Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: President Harding's Strange Death

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    Sorry I was being a smart arse, I love to read about your Presidents,
    See, I knew you couldn't be American, since we'd be more likely to say, "We had a President Harding?"

I vaguely remember this story from history class, but they left out all of the Melrose Place bits for some reason (although we covered the Teapot Dome scandal for a solid week). Thanks for reminding me about it, Kathy, and I do think the Duchess had a hand in his death, if only because I like to picture her as a Jazz Age Livia, recognizing a problem and solving said problem-permanently.

tarsier Guest
    As an Ohioan I just know we aren't supposed to claim this president as home-grown

Deathgoddess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flmlvr View Post
    Speaking of the Teapot Dome Scandal, I read "The Teapot Dome Scandal" by Laton McCartney a few years ago, and boy, did it ever give a few hints as to what might have happened to the guy. If he hadn't died, there is no doubt this particular scandal would have been his undoing. So that is why I kinda go along with the "wife had him offed" scenario. The book was so well written and made it easy to understand what the whole thing was about. And yes, other deaths were involved (hey, I'm not giving everything away here - I want you guys to read it hehehe)......anyways, a great read.......
    Now I know what I am doing over Christmas Vacation :-) I have been looking for some good reads on this subject, I think the one Gaston Means wrote might be good too. Has anyone read that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    Now I know what I am doing over Christmas Vacation :-) I have been looking for some good reads on this subject, I think the one Gaston Means wrote might be good too. Has anyone read that one?
    Well, I didn't read THAT version - only the Laton McCartney version. And I'm glad to report that if you have an eReader, Laton McCartney's version is available on both Kindle and Nook.

Amazing presidential facts:

Lee Oswald was the lone miscreant in the Kennedy assassination.

Warren Harding died of a stress induced heart attack. Both of Harding's siblings died of the same thing.I saw a picture years ago showing Harding walking from a train platform to his limo after already experiencing an earlier heart attack and Harding looked horrible. Doctors should not have let Harding walk after his first heart attack.
    Confusion about Harding's death is well deserved as there were several causes of death reported after Harding's death including apoplexy and shell fish toxin.
    Everyone was sure Zachary Taylor was poisoned (Taylor had been threatened with death to his face by a South Carolina senator), but an autopsy in the 1990's confirmed Taylor's coronary arteries were clogged.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Amazing presidential facts:

Lee Oswald was the lone miscreant in the Kennedy assassination.

Warren Harding died of a stress induced heart attack. Both of Harding's siblings died of the same thing.I saw a picture years ago showing Harding walking from a train platform to his limo after already experiencing an earlier heart attack and Harding looked horrible. Doctors should not have let Harding walk after his first heart attack.
    Confusion about Harding's death is well deserved as there were several causes of death reported after Harding's death including apoplexy and shell fish toxin.
    Everyone was sure Zachary Taylor was poisoned (Taylor had been threatened with death to his face by a South Carolina senator), but an autopsy in the 1990's confirmed Taylor's coronary arteries were clogged.
    Hey, don't muddle the drama with rational argument and logic-I won't have it!

I was just discussing conspiracy theories with the in-laws the other day and told them how it struck me that conspiracy theorists always seem to give the "conspirators" credit for far more intelligence and resourcefulness than any of said conspirators have ever demonstrated. My excuse is that a heart attack (or a lone gunman) is not nearly as interesting as imagining a complicated, Shakespearean plot complete with vengeful wife and conniving enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I know it is so out of hand, not to mention that we are probably the but of many jokes from other countries. Like Bill Clinton- I ner had sexual relations with that woman. LOL What pissed me off the most is that he lied under oath and got away with it.
    this reminds me of when hillary asked chelsea after she came home from her first year of college if she had been having sex;chelsea replied "not according to daddy".
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post

I was just discussing conspiracy theories with the in-laws the other day and told them how it struck me that conspiracy theorists always seem to give the "conspirators" credit for far more intelligence and resourcefulness than any of said conspirators have ever demonstrated. My excuse is that a heart attack (or a lone gunman) is not nearly as interesting as imagining a complicated, Shakespearean plot complete with vengeful wife and conniving enemies.
    Speaking of Shakespeare and conspiracies: there used to be folks (and still are) who believe that Shakespeare was a front for another author or a group of authors, and that Bill was a local yokel incapable of writing such great work. Plagiarism software have confirmed it is not Marlowe or Bacon. Some of these folks insist Shakespeare couldn't have known all of the details about far away places since it has been determined Shakespeare never left England. Well Shakespeare had many historical and geographical mistakes, one of which being in Julius Caesar where two characters wait for the bell to toll at midnight. There were no bell towers in Caesar's time. Mark Twain had only three years of schooling yet he is one of America's greatest authors. I would say that Lincoln's Gettysburg address was written by a third grade drop-out, however that plagiarism software has determined much of Lincoln's famous address was written by his secretary John Hay.

One Shakespeare rumor I would like that software to examine is the King James Bible. There has been a rumor that the initial translation read like a laundry list and that Shakespeare and other playwrights whipped it into a more poetic shape.
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 12-28-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: No reason
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

obvious that discussions of shakespeare and the king james version go beyond a message board,but the kings men were influenced by the tynsdale translation which was made primarily from the greek and what hebrew as was known. the kjv was translated mainly from latin,but much of the style was known from tynsdale.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I know it is so out of hand, not to mention that we are probably the but of many jokes from other countries. Like Bill Clinton- I ner had sexual relations with that woman. LOL What pissed me off the most is that he lied under oath and got away with it.
    Well you know the old saying, "Eatin' ain't cheatin' and suckin' ain't fuckin'." Classy,huh?

I never knew that story about Harding. I knew there were strange circumstances around his death but that's all I knew. Facinating reading. Thanks for posting.

for another great read...."the first ladies" by Sol Barzman....it's from 1970 so you will probably have to hit the used book shops.....florence harding is not protrayed well.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

In the spirit of the Maury show, Warren was the father!!

Turns out the whole "Baby, you can't get pregnant because I had the mumps and it made me sterile," was just wishful thinking on Warren's part.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-closet.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

OMG! A president fooling around. I bet even Lincoln got his log out every now and then.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Warren Harding: Grandson of former US president asks to exhume his remains

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54146221

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Warren Harding: Grandson of former US president asks to exhume his remains

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54146221
    Good, because I still think his wife murdered him.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.