Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think people ever die when they want to?

Danny62 Guest

Do you think people ever die when they want to?

Do you think some people have an Idea they are going to die about a week before it happens?

You here wierd stories all the time about people who die and about a week before they seemed to just start preparing.

Like if you watched the special on steve Irwin. The speech he gave a fews days before he died I can swear he was saying goodbye...like he knew something was going to happen!.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Do you think some people have an Idea they are going to die about a week before it happens?

You here wierd stories all the time about people who die and about a week before they seemed to just start preparing.

Like if you watched the special on steve Irwin. The speech he gave a fews days before he died I can swear he was saying goodbye...like he knew something was going to happen!.
    This may sound crazy, but yes. Maybe it has to do with some kind of physical feeling they have that their bodies are shutting down, I don't know, but I think--and this may sound really stupid--that people have a tendency to hang on through the holidays (January can get all of a sudden very busy in a funeral home,) and I think too that some people need "permission" to let go. I think there's an intuitive feeling they have; I've heard so many family members say that their loved ones seemed to "know" when to depart. Very sick animals know enough to "find a place to die," like an old dog crawling under the porch to be alone; maybe humans have this ability too.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    People under water can usually tell. Oh, that was so bad. I should slink away.

I did read somewhere that sometimes a person who will die soon can have a yellowish appearance, but only slightly. You'd have to really look.

And I know some do sense something but hang on for someone to tell them it's okay to die.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Yes, I do.....

deathybrad Guest
    Yes, but I think it has to do with freewill. Whether is conscience or subconscience.

Cataroo Guest
    My father passed away 2 days before Christmas last year. He was suffering from multiple cancers (although the lymphoma was the one that finally got him). My son and I flew in from Florida the night of the 21st to spend Christmas with him (the 21st was also his birthday). I was concerned that I had not been able to reach him by phone on his borthday. My mother did not tell me until I got there that he had already been in the hospital for 3 days. We went to see him the next day and he was just barely hanging on, but he managed to open his eyes and look at my son, then he closed and opened his eyes again and looked at me. I know he was not going to live much longer. I called my then-estranged daughter who was living with her father in North Carolina and told her she needed to get up to see him ASAP. My ex-husband drove her for 6 hours straight so that she could come and see him. Before we left the hospital, we all said our private goodbyes to him (he did manage to open his eyes and look at my daughter as well). He passed away 5 hours later.

I think that he hung on for 2 reasons ... he knew my son and I were coming and he wanted to see my family reconciled. I think he was finally able to let go when he knew that he had healed the rift within our family. That's the kind of man he was.
    Last edited by Cataroo; 10-28-2007 at 05:43 AM.

A close, elderly work colleague died a few years ago. His house was spotless, his car was in the garage (something he never, ever did), he'd spent the majority of the day tidying his garden and it later emerged he'd paid all of his very close friends a visit 'to say a quick hello and for a nice cup of coffee'.
    He didn't turn up for work the following morning (only the second time in about 12 years for the same company) so we drove round to knock on his door to see if he was ok. We called the police who broke in and there he was, dead in bed. He had placed the photos from his lounge walls of all his family members on the bedside table. He died of natural causes at a good age.

Scared the shit out of me how he appeared to know he was going. It can't be proved but i'm convinced.

deathybrad Guest
    When my Grandmother died she hung in there long enough for the family to road trip it to Florida then she died the night we left.

deathybrad Guest
    I think the will to live or die is most evident in what they call "broken heart syndrome" when a spouse dies shortly after the other even though the remaining may be in "reasonable" health.

Jazbabee Guest
    I believe that SOME people know beforehand, but not all. And I have always wondered if this would actually be a blessing or a curse ? I suppose it depends on the situation.

poppie Guest
    I do believe some people know the end is soon. There are so many things in life and death that cannot ever be fully explained.

Bake Guest
    I believe everyone knows, just some or more "intune" and know it.
    My step mother "knew" she was not going to live a very long life. She actually wrote two letters, one to my father and one to her kids, 10 years previous to her passing. She passed at 67 yrs old.

When I visited my grandma for the last time when I was about to leave she said don't worry im not afraid to die 2 days later she died.

attackatdawn Guest
    Yes I believe that it is possible, a few weeks before my mom passed away I went to go see her. She was actually doing ok, she had survived colon & bladder cancer 7 years before. Anyway she told me I could have a antique picture (she had planned to give me after her death) I might as well have it now. I said "Mom, you have not passed away yet so I do not want it now. Who knows I could go before you!" A few weeks after that she went to see my sister who lives in Nebraska for Thankgiving. Thanksgiving morning my sister awoke and was wondering why mother hadn't got up yet it was in the mid morning and mom always got up early. She went into her room and mom had passed away, auptopsy said she had a massive cornary attack. She had not been ill that we know of.

ajurk Guest
    my moms (i refer to her in the plural) has worked in a nursing home/assisted living place for the past 15 years. she knows when her residents are going to die, within 24 hours. and she'll call the family and tell them to come and say goodbye or if there is no family, she'll stay with them. she says that she can just tell. also, when my grandmother died my moms called everyone and told them to get to the hospital and say goodbye. my grandma was dying of lykemia and i was only 11, but i remember my moms had everyone that could fit in the room come in and take off their gloves and masks and hold my grandmother and she died a few hours later.

also when my grandfathers wife margie (i refuse to call her my grandmother) died, she was in the hospital, she broke her hip and had surgery. the doctors said she was fine, just a little bit out of it. my moms called me and told me to go see her for the last time (she was my grandfathers 8th wife we didnt like her very much). so, i went to see her. there were 4 of her family members there and my friend was with me. margie was out of it, couldnt even speak. her family said that she was not really all there. well i was like, ok im outta here and margie grabbed me and told me that she loved my grandfather and was going to go and be with him and to let everyone know that she really did love him and wasnt there for his money (he was loaded) and that he watched over me and was always with me (he had been dead 4 years) and that she would be leaving soon. and then she laid back down. somehow no one else in the room noticed that. i ran out of there. margie died the next morning. then we found out that she took all of my grandfathers money (which was suppose to go to my moms after all of his lawsuits settled) and put it into cd's for her granddaughter.

Reecy Guest

Unhappy

I believe some of them do know.

They give you signs. Of course I don't get the sign until they die. Then I say to myself they gave you signs.

Now as I continue living my life I am looking for signs. If I see them I get scared.

RoRo Guest
    Working with the elderly I can say without a doubt yes they do know, I think MbalmeR hit the nail on the head. I don't know about accidental deaths but the elderly know for sure

monhol Guest
    yes i work with the elderly and they do know. one lady told one of my co-workers "if i die tonight it will be okay, i had a good life" the next day she was gone. she was 102 and still had her faculties. my mom was sick and she knew she did not have much time. my dad is now in the hospital and he has been saying for at least 3 years that he knows he's leaving us. my dad retired 3 years ago and some of his co-worker have already passed or are sick. they all retired when my dad did. there is only a 2 year life span for people who retire from my dad job.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Scared the shit out of me how he appeared to know he was going. It can't be proved but i'm convinced.
    That was a cool story.

It'd sure be nice if we all got a day's warning to wrap everything up.

SarahThirteen Guest
    my cousin's uncle recently passed away (few weeks ago) and the night he died he sent a few people text messages saying he was going to die... the next day my cousin found him dead in his house.... He had a heart attack. So yes I do believe people know.

beautygirlsmom Guest
    Oh I know people know - they may not know consciously, but something makes them behave differently. My sister definitely put things in order and did stuff differently in the weeks before her death - and that was a sudden, out of the blue, we had no clue passing. And my father knew. I wonder if the spirit prepares you...

cindyk Guest
    my great uncle had been released from the hospital after an illness they though was getting better and my great aunt was taking care of him 24/7. they were both in their late 70s/early 80s. they had been watching tv together in the den while she was holding his head. he asked her to get a drink for him and when she came back, he had died. i choose to believe that he knew he was going and did not want her to see him in those last few moments and that he waited for her to leave the room before he passed.

also, my one psych teacher who is a psychologist in a nursing home/assisted living home also told us many stories. she said that there was this cat and they call it the 'cat of death' because it will always cuddle up with a person who ends up dying the next day. ugh i would hate to be in that home if that cat came near me i would be freaked out (i'm not sure if the patients knew it was a 'cat of death' or not though).
    she also said one lady knew that she was going to die and wanted to so bad because she had accomplished everythinig in her life that she wanted. she told my teacher that when seh comes to work next time and finds out that she was dead, to shout 'yay!'. so, my teacher did and got a few baffled looks then quickly explained heh

Kathyf Guest
    I think there may be a sense of something but not sure what

Armcast Guest
    My dad died in 2000. He'd been ill with kidney failure for about 6 years and his heart wasn't that good. I remember that the day before he died his blood glucose level was real low and it took me a while before it came up to normal (he was a diabetic). Anyway, later in the day, I told him that I was really worried about the morning's episode and he told me not to worry, one day he was going to be gone and I had to resign myself and let him go.

That day, his nurse came and when she was done for the day, told me that he had asked her to bathe him and dye his hair and moustache. He had asked for some new clothes he had bought some time before to wear.

That night, before he went to bed, he picked up his hat and put it on his head (my dad never left the house without his hat). I told him we weren't going anywhere but to bed. He said he wanted it close to him for when he left the next morning (he was scheduled for his dialysis the next day).

The next morning, I went to his room and he had died. It comforted me to know that somehow he new the end was coming and was looking forward to it by getting all "spruced" up so he could see my mom again (she had died in 1990).

I don't know if everyone can sense their own death, but I'm convinced my dad did and he wasn't scared at all when the time came. That serves as a great comfort to me.

djdeath-hag Guest
    I believe this happens quite often.
    Along the same lines....I was quite certain that I was going to die in the spring of '99. At that point, I'd had 2 open-heart surguries, more complications than anyone could have imagined, yet I WAS back to working full-time. My sense that I was dying was so strong...yet peaceful. I'd long since made peace w/ Mr. Mortality. I remember telling anyone who would listen....I think I'm going soon....I don't feel bad, per se....I just feel really zoned. It was kind of like being intoxicated without loss of coordination or slurred speech. I no longer felt safe to drive. I was certain every night when I went to sleep that I'd wake up dead. (yeah, I know...but you hags understand my meaning!)
    Turns out....my FORMER cardioligist had over prescribed one of my meds. I was indeed STONED outta my mind on Atenolol (Tenormin). Once the dosage was reduced, my sense of an imminent peaceful happy ending disappeared.....just in time for new complications....that ended my working days.

I hope that when it IS the real deal approaching that I'll feel as good & be correct. Maybe THEN they'll believe me.....until then, call me Chicken Little!

MoJo67 Guest
    When it comes to death from natural causes, I firmly believe it. I have dealt with many deaths that way, and now, when I see someone (most recently a favorite aunt, just 3 weeks ago) kind of getting in "that mode" I just know soon they will be gone.

When I was younger, I was in a few situations that could've ended in death. Years later I'd realized that I'd had odd feelings before being in each situation. These feelings became evident later as premonitions not to go where I was about to go or do what I was about to do. But being young and the feelings not having any basis in fact at the time, I shrugged them off.

In two situations, I escaped serious injury by quick thinking. In another, I escaped death by doing what a lot of people wouldn't have the stomach to do. Why? Because it pissed me off that I was going to go out like that. So I thought of the one thing I could do that I felt would throw the other person in the situation completely off guard. I'm not going to say what happened or get detailed at all. But I will say it worked.

Now when I get that feeling-which is ofcourse very rarely-I stop what I'm doing and consider alternatives. Then I choose one. Because of this, I'm here writing this today I think. So yeah, I think we get premonitions about death and impending danger. We just need to listen to them.

knothere Guest
    if u have a terminal illness yes i believe ppl know when theyr gonna die
    but by accident n not of natural causes no i dont think so

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Without question, some people know, even if they have an unexpected event like a sudden heart attack. Less than two weeks before he died, George Lutz (of Amityville Horror Lutz family) began saying good-bye to friends differently and telling them he loved them, as he had not done before, as if he knew he would not get another chance. I sensed his death was coming too, but it happened before my 'vibes' guessed ; but then again, George (Lee to his friends) died about 8 days after my own father, so my vibes were kinda clouded. Many people close to him told similar stories about getting a strong sense that their farewells were final, and sure enough they were -- even though Lee was taken down by a massive heart attack that gave no precursors. I didn't know him for long before he died but he was a very fine human being -- and no, the haunting was *not* a hoax, that's something that got screwed via Hollywood. No member of the Lutz family has ever recanted the haunting, but have admitted Hollywood exaggerated a couple of things, added a couple others ... it's ironic that the most horrifying part of their ordeal was never made public, and if the family's wishes are respected, it will never be made public during their lifetimes, at the very least, if ever at all.

I've seen several people "sense it coming" -- of all ages.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Also several people of note have predicted their deaths, some of which predicted the actual method by which they died ...

I believe people do. I have seen patients that were supposed to be going home, almost fully recovered, ect. ask for family or say things like they won't be here tomorrow. They just look at you in a way like "you don't understand and you won't understand".

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Yes...right before the plane crashed into the canyon wall...but nobody lives to tell it

Guest Guest
    Back in June of 2002 my sister at age 39 died. Her death was very unexpected even though she had been born with a congenital birth defect that caused her to be ill her entire life. My sister was a miserable human being, I know that sounds harsh but I blame it on the pills she got hooked on, she wasn't very friendly and used her illness to gain whatever she pleased, I loved her but I didn't like her very much.

About 3 weeks before she died she started telephoning on a regular basis and apologizing to members of the family for her past behaviors..she had gotten a new Dr. and he put her on the analgesic pain patch and got her off of the pills...she was making an effort to participate with the family etc...the day before her death she went to the Dr and he said everything looked good and that the weening was going very well...she said she felt better than she ever has in her life! The following morning she was found dead, sitting on the bathroom counter giving herself a facial!!!!!

Do I think she knew she was going to die? You bet I do...if you had known her as I did growing up and in our adult years and what a miserable bitch se could be...then whammo she does this 360 and making the emphasis being how sorry she was for the past and please forgive and I'll do better etc etc...she knew it was going to happen

Kathyf Guest
    sorry to hear you lost her so young. I am glad she was able to make ammends.

MbalmR Guest
    Shortly before my father died, he became a complete and utter bastard toward me. That was NOT his style at all!! He had always been the light of my life, my safe place, my mentor, you name it--all the cliches--but suddenly, he became this THING I couldn't recognize. The night before he died, he said something particularly cruel to me, almost as if he knew it would keep me from visiting him the next day, and sure enough, the next day, he died.

My father was a very independent and supremely stubborn man. The LAST thing he would have wanted was an audience for his final departure, and he also knew that I'd be there, sniffling, pacing, trying to hold his hand, goading him into drinking a bit of water.....he just didn't WANT that, and probably used every last bit of energy he had to push me away.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I want an audience when I'm in the middle of my death throes. If I'm that sick, that old, or just plain ready to go, I'd probably like to do it by myself without the tears or the final good byes. I know who my friends are; I know who loves me and who doesn't give a toss, and I don't think I want anyone to witness my last act of possibly soiling my bed as I go.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    and I don't think I want anyone to witness my last act of possibly soiling my bed as I go.
    Well, I think the trick there is to get known for soiling the bed while you're still alive.

That way, they won't notice anything out of the ordinary when you're gone, you see.

(Tips from a pro!)

GrinReaper Guest

Do you think people ever die when they want to?

Do you think maybe people sometimes let go and die?
    I think so.
    I knew someone who ended up sick in a hospital and he died on his wedding anniversary or right after it. I don't think he was consciouss when he went.
    Johnny Cash died soon after June Carter. They say diabetes. I say it was a broken heart.
    What do you think?
    Coinscidence or fate?

Littleroben Guest
    Without a doubt I agree with you. I think when people get to a certain stage and they have done all they want to/can do they let go.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I think so.
    I knew someone who ended up sick in a hospital and he died on his wedding anniversary or right after it. I don't think he was consciouss when he went.
    Johnny Cash died soon after June Carter. They say diabetes. I say it was a broken heart.
    What do you think?
    Coinscidence or fate?
    I think if you're in a place of extreme grief or depression, yeah I would believe you could give up on it all and "will" yourself to die.

I believe that. Especially people who are friends with Dr. Kovorkian.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Danny62 Guest
    I have read numerous stories of spouses dying within days of each other. I do believe someone can die from a broken heart, just lose the will to live especially if you have lost your soul mate!!

The mind is very powerful!!

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I have read numerous stories of spouses dying within days of each other. I do believe someone can die from a broken heart, just lose the will to live especially if you have lost your soul mate!!

The mind is very powerful!!
    AS well as the spirit

OCEANLIGHTS Guest
    I totally believe that too. When my mom died of cancer, my dad would visit her grave, kneel down and tell her he will be joining her very soon, how much he missed and loved her...it was so heartbreaking to hear him say those things. I told him he had a lot to live for but he just focused on being with her. Five months later I buried my dad.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Without a doubt I agree with you. I think when people get to a certain stage and they have done all they want to/can do they let go.
    Sam Kinison is another example. At first he said he didn't want to die. Then he said, "But why? Ok, OK, Ok" as if he was talking to someone he loved.
    It seems like he could have let go.

Why do husbands die before their wives?

Because they want to.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    You know they say that when a spouse dies the other has a chance of dying or they increase their chance of dying within 6 months or something like that. I learned about this a few years back in my abnormal psychology class.

My grand mother passed away (dad's mom)of lung cancer and in 7 months my grand father passed away of unknown causes. My dad tells me that after my grandmother died my grandfather was inconsolable/

I do think that some people are just ready to die. I think that some are in just too much pain that they do give up. I'm talking about people who are very sick are in the hospital, in a coma, et. I lost the only grandfather (mom's side) I've ever known last year. My mother was by him side the whole time. My mom would say that even though he couldn't talk or move much that he would go into violent rages and disconnect everything all the tubes he had in mouth and chest. He did it constantly. My mom knew he was ready to go. She said that he would look at her and in his eyes he was telling my mom he was ready to go. My mom and aunt/uncles made the decision to take him off life support and just let him go. They took him off life support on a Thursday evening, he passed away at exactly 12:00am on GOOD FRIDAY. My grandfather was a very religious man. Like you said, Coincidence or fate?

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I think so.
    What do you think?
    Coinscidence or fate?

Kathyf Guest
    My Grandpa died less than a year after my grandma died. The doctor said it was from a broken heart.

onehunglow Guest
    Yes I do.

MorbidMolly Guest
    My mother fought congestive heart failure for 8 years.....they gave her 5 after the triple by-pass.....the last three were for her youngest granddaughter, so " she will remember me ".....she chose when she wanted to let go.....and she did it with grace and style

Jaxxx Guest
    Yes, I think my mom waited until I left the hospital to die, so I would see it.