Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richard Nixon

octobersky Guest
    Here is another of Nixon and Elvis.

FannyB1923 Guest
    It's weird that Nixon ever got into politics. He never ever came across as a "people person" He must have been the smartest guy in the room.

Grudgingly I admit that he wasn't as bad as the liberal media made out- they just grilled the guy.

Now compared to some of the scandals since then, it's not a big deal. His guys broke into the DNC (oh horrors!) looking for usable dirt. I'm sure it wasn't the first time it's happened on either side.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Well, good for him! Our (parents') tax dollars at work!

It's like some people are astonished and appalled that McCain doesn't email or surf the internet. Good! I would NEVER want to think of a leader wasting time on the web, like me. Can you imagine if the president got addicted to FAD?

Well at least he would knowledgeable in something!

Amazing story. My family owns a huge resort in the hamptons (Gurney's Inn) that I work at currently. Back prior to the RNC he flew in on a helicopter, landed it on the beach at the resort, stayed in our biggest cottage called the Skippers Cottage and wrote his acceptance speech for the nomination. In my fucking hotel!!

The fame of Gurney's spa led to frequent visits from many famous individuals, among them Richard Nixon, who is said to have written his presidential acceptance speech in Skipper's Cottage.
    http://www.danshamptons.com/content/...3_2008/18.html

It's so fascinating to me and to top it off I'm a Presidential historian.
    Last edited by Monte; 12-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Don't miss him, glad he's dead.
    Yeah........I just stopped in to make sure he was still dead.....seems he is......all is well

sablegsd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    you can see Nixon at Pat's funeral here - have to feel bad for the guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgv7Ku9CRSM

No I don't have to feel bad for the guy. He beat his wife, among his other vile personality quirks.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sablegsd View Post
    No I don't have to feel bad for the guy. He beat his wife, among his other vile personality quirks.
    He was a douche........I love how the longer someone is dead, the more we are suppose to forget what an ass-shat they were in life.....no breaks from me for Tricky Dick.......and that`s if I live to be 100

jz63 Guest
    Hunter Thompson's obit of Nixon is the best final word on the man I've ever read.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/graffiti/crook.htm

FannyB1923 Guest
    I belong to the Libertarian party. This election, somebody from the LP sent me a postcard urging me to re-register as a Republican to help Ron Paul- running on GOP ticket. My reaction was, "oh hell no- I'd never join Nixon's party"

When I was 20, he was Satan and his minions personified to me. Now I'm 55 and realize there are a lot of devils running around on both sides of the fence!

Giada Guest
    Nixon as the impetus .... but I've often wondered why our potential presidents do not undergo psychological evaluation prior to running.

Nixon commented he enjoyed the, "creation of conflict so that he might be portrayed as a hero when he intervened."

Forever-27 Guest
    Once Nixons administration started to crumble I think was the turning point when americans lost faith in their government. It may have been the tip of it all , the general public not knowing the vast majority of the kniving and sneakyness that went on in DC until news of watergate broke. As the days turned into months of accusations of Nixon being in on it all, the mysterious missing 40 minutes of tape on Nixons phone calls and him defending the tapes in court from being released by the national archives all the way until his death.

After Nixon quit the job as President america lost faith in their governemt being honest with them about issues that effect the very core of what the country is about. The federal government has never regained public trust since.

When Nixon stepped down and left the white house in disgrace , people thought Ford was wrong about giving him a full presidental pardon. In fact that probably why Ford lost the 1976 election to Jimmy Carter. At the time of Ford dying he was praised by the mainstream media who condemed him 30 years prior for actually as Ford put it " Finally ending this long national nightmare "

Nixon's main downfall was that he got caught. I'm sure every president before and since infiltrated the opposing party's headquarters. Well, every president since Lincoln.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Nixon Tapes Reveal Ruminations On Abortion In Light Of Roe Vs Wade Verdict

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

pvezz Guest
    He was seriously certifiable. For real.

pvezz Guest
    He wanted so badly to win the Presidency that he called the head of North Vietnam and fanned the flames. You wanna talk about someone who was sick with power who would do anything; unreal. Sick fuck.
    Great President my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    He wanted so badly to win the Presidency that he called the head of North Vietnam and fanned the flames. You wanna talk about someone who was sick with power who would do anything; unreal. Sick fuck.
    Great President my ass.
    my sentiments exactly.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    my sentiments exactly.

He was nuts.

I will send you the book I read about him. Unreal that he was the leader of the Free World at one point.

I wasn't scared shitless because I was too young.

He was nuts.

I will send you the book I read about him. Unreal that he was the leader of the Free World at one point.

I wasn't scared shitless because I was too young.
    I'd love that!!
    I'll even pay for shipping!
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    I'd love that!!
    I'll even pay for shipping!

It is a great book but most definitely a tell all. It is quite telling but a great read. What he did during Vietnam is inexcusable.

STRAIGHT Guest
    He sure as hell wasen't perfect but he was a great president compared to Bush Jr. or Dubya or what ever else you want to call him. Nixon did do some good things believe it or not.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT View Post
    He sure as hell wasen't perfect but he was a great president compared to Bush Jr. or Dubya or what ever else you want to call him. Nixon did do some good things believe it or not.

I don't dispute anyone compared to Dubya.

Tell me what he did, though, that was good.

I'm listening.

pvezz Guest

I'm listening.

I'm not being facetious. I really want to know.

STRAIGHT Guest

I'm listening.
    1.) He ended the Vietnam war
    2.) He opened up communications with Red China which we hadn't had since 1949.
    3.) He signed the S.A.L.T. treaty with the Soviet Union which put a cap on I.C.B.M.'s
    4.) He started the E.P.A. which helped clean up the enviroment in this country.

pvezz Guest
    3.) He signed the S.A.L.T. treaty with the Soviet Union which put a cap on I.C.B.M.'s

LOL -so you apparently didn't read the book that said he encougred Vietnam? He sat back while our kids died. Period. He encouraged Vietnam.

pvezz Guest
    Read a book. Get educated.

STRAIGHT Guest
    My head is aching from the bourbon I have drank and in this moment in time I'm listening to Leon Russell singing "A song for you" while my head is pounding. So as of now I am waving a white flag of surrender. Plow the soil aasunder my feet and boil me in Pig Fat. I've no more fight left in my soul, nor do I care fair wench.

pvezz Guest
    My head is aching from the bourbon I have drank and in this moment in time I'm listening to Leon Russell singing "A song for you" while my head is pounding. So as of now I am waving a white flag of surrender. Plow the soil aasunder my feet and boil me in Pig Fat. I've no more fight left in my soul, nor do I care fair wench.
    You are a great sport.

ChargerBill Guest
    He was nuts.
    They're all nuts

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    They're all nuts
    Yes they are, Bill, but some of them are nuttier than others.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Batmama Guest
    Like it or not Nixon was one of if not the best president we ever had when it came to foreign relations and policy. Every president after him until he died consulted him on matters of foreign policy.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Read a book. Get educated.
    I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but what makes this particular book the absolute truth? I stay away from alot of so-called non-fiction, because much of it seems to be fiction. I read many of the reviews of this book and as most non-fiction goes, some think this is great and others think it's bull. Does he prove what he says? Personally, I think all politicians are crooks, and since the man is dead, I don't really care what they say about him, but I am just curious as to why, what he (the author) says, are only in his book and not public knowledge. I realize that the government likes to cover up things, but if this guy has proof of these things, shouldn't they be public knowledge by now? Since it was published in 2000.

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Yes they are, Bill, but some of them are nuttier than others.
    the term 'nuttier than squirell shit' came to mind.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    the term 'nuttier than squirell shit' came to mind.
    Nothing nutty about squirrel shit...

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Nothing nutty about squirrel shit...

omg, this should have a disclaimer. My fruity pebbles made a reappearance.

RodeoQueen Guest
    We were just talking last night about my now-deceased grandfather-in-law who used to say, "you wouldn't believe what I believe about that sonofabitch Nixon"! Hubby's family are all very much dyed-in-the-wool Democrats

Tripfaceape Guest
    My dad was a hippie kid growing up in the 60's/70's and still holds on to a lot of his hippie ways. Just last night they were talking about something on tv and Richard Nixon's name was mentioned and my dad yells at the tv " DIRTY DICK! we hated that guy..." and started mumbling under his breath. Pretty funny stuff.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripfaceape View Post
    My dad was a hippie kid growing up in the 60's/70's and still holds on to a lot of his hippie ways. Just last night they were talking about something on tv and Richard Nixon's name was mentioned and my dad yells at the tv " DIRTY DICK! we hated that guy..." and started mumbling under his breath. Pretty funny stuff.
    The History Channel had a special on Hippies and Nixon was apparently extremely ANTI-hippie, which is appararently why he put marijuana on the bad drug list

Tripfaceape Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeAnne View Post
    The History Channel had a special on Hippies and Nixon was apparently extremely ANTI-hippie, which is appararently why he put marijuana on the bad drug list

yea and the hippies were just as ANTI-Nixon if you listen to my dad's ranting lol.

ZoeAnne Guest
    yea and the hippies were just as ANTI-Nixon if you listen to my dad's ranting lol.

You would be too, if he took your pot.....lol Does dad still wear his tye-dye?

Tripfaceape Guest
    haha no, no more tye-dye but try to take away that man's Pink Floyd t-shirt and you'd think you were "the man" and not in the good way lol. or bring up the 1974 Ozark Music Festival in Sedalia, MO. (which he attended) and you'd think he'd been in a war.

and, he won't ever say anything or admit but I know secretly he's still a toker lol. I guess Nixon missed one!
    Last edited by Tripfaceape; 08-31-2009 at 09:58 AM.

ZoeAnne Guest
    haha no, no more tye-dye but try to take away that man's Pink Floyd t-shirt and you'd think you were "the man" and not in the good way lol. or bring up the 1974 Ozark Music Festival in Sedalia, MO. (which he attended) and you'd think he'd been in a war.

Look at the bright side.....he didn't go to Woodstock......

Tripfaceape Guest
    Look at the bright side.....he didn't go to Woodstock......

I actually think he would've preferred Woodstock to Sedalia. It made him and a lot of people forever hate Wolfman Jack for telling all the hippies that it would be a "no-hassle" event and the place ended up being full of cops and whatnot. Having the Hell's Angels appoint themselves "the law" of the festival, from what he makes it sound like, was not pleasant. At all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozark_Music_Festival

Hags, have I got a Nixon story for you peoples. For one thing, I live in Whittier which, to the unknowing, is Nixonland. A woman I used to know told me this gem of a story - which should give some Nixon defenders a clue as to why people turned on him big time when there was that one little crack in the armor:

While going through her mother's college yearbook, she notices a signature that is an actual signature - not one of those electronic ones. She looks again. "Mom", she says, "This is Richard Nixon's signature." She says, "Yes." "He signed your yearbook?" "Yes." "You KNEW Richard Nixon?" "Yes." All "yes"s were said in a monotone voice. "Mom, you NEVER told me you knew Richard Nixon." She says, "Oh honey, he was a horses ass back then too!!!"

Which goes to show that even back then, he extruded that charm that endeared him to, uh, well, okay, not that many people. hehehehehehe

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flmlvr View Post
    Hags, have I got a Nixon story for you peoples. For one thing, I live in Whittier which, to the unknowing, is Nixonland. A woman I used to know told me this gem of a story - which should give some Nixon defenders a clue as to why people turned on him big time when there was that one little crack in the armor:

While going through her mother's college yearbook, she notices a signature that is an actual signature - not one of those electronic ones. She looks again. "Mom", she says, "This is Richard Nixon's signature." She says, "Yes." "He signed your yearbook?" "Yes." "You KNEW Richard Nixon?" "Yes." All "yes"s were said in a monotone voice. "Mom, you NEVER told me you knew Richard Nixon." She says, "Oh honey, he was a horses ass back then too!!!"

Which goes to show that even back then, he extruded that charm that endeared him to, uh, well, okay, not that many people. hehehehehehe
    that's so funny!!!!

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flmlvr View Post

Classic!

I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but what makes this particular book the absolute truth?
    Well put.

I stay away from alot of so-called non-fiction, because much of it seems to be fiction.
    VERY well put!

To other Nixon accomplishments already listed I'll add that he ended the draft, which Lyndon Johnson had held up a few years previously as the essence of democracy.

Nelliebean Guest
    I always got the impression that Nixon would have driven over his mother to get ahead.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I always got the impression that Nixon would have driven over his mother to get ahead.
    ...making him a true politician. I've never been a fan. Don't think that is likely to change.

i know more about ike than i do dick.

supposedly,ike Never invited dick into the private apartments in the white house,the Only vp ever shunned.

in one of ikes' last press conferences,he was asked three times what had dick contributed to his administration. ike could'nt think of any off hand,and with the debates,was a factor in dick losing in 1960.

this is the biggest indictment to me of dick: supposedly only two presidents,in memoirs or auto bios did not mention their wives,buchannon and dick. buchannon was a bachelor.

nixon did acquit himself well in the kitchen debate with krushchev,his new federalism funded some worthwhile programs,he and brezhnev sought real detente,and his sec. of state kissinger[formerly nat.sec. adv.] brought the best hope of some peace in the middle east,sadly snuffed out with the honorable anwar sadats death. i do think nixon did what he thought was best for the US.

an addena on ike: both parties sought him as a candidate,so little was known of his politics. taft of ohio had the republican nomination nailed down,when ike found out that taft tapped douglas macarthur as vp,he decided to run to block this from happening. dewey of new york helped ike. taft died six months after the election,which of course would have meant a macarthur presidency. we owe a lot to ike and dewey.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

pvezz Guest
    Yes, I recall in the book I read that Ike did not socialize with Nixon or even care for him all that much. Nixon really took that hard.