Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott

lisalouver Guest
    Heard this only a few minutes ago.

His brother was Ridley Scott.

How incredibly sad.

Just goes to show you that life is never what it seems.

RIP

I loved "True Romance". RIP.

(Wouldn't he qualify as a "behind the scenes bigwig", though?)

Should have went to the Gate.

So tragic. He had twin boys. I feel terrible for his family. He was a great director and extremely talented. He will be missed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just heard about this, also. Tony Scott had a long, succesful career. His brother is Ridley Scott. I am so sorry.

I'm just stunned by this news. A talented person with a family. RIP.

1karenhb Guest
    I have driven over that bridge many times in the past. At midpoint it is very high up. Nice view of harbor. Can't imagine jumping from there.

Well, he certainly made a splash, didn't he?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Ted Challinor Guest
    Shame ....even though I don't think I'll ever spend £1 on any of his movies.... really intrigued as to why he's killed himself. Any conspiracy theories out there that would grace one of his films?

RIP.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Horrible. RIP

MoonRabbit Guest
    This guy seemed to have it ALL? And he jumps to his death? It will be interesting to know what caused him to do this.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Well, he certainly made a splash, didn't he?

King Cryo-le Guest
    good director... RIP

there is a rumour going around that he had been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, don't know how reliable that information is.

Such sad news .He looked like a guy who had it all - lovely wife ,2 young lads ,a great career .I wonder if he was facing an illness or something ? or maybe he was just terribly depressed .

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Cryo-le View Post
    good director... RIP

there is a rumour going around that he had been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, don't know how reliable that information is.
    I thought it might be something horrible like that. Jumping into dark water what a lonely and sad death.

Jacksmum Guest
    I thought the same thing. RIP

Really sad, he seemed to be very successful in his craft. According to news articles he had a lot of projects underway.
    Looking at the bridge in Google Maps street view, you have to wonder how he did it. The bridge roadway is lined on both sides by very high fencing.

http://goo.gl/maps/pl8s5

I love his movie, "The Hunger".

Jacksmum Guest
    Wow, I can't imagine he climbed. Maybe he cut through somehow.

Pryncis Guest
    The first thing I thought of when seeing "Tony Scott dies" and "Tom Cruise" in the first line was who pushed him? Sad all around...

Jacksmum Guest
    I guess this wasn't scheduled on the tour. What an awful thing to witness.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/20/tony-s...assenger-boat/

Ridley Scott is co-producing the tv 2 night miniseries Coma, a remake of the original film released in 1978. The original was VERY good.

I think when you are a has been it sometimes becomes too much to bear. Couple that with clinical depression (perhaps untreated) and you have many Tony Scotts

Bidmor Guest
    Tony and Ridley were working on, among other projects, a film for NGC based on Bill O'Reilly's book "Killing Lincoln".
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...-projects.html

He jumped in front of a boat tour, they took pics and videos! Shouldn't take long dear hags!

My initial feeling when I heard this was terminal illness, but as time goes on, not so much. According to TMZ videos of the event are soon to come.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

havoc Guest
    ABC News is reporting he had had inoperable brain cancer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=17039434

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    My initial feeling when I heard this was terminal illness, but as time goes on, not so much. According to TMZ videos of the event are soon to come.
    I thought the same thing, but it sounds like it was a TI. Brain cancer would be a bitch, I can't imagine what it would do to my memories and facilities. I get why he killed himself, I just wish people would stop doing it in front of an audience. That shit is scarring.

The end comes for us all. He saw how his was going to be wrote and wasn't interested so he decided to intervene. Picked the option that most interested him and went for it.

I might nit pick over his choice but in the end it's his. Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    Wow, I can't imagine he climbed. Maybe he cut through somehow.
    apparently he did climb the 8-10ft fencing....he was obviously determined to put an end to things.

bat115 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    Ridley Scott is co-producing the tv 2 night miniseries Coma, a remake of the original film released in 1978. The original was VERY good.

I think when you are a has been it sometimes becomes too much to bear. Couple that with clinical depression (perhaps untreated) and you have many Tony Scotts

Wow, he was far from a has been. He was a very much in demand director with many projects.

bat115 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I thought the same thing, but it sounds like it was a TI. Brain cancer would be a bitch, I can't imagine what it would do to my memories and facilities. I get why he killed himself, I just wish people would stop doing it in front of an audience. That shit is scarring.
    Judging from interviews coupled with stories I have heard from people who knew him, He did have a sick sense of humor.

People are being incredibly cruel calling him a coward. He was dying. This should be a wake up call to the country and medical community that people should have the right to die with dignity. He shouldn't have had to jump off a bridge.

Jacksmum Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    People are being incredibly cruel calling him a coward. He was dying. This should be a wake up call to the country and medical community that people should have the right to die with dignity. He shouldn't have had to jump off a bridge.
    Spot on okidoll.

36. 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
    Reason
    Mistake

37. 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
    Reason
    My mistake

He didn't have to. He had the money to take himself out in nearly an endless number of ways. He opted to take the bridge.

39. 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    I don't think Okidoll was dissing anyone's opinion on this board, as no one on this board has called him a coward. Is it breaking the rules if no one expressed an opinion otherwise? Just wondering.
    I don't understand it either? I didn't diss anyone's opinion.

41. 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
    Reason
    Mistake

I haven't dissed anyone's opinion on here. I've always followed the rules here in all the years I've been here. I wasn't hostile to anyone. No one here called him a coward. I just don't understand this at all.
    I agree.

Bidmor Guest
    I also understand why he jumped. Inoperable brain tumor...I'm guessing he didn't want to endure the pain but moreover, he didn't want to put his family and friends through the torture of waiting for death. Why the bridge? Another guess is he saw that as relatively painless without , in his thinking, forcing his family to deal with finding his body otherwise from a gunshot or poison or what have you...maybe he thought jumping would be the least horrific for his family. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Really sad, he seemed to be very successful in his craft. According to news articles he had a lot of projects underway.
    Looking at the bridge in Google Maps street view, you have to wonder how he did it. The bridge roadway is lined on both sides by very high fencing.

http://goo.gl/maps/pl8s5
    He was apparently an avid mountain climber and daredevil, he probably saw getting past the high fencing as a final challenge.

There was a video on youtube from the bridge's CCTV camera. But YT took it off. I'm sure with the large audience with cameras, something will show up anytime now.

Feel so bad for the family. I hope his wife and kids never see the videos.
    Cindy

I don't understand it either? I didn't diss anyone's opinion.
    I apologize.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I apologize.
    Thank you.

Thank you.
    You're very welcom.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This is what I am worried about with my mom, she has a brain tumor, doctors' are still discussing if they can remove it or not...Poor man rest in peace..

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I get why he killed himself, I just wish people would stop doing it in front of an audience. That shit is scarring.
    Agreed.

If I was a betting woman, I'd put money on his state of mind being just-do-it, as opposed to I'm-an-exhibitionist...he probably wasn't thinking much about anyone who might be watching (thus not *trying* to scar anyone). But still...

RIP.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I just find it sad that he felt the need to go out this way instead of using the time he had left to spend with his family. And I know brain tumors suck ass - I have seen alot of patients go thru it. But I hope his family doesn't resent him for it. It's a bad memory to leave you family.

I hope that he has found peace. I pray that his family does too.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

His wife is reporting the rumor of a brain tumor, cancer, etc is false. He had nothing physically wrong with him. Mentally, is probably another story...

rjbrasher Guest
    wouldnt it be something he does have brain cancer but didnt tell his wife and family? what a way to find out along with all the media attention and his suicide. Feel back for his children and wife. Also feel bad he felt to do this alone. Whatever his demons were, i hope his end was as peaceful as it can be for him. sucks a boat happen to be near by
    Last edited by rjbrasher; 08-20-2012 at 06:13 PM.

rjbrasher Guest