Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo

djdeath-hag Guest

Terri Schiavo

This is my first originating thread....but thought I'd toss this "local" name out there. I know that her story made national, if not international news. Does anyone have any feelings about the battle that dragged out while she lived in a semi-vegetative state for far too long?

My personal feelings are that her parents were being selfish to want to keep her around....and that this should be a WAKE UP call to everyone who doesn't have a Living Will.

I have a very dear friend who works in the hospice where Terri died. She assured me that Terri was non-responsive.....and her eventual medical death was without pain or struggle.

I've visited her grave...her cremains are very near those of a friend of mine. Her grave can be viewed on FindaGrave:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=10708617

Does anyone else here have any feelings about this?

shellileigh Guest
    That's why I have told my brother, my husband, and my best friend. If I ain't there, don't keep me around.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:49 AM.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Poor Michael was so demonized in the press by her family.....he never once spoke out publicly about "the fight" but he wrote a very touching & telling book AFTER Terri died. Her parents were the ones who pushed him back into the dating world, where he met & had kids with the woman that he married AFTER Terri died. I think that he got his turn by having the final say on her remains....and especially his wording on her tombstone.

Jack Raines Guest
    I know I'm in the minority, but I would want them to keep me alive as long as possible, in that situation (God forbid). I always thought her husband seemed like a scumbag, and I heard he abused her and might have even caused the coma to begin with. I don't see where it hurt anything to keep her on the machines if it gave her parents comfort of the possibility she might one day regain consciousness, because they loved her and wanted her back.

And her husband seemed to have already moved on with his life anyway. It was just a sad case all the way around.

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I would want them to keep me alive as long as possible, in that situation (God forbid). I always thought her husband seemed like a scumbag, and I heard he abused her and might have even caused the coma to begin with. I don't see where it hurt anything to keep her on the machines if it gave her parents comfort of the possibility she might one day regain consciousness, because they loved her and wanted her back.

And her husband seemed to have already moved on with his life anyway. It was just a sad case all the way around.
    i agree w/ you, it was all so sad & i thought when you marry, it's in sickness & health, til death us do part~ terry's husband had already moved on with his life before her passing, he fathered children even~ that is so disrepectful to me~

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I always thought her husband seemed like a scumbag, and I heard he abused her and might have even caused the coma to begin with. I don't see where it hurt anything to keep her on the machines if it gave her parents comfort of the possibility she might one day regain consciousness, because they loved her and wanted her back.
    He had nothing to do with her coma. There was a website up, raking him over the coals. It was all talk and nothing factual.

And it did hurt. It prolonged their own grief. It took up a room and equipment some person with a chance could have used.

If I have no quality of life and I'm unable to live my life as I normally do, and there's NO chance of me ever recovering to my normal self - pull the plug. Why lay there like a vegetable, wasting people's time and lives - and my own?

It amazes me that people won't hesistate to put down a sick pet - but god forbid, let's keep our terminally ill people alive as long as we can so the hospitals can keep lining their pockets with the money being pumped in to sustain them!

The plug on Terry should had been pulled a LONG time ago. They kept her alive way TOO long.

She wasn't there anymore...it was time for her to go. Plus, that was nobody's business but theirs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    My personal feelings are that her parents were being selfish to want to keep her around....and that this should be a WAKE UP call to everyone who doesn't have a Living Will.
    Yeah, my husband and I talked about that when this came out, we really do need to create a Living Will...that being said, I know that no one on my side of the family would drag it out if I were in a PVS. I would have thought my husband's family would, though...they were all in favour of Terry Schiavo's parents and such, but then a few months after that whole ordeal, when my mother-in-law went into a coma after suffering a heart attack three days after starting to recover from heart surgery, my father-in-law pulled the plug without any hesitation...he knew she was gone. So who knows what families will do?

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]If that was my only option for life well, you can point me toward the light...there are better places to exist. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]That said, I had my reservations about her hubby and his motivations but, admit this was based on a feeling - nothing solid. I don't think the parents were selfish as much as unrealistic. I think they loved her. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I agree with Aries concerning the greed on the medical side; hospitals are not the heavenly havens they claim to be - they are a business/bureaucracy and that can be very obvious if you spend any time in one as a patient. I've experienced that chilly breeze first hand in more ways than one. Another reason I'd be ready to scamper for the light. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by BeeCee; 10-11-2007 at 07:25 AM.

beautygirlsmom Guest
    As a mom to three daughters, I think it would just be the way a parent was - hopeful that their baby girl was still in there somewhere and that they would find SOME medical treatment or technology eventually that would bring her back. As hard as it would be for me to see my children in the situation Terrie was in, I think it would be harder to give them up. And I just never felt any love from Mike Schiavo. Honestly, he had moved on with his life, regardless of who encouraged him to do so, and since her parents were more than willing to care for her or see to it that she was cared for, he could have just backed out of her life. Had to be in it for something.

djdeath-hag Guest
    I believe he WAS in it for something, the dedication to carry out what his wife wanted. He & her parents had exhausted all medical options YEARS before the feeding tube battle began. None of the doctors who examined her case found any evidence that she was still "in there". While I can empathize with the parent of any child in this position, I HOPE that I would have the courage & compassion to do right by my child....and let go, Let God. There's always going to be those who dislike Mike but that comes from all of the publicity her parents & siblings garnered. There was no more money left....and once her family was aware of that, they became much more "attached" to keeping her body alive....as in so many sad cases, it comes down to following the money trail.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Such a sad scenario, no matter how u look at it.
    ~SinKitty

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Such a sad scenario, no matter how u look at it.
    ~SinKitty
    You betcha....and avoidable....I've got my DNR, Living Will, Healthcare Surrogate, Pre-need healthcare guardianship ducks in a row.

kelbons Guest
    I'm from the area where Teri grew up and I believe her parents still live up here... or at least family does. So this story was big when it was going on.

I believe they let her go on too long; the parents hung onto false hope when it was obvious there was no hope. Personally, I would never want to be kept alive like that - if there was no hope like that.

Her husband was made out to be the bad guy when he tried to move on; I believe he knew that there was no hope for Teri ever coming back to him... And I also believe that her spirit was gone ling before her body died!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    I'm from the area where Teri grew up and I believe her parents still live up here... or at least family does. So this story was big when it was going on.

I believe they let her go on too long; the parents hung onto false hope when it was obvious there was no hope. Personally, I would never want to be kept alive like that - if there was no hope like that.

Her husband was made out to be the bad guy when he tried to move on; I believe he knew that there was no hope for Teri ever coming back to him... And I also believe that her spirit was gone ling before her body died!
    It was Terri's parents who were urging Michael to begin dating....according to the reports. I think that he used the advantage of being her legal spouse quite well, especially in the inscription on her grave. The entire lunatic fringe that turned the "death watch" into a freak show should be ashamed of themselves....they made it awfully difficult for familes of other hospice residents to get in & out of there.

Kathyf Guest
    I think that if the parents wanted to care for her they should have let them. It would have made no difference to the husband she had alreadt been gone for years.

she wasnt on life support. she starved to death.

attackatdawn Guest
    I am really torn about my opinions on this. 5 years ago my oldest sister was in a coma for 3 months, doctors suggested to her family to turn off life support and they said no well she pulled thru and is doing ok, walking, talking but has a few lasting medical problems. On the other hand my father was on life support after suffering a massive stroke and mom pulled the plug because in a living will he stated that is what he wanted. I am still undecided but I also think if it was me I would not want to linger for years being in a vegeative like state it would be better to let me go.

leppchic Guest
    I have to say that you can't convince me anyone would want to be "living" like that. I know I wouldn't. If there is no hope, let me go peacefully. Don't keep me around in that state in hopes that I MIGHT someday get some sort of recovery. She had been that way for some time if I am not mistaken. I lived with my grandmother for years before she died. She had alzheimers. She would sit all day and stare at the ceiling, seeing things and telling us of pink ponies on the ceiling etc. She was living fine, and eating etc. But she had bed sores and all sorts of pain. I am not saying we should have "put her down" but seeing that is what made me feel that she had no quality of life. The same goes for Terri, she had no quality of life. We had a family meeting one night when her heart would stop and start. Her daughter wanted to call 911, but on the other hand how much longer should we have kept her like that? We let her go, in her bed in her sleep very peacefully. A graceful exit from our world. It was almost a peaecful experience. To know she was in a better place, and was reunited with her husband again and no longer laying in bed all day long staring at the ceiling. We gave her a tv, but she wasn't interested. We would go in and sit with her but she really wasn't there either. She would go from pleasant to pissed in 2 seconds. That is the disease though. I wouldn't want to be kept alive like that....l really have no feelings about her husband, I tried to avoid all that. I don't know all the info so I can't really have any sort of say about him. It was sad, but I think it was the right thing to do....JMO

mommafreak Guest
    how can a hospital keep fluids from a patient? what are hospitals for? to starve a patient?

djdeath-hag Guest
    Hospitals & hospices operate differently. For several years, Michael & Terri's parents worked together, getting medical opinions & chasing after the elusive treatment that might some day bring her back from the PVS....to no avail. After about 7 years, Michael began to try to make good on a verbal promise, not to keep his wife alive through artificial means. It was her parents that dragged it out for another 8 years. Who among us would WANT to live 15 years in a state of limbo? Cut me loose, let me fly free.

monhol Guest
    i would not want to be kept alive either. but my thing was her husband should not have been able to make that decision. he was a married man and had a girlfriend that he made babies with. my opinion was that he broke the marriage once he slept with another woman. so he should have divorced her and lived his life. but it was MONEY involved. from what i read he had been trying to pull the "plug" on her for 7 years.she went in to a coma, he sued and received some money. the money was for terri. but 2 years after he got the "dough" he wanted to pull the "plug". why?? he knew his wife would never be the same after the first year and that is when i feel he should have done it. but see you can not sue, get the "dough" and pull the "plug" all in the same day. he had to make it seem like he was the greiving "husband" who wanted his wife to come back knowing she was not. i believe he wanted that money to spend on his woman and those kids he made through cheating. yes cheating they were still married.when he saw the money become less and less he knew he had to speed up the process of getting rid of terri. i believe her parents knew what he was really up to. i think that is why they fought so hard.at first i felt bad for him until i read the whole story. he claimed it was not money he would give it to charity. that does not make it better. he'll get that back during tax time. because as we all know when you give away money it is a tax write off and you get it back.so him and all these celebrities who give money get it back. so you are not really giving away anything. i know her parents should have let her go a long time ago and so should he. i would not want to see my child suffer and i do not want them to see me suffer.

djdeath-hag Guest
    ***Admission of mistake*** I have been misspelling her surname, chalk it up to my lack of spelling skills...or what I was tipping back when I began this thread...either way, I apologize...and for the record it is SCHIAVO!

I guess the thing that I hope that we can all agree on from Terri's story is that living wills are very important. Her story is heartbreaking but would never have been played out in the media....but handled as a private family matter, were it not for her parents & siblings. Michael's appearances in the media were quite limited....and in the final years, non-existent.

I cannot apply what my religion's views to the right or wrong about Michael's extra-marital affair....since my church & my government won't allow me to be legally married to my partner. (btw, for the record, I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, in spite of myself) I certainly would not want to have to walk in the shoes of any family torn apart by such a tragedy...and I empathize with both sides....but it was not a money thing.
    http://www.nndb.com/people/296/000093017/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schaivo
    ~Peace, Dennis

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I read Michael's book and Mark Furham's book, in which he does everything short of libel/slander to accuse Michael of causing her condition.

I think the whole thing played out in the media was absolutely shameful on both her families part and Michael's.

Terri had some ongoing self-esteem problems, was very sensitive about the fact that she had been overweight, had some bad eating habits. Michael was the first guy she had ever dated and he was kind of an asshole but she was in love or at least thought she was.

I have no opinion on whether or not disconnecting her feeding tube was "right" or "wrong" since that is a very personal decision. I saw my mom die in hospice after a three year roller coaster of sickness and when she looked at me and said, "Lisa, I can't do this anymore," that was it for me.

I agree with Aries, we can put our pets down when they are suffering. However, that is also a very personal decision.

The best lesson we can all learn from this: MAKE A LIVING WILL! There are free forms available online.

Oh, and that Jeb Bush is a raging asshole, but we already knew that.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    I read Michael's book and Mark Furham's book, in which he does everything short of libel/slander to accuse Michael of causing her condition.

I think the whole thing played out in the media was absolutely shameful on both her families part and Michael's.

Terri had some ongoing self-esteem problems, was very sensitive about the fact that she had been overweight, had some bad eating habits. Michael was the first guy she had ever dated and he was kind of an asshole but she was in love or at least thought she was.

I have no opinion on whether or not disconnecting her feeding tube was "right" or "wrong" since that is a very personal decision. I saw my mom die in hospice after a three year roller coaster of sickness and when she looked at me and said, "Lisa, I can't do this anymore," that was it for me.

I agree with Aries, we can put our pets down when they are suffering. However, that is also a very personal decision.

The best lesson we can all learn from this: MAKE A LIVING WILL! There are free forms available online.

Oh, and that Jeb Bush is a raging asshole, but we already knew that.
    Excellent points, Mrs. Watson! (at least I spelled your name right!) -My sympathy is extended for the loss of your mother.
    -Michael was never accused of having anything to do with the originating medical crisis until the final years.
    -Jeb comes from a long-line of assholes, imho
    ~Peace, Dennis

deathybrad Guest

Unhappy Terri Schiavo

I know it's old news but I'd love to hear what you, my friends, have to say about it. I always thought the pictures of her with all her makeup on and her hair done were really sad. I know the family wanted to believe she was going to be ok but sometimes you have to see the forest from the trees.

firegilnotguns Guest
    There's a thread about this here: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344

different kind of girl Guest
    I agree, she was kept alive too long. I imagine it must be horrible to have a child day, but isn't it worse to have a child who is living and is really not "alive?" I would watch the tv every day waiting for news of her death and oftentimes during the day I'd wonder what she was going through at that moment, starving. I get so wrapped up in it.

deathybrad Guest
    Thanks.

deathybrad Guest

We don't even do that to dogs.
    ---
    Furthermore, the parents wanted him to move on and start a new life so he would take his focus off of Terri. Guess it didn't work.
    ---
    Also, was anyone else terribly offended that members of congress deemed her reasonalbly healthy from a video where she obviously wasn't?
    Last edited by deathybrad; 10-16-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Also, was anyone else terribly offended that members of congress deemed her reasonalbly healthy from a video where she obviously wasn't?
    That is what we like to call "pandering for political reasons". They were after the right wing voters. Not one of them gave a rat's ass about the truth, or Terri.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    That is what we like to call "pandering for political reasons". They were after the right wing voters. Not one of them gave a rat's ass about the truth, or Terri.
    Well said, Harry!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    The case made me insane. In my opinion, the parents were attention-seeking tools of the right wing and just wanted to be on TV. The husband looked creepy to me, too. No wonder Terri was miserable and had eating disorders! Look at who was around her.

poppie Guest
    This woman suffered more than any human ever has. Pictures of her in papers, parents acting like asshats, politians voicing their opinions when they weren't asked, people involving themselves in her care when they can't tell their own butt from a manhole. God bless her. I hope she is at peace.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Her final resting spot is quite beautiful, certainly more peaceful than the last 15 yrs. or so that she spent trapped in between. Her parents continue to run their foundation....getting paid for speaking engagements & getting involved in the very personal matters of others. I suspect that this is a primary source of income for her siblings as well.

Chascsq Guest
    My feelings are criss crossed. She was kept alive too long, but I have to say Michael should of turned her over to her parents if he had moved on as he claimed, and they were willing to take care of her, but yet he kept fighting to keep control of her, and get her tube removed. That's what bothered me. Plus I felt she should of been allowed to be examined by any number of doctors her parents wanted just to be sure, and we ended up not even getting an answer till the autopsy.

DannaMarie24 Guest

The Book

[SIZE=4]You should read the book TERRI THE TRUTH by Michael Schiavo. There where lots of things I didn't understand about the case till I read it. Lots of interviews from various people along with stuff that happened in court. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]From what I did gather from the book Terri's parents was the first ones to urge Michael to start dating. He tired to include her parents in everything. They didn't threaten to take him to court till Terri and Michael got the settlement from Terri's O.B.G.Y.N. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I know it's pretty much all his view point..but it's still an interesting read.[/SIZE]

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chascsq View Post
    My feelings are criss crossed. She was kept alive too long, but I have to say Michael should of turned her over to her parents if he had moved on as he claimed, and they were willing to take care of her, but yet he kept fighting to keep control of her, and get her tube removed. That's what bothered me. Plus I felt she should of been allowed to be examined by any number of doctors her parents wanted just to be sure, and we ended up not even getting an answer till the autopsy.
    I guess that the issue of who is one's next of kin as regarded by our laws is an important factor....and of course, it bites that I can't marry the man I love. The way that I see things, Michael didn't want to give up his right to make decisions on Terri's behalf because he knew that her folks wanted to keep her suspended forever....which he says she had expressed that she would not want. (Who really would?!???) Even when the court appointed a 3rd party to be her guardian, the reality of what was best for the patient remained unchanged. I tend to agree with what DannaMarie24 had to say.....it's good to read both sides of the story before deciding who was the bad guy & who was the good guy. Nobody is perfect.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Yep

I guess that the issue of who is one's next of kin as regarded by our laws is an important factor....and of course, it bites that I can't marry the man I love. The way that I see things, Michael didn't want to give up his right to make decisions on Terri's behalf because he knew that her folks wanted to keep her suspended forever....which he says she had expressed that she would not want. (Who really would?!???) Even when the court appointed a 3rd party to be her guardian, the reality of what was best for the patient remained unchanged. I tend to agree with what DannaMarie24 had to say.....it's good to read both sides of the story before deciding who was the bad guy & who was the good guy. Nobody is perfect.
    [SIZE=4]All I ever knew about the case was what I seen on the news. And that was mostly the parents view. And to be honest I was on the parents side. After all they where her parents. But after reading the book I'm not so sure anymore. After all when you read that the parents where offered a chance to take Terri to there house for Thanksgiving and where too busy...it makes you stop and think....[/SIZE]

djdeath-hag Guest
    Also a little known fact is that in the early years, before the settlement & while Michael was trying to find some medical treatment, even taking Terri to California, her parents DID take Terri "home" to look after her...but quickly decided that they were not up to the job....and returned her to the nursing home. Also interesting that they or her siblings managed to get so many complete strangers involved....not just our then governor & his brother the president but sooooo many others. THEY turned her final weeks into the circus that it was. Shame on them for that.

DannaMarie24 Guest

right again

Also a little known fact is that in the early years, before the settlement & while Michael was trying to find some medical treatment, even taking Terri to California, her parents DID take Terri "home" to look after her...but quickly decided that they were not up to the job....and returned her to the nursing home. Also interesting that they or her siblings managed to get so many complete strangers involved....not just our then governor & his brother the president but sooooo many others. THEY turned her final weeks into the circus that it was. Shame on them for that.
    [SIZE=4]Yep the book talked about that also. And yes they did turn it into a circus. And it's sad..what was the point. According to the book Terri's parents hoped that Michael would buy a huge house so they all could live there and take care of Terri till he found someone else and then divorce Terri and move out. Leaving the house and money to them. [/SIZE]

MIZIZVOGUE Guest

I agree with you! There wasn't ANY PROOF that she wanted to be disconnected from her machines. If her parents were willing and able to care for her, what's the problem? I think Michael wanted her to die because he did something to her to cause her cardiac arrest. If she woke up, she could tell on him!

MbalmR Guest
    We must remember the law. Technically speaking, if Terri and Michael were still married--whether he moved on with someone else or not--legally, he had the final say in what happened to Terri. That's why the court battles were so legendary. And while we may find his behavior repugnant, we must also consider that as much as Terri's life was "empty," so was his in many ways. Was he expected to be alone for the rest of his life? To what end? For what purpose?

I do sympathize with parents who desperately cling to even the last shred of hope for recovery or a cure. However, to be realistic, if science could "bring people back," what government in their "right" mind would allow that information to be utilized? Hospitals, as pointed out in an earlier post, are there to make money first and foremost. If a cure for cancer could be found, for example, billions of dollars would be lost to hospitals and pharmaceutical companies everywhere. I don't wish to start a political debate (I'd lose because I'm not politically savvy,) but that is a harsh possibility that is worth considering.

DannaMarie24 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I agree with you! There wasn't ANY PROOF that she wanted to be disconnected from her machines. If her parents were willing and able to care for her, what's the problem? I think Michael wanted her to die because he did something to her to cause her cardiac arrest. If she woke up, she could tell on him!
    Ahh but if that was the reason he wanted her to die then he wouldn't have taken her to all these specialist to help Terri. He was trying to take such good care of her that one of the nursing homes tried to get a restraining order againt him because he was constantly making the staffs life hell for not taking care of Terri like they should. He went and got his nursing degree because he wanted to be able to take care of her.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    This whole thing was just so sad

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    IF Michael had done something to cause Terri's cardiac arrest, why would he have called 9-1-1 & why would this issue to have come to light years before the legal battles began? There was never a shred of evidence to indicate he did anything wrong. The only thing she did wrong was failing to have a Living Will, which for most young & seemingly healthy folks is rare. Spouses (like it or not) have legal rights when a legal marriage has taken place.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    I find it interesting that after the official autopsy was completed that confirmed Michaelā??s contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state, that she had massive and irreversible brain damage, and was blind that all the critics suddenly disappeared.

Oh, and the autopsy also found no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused.

RoRo Guest
    I will just say this to everyone at any age...make your wished known IN WRITING NOW...you never know when something might happen to you and unless it is written you are at everyone elses mercy so to speak...this sad case taught me to get it down and make it known