27 Guest
    I will never donate to march of dimes ever again...ugh I would donate to them because my daughter was a preemie and felt it was a good cause but only a dime for every dollar goes to the charity...wow.. but anyway back to Paul Walker....have they had a memorial service for him? this is such a tragedy
    Last edited by monroe27; 12-07-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: can't spell and left out parts

My cousin works for the American Cancer Society, and makes almost $50,000 a year, as a "community representative." She works from home, and does NOTHING, while the ACS pays for her gas and mileage, gives her a great salary (for around this area, at least),when she actually HELPS VOLUNTEERS organize the few relays we have, in our area. I've always thought it was sketchy, at best, and wondered where the money for her salary came from.

It looks like Paul's charity did, indeed donate more than others, but 35% is still low, in my opinion. Thanks for the links, above. Now, I know where to donate. I wonder about animal charities, though. How much money actually goes to THEM?

51. 12-08-2013, 07:49 AM