Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amelia Earhart

pvezz Guest

Amelia Earhart

You guys knew SOMEONE would bring it up! What the hell happened???

I think she either got shot down or ran out of gas.

lulu Guest
    I hear they're making a movie about her life. Hilary Swank is playing her.

I think she just got disorientated and went down in the Pacific.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I hear they're making a movie about her life. Hilary Swank is playing her.
    Cool! I didn't hear that. I love Hilary - thought she was great in that Karate kid Movie, Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby (about the only movies I liked her in!).

But she oughta be good as Amelia.

Anyone ever see the Unsolved Mysteries show they did about Amelia and how possible she was taken prisoner of the Japanese on that island?

Personally I think she probably ran out of gas and her plane went into the drink and is down there at the bottom somewhere.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Cool! I didn't hear that. I love Hilary - thought she was great in that Karate kid Movie, Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby (about the only movies I liked her in!).

Anyone ever see the Unsolved Mysteries show they did about Amelia and how possible she was taken prisoner of the Japanese on that island?

Personally I think she probably ran out of gas and her plane went into the drink and is down there at the bottom somewhere.
    I can't decide if I believe the Japanese took her, or she drowned. Brave woman at any rate.

Hilary rocked in "Boys Don't Cry"

mike Guest
    Some said that she went down the Bermuda Triangle,A school teacher taught us that her plane landed in New Guinea and the native ate her (because They were known for eating people

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    You guys knew SOMEONE would bring it up! What the hell happened???
    last I heard they were doing an intense investigation and re-living her trip and possible last days. Looking for bone fragments on the island near where she disappeared. She was a very brave important woman and had some great quotes!!

Check Em Out

this one is ironic.

"[Women] must pay for everything.... They do get more glory than men for comparable feats. But, also, women get more notoriety when they crash."
    Last edited by Jason; 10-18-2007 at 08:40 AM.

onehunglow Guest
    Got lost and went into the drink. I've been over the Pacific many times and I can see how if she was a few miles off, she would have missed that tiny spot. Like trying to find a pinhead in a football field.

mommafreak Guest
    If they can find the titanic, and all the bomber planes from wars, can they not find her plane? I know the earth is covered in 70% of water, so it should be no problem.... I've always had her in the back of my mind, always, very courageous.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    last i heard, they had found some remains on a island, and were trying to prove if they were hers.

she was a brave lady, and her mysterious disappearance only added fuel to the fire for her. she is now a legend, and deserves the status.

Rumors around that she was a lesbian - anyone else heard anything about that?

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    yea, i have heard that several times. also heard lizzie borden was one too. i seen a pic of amelia with some chick, and they said that she was her lover.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    whooo...there are some homely ladies in this group!!!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Amelia Earhart was one of my childhood heroines. The group mentioned above is called TIGAR (can't remember what it stands for). There is a fascinating book outlining their work called Amelia Earhart's Shoes that details their findings:

http://books.google.com/books?id=WVwaBEShoZIC&dq=amelia+earhart%27s+shoes

They also discuss the possibility that she was captured by the Japanese.

Hre husband was several years older than her and it didn't sound like they had the closest relationship. In fact, he sounded like a real prick who wanted to capitalize on her achievements. I hope she was playing for the other team and had a happy relationship with her partner.

From what I understand someone with a shortwave radio heard her voice
    on a pacific ocean island. But I may be wrong.

Her husband, George Putnam used to call her ugly. That's why she smiled with her mouth closed. He said her teeth were horse-like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Nik Guest
    Ah, Amelia was one of my first Death Hag experiences! I did a report on her in second grade and found the information completely fascinating. I hope one day we'll figure it out.... I do remember reading reports of seeing her in a cafe and then she was gone.... can't remember much about it.

different kind of girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    From what I understand someone with a shortwave radio heard her voice
    on a pacific ocean island. But I may be wrong.

I remember seeing that on a tv special they did. I think she crashed in the water somewhere. Maybe they'll find that wreckage one day, hope so.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Remember game shows in the 70s always gave away "Amelia Earhardt Luggage." Count me out of that, she went down!

I always liked the theory that she was a secret spy for FDR and this was all a ruse to give him an excuse to put a load of battle ships and Navy into the Pacific.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Christie Prody, I must ask... Are you the Christie Prody of OJ Simpson fame?
    Are you the same? Are you his girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I have the feeling it's just someone using the name for this board.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I have the feeling it's just someone using the name for this board.
    Ah, ok, thanks Aries.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I'm not the real Christie Prody, but she is quickly becoming my new favorite celebrity, hence, the user name. Don't you love it? If she continues to date OJ, she might even end up on this site, who knows. But as a friend of OJ's always says, "OJ really loved Nicole. He doesn't care enough about Christie to kill her."

You gotta love a gal who looks like Nicole (well, used to, Christie has not aged well), dates OJ, and drinks and does drugs with him and gets into violent arguments and sells trashy OJ stories to the rags when they break up. The gal has guts!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I'm not the real Christie Prody, but she is quickly becoming my new favorite celebrity, hence, the user name. Don't you love it? If she continues to date OJ, she might even end up on this site, who knows. But as a friend of OJ's always says, "OJ really loved Nicole. He doesn't care enough about Christie to kill her."

You gotta love a gal who looks like Nicole (well, used to, Christie has not aged well), dates OJ, and drinks and does drugs with him and gets into violent arguments and sells trashy OJ stories to the rags when they break up. The gal has guts!
    Spoken like a true death hag!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Spoken like a true death hag!
    Catch this, she has her own website, or her mother does, I can't tell. Doesn't Christie know not to even let OJ THINK she's screwing the gardner???? The woman shocks and amazes me!

http://www.christineprody.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    whooo...there are some homely ladies in this group!!!
    You will cherish the day you realise true beauty is in on the inside.

That's just something I did not always know.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post

Yeah, like ABC sang "When you judge a book by it's cover - you judge the look by the lover..."

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post

oh i know thats the truth, but come on, looks are a fact of life. if u live in a dream world where everyone is given a chance at love from the start, then kudos to u my friend. i aint no clark gable or james dean myself, but my wife is beauty, and i reckon maybe she seen my "inside beauty". at least i hope so!! LOL! naw, i just find alot b&w photos to make people look quite funny. trust me, there is one of me out there from my baseball days where i look like a complete idiot!! why they had to do a "vintage" photo i will never know!! but looking at the pic, how many physically beautiful women do u see??

knothere Guest
    i think it was a conspiracy sumhow no im not into conspiracys n im not paranoid lol
    did her husband ever talk about her to the media wasn't there a letter of mystery that he recieved n never showed anyone
    i think it was war related n she was used a propaganda n the japanese have/had her as pow or she died in a jungle off the map
    because if she drown then they wooda found the plane by now n not her remains

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    oh i know thats the truth, but come on, looks are a fact of life. if u live in a dream world where everyone is given a chance at love from the start, then kudos to u my friend. i aint no clark gable or james dean myself, but my wife is beauty, and i reckon maybe she seen my "inside beauty". at least i hope so!! LOL! naw, i just find alot b&w photos to make people look quite funny. trust me, there is one of me out there from my baseball days where i look like a complete idiot!! why they had to do a "vintage" photo i will never know!! but looking at the pic, how many physically beautiful women do u see??
    I knew you were only kidding. You should see some photos of me, or maybe not.

..actually Amelia Earhardt is alive and well
    and living in Denver.

http://www.9news.com/company/bios/ar...?storyid=71877

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    i'd like to see hilary swank play her, and i always thought amelia was a lesbian, but i know she was married so i thought she was just boy/man ish

Bellfire Guest
    I heard she was downed and captured by the Japaneese.

Actually, I thought the woman second from the right was very attractive, and the one in the middle in the light-colored dress standing next to AE could be- hard to tell because she's obviously squinting into the sun. Ca'nt see one woman's face _at all_, so who's to say about her?

My sister is a big Amelia fan; i should ask her what her latest thought is. Her thought a few years back was that they got disoriented over the Pacific (and their stop was a friggin' needle in a haystack of an island!) and went down in deep water.

Irishlass Guest

I worked with a man who was from saipan, he said he grew up hearing stories from his Grandfather who claimed he saw AE on the island after she disappeared.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    ..actually Amelia Earhardt is alive and well
    and living in Denver.

http://www.9news.com/company/bios/ar...?storyid=71877

LOL! So she is!

39. 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Tombstone Tourist Guest

OJ Simpson and inner beauty aside .....

On one of the cable channels there was a great update regarding research geeks, antique radio experts, and treasure hunters that teamed up to use existing technology to figure out what happen.

In part I, she flew about 200 miles north of her target. Because of storms and headwinds, they used up alot of fuel and begin using a stairstep seach pattern trying to find the island before the fuel ran out. They downed the plane about 50 miles from the island in a very deep part of the ocean.

Part II, which airs in Decemeber I believe discusses how they found the location. My guess is they are going to milk this find for a year before we know the condition of the plane - much like the Titanic.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    On one of the cable channels there was a great update regarding research geeks, antique radio experts, and treasure hunters that teamed up to use existing technology to figure out what happen.

In part I, she flew about 200 miles north of her target. Because of storms and headwinds, they used up alot of fuel and begin using a stairstep seach pattern trying to find the island before the fuel ran out. They downed the plane about 50 miles from the island in a very deep part of the ocean.

Part II, which airs in Decemeber I believe discusses how they found the location. My guess is they are going to milk this find for a year before we know the condition of the plane - much like the Titanic.
    Thank you so much for sharing this information! I am very much interested in seeing Part II in December. Would you happen to remember which channel it was on?

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this information! I am very much interested in seeing Part II in December. Would you happen to remember which channel it was on?
    The program was called The Search for Amelia Earhart and they believe the plane is on the bottom of the Pacific. However that show was produced in 2003 so that begs the question did they find her yet. I also saw that both NAIA and TIGHAR have teamed up and are searching the outside of the island for the plane.

Either way both groups are negotiating with the island nation for rights to the findings. That is what is probably holding things up right now.

BabyDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JayneFan View Post
    I wish they would find out what really happened to her. But as time passes on, the less likely we'll ever find out.
    If they were able to find Antoine de Saint Exupéry they'll find Amelia as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine...t-Exup%C3%A9ry

onehunglow Guest

Amelia Earhart

http://www.ninety-nines.org/earhart.html

I think she went in the drink after being lost.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq3-1.htm

From above link

On July 2, 1937 at 0000 GMT, Earhart and Noonan took off from Lae. Their intended destination was Howland Island, a tiny piece of land a few miles long, 20 feet high, and 2, 556 miles away. Their last positive position report and sighting were over the Nukumanu Islands, about 800 miles into the flight. The U.S. Coast Guard cutter USCGC Itasca was on station near Howland, assigned on short notice to communicate with Earhart's plane and guide her to the island once she arrived in the vicinity.

Kathyf Guest
    All the things I have read about her I never knew she was from Chicago.

onehunglow Guest
    Having been across that ocean a number of times, that was insane. To try and be that close with 2500+ miles to cover and hit a 3 mile little pile of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Having been across that ocean a number of times, that was insane. To try and be that close with 2500+ miles to cover and hit a 3 mile little pile of rocks.
    After reading the biography of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith I have no doubt she ended up in the drink.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

onehunglow Guest

Update! The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) completed its 2007 expedition to the island of Nikumaroro on 6 August. The research team reportedly found additional evidence suggestive of a castaway including parts of a zipper and snap, pieces of mirror like that found in a woman's compact, and a broken pocket knife of American manufacture. While the new findings are reportedly consistent with the 1930s, none of the items can yet be conclusively connected to Amelia Earhart. Further information may become available as the experidition's evidence is studied.
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 05-26-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    pull the string!

lisalouver Guest
    I've read a lot about Earhart on that Tighar site.

Here is the link

http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html

tarsier Guest
    Is she dead?
    sorry, i had to ask.