Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V. C. Andrews

V. C. Andrews

[SIZE=4]I always loved V.C. Andrews, but I do feel that when the ghost writer took over that the feel of the novels changed. Flowers in the attic was my most favorite! [/SIZE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V._C._Andrews
    Cleo Virginia Andrews
    Born June 6, 1923(1923-06-06) Portsmouth, Virginia
    Died December 19, 1986 (aged 63)
    Writing period: 1979 - 1986 Genres: Gothic horror; Family saga
    Debut works: Flowers in the Attic (1979)
    Influenced:Andrew Neiderman
    Cleo Virginia Andrews (June 6, 1923December 19, 1986), better known as V. C. Andrews or Virginia C. Andrews was an American author. She was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, and died of breast cancer at the age of 63. Andrews' novels combine Gothic horror and family saga, revolving around family secrets and forbidden love (frequently involving themes of consensual incest, most often between siblings), and they often include a rags-to-riches story. Her most well-known novel is the infamous bestseller Flowers in the Attic (1979), a tale of four children locked in the attic of a wealthy Virginia family by their estranged religious grandmother for four years.
    Her novels were so successful that after her death her estate hired a ghost writer, Andrew Neiderman, to write more stories to be published under her name. Her novels have been translated into French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Turkish, Greek, Finnish, Swedish and Hebrew.

Life:
    Andrews was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, the youngest child and only daughter of the Andrews family. As a teenager, Andrews suffered a fall from a school stairwell, resulting in severe back injuries. The subsequent surgery to correct these injuries resulted in Andrews suffering from crippling arthritis that left her confined to a wheelchair for much of her life. However, Andrews, who had always shown promise as an artist, was able to complete a four-year correspondence course from her home and soon became a successful commercial artist, illustrator, and portrait painter.
    Later in life, Andrews turned to writing. Her first novel, titled Gods of Green Mountain, was a science fiction effort that remained unpublished during her lifetime but was released as an e-book in 2004. In 1975, Andrews completed a manuscript for a novel she called The Obsessed. The novel was returned with the suggestion that she "spice up" and expand the story. In later interviews, Andrews claims to have made the necessary revisions in a single night, re-submitting the changes as Flowers in the Attic. The novel, published in 1976, was an instant popular success, reaching the top of the bestseller lists in only two weeks. Every year thereafter until her death, Andrews published a new novel, each publication earning Andrews larger advances and a growing popular readership. Upon Andrews's death in 1986, two final novels--Garden of Shadows and Fallen Hearts--were published. These two novels are considered the last to bear the "V.C. Andrews" name and to be completely written by Andrews herself.
    Last edited by Donnagg123; 12-09-2007 at 10:44 PM.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    i liked her books

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I really enjoyed reading the VC Andrews books. I grew up reading ALL the books in ALL the different series! Loved them all back then, and strongly agree that after her death, the new stories didn't have the same intensity, details or feelings.

I rabidly read her books through the Dawn series. I was so PISSED when she died- I thought that the books were going to stop.

They should have. The Dawn series was ok- but sloppily written. Then when I saw spelling errors in the Melody series, that was it for me.

I think that the Flowers in the Attic series and the Heaven series were about the best- and My Sweet Audrina as well. After that- forget it.

And whats with this incest thing? I never understood how that got through the editing process.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Kathyf Guest
    I loved Flowers in the Atiic. How amazing she was still able to work with all her disabilities.

Nowereman Guest
    Ive never read that book, but here's my chance, thanks for the info and post.

Oh man, I'm glad to see her name here. I loved her books too, I've read the recent ones with the ghost writer, sadly it is missing that special touch. It's like having macaroni w/o the cheese. LOL! I think the last one I tried reading was...I can't even remember. It was just so horribly written.

GODDESS6 Guest
    love her books!!!~

hoxharding Guest
    Andrew Neiderman was writing the new books-I don't know if he is still doing that.
    He writes his own books as well. They turned one of them into the Keanu Reeves film 'The Devil's Advocate' and also 'PIN'
    I grew up reading her books and they heavily influenced my writing style-Her death was tragic.
    Anyone read (I think) 'My Sweet Audrina'
    That was probably the most twisted story she had. The main character was very jealous of her dead sister. I can't say more than that-if you like VC's books, you should read it.
    One last thing-the movie adapatation of 'Flowers in the Attic' was lame. If you adapt a film like that-don't chicken out and water it down.

Ceci Guest
    Thank you for creating this thread. I have always loved reading V.C. Andrews books for as long as I could remember. Her novels were quite intense, but very disturbingly creepy. I remember at the time I first read her works, I was also heavily into Stephen King and Anne Rice (which is still one of my ultimate favorites). I was also sorry that she had died because I could not think that the ghost writer could match her unwitting talent in creating such eerie but enveloping literature.

Every once in a while, I pick up her books again reread the engrossing, but rather disturbing tales that she created.
    Last edited by Ceci; 12-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Never read one of her books but I always have been meaning to reading Flowers in the Attic.

Harrietd Guest
    I've read all of the books she herself had written. Makes me wonder, though, where she got her muse from.

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Andrew Neiderman was writing the new books-I don't know if he is still doing that.
    He writes his own books as well. They turned one of them into the Keanu Reeves film 'The Devil's Advocate' and also 'PIN'
    I grew up reading her books and they heavily influenced my writing style-Her death was tragic.
    Anyone read (I think) 'My Sweet Audrina'
    That was probably the most twisted story she had. The main character was very jealous of her dead sister. I can't say more than that-if you like VC's books, you should read it.
    One last thing-the movie adapatation of 'Flowers in the Attic' was lame. If you adapt a film like that-don't chicken out and water it down.
    fabulous read, my sweet audrina, she was jealous of a dead sister, that she learned was really her & that she had been raped as a child & her parents tried to cover it up & give her a new identity~ very eerie~

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I loved Flowers in the Atiic. How amazing she was still able to work with all her disabilities.
    I liked it too....buy WOW what a crappy movie they made out of it !!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I liked it too....buy WOW what a crappy movie they made out of it !!

Crappy is a very,very diplomatic way of putting it!!!

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    My Sweet Audrina was definitely twisted. I remember reading all of these books in middle school. Girls would pass them around....we thought they were so dirty, those and Judy Blume's Forever.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I remember everyone in school reading these while I read death hag books. This was the eighties btw. EVERYONE read them. I just recently read the very first and was creepily turned on. No, I didn't have a hot uncle or older brother that I secretly wanted to do. Maybe I'm just ur er uh...horny.

hoxharding Guest
    I noticed there is one out called 'Secrets of the Attic' by 'V.C. Andrews'-it doesn't have any connection to 'Flowers in the Attic'

loved her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

kdeazell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnagg123 View Post
    [SIZE=4]I always loved V.C. Andrews, but I do feel that when the ghost writer took over that the feel of the novels changed. Flowers in the attic was my most favorite! [/SIZE]
    I agree I quit reading them too. Her's were much better.
    Kim

LadyCurry Guest
    I loved most of her books....They are hard to put down once you get started!

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I rabidly read her books through the Dawn series. I was so PISSED when she died- I thought that the books were going to stop.

They should have. The Dawn series was ok- but sloppily written. Then when I saw spelling errors in the Melody series, that was it for me.

I think that the Flowers in the Attic series and the Heaven series were about the best- and My Sweet Audrina as well. After that- forget it.

And whats with this incest thing? I never understood how that got through the editing process.
    I loved the Flowers in the Attic series..but yeah the incest thing always struck me as creepy.

Darrianne Guest
    I am in agreement that the movie sucked. Didn't hold a candle to the book, which I read many, many times.

hoxharding Guest
    What got me about the film 'Flowers in the Attic' is it was known to contain material that would be harsh and could be trouble.
    Yet they did it anyway and softened it- which is ridiculous.
    You either try a way to get the story across in a manner that is acceptable or just not do it at all.

Auntie Venom Guest
    I read them all the way through the Dawn series and I started Melody...I rapidly got sick of these Pollyanna perfect heroines who were so squeaky damn clean and junior high. "My Sweet Audrina" is one of the best suspense stories I've read in a long time.

I have all her books i'v read and re-read all of them.The movie wasn't as good as the book.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Powdered donuts, anyone? Loved reading "Flowers In the Attic", "Petals on the Wind", "If there be Thorns" & "My Sweet Audrina".....after that, I lost interest...and agree that the movie adaptation of "Flowers..." was too watered down.

Hag1 Guest
    I read them also. I always wondered what kind of a childhood she must have had to write about the incest and all. Somehow, it's just not right that someone can write in your name after you die. not right

hoxharding Guest
    I just started the first book of the 'Early Spring' series(ghostwritten by Andrew Neiderman)
    I found a website that did family trees for each family in every series. Talk about
    confusing! There are so many crossing over and so on. The trees are very well-done,that isn't the problem.
    Also- I noticed a few of the series end the same way and no I will not say how in case you want to read them(or reread)

One other thing:
    In One series-there is a character named 'Mildred Pierce'
    Hm, wonder if V.C. Liked a certain film?

PlumCrazyPurple Guest
    I loved all her books too. I have to agree on the ones written after her death. They didn't do her justice! I'll have to pull them out and start reading them again.

hoxharding Guest
    I know they haven't done her justice.
    I walked over to the mall today and bought 'Flowers in the Attic' and 'Scattered Leaves'(from Early Spring series-written by Andrew neiderman(aka VC Andrews ghostwriter)

hoxharding Guest
    http://www.completevca.com/bio_grave.shtml

This is a link to pictures of V.C. Andrew's grave.
    and here is info about the ghost writer(andrew neiderman)
    http://www.completevca.com/bio_grave.shtml

DeathHag4EVA Guest
    In high school, I was never without a V.C. Andrews or Anne Rice novel. I have read them all. I like the Heaven series the best. I think it's the name, Heaven Leigh. Classic! I agree the movie sucked, but, I thought they did great casting. It is easy after watching the movie to see all of the actors chosen in your head when reading Flowers in the Attic. True the books lost alot of their bite after Andrews died, but they still have a similar voice. If I just cannot get into reading for a while, I can always pick up one of them and fly right through. They are always old faithfulls for me when in a reading slump!

It's probably not the greatest reference for names, but my daughter's name is Audrina. I always loved that name- but I rarely tell people where its from.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    It's probably not the greatest reference for names, but my daughter's name is Audrina. I always loved that name- but I rarely tell people where its from.

*Lol* I can see why you would not mention it. It is a beautiful name though. =)

hoxharding Guest
    I have started reading the books again!
    I am reading the 2nd book of the 'Early Spring' series. I purchased both books for the 'Shadow Series'(?) and I went to the library and put holds on other books-including 'The Gemini Series'(If I like it-I have to buy the last book because the library doesn't have it)
    Btw- So far, the 'Early Spring' series is good. It is not V.C. but interesting. It is about a brother and sister. The sister starts hitting puberty at age 7(thus Early Spring)
    They are made to live in their Grandmother's mansion and of course the family comes apart.

lostsoul23 Guest
    Her books is one of the few that once I pick one up, I can't put it down until I'm done. I understand that there were several manuscripts found after her death, but I noticed a major difference between her work and the ghost writer.

Alexandra Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    I remember everyone in school reading these while I read death hag books. This was the eighties btw. EVERYONE read them. I just recently read the very first and was creepily turned on. No, I didn't have a hot uncle or older brother that I secretly wanted to do. Maybe I'm just ur er uh...horny.
    Or both!

In FITA, Corinne and Christopher were half-siblings as well as half-uncle/niece. What happens when you have the same mother and your fathers are father and son.

In the Cutler series, same thing. Except Dawn was not only Philip's half-sister, she was his aunt as well, since his grandfather was her father, and her stepfather (Randolph) turned out to be her half-brother. Given the events of "Darkest Hour," Philip is the half first cousin of Charlotte and Luther's son Homer. (Interestingly enough Lillian is raped by her adoptive father--her UNCLE, except he's uncle by marriage.)

At least in the Casteel series, it was more straightforward...Heaven having a child by her uncle Troy.

I kind of like the books, well actually I have read them, but don't care much for the incest. Makes you wonder just what went on in Andrews' life for that to pop up like it does.

DeathHag4EVA Guest
    I had to share this, I went to the video store today and found myself looking at old movies as everything new I've seen or it sucks. Anyway, I found the dvd of Rain by V.C. Andrews. Of course I picked it up as I have never seen or heard of it before. I thought Flowers in the Attic was the only one made into a movie. I'm not going to recomend it, it's not the best thing I've seen. But it did have possibilities. Faye Dunaway plays the grandmother. But she plays a sweet grandma, of course! It could have been so great to have Mommy Dearest as a wicked grandmother from a V.C. novel. But not so lucky! She also is very over injected with botox, she can't even smile through the first half of the movie, still, it might be worth a look if you are a die hard fan like myself!

Alexandra Guest
    I think the DVD was supposed to accompany the prequel, "Gathering Clouds" or something.

coleysabusybabe Guest
    What got me about the film 'Flowers in the Attic' is it was known to contain material that would be harsh and could be trouble.
    Yet they did it anyway and softened it- which is ridiculous.
    You either try a way to get the story across in a manner that is acceptable or just not do it at all.

What I thought sucked about the movie was completely chaning the end! I mean come on! "EAT THE COOKIE"! It would have been great if they had actually done the book justice and filmed it as it should have been filmed and that way they might have carried it on!

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    I just started the first book of the 'Early Spring' series(ghostwritten by Andrew Neiderman)
    I found a website that did family trees for each family in every series. Talk about
    confusing! There are so many crossing over and so on. The trees are very well-done,that isn't the problem.
    Also- I noticed a few of the series end the same way and no I will not say how in case you want to read them(or reread)

One other thing:
    In One series-there is a character named 'Mildred Pierce'
    Hm, wonder if V.C. Liked a certain film?
    you wouldnt happen to still have that family tree website id love to see it

the movie really made me angry the whole time i was watching it i kept saying to myself one day im gonna redo this movie and redo it the way it was meant to be done and be faithful to the book the book rocked even my mum read V.C. when she was younger and my mums not a big reader

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post
    you wouldnt happen to still have that family tree website id love to see it

the movie really made me angry the whole time i was watching it i kept saying to myself one day im gonna redo this movie and redo it the way it was meant to be done and be faithful to the book the book rocked even my mum read V.C. when she was younger and my mums not a big reader

http://www.completevca.com/lib_secrets.shtml
    You can scroll to the bottom-click on the pictures and many have summaries,family trees and timeslines.
    Also- in the bookstore area-turns out someone wrote a book that analyzes her writing.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    awesome thanks heaps

xXSTL_AngelXx Guest
    My friend had a copy of "Dawn" and I wanted to read it cause well, my name is Dawn! It was a very good book and then I proceeded reading the rest of the series. It turned out to be a good series of books! I always wondered if they were going to make a movie about "Dawn". It would be quite a movie!

hoxharding Guest
    I just finished the 'Shadow Series' One thing I do see-
    The ghostwriter-Andrew Neiderman wrote a excellent novel titled 'Pin'(also 'The Devil's Advocate' was adapted into film from his novel.)
    Anyway 'Pin' involved a family that destructs and a medical dummy that the boy in the family is obsessed wuth.
    So far, 2 books from two different series involve a boy acting the same way as the boy in 'Pin'
    The 'Shadows' series has a life-like doll involved in the story.

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathHag4EVA View Post
    I had to share this, I went to the video store today and found myself looking at old movies as everything new I've seen or it sucks. Anyway, I found the dvd of Rain by V.C. Andrews. Of course I picked it up as I have never seen or heard of it before. I thought Flowers in the Attic was the only one made into a movie. I'm not going to recomend it, it's not the best thing I've seen. But it did have possibilities. Faye Dunaway plays the grandmother. But she plays a sweet grandma, of course! It could have been so great to have Mommy Dearest as a wicked grandmother from a V.C. novel. But not so lucky! She also is very over injected with botox, she can't even smile through the first half of the movie, still, it might be worth a look if you are a die hard fan like myself!
    i rented rain when it 1st came out, loved faye in it, but that was about it~
    in the movie flowers in the attic, there is a part where they show the house from the outside, you see a window being cleaned by the maid on the inside~ that was vc andrews~ i loved that she had a part in the movie be it a small one~ louise fletcher as the grandmother was spot on~

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    i rented rain when it 1st came out, loved faye in it, but that was about it~
    in the movie flowers in the attic, there is a part where they show the house from the outside, you see a window being cleaned by the maid on the inside~ that was vc andrews~ i loved that she had a part in the movie be it a small one~ louise fletcher as the grandmother was spot on~
    Get out of here! That was V.C. Andrews? I am going to watch that film again. Thanks for the trivia/tip!

annannanna Guest
    I liked Tarnished Gold. I liked the setting of the book. Alot of her books has similar themes. People having sex with way too young girls and having secret babies. I always wondered what happend to VC...

GraveyardGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathHag4EVA View Post
    In high school, I was never without a V.C. Andrews or Anne Rice novel. I have read them all. I like the Heaven series the best. I think it's the name, Heaven Leigh. Classic! I agree the movie sucked, but, I thought they did great casting. It is easy after watching the movie to see all of the actors chosen in your head when reading Flowers in the Attic. True the books lost alot of their bite after Andrews died, but they still have a similar voice. If I just cannot get into reading for a while, I can always pick up one of them and fly right through. They are always old faithfulls for me when in a reading slump!
    My favorite V.C. Andrews series was also the Heaven series. I wold LOVE to see them make a good (duh) movie out of that one.