Thread: Groovy Girl Groups of the 60's

Groovy Girl Groups of the 60's

Anyone else like the way cool girl groups of the 60's? The Shangri La's, Supremes, Ronettes and so many more. Who are your favorites?

There's also going to be a show featuring several of these groovy ladies on PBS @ 8:00 PST if anyone's interested.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dammit! I missed it. Just got home from a road trip. Just me and the ol' Lady getting our kicks on Route 66. When it comes by your area Darling go see "20 Feet From The Spotlight". Good movie and good music.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Cool Cindy, thanks

Never heard of that one before, Mel. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Oh and you may be able to go to www.pbs.org and stream the show since you missed it. I'm not sure if it's a new special or what. But lots of times they have shows in the current monthly roster available for voewing online.

Forever-27 Guest
    I dig the old Phil spector girl acts. The Crystals, Darlene Love, Bobby sox and the blue jeans, The Ronettes. , the dixie cups, ... even The Angels. Could give a dam about phils criminal record. He made some of the best music ever. I saw Ronnie Spector live a ways back. She's friggin awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Cool Cindy, thanks

Never heard of that one before, Mel. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Oh and you may be able to go to www.pbs.org and stream the show since you missed it. I'm not sure if it's a new special or what. But lots of times they have shows in the current monthly roster available for voewing online.

Thank you veddy much.

Forever-27 Guest
    Sorry , watching Ghost Shark on sci fi channel, may catch the show on pbs some other time

You betcha, Mel. And cool about Ronnie Spector, F27

What else is cool? Mary Wilson is doing a bit of commentary - sweet! There may be others. But I'm going back and forth between the bbq and the living room, so I'm sure I missed a few. Got it cranked and can hear the music when I'm outside though. Best music to bbq by evah

Anyone remember Leslie Gore? Now that's a distinctive voice! Totally forgot about her until I saw here just now.

Forever-27 Guest
    Naw , Leslie Gore was more 50s bubble gum pop. Its her party and shell cry if she wants to. I met mary wilson years ago, nice lady, one of the founding members of the supremes
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I dig the old Phil spector girl acts. The Crystals, Darlene Love, Bobby sox and the blue jeans, The Ronettes. , the dixie cups, ... even The Angels. Could give a dam about phils criminal record. He made some of the best music ever. I saw Ronnie Spector live a ways back. She's friggin awsome.
    Love The Crystals, The Dixie Cups, and especially The Ronettes. Sirius/XM "Underground Garage" mixes in a lot of their tunes with Ramones, Kinks, etc.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Dixie Cups were just on So was Shelley Fabares original performance of Johnny Angel from the Donna Reed Show. The girl group backing her up was unnamed. That seems kinda weird for a show about girl groups.

Now it's my all-time fave and her backup singers in the original video - Aretha Franklin and Respect. Awwww yeeaaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Dammit! I missed it. Just got home from a road trip. Just me and the ol' Lady getting our kicks on Route 66. When it comes by your area Darling go see "20 Feet From The Spotlight". Good movie and good music.
    I think they're having all this cool stuff this week because it's pledge drive week. Like right now ot's the Elvis special I just posted about in his thread. So keep an eye on your local listings.

I double checked and it was not on our PBS station last night. Our pledge week was a couple ago and it did play the. I caught part of it.

Gotcha. I didn't realize the listings aren't nationwide, all playing the same shows like the major networks are. Thanks Mel.

Your welcome. Pledge weeks rock if you can put up with the interruptions, I call those bathroom breaks.

You betcha, Mel. And cool about Ronnie Spector, F27

What else is cool? Mary Wilson is doing a bit of commentary - sweet! There may be others. But I'm going back and forth between the bbq and the living room, so I'm sure I missed a few. Got it cranked and can hear the music when I'm outside though. Best music to bbq by evah

Anyone remember Leslie Gore? Now that's a distinctive voice! Totally forgot about her until I saw here just now.

Love her! My fave song:

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to
    Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
    You would cry too if it happened to you
    Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone
    Judy left the same time
    Why was he holding her hand
    When he's supposed to be mine?
    Play all my records, keep dancing all night
    But leave me alone for a while
    'Til Johnny's dancing with me
    I've got no reason to smile
    Oh, Judy and Johnny just walked through that door
    Like a queen with her King
    Oh what a birthday surprise
    Judy's wearin' his ring
    Oh it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to
    Cry if I want to

Last edited by cindyt; 09-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I Loved Leslie Gore! I was the youngest of 8 kids so I grew up with this music I remember being just a tot dancing and singing to this song. What made it even cooler.........my oldest Sister is named Judy.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ill think of her name in a few , but reminds me of The Locomotion.. which Grand Funk Railroad later ripped off.

Same with The Teddy Bears ... To know him is to love him

Or .. jesus I'm slippin here but she sang The Name Game , another chick I'll think of at about 3 am. Another good song was by The Toys, .. A Lovers Concherto.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Ill think of her name in a few , but reminds me of The Locomotion.. which Grand Funk Railroad later ripped off.

Same with The Teddy Bears ... To know him is to love him

Or .. jesus I'm slippin here but she same The Name Game , another chick I'll think of at about 3 am. Another good song was by The Toys, .. A Lovers Concherto.
    The Name Game.......Shirley Ellis?

The Locomotion = Little Eva

Now I have some of these songs running through my head endlessly, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PePXnXxRGE A one hit wonder but I have always like this song. The Jaynetts - Sally Go Round The Roses.

Billy Weathersby Guest
    The Shirells - 'nuff said.

Love The Supremes with Flo (she don't know) Ballard.

Thought about them today because they're razing the Brewster Projects in Detroit. That's where Flo and the girls lived before they hit the big time.

Not really a girl "group" but was a HUGE fan of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walking." There's infamous family film of five-year-old me singing that song while rockin my go-go boots.
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Love The Supremes with Flo (she don't know) Ballard.

Thought about them today because they're razing the Brewster Projects in Detroit. That's where Flo and the girls lived before they hit the big time.

Not really a girl "group" but was a HUGE fan of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walking." There's infamous family film of five-year-old me singing that song while rockin my go-go boots.
    When i was a teen, I used to put on a stack of LPs, use one of those things you could stack 45s on, and pretend to be a famous singer. I'd bow to the invisible audience after each song. These Boots Were Made For Walking was one of my all time faves. Name:  rock.gif
Views: 137
Size:  1.8 KB
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Forever-27 Guest
    Thanks cleanskull, I haven't heard sally go round the roses in friggin years. Thanks for remembering that

Now I have some of these songs running through my head endlessly, lol.

I've had The Name Game running through my head all day, but Jessica Lange is singing it. American Horror Story

So many great 60's girl groups. I liked The Shangri-Las mainly because I had a crush on the lead singer! The twin back up singers weren't bad either! Always thought the Murmaids song "Popsicles, Icicles " was surreal
    "

Forever-27 Guest
    They've reissued the " A Christmas gift for you album " with The Ronettes , The Crystals , Darlene Love and Bobbie Sox and the Blue Jeans doing Christmas songs. The original album was released by Phil Spector on December 1 of 1963 but was halted as a few thousand had already been sent to stores. After Kennedy was shot I guess the country wasn't really into celebrating anything let alone be in a festive mood. As I said they've reissued it , its expensive, not the same 1963 price but its on pink vinyl. Funny, Leon Russell and Sonny Bono are credited as musicans. Not that I give 2 shits about Christmas but I love Ronnie Spector
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-15-2016 at 11:47 AM.

The Shangri-Las were and are my favorite girl group. I had a tattoo done when I was 19 and the banner says Shangri-las, it has faded so it's hard to decipher now. The Goodees had a minor hit with a Shangs inspired song, which I love !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.