Thread: Bonnie Franklin

Bonnie Franklin

NEW YORK (AP) â?? Bonnie Franklin, the pert, redheaded actress who won fame as a divorced mom on the long-running sitcom "One Day at a Time," has died.
    Family member say she died Friday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. She was 69.
    Her family had announced she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September 2012.
    Though she already had stage and TV credits, "One Day at a Time" made her a star with its premiere in 1975. She played a divorced single mother raising two teenage girls, costars Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips.
    The series ran on CBS for nine seasons, spending most of them as a Top 20 hit.
    Franklin's recent credits include appearances on "The Young and the Restless" and the TV Land comedy "Hot in Cleveland," which reunited her with Bertinelli, one of that show's regulars.
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/bonnie-fran...271.html?_sr=1

IrishBabe Guest
    Well, that's depressing. All of my childhood TV icons are dying all at once. :'(

Awwww. RIP Bonnie and your bowl cut.

R.I.P. Bonnie.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

R.I.P., M-ez Romano.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

This is it. This is life-the one you get-so go and have a ball.

RIP Bonnie.

Crap. So sad.

I don't know why, but this one really bummed me out....probably because she's so close in age to my mom. I didn't watch this show a lot, but I caught eps here and there.
    RIP
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

I so enjoyed that sitcom she was on.
    One day at a Time. (1975-1984)

So loved how one of the daughters on
    the show loved the music of Elton John.
    (just like me)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RIP Ms. Franklin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Just last year she appeared on The Young and The Restless in a short term role as a nun who helped a injured Victor Newman who had amnesia, she didn't have to wear a habit for the role. she had scenes with Eric Breaden and Genie Francis who was at the time appearing on the show as Genevieve. I heard she remained close with Valerie Bertinelli. RIP Bonnie.

jlovescoffee Guest
    Damned cancer RIP Bonnie.

my family hated this show, but I loved it. rest in peace, bonnie
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Always had the hots for bonnie. To the point where I went after a girl at school that could have been her twin. And yes I did......many-a-time to my Bobbie Franklin look a like.

RIP Bonnnie.....you left us too young and you will be missed.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Awwww. RIP Bonnie and your bowl cut.
    OMG - she did so rock that bowl cut...

I LOVED that show... Of course me being me, when I was young I always wondered WHY her daughters looked NOTHING like her...
    My Posse's On Broadway

I remember her in a few episodes in the original "Gidget" tv show.

Loved ya Ms. Romano...I know where ever Schneider Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MV5BMTQ1ODQzODg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI4NjM0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	45714is right now, he is sad also.
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Awww... that's so sad. Another one gone from my childhood, too. *sniff* Pancreatic cancer is a bitch. RIP Bonnie.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

She was in the Munsters episode where Herman is stolen by frat-boy pranksters in his sleep (don't ask for the details, you have to see the episode to believe the zany plot) and wakes up in a girl's dorm, she was one of the dorm's residents and had a few lines. ODAAT struck a chord with a lot of people: their apartment wasn't huge, it looked real. Same thing with the apartment on Alice, it was small and modest - which is what you'd expect for a waitress who worked for a cheapskate. I read a brief article during the heyday of Friends, what an apartment like Monica's would cost .. and none of those characters could afford to live in an apartment that size in the real NYC. Anyway, on ODAAT everyone had a crush on Barbara, but everyone identified with Julie, who was probably the one of first teenage girls on TV that wasn't asexual and docile. Sleep tight, Ms. Romano.

lisalouver Guest
    Always liked the show.

Hope Bonnie didnt suffer too much. Pancreatic cancer is a fast one usually.

Not that it matters, but I wonder who her "family" is.

She was divorced from her first husband, second husband died in 2009, and she had no children. At her age, he parents must be dead. I suppose it could be siblings? Just curious.

RIP Mzzzz Romano

RIP Bonnie.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    She was in the Munsters episode where Herman is stolen by frat-boy pranksters in his sleep (don't ask for the details, you have to see the episode to believe the zany plot) and wakes up in a girl's dorm, she was one of the dorm's residents and had a few lines. ODAAT struck a chord with a lot of people: their apartment wasn't huge, it looked real. Same thing with the apartment on Alice, it was small and modest - which is what you'd expect for a waitress who worked for a cheapskate. I read a brief article during the heyday of Friends, what an apartment like Monica's would cost .. and none of those characters could afford to live in an apartment that size in the real NYC. Anyway, on ODAAT everyone had a crush on Barbara, but everyone identified with Julie, who was probably the one of first teenage girls on TV that wasn't asexual and docile. Sleep tight, Ms. Romano.
    She did appear as a teenager in several episodes of "Gidget" with Sally Field. Funny to see these actors and actresses when they were teens. Rest in peace, Bonnie.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Mammy Guest
    I don't remember hearing that she had been ill. Usually we hear about celebs when they have serious health problems before they die. Maybe I just missed it.

phirerednga Guest
    RIP Ms Franklin

S ODAAT struck a chord with a lot of people: their apartment wasn't huge, it looked real. Same thing with the apartment on Alice, it was small and modest - which is what you'd expect for a waitress who worked for a cheapskate. I read a brief article during the heyday of Friends, what an apartment like Monica's would cost .. and none of those characters could afford to live in an apartment that size in the real NYC.
    I can remember a similar article that appeared I think in TV Guide back in the early 90's with Married..With Children. Let's see...two kids, a wife who didn't work and the husband's only income came from selling shoes in a mall...yet they had a house in a nice neighborhood in Chicago ?? At least with Roseanne, between the average jobs Dan & Rosey had during the years the show aired ( not counting of course the last season ) the Conner house would be about what one would had expected..average.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I don't remember hearing that she had been ill. Usually we hear about celebs when they have serious health problems before they die. Maybe I just missed it.
    I don't remember either and when I got the deathbeeper I was like GOSH!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    I definitely was surprised to read about her dying. She was younger than I thought she was.

Patience54 Guest
    I saw Bonnie Franklin in Applause in the 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89DzMDC6gws

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Patience54 View Post
    I saw Bonnie Franklin in Applause in the 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89DzMDC6gws

RIP
    Me too, 1972 (Freshman class trip), with Anne Baxter as Margo. Can't remember her "Eve" (lost that Playbill decades ago. Was not Penny Fuller, pretty sure about that. http://ibdb.com/production.php?id=3519 ) Bonnie was not playing a main character, could not figure out exactly HOW her role related to the story, but who cares, she totally stole the show with two big numbers. I was so disappointed she did not appear in the TV adaptation in 1973 (included Lauren Bacall and Penny Fuller, the original Margo & Eve, with Larry Hagman as the man they compete for, along with the big stage-acting career.

What is it that we're living for
    Applause, applause
    Nothing I know brings on the glow
    Like sweet applause
    You're thinking you're through
    That nobody cares
    Then suddenly you hear it starting
    And somehow you're in charge again
    And life's a ball
    Trumpets all sing, life seems to swing
    And you're the king of it all 'cause
    You've had a taste of
    The sound that says love
    Applause, applause, applause!--- Lee Adams
    Last edited by Linnie; 03-01-2013 at 09:55 PM.

OMG I must see that episode of the Munsters. I loved ODAAT but I identified more with Barbara because I was so young, but Julie definitely reminded me of some friends older sisters who seemed so cool. I remember my friend had a huge crush on the kid who was on there later... Alex?? I can't remember his name. Glen Scarpelli was his real name I believe. I don't even remember why he was there but I liked the episodes with him. And that was probably the last time I didn't hate casting a new young and/or cute person to draw in younger viewers (Sam on Diff. Strokes I'm looking at you).

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Always liked the show.

Hope Bonnie didnt suffer too much. Pancreatic cancer is a fast one usually.

Not that it matters, but I wonder who her "family" is.

She was divorced from her first husband, second husband died in 2009, and she had no children. At her age, he parents must be dead. I suppose it could be siblings? Just curious.

RIP Mzzzz Romano
    Listening to MyTalk 107 today they said her parents or at least her mother did outlive her. She must be close to 90 year old though! I didn't hear anything about siblings but I didn't hear the whole segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    Loved ya Ms. Romano...I know where ever Schneider Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MV5BMTQ1ODQzODg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI4NjM0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg 
    One of the statements released was that Valerie and Pat at least (I think Mackenzie had a separate statement) were very sad about the death and they loved her very much. I guess she was very close with her TV family. Maybe because like Lisa mentioned she didn't have many of her own family.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 03-02-2013 at 01:07 AM.

This death actually surprised me. I had no idea she was ill though, admittedly, I wasn't checking for Bonnie Franklin news on the regular. I just watched my Gidget DVDs the other day and, yep, she's on at least two episodes (along with Barbara Hershey). I never did get the allure of One Day at a Time. I was young when it came on and I could never get past how Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli were suppose to be related to each other let alone to Bonnie Franklin.

RIP Bonnie. Here's to rockin' your Dorothy Hamill bowl cut in heaven.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Elizabeth Guest
    As much as I thought Bonnie Franklin was a "chew the scenery" kind of actress, I must admit I did like ODAAT, and feel sorry for her passing....I just keep wondering, how long before more of my personal favorites go???

Well I feel like a bad hag. I do remember reading last year about her having pancreatic cancer and I didn't post anything!!! As I recall, there was another thread (sorry, can't remember which one) where we were laughing at her hair, the show, etc. It never occurred to me to post about her illness. Sorry, guys!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    Well I feel like a bad hag. I do remember reading last year about her having pancreatic cancer and I didn't post anything!!! As I recall, there was another thread (sorry, can't remember which one) where we were laughing at her hair, the show, etc. It never occurred to me to post about her illness. Sorry, guys!!!
    Yeah I was thinking of that thread too. Its in entertainment. Just titled "Bonnie Franklin". We were discussing her fairly recently but I'm not sure if anyone posted about her cancer. I don't remember hearing about it at all.

Yeah, it was posted on the last page of the thread. Then the thread died down. (no pun intended)

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...onnie+franklin

Here's the thead if anyone wants to read it. I hate to disrespect the dead but I did laugh at the post about Bonnie swinging her taters on every show.

Enjoyed Bonnie on Y&R. RIP Ms. Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post

I loved that show, but thought it was
    always kind of creepy how Schneider
    had a key to there Apt.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Wow.
    R.I.P. Bonnie.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Kinda curious...Is the city of Indianapolis doing something for Bonnie Franklin ?? Hey the show "One Day at a Time" used that city as a background and some even today believe that the show was taped there in Indy at WISH-TV 8 even though in reality it was California.

42. 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM

She was only 31 when One Day At A Time debuted.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Tiger Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	45728R.I.P. Bonnie

cameralady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jlovescoffee View Post
    Damned cancer RIP Bonnie.
    Not just any cancer. Pancreatic cancer, which seems to take someone out almost every time.

Wendy A. Guest
    I've heard its a very painful cancer to die from. Poor gal! RIP Bonnie.

Sad days for fans of 1970s "progressive" sitcoms with the new news about Valerie Harper....Doesn't even seem like a normal progression of aging and death, since both of these ladies had enjoyed relatively busy, healthy lives until these totally final cancers seemingly blindsided them.

malevolent_mary Guest
    I wish they would show One Day At a Time on TV again. Great show! We miss you, Bonnie.

Loved ODAAT, and really enjoyed seeing her on Y and R. RIP Bonnie!

Darrianne Guest
    I will admit that I loved this show - I was about 12 or 13 when it aired. I wanted to BE Barbara When I watched re-runs in later years, I admit it was cheesy and overly dramatic at times but I loved it.