Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barbara Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    What mental illness did she suffer from?
    I'm no psyciatrist, but when I read the book, it sounded to me like a serious case of bypolar disease (manic-depressive) with more depression than highs. It went untreated, of course. She also had a severe case of insecurity that turned into self-loathing. I don't know if that's a side effect of bypolar or not .
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Who wants to see her on FAD?

Can I get a show of hands here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Can I get a show of hands here?

I do!

Jod6cindy Guest
    Hi,
    I'm John O'Dowd, Barbara Payton's biographer. I want to thank those people who have shown an interest in Barbara in this thread. If I can answer any questions about her for anyone, please know that I would be happy to discuss her here.

I hope to contribute something of value to this forum, and I wish everyone the best.

Thanks,
    John O'Dowd

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    that was a FANTASTIC read-thanks so much..

Jod6cindy Guest
    Thank you very much, Ghoulie Girl. If the book helped to restore some of Barbara's dignity as a flawed, but inherently decent human being, then I'm grateful.
    Take care-
    John
    Last edited by Jod6cindy; 07-18-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jod6cindy View Post
    Hi,
    I'm John O'Dowd, Barbara Payton's biographer. I want to thank those people who have shown an interest in Barbara in this thread. If I can answer any questions about her for anyone, please know that I would be happy to discuss her here.

I hope to contribute something of value to this forum, and I wish everyone the best.

Thanks,
    John O'Dowd

I can't wait to read the book!
    I am so happy that her son is ok and is honoring her memory!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Thank you very much, Ghoulie Girl. If the book helped to restore some of Barbara's dignity as a flawed, but inherently decent human being, then I'm grateful.
    Take care-
    John

Goal Accomplished

Jod6cindy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I can't wait to read the book!
    I am so happy that her son is ok and is honoring her memory!
    Hi shipmatekate,
    I really appreciate your interest in Barbara's book and I hope you like it. Who are some of your favorite deceased stars? (I don't know why but it sounds kind of funny to me asking it that way!)

Barbara Payton's son is doing terrific. He has a very happy marriage of over 25 years, and a good life. And he has absolutely no trace of bitterness or anger in him, or any disappointment in his mother, either. To me, that says a hell of a lot about the kind of person he is, and the kind of family he had, too (including Barbara).

Thanks again & take care,
    John

Hey John its me. Your biggest fan *waves* I know him I really do!!!!!!!

Seriously I am glad you are here. If anyone knows about Barbara Payton life you do. And I am still hoping that your movie gets made.

Jod6cindy Guest
    Hi Estrellita,
    You've been so supportive of my work on Barbara's story and I'll always appreciate it. As I think I told you, her story will most likely haunt me for the rest of my life. I hate to see people -- ANYONE -- degrade themselves in any way. I mean, the world is good enough at doing that to us, without us doing it to ourselves, you know? Stories like Barbara's and Colleen Applegate's, etc. are heartbreaking to me. I think tough love is ALWAYS called for when it comes to a loved one's survival. Just think of all the happiness girls like Barbara and Colleen could have felt (and brought to other people's lives) if they had moved past their problems and managed to get the help they needed? We probably wouldn't be talking about them here, but it would be much better if they were still alive and healthy, and most importantly...happy.

I think we should feel empathy and compassion for all of life's Fallen Angels, whether they're famous or not.
    Last edited by Jod6cindy; 07-25-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Hi Estrellita,
    You've been so supportive of my work on Barbara's story and I'll always appreciate it. As I think I told you, her story will most likely haunt me for the rest of my life. I hate to see people -- ANYONE -- degrade themselves in any way. I mean, the world is good enough at doing that to us, without us doing it to ourselves, you know? Stories like Barbara's and Colleen Applegate's, etc. are heartbreaking to me. I think tough love is ALWAYS called for when it comes to a loved one's survival. Just think of all the happiness girls like Barbara and Colleen could have felt (and brought to other people's lives) if they had moved past their problems and managed to get the help they needed? We probably wouldn't be talking about them here, but it would be much better if they were still alive and healthy, and most importantly...happy.

I think we should feel empathy and compassion for all of life's Fallen Angels, whether they're famous or not.

I believe you told her story in a most honest way. It made me look in to myself, as it did with many others who read your book. And as you said we have enough to deal with in this world without bring more harm to our lives. Your book is just not a story of a fallen movie star, but a way to understand one's self need to destroy what we have.

Photo taken of BARBARA PAYTON in 1965, 2 years before her death.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

knothere Guest
    and in her glory

silverwaif77 Guest

Barbara Peyton

I just found this great, yet sad story about a hauntingly beautiful actress who was chewed up and spit out by hollywood.

http://crimemagazine.com/03/barbarapayton.htm

I gotta look for this book, sounds like a good read, by a guy who did his homework.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    I just found this great, yet sad story about a hauntingly beautiful actress who was chewed up and spit out by hollywood.

http://crimemagazine.com/03/barbarapayton.htm

I gotta look for this book, sounds like a good read, by a guy who did his homework.

Hi there. Just wanted you to know that their is a thread on this subject already. Let me direct you.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...Barbara+Payton

And yes I have read the book it is awesome, You will find many interesting posts about her there on the above link.

wow...this is the coolest thread i have read in a while....keep the posts coming.... i would love to know more....and she needs a FAD page for sure

silverwaif77 Guest
    DAMN!!! I did a search for her before I posted it, but I mispelled her last name as Peyton not Payton, so nothing came up GRRRR.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    DAMN!!! I did a search for her before I posted it, but I mispelled her last name as Peyton not Payton, so nothing came up GRRRR.

This happened to me too...I posted Keith Whitley with the correct spelling and it had already been posted with a typo so when I did the search i got nothing...no worries...they merged it for me before I even realized what had happened.

21. 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Jod6cindy Guest
    Hi Estrellita and everyone,
    I hope you're doing well. Nothing new to report yet on Barbara's film project. Evidently, these kinds of things move VERY slowly.

I guess we'll have to just keep putting a lot of positive energy toward the thought that one day, the film WILL be made, and be satisfied with that, for now. I have been thinking about it a lot more lately than I ever have before so I don't know...maybe that means something.

I still want it to be done right, if it's going to be done at all.

Oh well, I'll keep holding a good thought for it, and I hope you will, too.

I am working now on getting a lot of photos together for the second book project on Barbara's life. I hope to be able to feature some really rare shots of her in the book, which will also feature comments from her son John Payton, and Jan Redfield, Barbara's best friend and sister-in-law. It's kind of a different approach and I hope it works.

Take it easy, and thanks again for all your support,
    John
    Last edited by Jod6cindy; 08-30-2008 at 02:29 AM.

letty1970 Guest
    what a sad, sad,sad story

kevquo Guest
    I am fascinated by her story,never heard of her until this thread,A tragic story,she was truly gorgeous.

Well John any good news on your movie project. I am on pins and needles, can't wait to know more info on you r bio movie project on Barbara Payton.

Jod6cindy Guest
    Hi Estrellita,
    Maybe there's some potentially good news to report. A female screenwriter in L.A. who has a film coming out next year on the Andrew Cunanan serial killings has just finished reading "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" and she is very interested in writing a screenplay on Barbara's life, based on the material that's in the book. I've put her in touch with the film producer with whom I have an option to develop the project, and they're discussing it now. I've read several samples of this woman's work and she is an absolutely phenomenal writer. I have a very good feeling about her and am excited to think that she might be the right person to write the screenplay.

I think it would be fascinating to see Barbara's story told from a female's perspective, and I really hope this works out.

Please hold some good thoughts for all of us, okay? Thanks a lot.

John

Wow a double treat. I can't wait for both of these to be done.

Jod6cindy Guest

Barbara Payton on the cliffs at Malibu Beach

I hope some of you will enjoy this photo of Barbara Payton climbing the cliffs at Malibu Beach.

Barbara was a knockout and I'm enjoying collecting photos of her for a new book project that will hopefully be out next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sexy shot of Barbara Payton on the cliffs at Malibu Beach, CA.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	9044  

kevquo Guest
    Being from England I have never heard of her so thankyou for bringing her to light,she was absolutley gorgeous and truly stunning.What a terrible and tragic life she had.God rest her sole.
    Cheers Kev

Martini M. Guest
    I just finished "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" and I have to say it was very well done. John O'Dowd showed Barbara warts and all, but was very sympathetic towards her on the whole. I have to say I agree with the idea of bipolar disorder, plus the likelihood that she was sexually abused at some point in her life.

Belle du Jour Guest
    I read that Barbara's first sexual encounter was at her friend's birthday party, her friend's Father cornered her in the rest room and the rest took place in a dry bath tub. Talk about a lousy "first time!"

Jod6cindy Guest

Remembering Barbara Payton, November 16, 1927 - May 8, 1967

Remembering Barbara Lee Payton
    November 16, 1927-May 8, 1967

Like a wild mustang on the loose, you raced through life with a reckless and joyful abandon.

Your friends and family miss your laughter, Barbara, and your soulful compassion for everyone but yourself.

I know you're in a place of perfect peace, far beyond and above what matters here on earth, but I wanted you to know that you are still loved and missed by those who knew the kindhearted person you were.

Rest easy, Barbara Lee.

John

Name:	Closeup photo of a brunette Barbara during one of her many comeback attempts in Hollywood.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	9905  

Jod6cindy Guest
    Another photo of Barbara with her son John Payton.

His loyalty and love for you, Barbara, remain strong and unyielding.

He's doing well and I know you are proud of him.

Name:	Barbara and her beloved son John Lee Payton.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	9908  

Good pictures. Can't wait for the movie to come out on her bio.
    It's All Gravy Baby [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jod6cindy Guest
    [SIZE=4]I wish all my fellow Barbara Payton fans and everyone at Findadeath, very Happy Holidays and a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a New Year of love, luck and boundless good health.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Wishing everyone peace and lots of love in your life,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]John[/SIZE]

Name:	Barbara in the mid 50s.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	11169  

Lisamarie Guest
    Her story was amazing ! I feel so sorry for her....

Jod6cindy Guest
    Thanks, Lisamarie. I appreciate it that you feel bad about what happened to Barbara. I've noticed that you and I are on the same page a lot when it comes to how we view certain celebrities.

My best to you and Merry Christmas!

John

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    i was just reading a story in a book about her, her end was tragic, she was gorgeous!!!~ it is sad how hollywood "throws" people away like that~
    Sounds like she threw herself away!

Taggerez Guest
    Payton's life was pretty tawdry. Tone once caught her in the sack with Guy Madison and asked Guy if he planned to marry her. "I can't," Madison replied, "I'm already married." "Well," Tone said, "this is my fiancee."

There are supposed to be some pretty nasty stag reels of Barbara out there floating around.

Her relationship with Tom Neal seemed to be based on pure anaimalistic sexual attraction. Neal was a rough character who liked rough sex. Payton and Neal were bad mojo when together. He killed his wife in 1965 and went to prison for it.
    Last edited by Taggerez; 12-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    Payton's life was pretty tawdry. Tone once caught her in the sack with Guy Madison and asked Guy if he planned to marry her. "I can't," Madison replied, "I'm already married." "Well," Tone said, "this is my fiancee."

There are supposed to be some pretty nasty stag reels of Barbara out there floating around.

Her relationship with Tom Neal seemed to be based on pure anaimalistic sexual attraction. Neal was a rough character who liked rough sex. Payton and Neal were bad mojo when together. He killed his wife in 1965 and went to prison for it.
    Jeez. It is sad how far down hill her life went.

Jod6cindy Guest
    Barbara was a gourmet cook and an expert in interior design; she refinished and reupholstered furniture. She had so many other interests other than drinking and drugging and sleeping around and I think that's why it still haunts her family and friends that her life ended the way it did.

It's like she was two different people and in the end, the bad person won. But I guess that happens to a lot of people. Yes, she definitely threw herself and her entire life away. A person has to feel pretty shitty about themselves, I guess, to let that happen.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Barbara was a gourmet cook and an expert in interior design; she refinished and reupholstered furniture. She had so many other interests other than drinking and drugging and sleeping around and I think that's why it still haunts her family and friends that her life ended the way it did.

It's like she was two different people and in the end, the bad person won. But I guess that happens to a lot of people. Yes, she definitely threw herself and her entire life away. A person has to feel pretty shitty about themselves, I guess, to let that happen.
    Yes, I would think they'd have to feel very shitty about themselves. It's very sad that she didn't have anyone to truly help her.

Lisamarie Guest
    John. I always enjoy your post ! And thanks for saying that! Lol!! Im happy we are alike !!!!

LadyDay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lout_Rampage View Post
    Sounds like she threw herself away!
    I agree with you there. I agree that Hollywood - old school Hollywood especially is ruthless.

But I've no doubt that Barbara wasted her talent because work did not rule her life - love and passion did.

2 different people - that's the general consensus. It is widly speculated (now) that Barbara was bipolar before anyone knew what bipolar was. The gourmet cook and expert interior decorator was the manic side while the drinking and drugging was the depressive side. All in all, a very sad life...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Jod6cindy Guest

THIS is why I liked Barbara. She had balls. Women just didn't do this in the 1950s. (Yes, I'm sure that pasting tatoos on one's face back then was indicative of the manic side of her illness.)

Today's so-called "Bad Girls" of Hollywood are BOR-ING. What they're doing really is child's play and shows not one ounce of originality or guts. Barbara had both these qualities - in spades. I think she was great.

I hope Barbara knows real peace now, because she deserves it for all that she put herself through on earth.

Name:	Barbara Payton with pasted on face tattoo.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	11203  

"Today's so-called "Bad Girls" of Hollywood are BOR-ING. What they're doing really is child's play and shows not one ounce of originality or guts. Barbara had both these qualities - in spades. I think she was great."

Truer words have never been spoken.

RoRo Guest
    what a tragedy..I am going to get that book and read it right away!

That's the thing with so many that are mentally ill: it's difficult to know just exactly how much control they have over their various illnesses. I believe that many have more control than they choose to exert. I've known people like her and it's unfortunate when the negative 'wins out' but I have found that often they have become exhausted from dealing from their 'demons' and just gave up, or gave in.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Jod6cindy Guest
    I am so tired of always seeing Barbara descibed as a "slut" on different sites on the Internet. She was a human being with flaws...just like the rest of us. She was also someone's mother, and daughter, and sister and best friend, and at one time, a really promising actress, too. To reduce her character and her life into one word -- slut -- is demeaning and cruel and shows that people are every bit as self-righteous and judgmental now as they were in the past.

Jod6cindy Guest

Barbara Payton

Barbara Payton on the beach in Malibu, CA., in the 50s, before her VERY hard times hit...

Dear Northern Lights,
    Do you have any rare photos of Barbara you can share with us on the Board? Thanks a lot, if you do (and will).

You seem to have access to the most obscure and beautiful vintage celebrity photos on the planet!

Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	15210