dogfighting operation at a home he owned in eastern Virginia's Surry
    County. He also admitted to participating in the killing of several
    underperforming dogs.
    Vick's lawyers have said they expected him to be moved any day
    into a halfway house in Newport News. But because of a lack of
    space, Vick will be released instead to his Hampton home at some
    point on or after May 21, said the official, who has knowledge of
    the case but requested anonymity because the individual was not
    authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
    Vick will be on electronic monitoring and will only be allowed to
    leave home for activities approved by his probation officer, the
    official said. He is eligible for release in July.
    The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback's lead lawyer, Billy
    Martin, and agent Joel Segal did not respond to messages seeking
    comment. Another Vick attorney, Lawrence Woodward, said in a
    telephone interview that he could not immediately respond.
    According to Vick's lawyers, the former Virginia Tech standout
    plans to resume his pro football career. NFL Commissioner Roger
    Goodell, who suspended Vick without pay, has repeatedly said he will
    review Vick's status after the legal proceedings are completed.
    Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said earlier this month
    that the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Vick to
    another team. Vick, once the highest-paid player in the NFL and
    among its most popular, has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls
    for him to receive a base salary of US$9 million and a bonus of
    $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11
    million, with an additional possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.
    Officials of some other NFL teams have said they are not
    interested in Vick because they would rather not face the wrath of
    pet lovers and groups such as PETA, which has been a constant
    fixture at Vick's hearings.
    Vick also earned substantial sums from endorsement deals with
    Nike and other companies, but that income vanished after the
    dogfighting revelations virtually destroyed his image and well as
    his finances. Vick filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in
    July, claiming assets of $16 million and liabilities of US$20.4
    million.

16:16ET 26-02-09

RubySlippers Guest
    Hmmm. Dunno what to think. I am sure there is more than ONE halfway house. And I don't know how ell he is going to "bounce back" from his issues. i see him fading away like ricky williams. he might TRY and come back, but i don't think he can make it stick.

Sad news for Eagles fans...we lost our main man to the Broncos.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russak...insnowabronco/

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post

Just got the text message on this about a half hour ago. Sorry for Eagles fans, yippie!! for us.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    Just got the text message on this about a half hour ago. Sorry for Eagles fans, yippie!! for us.
    I cannot believe they couldn't keep him here for a couple more years. It just sucks. Just like Burrell with the Phil's. We lost a couple of icons this off season.

I'll be following the Bronco's a little closer this year!

pvezz Guest
    Damn, Barb, that's tough news.

On another note, Michael Vick is a great player who flushed his whole career down the toilet. After what he did to those dogs, I for one will be laughing as I watch his career circle the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Michael Vick is a great player who flushed his whole career down the toilet. After what he did to those dogs, I for one will be laughing as I watch his career circle the toilet.
    I can't imagine any NFL team taking Vick and the PR backlash that would insue. With Arena Football going bankrupt, I wonder if the Canadian Football League would take him?

Well Ricky Williams did have a renaissance of sorts after his stint in the CFL...not that they'd probably like to be known for taking the NFL's castoffs and unwanted but he could begin a return to respectability by building a name for himself in the CFL then try to return once he has re-established himself as a player first and a citizen second.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Looks like the Patriots have traded Matt Cassel & Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs and for not very much either, the Chiefs second round pick in the draft.
    Story here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

WriterDude Guest
    MCP, hold on to your hat -- according to the text message I got from the local CBS affiliate/official Broncos station, they're actively shopping Jay Cutler!

MCP, hold on to your hat -- according to the text message I got from the local CBS affiliate/official Broncos station, they're actively shopping Jay Cutler!
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/cutl...oit-tampa-bay/

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    I hate the bears!!! Let them choke each season for all I care!!!

Bearfan is NOT amused.

vandal Guest

I cant believe this happened, I dont even know what to think right now. Theres seems to be a mass exodus from the Eagles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I cant believe this happened, I dont even know what to think right now. Theres seems to be a mass exodus from the Eagles right now.
    I know. It was talked about during the season though so no surprise. Still it pisses me off when they let someone like this go.

vandal Guest
    I know. It was talked about during the season though so no surprise. Still it pisses me off when they let someone like this go.
    I know they kept talking about it but never in a million years did I ever think it was going to happen, Dawkins was a staple on this team. I guess in this day of free agency and money we shouldnt let ourselves get too attached to any player.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaver mangler View Post
    Bearfan is NOT amused.

I thought you were a packers fan?

Can you guys stick to one team!

WriterDude Guest
    Thanks for that. I'll take Adam Schefter's word (he having gotten his start as the Broncos beat writer for the Denver Post) over Vic Lombardi's (still local channel 4 guy) any day.

Now THAT is cheesy!! And hilarious!!!

lane4 Guest
    One of my Lions guys is missing at sea
    Also a Raiders player - this doesn't look good.
    Corey Smith & Marquis Cooper

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29454121/

Thanks for that. I'll take Adam Schefter's word (he having gotten his start as the Broncos beat writer for the Denver Post) over Vic Lombardi's (still local channel 4 guy) any day.
    I don't know if you've read the news yet today.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=523201

Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    Now THAT is cheesy!! And hilarious!!!
    I'll take cheesy over idiotic any day of the week.

I am a MAJOR Bears fan...I have the scars to prove it! There's something about the love of football in the heartland...it marks the beginning of Fall just like the leaves turning color!

WriterDude Guest
    I don't know if you've read the news yet today.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=523201
    Matter of fact, just got another text message from KCNC/4 saying that, according to Marshall's lawyer, the charges have been dropped.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/marsha....2.947854.html

Hey Bronco fans, the latest RUMOR is Jay Cutler to Cleveland for Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers.

http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2...to-the-browns/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    Hey Bronco fans, the latest RUMOR is Jay Cutler to Cleveland for Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers.

http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2...to-the-browns/
    Not buying an once of this yet -- no legit media outlet has even a whiff of it. As for offense, McDaniels needs to reach out to Cutler, pat him on the head and convince him that they were only listening and not "shopping". Maybe give him a lollypop as a gesture of goodwill.

THEN he needs to get his ass shopping for a marquee running back while continuing the complete renovation of the defense.

Not buying an once of this yet -- no legit media outlet has even a whiff of it. As for offense, McDaniels needs to reach out to Cutler, pat him on the head and convince him that they were only listening and not "shopping". Maybe give him a lollypop as a gesture of goodwill.

THEN he needs to get his ass shopping for a marquee running back while continuing the complete renovation of the defense.
    Hence my use of the word rumor
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

RubySlippers Guest

jeezus...what a friggin' cry baby cutler is. so glad NOT to be a broncos fan in broncos country right about now...

WriterDude Guest
    Hence my use of the word rumor
    Oh, absolutely understood, Ima -- you even typed it in caps!

Oh, absolutely understood, Ima -- you even typed it in caps!
    With all these rumors swirling about, they must be shopping him around...what I don't understand is why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

WriterDude Guest
    With all these rumors swirling about, they must be shopping him around...what I don't understand is why.
    According to Adam Schefter (NFL Network, former Broncos beat reporter for the Denver Post), the Broncos were approached about the two possible trades that would bring Matt Cassel here and merely considered them, then nixed the idea and that's why he went to the Chiefs. Merely listening to the idea(s) was entirely reasonable; McDaniels coached him with no small degree of success last season. But in the end, the word was "no".

Meantime, it was erroneously reported by the local CBS affiliate via text message (I'm one of the recipients) Saturday afternoon that -- well, I'll just quote directly: "CBS 4's Vic Lombardi reports the Broncos are actively shopping QB Jay Cutler." Obviously a very different thing.

I believe that word got to Jay Cutler and his initial reactions were based on that bad information alone. What the problem continues to be is that the Broncos have done nothing to put out the fire beyond making the above known. And as I type this, Bob Ley and John Clayton are making matters worse on ESPN by speculating on the Vikings, Lions and Bucs being in the hunt now.

Bowlen's and McDaniels' continued silence is beginning to wear on even my patience, and I'm among the more level-headed Broncos fans out there. We shall see, I suppose.
    Last edited by WriterDude; 03-03-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo

According to Adam Schefter (NFL Network, former Broncos beat reporter for the Denver Post), the Broncos were approached about the two possible trades that would bring Matt Cassel here and merely considered them, then nixed the idea and that's why he went to the Chiefs. Merely listening to the idea(s) was entirely reasonable; McDaniels coached him with no small degree of success last season. But in the end, the word was "no".

Meantime, it was erroneously reported by the local CBS affiliate via text message (I'm one of the recipients) Saturday afternoon that -- well, I'll just quote directly: "CBS 4's Vic Lombardi reports the Broncos are actively shopping QB Jay Cutler." Obviously a very different thing.

I believe that word got to Jay Cutler and his initial reactions were based on that bad information alone. What the problem continues to be is that the Broncos have done nothing to put out the fire beyond making the above known. And as I type this, Bob Ley and John Clayton are making matters worse on ESPN by speculating on the Vikings, Lions and Bucs being in the hunt now.

Bowlen's and McDaniels' continued silence is beginning to wear on even my patience, and I'm among the more level-headed Broncos fans out there. We shall see, I suppose.
    For what it is worth, here is what Vic Carucci at NFL.com has to say:
    "Supposedly, Cutler is no longer available for trade. Supposedly, McDaniels' only interest in dealing him was to ultimately land Cassel. It doesn't matter.
    Now that word is out that the Broncos' new coach was willing to part with his young, Pro Bowl quarterback, their relationship will never be the same. There is nothing McDaniels can say to make Cutler feel any better about the fact that he is not the preferred choice of the new regime. That was a big part of the risk he took in attempting to swing a deal for the quarterback he really wanted.
    To some league insiders, it was a rookie mistake -- McDaniels being a bit too bold and brash for his own good at a position where he presumably was far better off than many other teams in the league (and certainly better off than his fellow rookie coaches).
    Cutler still has the burden of proving he can be the type of player McDaniels wants under center, but there's a good chance he won't buy into the new program and that it will reflect in his play. Although that would be damaging to Cutler's future with the Broncos (and perhaps other teams), it also would have a negative impact on McDaniels, who could very well be faced with finding a quarterback after one year on the job."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Mrs. James Dean Guest

Some Bear fans have such class.

Correll Buckhalter, J. J. Arrington, Reynaldo Hill, Andra Davis, Darrell Reid, and Brian Dawkins, Jabbar Gafney, Andre Goodman, Ronnie Fields...if nothing else the Broncos certainly have been busy this off season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

WriterDude Guest
    Correll Buckhalter, J. J. Arrington, Reynaldo Hill, Andra Davis, Darrell Reid, and Brian Dawkins, Jabbar Gafney, Andre Goodman, Ronnie Fields...if nothing else the Broncos certainly have been busy this off season.
    Yeah, that much is certainly good. Meantime, the Broncos finally speak:

DENVER (CBS4) ― Click to enlarge Jay Cutler #6 of the Denver Broncos walks off the field after the Carolina Panthers defeated them 30-10 during their game at Bank of America Stadium on Dec. 14, 2008 in Charlotte, N.C. Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
    1 of 2

Click to enlarge CBS4
    2 of 2

Close

numSlides of totalImages

Related Links

The Denver Broncos have told CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller, the team is absolutely not going to trade quarterback Jay Cutler. There had been wide spread speculation in recent days that Cutler might be dealt. But on Tuesday afternoon, the team's announcement put to bed once and for all any chance that the Pro Bowl quarterback would be leaving Denver.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels will have a face-to-face meeting with Cutler sometime next week when the quarterback is due to return to Colorado.

The above formatted weird. Here's a link to the page.

RubySlippers Guest
    Yeah, that much is certainly good. Meantime, the Broncos finally speak:

The Denver Broncos have told CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller, the team is absolutely not going to trade quarterback Jay Cutler. There had been wide spread speculation in recent days that Cutler might be dealt. But on Tuesday afternoon, the team's announcement put to bed once and for all any chance that the Pro Bowl quarterback would be leaving Denver.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels will have a face-to-face meeting with Cutler sometime next week when the quarterback is due to return to Colorado.

The above formatted weird. Here's a link to the page.

what i wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall. hee hee...

Damn, compared to all your drama in Denver, it's pretty boring here in Philly. Unusual.

WriterDude Guest
    Damn, compared to all your drama in Denver, it's pretty boring here in Philly. Unusual.
    Even after they failed (or declined) to re-sign Dawkins?

Even after they failed (or declined) to re-sign Dawkins?
    People are very upset, but it was expected.

Talk about an active free agent season! WOW!! It's almost as exciting as the regular season!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    Talk about an active free agent season! WOW!! It's almost as exciting as the regular season!

Agreed! I was bumed out that Ron Bartell signed with the Rams. The Saints made a strong push to get Bartell. Bartell would have been a great addition to the Saints. Oh well. sigh.

My beloved Broncos are already gooning up the off season with the Cutler debacle. Bring back Shanahan!!!!

Yuppers! There's more drama so far this off season than during a soap opera! We're going to need a spotters guide just to figure out who's who on a few teams during training camp!

WriterDude Guest
    Warner just re-signed with the Cards, 2 year deal.

Seagorath Guest
    I'm ready for baseball and basketball season to be over!!!

RubySlippers Guest
    Warner just re-signed with the Cards, 2 year deal.
    really? hmm...i don't like warner much. but was happy for the organization as a whole for their accomplishments.

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    really? hmm...i don't like warner much. but was happy for the organization as a whole for their accomplishments.
    For me, what's not to love about his story? College to grocery store to AFL to NFL Europe to barely catching on as a back-up to Super Bowl MVP. Fall from grace, wanders in the wilderness for a while, mentors Eli for a New York minute, rises from the ashes in Phoenix just like one and joins Craig Morton as only the second QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

If wrote that and tried to sell it, I'd get laughed out of the editor's office!

RubySlippers Guest
    For me, what's not to love about his story? College to grocery store to AFL to NFL Europe to barely catching on as a back-up to Super Bowl MVP. Fall from grace, wanders in the wilderness for a while, mentors Eli for a New York minute, rises from the ashes in Phoenix just like one and joins Craig Morton as only the second QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

If wrote that and tried to sell it, I'd get laughed out of the editor's office!
    Yeah, but Warner gets on my nerves. Great, great story - but Warner himself? Blah.

I thought that Warner would be making a trip to a new team for the Fall...actually glad that someone is staying put for the next season...I'm going to have to work hard to find out where all the free agents have landed this year!