Thread: Father requested no black nurses for care of baby

Father requested no black nurses for care of baby

From my neck of the woods -

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...ws-health.html

And i don't know what to think.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

sunshine74137 Guest
    I betcha if he was bleeding from the jugular and the only assistance around was a black nurse he'd change his tune

JudyAnn Guest
    What the...what? I'm ashamed! I can't believe the hospital would comply with the father's request.

In fact, were I to be in charge (and I am white), I'd assemble an all African American/black care team and with such team present, I'd publicly introduce my care staff to the father. He could then choose another hospital for the baby's care, or choose never to visit his sick newborn. I'd also also alert social services to the flag/watch the family.

You do not get to pick and choose your medical staff when you or a loved one are hospitalized.

He said what?????? Wow. Some "people" just leave me speechless. Asshole.

Scotti Guest
    i don't agree with it, but it is his choice. to be honest i don't care who treats me as long as they are qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
    i don't agree with it, but it is his choice. to be honest i don't care who treats me as long as they are qualified.
    I agree with you. He's definitely an asshole and I think its wrong to say that but some people are assholes. Honestly if I was one of the black nurses I would not want to deal with that guy anyway, there are so many things that could go wrong. He could complain about something fabricated, even get violent. I would rather treat other patients.

What an incredible asshole

RebelRocker Guest
    i think the lawsuit is stupid. patients can make requests and have their requests granted. yes what happened was very upsetting. if i was that nurse i wouldnt want to take care of the child because it would give the guy any reason to sue if something went wrong. the dude was being an asshole and i cant believe these kind of assholes still exist but they do.

Of course she is suing.

Yeah, the suing is ridiculous. I hope they throw it out. Is there anything people can't sue for now? She still worked its not like they sent her home and docked her pay. They reassigned her. The guy is a dick. To be honest I am kind of surprised that this is illegal, because like I said it's not like she was not allowed to work at all. Sorry I hate to sound like I am on this guys side, which I am not, but seriously. These lawsuits are getting out of hand. One of the pit bosses at work didn't like my perfume (which was light and completely within our rules) so he put me on a different rotation of tables, which he is well known for doing to many people. It's stupid and immature and he's a dick but it's his prerogative. Should I sue for that? Actually it's well known that he puts the male or black or Native American females in his section of dealers. Doesn't make me want to sue just makes me think he's a fucking moron.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 02-20-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Scotti Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I agree with you. He's definitely an asshole and I think its wrong to say that but some people are assholes. Honestly if I was one of the black nurses I would not want to deal with that guy anyway, there are so many things that could go wrong. He could complain about something fabricated, even get violent. I would rather treat other patients.
    yes i believe everybody has a right to be an asshole. and everybody has a right not to deal with assholes

The guy was an ass for requesting this no doubt maybe he and his wife shouldve chose a hospital in a city other than Flint if they didnt want a black nurse touching their baby. He was well within his rights to request this but if the hospital complied with this request by not allowing black nurses to interact with the baby that is definitely discrimination and grounds for a lawsuit.
    Im sure there is more to the story though. Why is only this one nurse suing and not any others as individuals or as a group. Has Tonya Battle had any prior complaints or disciplinary issues with the hospital? Are there any external financial or lifestyle issues on the complainants behalf that might influence her to file this lawsuit? I cant imagine a hospital in a city that is majority black would comply with this request. Stranger things have happened though.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

This type of stupidity isn't a criminal act. So, it belongs in EE with other news stories of this type. Moving in 5,4,3,2...

the guy is just a jerk. I once had the care of such a jerk....an alcoholic ...and we were giving blood.
    he wanted to know who gave it.
    I said, I have no idea.
    he wanted to know if the person WAS BLACK.
    jerk
    I should have said it was dog blood....better yet pig blood.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Bayou Queen Guest
    I cannot believe the hospital caved into this guy. Maybe he was intimidating and they were afraid of him, so many people these days get their crazy on, you don't know if someone is going to come back with a gun.

They should have told him to hire an R/N of his choice and pay out of pocket for the care of his child, which I am sure with 24/7 care for a month would have cost him a small fortune. You want to be a racist, well open your wallet cause it's going to cost you.

Saddletramp Guest
    You can't fix stupid. I'm sure he goes home and fondles his little white weeine. A sixth grade education, and a pickup truck with huge tires is all he needs to get by in his world.

What the shit? Don't lump me in with this loser.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Forever-27 Guest
    There's no law about being a racist. Its not illegal to not like black people. But this does show the guys lack of smarts. Honestly, there's bad people in both white and black skin. I'm sure the hospital caved in because they feared a lawsuit would be in the wings if they didn't.

I've read a few message boards in regards to this story- there are a lot of nurses writing in to say that this is non-news. Apparently it happens a lot- with all races. They probably gave in so he wouldn't create a scene and disturb the recovering patients and the babies.

The lawsuit should be dropped and the father should be able to crawl back under the rock he crawled out from under....too bad his kid is going to be raised to be an ignorant asshole too.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I had no idea that accommodating nazidad's request was illegal. I thought the whole situation fell under the "stupid but not illegal" flag. I don't think that nurse should sue, though. I personally would not want to be caring for a baby if the baby's parent didn't want me there.

I remember about 20 years ago a couple I was friendly with was getting married at the West Point chapel. The female half of the couple requested a white chaplain because she "was concerned about how the pictures would look" There was only one African American chaplain stationed there at the time, and guess who ended up marrying them??? The pictures looked just fine, by the way.

Carrie Guest
    Yeah, he's an asshole, but he's a paying (or his insurance is) asshole....the hospital is a business and sometimes a business must concede to assholes in order to keep their doors open.

I have a cousin who was an exterminator and as late as the mid-1980's they were asked by some customers not to send black men.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

I used to work dispatch for a big cable company and would often get customers that didn't want a black or Hispanic tech to come out. It wasn't on the books of course, but we would try and comply for the safety of the technicians. I even had a few black folks ask that no black people get sent out. Anyone coming into my home that I don't know is being watched regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    There's no law about being a racist. Its not illegal to not like black people. But this does show the guys lack of smarts. Honestly, there's bad people in both white and black skin. I'm sure the hospital caved in because they feared a lawsuit would be in the wings if they didn't.
    There are plenty of laws against racism. Try making a racist or sexist remark at a work meeting and see what happens.

The laws against racism only cover forms of assault, threats, discrimination, and things of an infringing nature. A person is untitled to not only feel whatever they choose but can express it to a certain limit. I think this idiots in the clear from a legal stand point. The hospital will likely be held responsible for discrimination.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

I don't see where the hospital will get in trouble. They didn't fire the nurses or prevent them for working- they just transferred them to a different area to keep the peace. It was probably in their safety to do so.

Can you imagine the lawsuit filed if the hospital insisted that the nurses stay where they are and the father took a swing at one of them?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    There are plenty of laws against racism. Try making a racist or sexist remark at a work meeting and see what happens.
    I second this, as an employee of Uncle Sam's. Open verbal/written expression of certain intolerances can end one's career, at least where I work. One of my colleagues is fighting to keep his job, after a Chik-Fil-A related "incident" (aftermath of the gay/anti-gay firestorm set off essentially by what organizations Chik-Fil-A's CEO supports). Long story and stupid situation that got blown way out of proportion, much like this one.

I didn't realize this guy's request for a non-black nurse was legally protected, simply because I figured emergency care providers & first responders (hospitals, law enforcement, etc.) wouldn't be constricted by such considerations when lives are potentially endangered (both of those in need, and those serving/responding). But it makes sense that the whole picture can contribute to everyone's safety. Guess it's just disappointing, in the end.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I'm from the deep South, Georgia, that is. And I personally don't give a pickled fuck if a person is polka dot as long as I receive the correct medical treatment and my Internet connection is restored. Yeah, we all have choices, including that fucktard.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I don't see where the hospital will get in trouble. They didn't fire the nurses or prevent them for working- they just transferred them to a different area to keep the peace. It was probably in their safety to do so.

Can you imagine the lawsuit filed if the hospital insisted that the nurses stay where they are and the father took a swing at one of them?
    That's exactly what I was saying. But the article said a law had been broken. I am confused by that.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    That's exactly what I was saying. But the article said a law had been broken. I am confused by that.
    II. What Discriminatory Practices Are Prohibited by These Laws? Under Title VII, the ADA, GINA, and the ADEA, it is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including:
    • hiring and firing;
    • compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;
    • transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;
    • job advertisements;
    • recruitment;
    • testing;
    • use of company facilities;
    • training and apprenticeship programs;
    • fringe benefits;
    • pay, retirement plans, and disability leave; or
    • other terms and conditions of employment.
    If I had to guess this is what they are talking about. In all of the HR training I've ever had, I've basically been told that any decision I make that effects my co-workers that is based on age, race, sex, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, or gender identity is a violation. Unfortunately that applies to decisions that are made with good intentions as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Update:

The suit has been settled:
    http://www.wnem.com/story/21309783/h...n-race-lawsuit
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain