Thread: George Orwell

George Orwell

[SIZE=3]Eric Arthur Blair [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Born: 25 June 1903[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Died: 21 January 1950 (age 46)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Better known by the pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. Noted as a novelist and critic as well as a political and cultural commentator, Orwell is among the most widely admired English-language essayists of the 20th century. He is best known for two novels critical of totalitarianism in general, and Stalinism in particular: Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four. Both were written and published towards the end of his life.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Orwell died in London at the age of 46 from tuberculosis. He was in and out of hospitals for the last three years of his life. Having requested burial in accordance with the Anglican rite, he was interred in All Saints' Churchyard, Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire with the simple epitaph: "Here lies Eric Arthur Blair, born June 25, 1903, died January 21, 1950"; no mention is made on the gravestone of his more famous pen-name. He had wanted to be buried in the graveyard of the closest church to wherever he happened to die, but the graveyards in central London had no space. Fearing that he might have to be cremated, against his wishes, his widow appealed to his friends to see if any of them knew of a church with space in its graveyard. Orwell's friend David Astor lived in Sutton Courtenay and negotiated with the vicar for Orwell to be buried there, although he had no connection with the village.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Kathyf Guest
    So young. Interesting how he came to be at that cemetary.

Guest Guest
    Marvellous writer. 1984 seems so prophetic! I remember the Animal Farm cartoon voiced by the late Brit actor Maurice Denham! Great stuff!
    Nice to see a pic of his gravestone - interesting that there is only his real name inscribed on it! I bet there are many undiscovered star graves with birth names on just waiting to be discovered.

My personal fav of his is The Animal Farm... funny yet tragic..It is one of those books that a book collection is not complete without - and I have it in mine

Nice to see a pic of his grave - guess he did not want a big fuss. Quite a few pretty famous Danish actors are burried in family plots with no mention of them other than the family name... quite interesting actually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Eric Blair went under the psuedonym of George Orwell, some say, because he was kicked out of prep school for compulsive masturbation and he thought some would remember.

Maybe this is where he got the "Big Brother is watching you" concept.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Taggerez Guest
    Orwell was such a valuable writer and thinker. Check my avitar and heed the thunder.

RubySlippers Guest
    i was in Honor's english in junior high and AP english in high school - and if i do not ever ever ever see, read, or hear about 1984 again, it will be too soon. GOD! we even had to write a paper in "doublespeak". flipping outrageous.

you don't have to scream a lot to keep an age in tune

oh,winston is on "vacation",mind if i walk you home?
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Eric Blair went under the psuedonym of George Orwell, some say, because he was kicked out of prep school for compulsive masturbation and he thought some would remember.

Maybe this is where he got the "Big Brother is watching you" concept.

Interesting and quite likely.

his defence of p.g. wodehouse is certainly worth reading.

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Taggerez Guest

Smile

GOD! we even had to write a paper in "doublespeak". flipping outrageous.
    Not too outrageous, our government officials do it every day.

Great book, great author

the dictators of the'40s always had mass displays of their portraits. every office had a picture of stalin hitler or il duce in their realms. big brother had a moustache,so he is probably based on stalin.

george fought with the POUM a trotskyite group in the spainsh civil war,infiltrated and betrayed by stalinist elements. this was probably the source of the insect like paranoia.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 01-12-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: keep the apidistra flying! we are the village green

i clicked on the ny times,and there was an article on cocktails. our local papers,even the free ones are always pushing wine sales and tastings,exotic vodkas and the like.

things have'nt changed much since 1948,big brother wants and likes you consuming the victory gin.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 01-13-2009 at 11:31 PM.

I think George Orwell is the great writer.
    So enjoyed all of his books.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.