Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott

stephanyjml Guest
    Radar Online reported that he had Lunesta and Mirtazapine in his system. I am familiar with Lunestra, which is similar to Ambien and Imovane (in Canada). I'm not familiar with Mirtazapine but a Google search uncovered that it is an antidepressant that is also known as Remeron. Odd that he would have Lunestra in his system.

It sounds like he may have bedn sedating himself before doing the deed. IMO, of course.

harlequin_clown Guest
    He felt NOTHING then, remeron FUCKS.YOU.UP.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    True that.

Sorry if this is a silly or redundant question, but who better to ask than a group of death hags: When someone dies by jumping off a bridge into the water, do they die instantly upon impact, or do they drown? There are probably several factors (how high is the bridge; how does one truly know for sure, since the body is submerged long enough for drowning anyway...I guess the amount of liquid in the lungs?)...I'm guessing that death is instant, because one wouldn't choose to suffer by drowning, right? Just curious...
    It does depend on a lot of the factors you mentioned--IIRC, blunt force trauma is generally what does it, although if the bridge isn't high enough or the person hits the water at the right angle, they could drown. There were some rather graphic details in the article on the Golden Gate Bridge movie a few years back; there are usually spinal fractures, and the ribs can break and cut up various internal organs (heart, liver, lungs) or sever the aorta, which would cause the person to bleed to death--if drowning is also involved in these cases, I'm guessing that it's more a matter of the person being either unconscious (we hope) or so badly injured to not be able to try and stay afloat. One particular case the article mentioned was a woman who was pulled out while the story was being written--IIRC, her face had split open vertically, among all the other injuries, and some of her clothes had been blown off or out from the impact, which is apparently very common. It's not necessarily a fast or a pretty way to go, although I'd think that if you managed to break your neck on impact, that might speed things up a bit...

Geez!! Not an easy way to go, no matter what technically kills the person. Thanks for 'splainin' Robin!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

stephanyjml Guest
    Jenivere & Harlequin - yes, I think he was drugging himself up and probably felt very little. With Ambien, I am in a fog after about 30 minutes of taking if I'm not already in bed. Imovane has a similar effect although it takes a bit longer and it's not quite as effective. I would imagine that Lunestra is similar.

And w/ what Harlequin wrote about remeron, he had a cocktail that was a very effective sedative.

Interesting facts, Robin. What's the name of the film you mentioned?

It's called the Bridge - parts of it are heartbreaking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpb_Q4osyY

I saw 'The Bridge' when it first came out. Excellent documentary.
    Last edited by all8; 05-24-2013 at 02:31 AM.
    - Chris

i saw the bridge,its a very touching film.amazon has it.

Alycat32 Guest
    Still so strange there are no pics and videos floating around yet

Quote Originally Posted by stephanyjml View Post
    Jenivere & Harlequin - yes, I think he was drugging himself up and probably felt very little. With Ambien, I am in a fog after about 30 minutes of taking if I'm not already in bed. Imovane has a similar effect although it takes a bit longer and it's not quite as effective. I would imagine that Lunestra is similar.

And w/ what Harlequin wrote about remeron, he had a cocktail that was a very effective sedative.

Interesting facts, Robin. What's the name of the film you mentioned?
    Here we are almost a year later after it happened and there are still a lot of questions. However, the coroner determined that while the drugs mentioned were in his system, they were in theraputic amounts only and would not have caused the suicide to be painless, nor would he have been enough to act as a significant sedative.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Here we are almost a year later after it happened and there are still a lot of questions. However, the coroner determined that while the drugs mentioned were in his system, they were in theraputic amounts only and would not have caused the suicide to be painless, nor would he have been enough to act as a significant sedative.
    Weird, and sad. Well, he was certainly determined, if nothing else (didn't an eyewitness observe that it looked like he had ankle-weights on?).
    On a haggy note, I'm *very* surprised that no one's cell footage has surfaced on the interwebs, especially since there were apparently a buncha people milling around at the time.
    RIP.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Giada Guest
    http://blog.sethroberts.net/2012/10/...ntidepressant/

??Tony Scott Suicide Remains a Mystery After Autopsy,? wrote a Vanity Fair editor. The autopsy found that he had been taking the antidepressant Remeron, whose known side effects include suicide. SSRI??s, of which Remeron is an example, cause suicidal thinking in people who are not depressed.The psychiatrist David Healy was the first to emphasize this point. In 2000, after he began this research, he was offered a job at the University of Toronto. In a very unusual move, the job offer was rescinded. Apparently psychiatry professors at the University of Toronto realized that Healy??s research made the psychiatric drug industry look bad.

Having had personal experience with anti-depression meds, (I had a physically violent reaction, severe flu like symptoms), I can well understand the meds may have been the causative factor.

Last edited by Giada; 03-01-2014 at 12:46 PM.