Thread: Little Indian Girl With Gigantic Head

Little Indian Girl With Gigantic Head

Attachment 46232Has anyone else seen this story in the press ? It's about a little 18 month old girl called Roona Begum, who's poor Indian parents can't afford to get her treatment for her hyrdracepthelus head .It was in the Daily Mail yesterday and the Sun newspaper , who both promised to add details of how people can help .Well the Sun has still not added info and the Mail has got a doctor to quote she is beyond help , but surely pain relief and a hospital would be better than what she's got now which is nothing !! the comments from the articles is filled with frustrated people calling on someone to get her help. If only someone would .......

Hydrocephalus is awful. She won't last long, too much pressure on the brain. I've never seen a baby with a head that large, but I've seen some pretty big ones when I was in the NICU. When you touch their head it feels a rotten peach from all the fluid.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Pryncis Guest
    I swear, that just doesn't look possible. The pain she must be feeling has got to be just horrible...

I wish I hadn't looked at this. Poor baby girl.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Mars attacks!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

6. 04-14-2013, 10:10 AM

If anyone wants to follow what is happening to Roona go to https://www.facebook.com/MGAct ,at last a Norwegian group has set up a fund and they have tracked down the journo who did this story .Hopefully she get will some pain relief soon .They say she is probably blind by now but a doctor should be able to give whatever help is left now they have the funds.

Hope they can make her comfortable. Poor little girl.

AussieBec Guest
    poor baby girl,Hopefully they can get her some sort of help

ozzysmom Guest
    That can't be real! Please God, make that not real!!!!

I know! Poor baby, it almost looks photoshopped. I hope she gets the help she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    Neil you're normally funny - but not this time .
    Neil, you, and every member on FAD has a right to say whatever they want--as long as it doesn't break the rules--without criticism from fellow posters. If you don't like a post, scroll on down or put that person on your Ignore List, but in future please do not put the brakes on a thread by calling someone out about what they have posted.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I think shes too far gone to be saved.
    Shes had this condition since birth and shes a year and a half old now. FFS why didnt they do something earlier?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I know! Poor baby, it almost looks photoshopped. I hope she gets the help she needs.
    It looks photoshopped to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It looks photoshopped to me too.
    That was my first thought, so I looked at some images and there was a few pretty bad ones. That doesn't mean this one hasn't been enhanced--If The Daily Mail and/or The Sun said the sky was blue I'd have to go look.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I would love this to turn out to be photo shopped but I think unfortunately it's real .Although it looks too late for a shunt to be fitted, pain relief would still help enormously .The fund has risen to over $7,000 now ,just waiting for doctors to actually get going to her village - poor little mite.

tarsier Guest
    I don't see how they have kept her alive this long seems like that would be way more expensive than a shunt.

For anyone who is interested the little girl Roona is en route to a hospital with her family .They have raised more than enough money for her to get the best care and after care .If she pulls through the op , hopefully further down the line I may be able to post some pix of her with a nearer normal sized head .

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Mars attacks!
    lol I missed you Neil...I must say I had seen this photo making the rounds on Facebook....somone said it was fake, some said no. I'd want to know for sure. If true the poor thing...must be very hard on her family. If Fake, I'm with Neal....it reminded me of a Martian movie.

It could be real (it also could be Photoshopped). I have old medical books with pictures of hydrocephalic babies and toddlers. Their heads are absolutely unbelievably huge. The shape of this girl's head is the same as theirs.

She would have very little brain left. The pressure inside the skull gradually destroys the brain tissue, leaving just a thin layer. However, the brainstem would still be functioning, which explains why her breathing, heartbeat, etc. keep functioning.

As to why she's still alive--well, these kids can survive for quite a while if they don't die of some infection.

If she is from a poor rural area, there probably just wasn't any help available, or her parents couldn't afford it. Putting in a shunt now would relieve the pressure, but she would not regain the mental capacity she's already lost.

Well Roona has been examined by several doctors today .They found infection inside her head and have started treating that. Once the infection is under control. they are planning to do an initial treatment which will be the first step towards reducing the size of her head .

God bless her. I just can't see how she is going to survive this.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

I think at this point there's not any positive options. I hope they can ease her on and she gets a better shot in her next incarnation. Poor little baby.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Attachment 46303 they start draining the fluid tomorrow.

Nelliebean Guest
    Good!

Roona update

Message from the hospital where Roona Begum is being treated:
    ??Baby Roona one and a half year old girl is admitted in FMRI with a massive hydrocephalus. The child is thriving well. She is on calorie dense feeds being given at appropriate rate and intervals to support her nutritional requirements. Her head circumference has considerably decreased from 94 cm to a 74 cm through continuous fluid drainage. Pressure bandages are being applied to remodel the shape of her head. She had come to the hospital with severe skin infection due to her frail, thinned out skin. Appropriate antibiotics are being given to cover the causative organisms. Infection still of remains a major cause of concern.

Great news on Roona. Her head size has drastically reduced and they have managed to fit a shunt .Fantastic.

Oh that IS great news indeed. Hopefully now she will have a fighting chance to live her life. If her luck keeps running she will do just fine.

Nelliebean Guest

Nellie her head is much smaller now thankfully .I will try to post an updated pic later .

Attachment 46745As you can see ,her head is now over a third less than it was and that's just from draining into a plastic bag. She now has a shunt fitted which moves the fluid from her brain to her abdomen where it is reabsorbed back into her system .She will need a lot of physiotherapy and her head needs reshaping ,but the doctors are amazed at how well she is doing up to now and are hopeful she will lead some sort of life once her neck is strengthened and she can begin to crawl.

I'm probably going to hell for this. Has anyone seen the Rubber Johnny videos? It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq3J...e_gdata_player

I don't think you will get hell for this as we all know - if you don't like a comment you have to scroll past .But yeah ,I see what you are saying .Had never seen it before though.

Nelliebean Guest
    Thanks, Arty!

Last edited by neilmpenny; 05-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I thought they were Tyra Banks baby pictures.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I thought they were Tyra Banks baby pictures.
    Bwahaha!

Seagorath Guest
    Sad...make her better, doctors.

oh wow I'm so glad she's doing better. the before picture makes me a bit sick I'm sorry to say.
    like I'm scared someone will poke her with a pin and she'll make like a water balloon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roona Improving

Attachment 47242Attachment 4724220th June 2013 ?? Baby Roona is progressing well and is stable. Treating surgeon, Dr Sandeep Vaishya, FMRI, said, ??Given the complexities of the case, the prognosis is much better than expected and Baby Roona is responding well to the treatment protocol. She is reacting to stimuli and showing signs of cognition. A third remodeling of her skull bones is planned in the coming fortnight, and our team is making preparations. This may well be the last of a series required in the current phase.?

Roona Home At Last !!!

Roona has one last operation to undergo , then the doctors are hoping she will lead as near as normal a life as possible. There are still funds left for her future care .But she is home with her parents and doing well .Great news.
    Last edited by artymorty; 08-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Wow! That does almost look photoshopped because you wouldn't think that could be possible! Poor thing. It looks like she's getting some help though. Have you noticed that it's always India that has the bizaare physical conditions like conjoined twins, kids with eight arms, that sort of thing?
    Last edited by Domino; 08-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, the baby with 2 faces , the boy born with his twins legs protruding from his belly ..... really weird stuff.

Artymorty, I googled the first sentence of your post #41, and found your info word for word on another site. You are in violation of Rule 7, extreme copying and pasting. The rule of thumb is to post a blurb and a link to the entire article. Edit it down and add the link to prevent infraction.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy I hope I have stopped infracting now

Cindy I hope I have stopped infracting now
    That, you have. Thanks!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Little update .She is doing great .Compare the pic from today 's daily mail .

Bidmor Guest
    God bless, little one. Good news on this Christmas Day. Thanks, arty.

Nelliebean Guest
    Little update .She is doing great .Compare the pic from today 's daily mail .

Wow!

Awesome! God bless her little heart!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD