Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Richard Nixon

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    i know more about ike than i do dick.

supposedly,ike Never invited dick into the private apartments in the white house,the Only vp ever shunned.

in one of ikes' last press conferences,he was asked three times what had dick contributed to his administration. ike could'nt think of any off hand,and with the debates,was a factor in dick losing in 1960.

this is the biggest indictment to me of dick: supposedly only two presidents,in memoirs or auto bios did not mention their wives,buchannon and dick. buchannon was a bachelor.

nixon did acquit himself well in the kitchen debate with krushchev,his new federalism funded some worthwhile programs,he and brezhnev sought real detente,and his sec. of state kissinger[formerly nat.sec. adv.] brought the best hope of some peace in the middle east,sadly snuffed out with the honorable anwar sadats death. i do think nixon did what he thought was best for the US.

an addena on ike: both parties sought him as a candidate,so little was known of his politics. taft of ohio had the republican nomination nailed down,when ike found out that taft tapped douglas macarthur as vp,he decided to run to block this from happening. dewey of new york helped ike. taft died six months after the election,which of course would have meant a macarthur presidency. we owe a lot to ike and dewey.
    Wow I had no idea! I read American Caesar by William Manchester and while he was a brilliant General and was firm enough to lead the reconstruction of Japan's government he would have been a disaster as a US President.
    Ike was not a warrior he was a tactician and strategist and that made him somehwat apart from the men he commanded. It also made him independant enough to be a good President.
    Nixon did open the door to China but he had such an unreasonable fear of young people and black people that he broke all the rules on surveillance and depending on how paranoid you choose to be he allowed the CIA to pacify black neighborhoods with huge influxes of cheap drugs that helped destroy the black family as a traditional unit.
    He was a flawed human being for sure and doubts and fears did him in eventually.
    Regards,
    Mary

Nixon Book Recommendation.......

I don't claim to be the highest authority on Nixon, but I can say with absolute confidence that "President Nixon: Alone In the White House" by Richard Reeves is probably the best book on Nixon's years in the White House, and gives more than a clear understanding that when all was said and done, the truth of the matter is that Nixon was his own worst enemy - which is all the more pathetic when you consider how much potential the man had - and that the dark side of Nixon - and we all have a dark side - was sooooo dark that he simply was not worthy of the job of President of the U.S. (just wait till you read some of his writings - they are infuriating). But I say, read this particular book....honest, it is good......

thanks Flmlvr,i checked and my library has a copy available.

i have to give nixon some props for planning to have California Here I Come, played as a dirge at his funereal. evidently kissinger talked him out of suicide.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    It is a great book but most definitely a tell all. It is quite telling but a great read. What he did during Vietnam is inexcusable.
    what book is that again?

pvezz Guest
    It is called "The Arrongance of Power; The Secret World of Richard Nixon".

http://www.amazon.com/Arrogance-Powe...297407&sr=8-38

This book is like the Travelocity gnome; I have lent it to two hags so far. Would be happy to send it to you when the last hag is done reading it.

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    It is called "The Arrongance of Power; The Secret World of Richard Nixon".

http://www.amazon.com/Arrogance-Powe...297407&sr=8-38

This book is like the Travelocity gnome; I have lent it to two hags so far. Would be happy to send it to you when the last hag is done reading it.
    i sent you a message, but I'll put it here anyway! Let me know when you get it back, and I will PM you my address!

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    i sent you a message, but I'll put it here anyway! Let me know when you get it back, and I will PM you my address!

Will do, girlie!

Nelliebean Guest

Richard Nixon

So today's Tricky Dick's birthday!

I shall celebrate by ease dropping on friend's phone calls and perhaps breaking into an office or two.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Interesting cover story about him in the Globe this week.A new book out claims he was a closeted gay,and names his best friend Bebe Rebozo as his partner over 40 years. Also said he was always abusive to Pat -physically too- and they were never happy (how sad for them)

He never was my favorite person-I thought he was an arrogant phony.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 01-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    So today's Tricky Dick's birthday!

I shall celebrate by ease dropping on friend's phone calls and perhaps breaking into an office or two.

No covert bombing of Cambodia? It gets you a Nobel Peace Prize you know.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    Interesting cover story about him in the Globe this week.A new book out claims he was a closeted gay,and names his best friend Bebe Rebozo as his partner over 40 years. Also said he was always abusive to Pat -physically too- and they were never happy (how sad for them)

He never was my favorite person-I thought he was an arrogant phony.
    Nixon was a good example of why we need psych evals on candidates. I've known about the physical and mental abuse of his wife for many years, as well as his alcohol/pill dependence.

Nixon was not a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Nixon was a good example of why we need psych evals on candidates. I've known about the physical and mental abuse of his wife for many years, as well as his alcohol/pill dependence.

Nixon was not a good man.
    "The Handbook of Psychopathy" states that that his predecessor, Lyndon B. Johnson, exemplified the traits of a primary psychopath, being "relatively fearless, shameless, abusive of his wife and underlings, and willing to do or say almost anything to attain his ends."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    "The Handbook of Psychopathy" states that that his predecessor, Lyndon B. Johnson, exemplified the traits of a primary psychopath, being "relatively fearless, shameless, abusive of his wife and underlings, and willing to do or say almost anything to attain his ends."
    Johnson was spooky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    The rumor's of dead voters for Johnson have been around for years, as well as implications in the death of JFK. I have maintained for years candidates for presidential office need more than vetting, they need thorough psych evals.

The rumor's of dead voters for Johnson have been around for years, as well as implications in the death of JFK. I have maintained for years candidates for presidential office need more than vetting, they need thorough psych evals.
    Never happen. Who makes the laws? Politicians. Who would get psych evaluated? Politicians. They wouldn't pass the law in a million years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Never happen. Who makes the laws? Politicians. Who would get psych evaluated? Politicians. They wouldn't pass the law in a million years.
    I agree neil ...

Just another snarky comment by ... me.

(Politicians are as thick as thieves, no matter what country they rule)

Bidmor Guest
    I agree neil ...

The founders realized that without checks and balances of power, and an explicit listing of the federal government's authorities and powers, America would evolve into basically the nation(s) they left. The original articles of the Constitution are simple to understand and a quick read. The perversion of the Constitution began in earnest with LBJ and has snowballed with succeeding presidents and congresses. Now they're so brazen to openly ignore the Constitution and do what they will.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 01-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.

stephenmiller Guest
    I read that Nixon tried to fire J. Edgar Hoover TWICE in 1971, only to back down because of cold feet or implied blackmail by Hoover.

I suggest that whoever wrote the book should report back when there is evidence. This article states that there is NO EVIDENCE of any of this.

Fulsom doesn't appear to have any smoking gun proving the affair.

While another Nixon biographer tells the Mail that Rebozo himself may had been gay, there's no evidence that he was intimate with the president.

A Life magazine cover story about Rebozo during Nixon's president says that at one point Rebozo was well known for making the scene with beautiful women in Miami. Then again, the same profile details Rebozo's impeccable sense of dress, his love of white suits (with lightened loafters to match?), the fact that he often picked out Nixon's clothing, and the pair's shared love of show tunes.
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...ve_a_gay_a.php
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

I agree neil ...

I know, I was just playing with you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senator Howard Baker: What do you know about the Kennedy assassination?
    Richard Nixon: You don’t want to know.

Senator Baker related this conversation with Richard Nixon to renowned CBS news producer Don Hewitt. As Hewitt said after learning Nixon’s response, “That frosted me.” In an interview he gave to Vicki Daitch for the Kennedy Library, Hewitt went on to make the following statement:

For reasons I never understood, none of those guys, Salinger, Bobby (Kennedy), Kenney O' Donnell, Dave Powers, Steve Smith would never, ever talk about the assassination. Did they know something?
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Senator Howard Baker: What do you know about the Kennedy assassination?
    Richard Nixon: You don’t want to know.

Senator Baker related this conversation with Richard Nixon to renowned CBS news producer Don Hewitt. As Hewitt said after learning Nixon’s response, “That frosted me.” In an interview he gave to Vicki Daitch for the Kennedy Library, Hewitt went on to make the following statement:

For reasons I never understood, none of those guys, Salinger, Bobby (Kennedy), Kenney O' Donnell, Dave Powers, Steve Smith would never, ever talk about the assassination. Did they know something?
    Good find, Johnny. If I recall correctly from the History Channel's "The Men Who Killed Kennedy", the final ep claimed that the night before the assassination there was a gathering at the north Dallas home of oilman Clint Murchison (yep, the founding owner of the Dallas Cowboys) and a curious mix of attendees. Among them was Nixon, LBJ (the sitting VP), J. Edgar Hoover, and Jack Ruby, in addition to other oil and industrial tycoons including H.L. Hunt. Now this story was related by a woman (forgot her name) who was Lyndon's long time mistress. At one point, according to the woman, those men and others went into a brief closed door meeting and after emerging, Lyndon's mistress asked what was going on to which LBJ replied (to the best of my recollection) that the Kennedys "will never embarrass me again".

The History Channel's series was produced and first aired in England and was 10 eps, then HC came up with an 11th and final ep which contained the above info. After airing of the final ep, HC was jumped on from the Johnson family as well as Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter. HC apologized and never aired that 11th ep again and removed it from the video set HC was selling. Now the only way view that 11th ep is a bootleg copy.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 01-27-2012 at 04:40 PM.

i like this scene from the movie Nixon. the whole 'bay of pigs' thing. watch the reaction of dick helms (CIA) per the Halderman diaries to the 'whole bay of pigs thing' ... somehow the bay of pigs got turned around back on kennedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-mJZ9ur_8

Last edited by johnny; 01-29-2012 at 08:27 AM.

and of course, this 'joke' made by nixon about how LBJ doesn't like to be number 2...watch nixon's facial expression at the end.
    "Referring to Nixon`s escalation of the bombing campaign in the Vietnam War. Relates anecdote of George E Christian LBJ`s Press Secretary remark about LBJ`s involvement in the JFK assassination. Taken from the famous David Frost interview."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIb73SPzkE

e howard hunt's deathbed confession.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OSYceGvWA

here is the other great scene from the oliver stone movie, nixon. here nixon is confronting richard helms director of the cia. the kennedy assassination is the subplot

'have you ever thought of death, dick?

http://www.youtube.co/watch?v=JWRVyaKnGcA

Last edited by johnny; 01-29-2012 at 08:15 AM.

^^ Dapper.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    ^^ Dapper.
    Yeah, in an SOB way.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I think he looks damned suave.
    Casual yet debonair.

Looks really, really good.
    For a dead guy.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

A Dapper Dick.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    A Dapper Dick.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Just dick will do.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Dick.

[QUOTE=JimC;1553232]I think he looks damned suave.
    Casual yet debonair.

Looks really, really good.
    For a dead guy.[/QUOTE

So true, best Conservative Politician is a dead one.
    Richard Nixon used to beat up his wife Pat.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Nixon and Truman together March 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVYIki9BHI

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Nixon and Truman together March 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVYIki9BHI
    Thank You for this, but imagine today:Trump with Jimmy Carter
    would never happen.
    Because Jimmy Carter has too much class.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Tricky Dick, there is finally a bigger asshole in the White House than you ever could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by PooBah McGee View Post
    Tricky Dick, there is finally a bigger asshole in the White House than you ever could have been.
    That's an insult to mere assholes and Trump alike.
    But I tend to think of Planet Trump as the actual Asshole of the Universe, Trump and his true "base" are just what's passing through.

Nixon and LBJ MAY 1971 - also see Billy Graham, Nelson Rockefeller and Spiro Agnew. Nixon's daughter Julie was kind of cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZi8N5Y1AFk
    Last edited by cash; 02-17-2020 at 09:25 PM.