Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 78910111858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by alicecooper91 View Post
    I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else but I remember reading that the person who you see running out of the fire was actually one of the people who had been trying to pull people out of the pile and stayed there a little too long. I couldn't really tell from the video if that's what it looks like happened or not.
    Yes that was my understanding as well. Also i believe the guy did initially survive, but died later. Let me try to confirm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Umm ok.. Wow... Found this video of the Santika nightclub fire aftermath from the link that Ich posted. If anyone is curious about what a body pile up looks like.. yeah.. remember can't unsee what you see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lHd...layer_embedded
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Umm ok.. Wow... Found this video of the Santika nightclub fire aftermath from the link that Ich posted. If anyone is curious about what a body pile up looks like.. yeah.. remember can't unsee what you see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lHd...layer_embedded
    Sparklers INDOORS???? Are you crazy? Click on the top video on the right. Explains what happened.

rjbrasher Guest
    wow you can see in the expression of those faces that they were screaming and as they died/burned/melted they just froze that way. ugh

DrDeath Guest
    Hell's teeth that's like something off one of those forensic TV shows. That pile up was horrendous

Mammy Guest
    One of the people in the pile up at The Station actually drowned from the water being sprayed by the firemen. Does anyone have any idea which victim it was who drowned?

Comprehensive list of death tolls in structural fires:
    http://www.survivalring.org/awarenes...nts-disasters/

Hmmm this missed the Mesa Redonda shopping center fire in Lima 2001 (291 dead)

Extremely graphic video of Paraguay Supermarket Fire in 2004 (396 dead)
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed5_1311360314
    Last edited by ichabodius; 06-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

DrDeath Guest
    Good grief.....That is horrendous. Just reading the prose above and it says doors were allegedly closed to stop people stealing?!!!!!!!! Working for big business this horrifies me, but doesn't surprise me

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Comprehensive list of death tolls in structural fires:
    http://www.survivalring.org/awarenes...nts-disasters/

Hmmm this missed the Mesa Redonda shopping center fire in Lima 2001 (291 dead)

Extremely graphic video of Paraguay Supermarket Fire in 2004 (396 dead)
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed5_1311360314
    Hmm I can't seem to get the video to work..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AllyTheHag Guest
    Hmm I can't seem to get the video to work..
    I just tried it and it worked fine for me. Could it be the browser you're using? I'm using Firefox.

Mammy Guest
    I found a good two part series about this fire. The site also has a wealth of other information regarding The Station fire.

http://www.boston.com/news/packages/...tragedy+.shtml

I'd forgotten about that article, Mammy!! I think the Boston Globe had some of the best coverage of the fire and its aftermath. I've read quite a bit from their paper. Thanks for posting the link!

Mammy Guest
    I thought they did really well with their coverage, too. I hope they leave it up. I'm still pissed at Projo for taking down all of their articles and pictures about the fire! What would it have hurt to leave it in their archives?

I hear ya, Mammy!!! Every now and then I'll get lucky while poking around and will actually get to a Projo article about the fire. Never directly, but through one of those "click here, go there, read that which leads to this..." sessions. Mostly though, I have to rely on Boston Globe coverage (even tho I've read just about everything out there at least twice. LOL).

And a bit off topic, did anybody read a story the other day about a band member of "The Wanted" whose hair caught on fire at one of their shows? I believe I read about it Thursday or Friday and can't find anything since.

15. 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Thanks, Maryd. I have a degree in News Ed. Journalism that's basically worthless because newspapers are dying. After looking at career options, I decided to study Health Information Management. Once Algebra is out of the way, I should be done by next Winter or Spring at the latest. As a 46-year-old woman, I think it should be against the law for anyone, especially someone in the throes of menopause, to have to learn Algebra.
    in order to teach in Texas you have to have college algebra. I started with pre-algebra, went on to intermediate algebra (neither of which counted toward my degree) and finally college algebra...I finally got a tutor, took only one other class, repeated it, and finally pulled a C-. It just about killed me, kept me off the Dean's List, and really slowed me down. If I can do it, anyone can, good luck!!

Not Fade Away Guest
    WOw that video from Paraguay is nuts. I can't imagine that stench. Dead bodies were steaming when water was thrown on them!

Quote Originally Posted by alicecooper91 View Post
    I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else but I remember reading that the person who you see running out of the fire was actually one of the people who had been trying to pull people out of the pile and stayed there a little too long. I couldn't really tell from the video if that's what it looks like happened or not.
    '
    This seriously chokes me up. That man saved many lives. Wish we had more info...I'll look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    One of the people in the pile up at The Station actually drowned from the water being sprayed by the firemen. Does anyone have any idea which victim it was who drowned?
    Also, some guy buried at the bottom of the pile survived...The FFs found him like an hour after...alive. Amazing.

His name is Mike Vargas. His interview:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...qIxgRCy_3mUDsA

Another survivor:
    http://www.providencephoenix.com/fea...s/03617463.asp
    Last edited by LLC; 06-29-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Mammy Guest
    I've always been curious who the people were that died there in the door. We know some of them were still alive and were being sprayed with water to try to keep them from burning up when the fire got to the door and burned them all anyway. From reading profiles of the victims, I know James Gahan and Karla Bagtaz died in the pileup of people in the door. Does anyone know any others?

The guy who came out with his back in flames looked like to me that he jumped over some of the people in the door. I wish we knew if he escaped from behind the pileup or if he was trying to help get people out of the door.

I've always been curious who the people were that died there in the door. We know some of them were still alive and were being sprayed with water to try to keep them from burning up when the fire got to the door and burned them all anyway. From reading profiles of the victims, I know James Gahan and Karla Bagtaz died in the pileup of people in the door. Does anyone know any others?

The guy who came out with his back in flames looked like to me that he jumped over some of the people in the door. I wish we knew if he escaped from behind the pileup or if he was trying to help get people out of the door.
    I'm right there with ya Mam. I'm on the hunt for info as we speak.

I posted an article that gives names of some of the rescuers but it included a pic of the people in the doorway...I took it off. Didn't know if I should post it...

Link:
    http://members.surfbest.net/mikehammer/nightclub.htm

Mammy Guest
    I have seen that picture before and tried to figure out who they were, but the picture was too grainy and I couldn't. I know Gina Russo was in that pile at one point and so was Donovan Williams, but they both survived. I've just always been curious who died in the door. I've seen different charts that showed how many people died in each area of the club, but I'd like to read the names of where each victim was found.

I have seen that picture before and tried to figure out who they were, but the picture was too grainy and I couldn't. I know Gina Russo was in that pile at one point and so was Donovan Williams, but they both survived. I've just always been curious who died in the door. I've seen different charts that showed how many people died in each area of the club, but I'd like to read the names of where each victim was found.
    Yes, me too. I'll keep looking.

I am almost positive he was helping people out when he caught fire. My understanding is that by that point no one was able to pull themselves free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    I wish we knew who he was and if he survived or not. There is tons of information on the internet about this fire, but I can't find answers to any of the things I really want to know.

I am almost positive he was helping people out when he caught fire. My understanding is that by that point no one was able to pull themselves free.
    It does appear he is quite upright even while on fire...as if he wasn't under the pile. He even goes to steady himself using the handrail and bats the back of his head walking down the ramp. I wish I could find info on him. I'm looking. He's an fucking hero.

Also, notice the man responsible for lighting the fireworks seeing the man on fire. (He has a band pass on & sunglasses. Standing next to FF fixing the hoses) About 6:17 Chilling.

This tragedy gets me every time and then I spend days on it....
    Last edited by LLC; 06-29-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Mammy Guest
    I do the same thing. Once I start reading about the fire, I get sucked right back in to obsession.

I understand why the people in the middle and on the bottom of the pile couldn't get out, but why couldn't the ones on top escape? Were they all dead already?

I do the same thing. Once I start reading about the fire, I get sucked right back in to obsession.

I understand why the people in the middle and on the bottom of the pile couldn't get out, but why couldn't the ones on top escape? Were they all dead already?
    I know...I question the same thing. Before the fire was raging at the door, a well built guy was on top of the pile (far right of pic) near the door frame. Clearly, alive. Actually, even the guy under him was alive. I wondered how he couldn't crawl out somehow. Shock? Panic? Ugh. So sad. I'll be all over this for days now.

I read somewhere that it was equal to - wearing ski goggles with grease covering the lenses, straddling a campfire while breathing thru a bag half full of ammonia. Plus being pushed and pulled in all directions. My God.

Mammy Guest
    The only possible explanations I could come up with was either some of them were dead and the people under them couldn't move or there was another pile of people directly behind them that were laying across their legs. I know there was a narrow hallway right inside the door and 31 people died there. The ones stuck in the door were getting enough oxygen to breathe and keep them alive, but that definitely wasn't a good thing because they were still alive when they started burning. Most of the ones still inside died of smoke inhalation instead of burning to death. Either way is a nightmare.

Ahhhh. I think you're right. There must have been people behind the ones we can see ...restricting the movement of their lower bodies. Lord. Insane.

Mammy Guest
    That almost has to be why or the ones on top could have wiggled or rolled off of the top of the pile and the ones under them could move then. It could even be a combination of things such as people behind them having their legs pinned down or some of the people on top may have already died or at least been passed out. We'll never really know.

Makes perfect sense, Mam. I always wondered why they just couldn't roll off the top.

Gina Russo Police statements & others I haven;t read before:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...8oUc4v2mlb8PFw

When the Station Fire first happened, I came across this link that talks about the fire from road crews points of view. Lots of good reading material:

http://www.roadiebook.com/greatwhitefire.htm
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Ahhhh. I think you're right. There must have been people behind the ones we can see ...restricting the movement of their lower bodies. Lord. Insane.
    Those folks in the doorway were packed like sardines. The main push came from behind with no place to go .

I still think about of that cold night
    of the awful fire.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

After their appearance at The Station, the next stop for the band Great White would had been the club JAXX in Springfield, Virginia ( just outside DC ). I think there were several days between the two gigs however once the fire took place many many folks who had Great White tickets for the JAXX show demanded their money back ( of course the show was cancelled ) as right off the bat they had totally blamed the band for the fire. I can see that as those early news reports had sure implied just that such as that one Baltimore television station who had said when the news broke "...the fire was started by the band Great White..."

Mammy Guest
    I'm sure it was a lot of people's initial reaction. Personally, I don't blame any of the band besides Jack Russell. He pretty much decided everything for the whole band and things were done his way. He is the one who wanted something to spice up the show and had Dan Biechele pyro shopping. As for Biechele, yes he is the one who turned the key that was the beginning of the end, and he knew it when the gerbs stopped but the flames didn't when he uttered "I think I fucked up!" He had no way of knowing that the club owners had that highly flammable, dried out foam attached to the walls and I believe he had permission to use the pyros and the Derderians lied afterwards and said he didn't. They weren't the first band to use pyros there and there were even pictures to prove it on the Station website that mysteriously disappeared very quickly after the fire. Ty Longley had no input into pyros or anything else. He just played his guitar and was there to entertain their fans as were the other members of the band and he paid a huge price in this tragedy, too. IMO, the people that are the most to blame are the Derderians and the fire inspector.

I agree, Mammy. I also think the bouncer should be held accountable. I understand he lost his wife in the fire. But we'll never know how many people he sent to their death by denying them access to a safe exit. And the nerve he had to show up at memorials and basically brag that he'd kept some people from exiting is despicable, to say the least. I will agree that regardless of the egregious mistakes that were made, no one could have anticipated this tragic outcome. I wish others would have followed the example of Biechele and just said, "I fucked up." For me, it just adds insult to injury (and death!) when people were basically scrambling around trying to escape blame. Well motherfuckers, I'm sure the people this fire killed would have loved to have "escaped" as easily!

Mammy Guest
    Yeah, I don't know how I forgot the bouncer. There are several people who would still be alive and others unijured if not for his actions, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I wonder where his wife's body was found? Dan Biechele sat up the pyros and flipped the switch on them, but he had no way of knowing all of the other factors that contributed to this outcome. On many of the videos on YouTube about the fire, he is seen outside trying to help people and trying to help get a fire hose up close to the building around all of the cars in the parking lot. He pled guilty, accepted his punishment, apologized in court to the families, and wrote handwritten letters to the families of each of the victims expressing his sorrow and anguish for the deaths and injuries. The Derderians lied, tried to shift blame, filed bankruptcy, and never took any responsibility for their part in this tragedy. Jeffrey Derderian was more interested in rescuing his cash till than anything else since he grabbed it and fled behind the building with it right at the start. He made his sniveling, self serving little speech at the trial about how he sometimes wished he had died in the fire and he's sure the families of the victims wished he had died, too. Did he think that would gain him any sympathy? I would love to know what the Derderians are into these days, but I can't seem to find any recent news about them.

AllyTheHag Guest
    Yeah, I don't know how I forgot the bouncer. There are several people who would still be alive and others unijured if not for his actions, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    First I want to say thank you, Mammy and others, for all your great posts to this thread. I find the story of this fire fascinating and I'm trying to learn all I can about it.

Now, about the bouncer ... I'm currently reading From the Ashes, and I have to say that, oddly enough, reading Gina Russo's first-person account of her interaction with him has somewhat changed my perspective on the guy. There's no arguing that his initial actions cost several people their lives, and I can certainly still understand the anger that many feel towards him (specially the loved ones of those people who were injured or died). But after reading a full account of what actually happen and putting it into context, I'm not so sure that he should be held accountable and I feel that some of the animosity towards him might be colored with hindsight.

I realize I'm playing the devil's advocate, but here's what I mean:

Gina writes, "The bouncer may not have been aware of the flames, positioned as he was around the corner from the alcove, his view obstructed by a wall of speakers, but he did not believe us, either." As much as I hate to say it, when I think about it objectively, I'm not sure I would have believed them either, under the circumstances!

Even though I know it's not how it happened (and I guess this is where the hindsight comes in), logic would've dictated to me that if the stage is on fire, at the very least the band would stop playing and people would be trying to leave the building en masse. In this case, the band was still playing, people who (unlike the bouncer) had a clear view of the stage were still dancing and singing along with the music, like nothing was wrong (which I find bizarre, but I guess it's how the human mind works). So when this one couple walks up to the bouncer and says "the building is on fire," it makes sense that the bouncer would look around and think, "Suuuuure it is! Now stop making up shit and walk your lazy, drunken ass to the front door if you want to leave!" (which, btw, is not what he said!). Many businesses have "employee-only" doors that customers are allowed to use only in case of emergency (I've worked at a couple of places like this), and from what I've read, at that precise moment there was nothing to indicate to the bouncer that there was an emergency ... only a couple of people who had decided to leave and wanted to use that particular door.

Even Fred, Gina's companion who had a little more foresight than the rest, doesn't seem to have seen the fire as a big deal at that moment, certainly not a life or death situation. Like Gina says, "otherwise he would have found a way to get by, or through the colossus standing in front of him." I think he would have also tried to raise the alarm: yelled fire, told others to get out, etc., instead of calmly walking up to the bouncer and saying, "We need to get out right now." From Gina's account, it sounds like Fred didn't even mention why they needed to get out until after the bouncer had denied him access to the door. Fred, btw, was no little guy who would have been easily intimidated by a bouncer -- he was 6' 2" and weighed over 250 lbs -- I agree with Gina that his decision to turn around and head for the other door was based solely on the fact that he didn't realize how urgent the situation was. I'm not sure anyone did.

There has to be a lot of people who were in there that night that wish they had done things differently, and would have done things differently if they'd had more insight into what was happening. I read somewhere that once the bouncer realized that there was an emergency, he started directing people to the same door he had been blocking seconds before. It's hard for me to comprehend how hundreds of people can be standing just seconds away from death and not realize that anything is wrong, but that seems to have been the case in this instance.

I don't know much about the bouncer's actions after the fire, (I'm still reading the book); he might very well be a jerk and not care that these people died, but I don't believe that he knowingly or willfully sent people to their deaths, and to say that the bouncer should have had the foresight to allow Fred to exit through that door, thus saving his life, when no one else at the time (not even Fred) seem to have had even an inkling of how important that decision was or how urgent the situation, just seems unfair to me.

Just my two cents. Well, back to the book!
    Last edited by AllyTheHag; 07-07-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Hiya Ally!! Hope you continue to enjoy the book. I've learned a lot from it and the many other things that I have read. And I do understand your initial assessment. It is possible at that moment that the bouncer did not realize the seriousness of the situation. Many victims did not either. While I can't cite the exact source (cuz I've read so much and it all runs together after a while!), I do believe that there were others who attempted to get out of that door after it became evident that there was immediate danger. The bouncer claims that he did eventually help other people escape, and that might be true. And it's horrible that he lost his wife in the fire. I don't want to spoil anything from the book before you read it, but his actions at the hospital with Gina's family and at subsequent memorial services/meetings are simply deplorable. I've said it before and I'll say it again: no one person or component was 100% responsible for this fire. It was a sum total of many parts that cost so many lives and so much suffering. And I'll always believe the bouncer was part of that sum total.

Mammy Guest
    Ally, I'm glad you got interested in this fire and came here to discuss it. Gina's book broke my heart and had me crying a lot, but I am still glad I read it and think it is a good book. I've been wanting to read it again and can't seem to get my sister to give it back. I agree with your assessment of the bouncer and his interactions with Fred and Gina. The situation hadn't got serious yet and the bouncer didn't know anything at the time. I still hate to think about it, but I can kinda understand it. The victim and his friend that gets to me is Kevin Dunn (who died) and John Gibbs. (who survived) I found a article discussing it. It isn't the greatest, but I'll add a better link when I find it. The bouncer was a bully. IMO

http://hammernews.com/gibbs.gif

This is a profile of Kevin Dunn. http://www.boston.com/news/packages/...tims/kdunn.htm

This link was posted upthread, but about half way down it shows a picture of John Gibbs smoking a cigarette and talking about their interraction with the bouncer. It also mentions another patron named Bruce Cormier who had to push his way past the bouncer with his son and daughter to escape. This was well into the fire at the time and with the bouncer turning several other people away, there is no way possible he didn't know what was going on at the time.

http://members.surfbest.net/mikehammer/nightclub.htm

I think their are a couple of factors that contributed to people's slow reactions at the beginning of the fire. For one thing, a large majority of these people had been drinking and that dulled their senses and slows their reaction time. At the beginning of the fire, like you pointed out, the band kept playing for a short period of time. I am guessing these people probably expected an employee to grab a fire extinguisher and the fire would be out quickly and the show go on. Some of them even thought it was a special effect and part of the show until it reached the ceiling panels of the drummer's alcove. The patrons also had no way of knowing how toxic and flammable that dried out foam was and that the bracket holding the fire extinguisher had broken weeks before and the fire extinguisher had been tossed into a closet and forgotten about. I think these people had been drinking, didn't realize they were in such immediate danger, expected the fire to be put out quickly, and didn't want to give up their spot if the fire was put out since there were 462 people in that building. Also, if people hesitated and didn't act immediately, the whole place was filled with thick, toxic smoke in 30 seconds. Nobody ever expected the whole place to become an inferno in less than a minute including the employees. One waitress could have easily escaped in the beginning and not realizing how quickly the place would be engulfed, she ran back to where employees kept their belongings to get her purse. There weren't any flames around her at the time, but in the time it took her to run and get her purse, the entire building was an inferno and she died in it. Ty Longley also got out in the beginning and ran back inside. I've heard to get his guitar and I've heard to try to rescue people, I have no idea which is true or maybe they both are. He died in there, too.

Keep reading and posting. We love new interest in the fire and other people's opinions!

alicecooper91 Guest
    In that one article it says that Bruce Cormier saw the door slam shut, but in the video when Kevin Butler goes around back the door is still open and he calls inside. I'm sure it was just part of all the confusion that made Bruce think that it had closed, but i just find piecing together the small inconsistencies like that interesting.

Mammy Guest
    I've noticed different little inconsistencies like that in other articles about the fire. I guess what was considered as fact depended on who was being interviewed at the time. I guess it's all in their perception.

Wow Mammy!!! Looks like another discussion is starting up!!! Keep those posts coming, friends!! Mammy and I (and others!) love talking about this, swapping info, and sharing thoughts.

Mammy Guest
    Definitely! I hope people keeping posting. Welcome to Mary's and my obsession!

alicecooper91 Guest
    I'm definitely obsessed too! I've lost sleep over it.

Welcome to our obsession, Alice!! One of the first days after I'd heard about the fire, I too lost a bunch of sleep. It was one of those, "okay, just one more story, one more click, etc." Next thing I knew it was after 2 a.m. and I had to get up for work at 6!! Just when I think I've read everything (TWICE!!), someone here will post something I hadn't seen and I'll go hunting down more info! So Alice, please continue to weigh in and share your thoughts.

Yeah, I don't know how I forgot the bouncer. There are several people who would still be alive and others unijured if not for his actions, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I wonder where his wife's body was found? Dan Biechele sat up the pyros and flipped the switch on them, but he had no way of knowing all of the other factors that contributed to this outcome. On many of the videos on YouTube about the fire, he is seen outside trying to help people and trying to help get a fire hose up close to the building around all of the cars in the parking lot. He pled guilty, accepted his punishment, apologized in court to the families, and wrote handwritten letters to the families of each of the victims expressing his sorrow and anguish for the deaths and injuries. The Derderians lied, tried to shift blame, filed bankruptcy, and never took any responsibility for their part in this tragedy. Jeffrey Derderian was more interested in rescuing his cash till than anything else since he grabbed it and fled behind the building with it right at the start. He made his sniveling, self serving little speech at the trial about how he sometimes wished he had died in the fire and he's sure the families of the victims wished he had died, too. Did he think that would gain him any sympathy? I would love to know what the Derderians are into these days, but I can't seem to find any recent news about them.
    From reading witness statements from the AG's site (which unfortunately are no longer available) she was found alive by the front doors and was only identified due to her wedding ring. She died a few days later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    Thanks for that info. I guess she and her husband were nowhere close to each other during the fire. I guess he was there to work and she was there for the show. He sounds like a jerk to me.