Thread: Linda Ronstadt - Parkinson's disease

Linda Ronstadt - Parkinson's disease

Sad news...she can no longer sing ever again because of it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...sease/2694053/

I've known people who lived for years with Parkinson's, but for people in the public eye like Ronstadt and Bob Hoskins, it has to be close to a death sentence.

Forever-27 Guest
    I'm sure Jerry Brown isn't shedding any tears over this.

A shame because I have a few of her albums I listen to from time to time

Bidmor Guest
    Sad news from Linda. She's one of the few singers from not too distant past who could actually sing...what a pair of pipes she had! Linda sang pop, rock, country...all top drawer. Didn't she also do some opera? One of few who could sing just about any genre perfectly.

I like a few of her older songs. I always thought she was so pretty when she was young, I loved her style.

How sad. Loved her cover of "You're No Good". I watched my grandfather get slammed with this the last 10 years of his life. I wish her the best.
    Cindy

I have to say this floored me. One of my all time favorites.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

This is horrible news. I didn't know (though it does make sense) that those with Parkinson's can't sing. I also didn't know that actor Bob Hoskins has Parkinson's, too! Damn!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

This news sucks! That fucking disease took away the voice of an angel. Been listening to her for over four decades.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

67. Shit, where have the years gone?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Joee Guest
    I remember driving from Millmont,Pa to Oceanside,Ca and it seemed every song was either by the Stone Poneys, Carpenters or Lobo.

I had such a crush on her in the 1970s.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I saw her perform in Pirates of Penzance. I had always been a fan but she gave an amazing performance. She had such an angelic, clear voice. A true talent at a time when true talent is becoming so rare. Such terribly sad news.
    I mean, they say you die twice.
    One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

Banksy

endsleigh03 Guest
    This really is sad. It's a nasty disease.

NOVSTORM Guest
    lol She didn't shed a tear when she dumped the ahole . I always liked her especially her Blue Bayou. she could really belt those songs out.

Bayou Queen Guest
    I saw her at the Jazz Fest here years ago. She was dating Jazz Fest promoter Quint Davis and by some miracle I happened to be very close to the stage and she sang it seemed like for 2 hours. She was fabulous and looked amazing, I think she had on a red dress with big white polka dots on it. I remember people telling me I looked a little like her centuries ago when we were both young and skinny. So sad. Getting old is hell. But then look at the alternative. Man, who didn't she date?
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 08-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.

From a long term cancer survivor.............................good luck and may God be with you.

Thanatonic Guest
    One of my very few regrets in life was NOT going to her Canciones de mi Padre concert...

Elizabeth Guest
    So sad to hear this....she had the best country/rock voice....and for those young-uns who don't know who she is, listen to this.....

http://youtu.be/_G46AMsn8K0

Much better than Miley or Britney!!!

My BIL has Parkinsons, it was his voice that went first. He had been complaining of trouble with his voice for months.
    He is barely decipherable. It also freezes the facial muscles.
    Just saw him recently and this is a horrid disease

Arky67 Guest
    My father had Parkinsons. Since he was a boy his favorite pastime was playing guitar and singing for himself as well as performing for others. A few years before he died his fingers stiffened and and his voice failed. He could no longer play and sing because of the disease. It is horrible.

Bunratty Guest
    When I was a 21 YO I thought that Linda was the hottest thing on the planet

I wish her strength to deal with this trial

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    So sad to hear this....she had the best country/rock voice....and for those young-uns who don't know who she is, listen to this.....

http://youtu.be/_G46AMsn8K0

Much better than Miley or Britney!!!
    I so agree, what a great song.

She is a major babe and a major talent; I had quite a - I don't if you'd call it so much a crush as a lust for her; but she was so talented. Parkinson's really sucks. Here we have a truly gifted singer who can no longer sing; and look at Muhammad Ali; in my opinion one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen; and they are no longer able to do what they did better than almost everyone else in their prime. They still know who they were and what they could do; but the disease has robbed them and us of who they were.

On a plus note; Michael J. Fox seems to be managing well for now.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I can't tell you how many times I held up her Album covers with one hand..........All kidding aside ......she had a magnificent voice, before the studios could make her sound better, and she truly was a beautiful woman
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

babyblujems Guest
    Ok little side question here. When did LL Cool J and N.W.A. become rock? And why were they on the final ballot to be inducted, oh if she lost out to them.....
    BOT I love her voice, Blue Bayou still gives me chills.

A better story link to CNN's Linda Ronstadt Doc. https://www.cnn.com/shows/linda-ronstadt-cnn-film

That's just sad.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

One of the great singers of our time, I loved the documentary. Didn't like the tag for the film though, Before Beyonce and Gaga, there was Linda. Sorry, Linda could blow those two out of the park with one note.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 01-02-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    One of the great singers of our time, I loved the documentary. Didn't like the tag for the film though, Before Beyonce and Gaga, there was Linda. Sorry, Linda could blow those two out of the park with one note.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The documentary was really good. It took me a while to get hold of it but I really enjoyed it and as for her voice, let's be honest, she could blow the majority of the singers of this generation out of the water. Like Stevie Nicks another favourite of mine, she didn't need autotune or any other machinery to help her sound as good as she did. I'm too young to have seen her live so my only experience is watching vids of her on YouTube and I can honestly say, I've never seen a bad performance.

The only iffy one was a live version of Distant Drum. I don't know if it was the way it was recorded or what but it doesn't bear much resemblance to what they are supposed to be playing. Linda however, manages to save the day and delivers like she always did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    The documentary was really good. It took me a while to get hold of it but I really enjoyed it and as for her voice, let's be honest, she could blow the majority of the singers of this generation out of the water. Like Stevie Nicks another favourite of mine, she didn't need autotune or any other machinery to help her sound as good as she did. I'm too young to have seen her live so my only experience is watching vids of her on YouTube and I can honestly say, I've never seen a bad performance.

The only iffy one was a live version of Distant Drum. I don't know if it was the way it was recorded or what but it doesn't bear much resemblance to what they are supposed to be playing. Linda however, manages to save the day and delivers like she always did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc
    I never got to see Linda or Stevie in concert. A friend of mine did see Stevie and all he could say was "Wow!" She was that good. She, Linda and a few others were singers in the truest sense. No gimmicks and gadgets, just the voice.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

When they showed her performance in " The Pirates of Penzance," it blew me away. The notes she hit were amazing.

Dad died with Parkinson disease. He was a welder This was 1987. Now i see all the law commercials telling welders with the disease tocontact their law firms Too late for poor dad. Its a miserable way to live and die.

Today I just hope all the best for her because Linda
    did all kinds of music.
    It will live on for years after she will get her voice
    back.