Page 3 of 137 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island

Since the link to the infamous video keeps changing I'll repost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9Kj...689F6&index=34

WARNING TO THE 100TH DEGREE

This is bad... at 3:10 a burning woman comes out of the building... people are screaming for their loved ones... and people are burning to death.. However, this is an edited version so you do not see the crowd in the front catch on fire...but you do see others trying to save as many as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Hey Snoopy I was thinking of going up this year for the anniversary. You ever been?
    Yeah a few times..my M-I-L used to live nearby..I haven't seen it in a while though..last time they had a chain link like fence around the area and people had made a makeshift memorial with notes and pictures and flowers.

did ty longly leave the stage to tell the folks in the back room of the fire?

i could be wrong,but that was my understanding. if so,somebody ought to name an award for him.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

radiojane Guest
    I remember this being such a huge news story. You'd never catch me at concert to begin with (that's about 15,000 people too many in the same room), but this cinched it for me. I'm a coward. But I'm a coward without skin grafts or a coffin.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Since the link to the infamous video keeps changing I'll repost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9Kj...689F6&index=34

WARNING TO THE 100TH DEGREE

This is bad... at 3:10 a burning woman comes out of the building... people are screaming for their loved ones... and people are burning to death.. However, this is an edited version so you do not see the crowd in the front catch on fire...but you do see others trying to save as many as possible.
    Thanks Miho. This is the first time I have seen the video in its entirety. I have never attempted to search for it on youtube (don't know why though). You can see that when the guy filming got out he goes to the side of the building and the side exit already had flames coming out. That fire spread quick. Its a shame the place did not have sprinklers installed. And you can see the last guy moving away from the building was on fire. Does anyone know if he survived?

I saw Dateline or 20/20 or some show like that did a story on how people will react differently in life or death situations. They used portions of this video to show how some people just froze while you can clearly see some people along with the guy filming reacting quickly and getting out. I don't think you should expect the guy filming to grab others when everyone saw what was happening and there were people pointing to the exit and yelling "Go, Go". I feel that Great White should have known better and not even use the pyrotechnics in such a small crowded place. But that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Frazzzld Kat; 10-31-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzzld Kat View Post
    Thanks Miho. This is the first time I have seen the video in its entirety. I have never attempted to search for it on youtube (don't know why though). You can see that when the guy filming got out he goes to the side of the building and the side exit already had flames coming out. That fire spread quick. Its a shame the place did not have sprinklers installed. And you can see the last guy moving away from the building was on fire. Does anyone know if he survived?

I saw Dateline or 20/20 or some show like that did a story on how people will react differently in life or death situations. They used portions of this video to show how some people just froze while you can clearly see some people along with the guy filming reacting quickly and getting out. I don't think you should expect the guy filming to grab others when everyone saw what was happening and there were people pointing to the exit and yelling "Go, Go". I feel that Great White should have known better and not even use the pyrotechnics in such a small crowded place. But that is just my opinion.
    It was a woman on fire and yes she did survive.. only to pass away from cancer in 2008. I believe her name was Catherine Sagesta.

I believe in the final report it was stated there was a window of 30 secs between those who lived and died in the front door jam. The last of those who got out through the door had loved ones by the hands and they lived and their loved ones died. 30 secs is almost no time when you consider it is a matter of life or death.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    did ty longly leave the stage to tell the folks in the back room of the fire?

i could be wrong,but that was my understanding. if so,somebody ought to name an award for him.

From reading the ProJo special series they did the last people to see him alive saw him by the greenhouse windows. The ceiling was melting onto them and the group was starting to panic.

excerpt from the piece

Steven Tavares, 40, a cook from West Warwick, was stuck behind a pile of people, screaming for help and struggling for air. Smoke filled the entryway between the sets of double doors. He was only a few feet away from safety.
    "I'm going to die here," he thought.
    LINDA FISHER and Debra Wagner crouched under a table in the greenhouse area, hiding from the smoke and the crowd.
    "We'll never get out the front door," Fisher told Wagner. "We'll get crushed."
    They didn't know where to turn.
    People improvised.
    Gregory Dufour, of Coventry, kicked at a greenhouse window with his steel-toed boot. The windows were made of double thermal-pane glass; at least some were painted black. He kicked the window seven or eight times. It didn't break. Dufour picked up something -- it felt like a clay pot -- and he used it to break through.
    Dufour, 38, jumped out. Fisher, 33, of Cranston, reached her hands through the broken window and someone pulled her out.
    The Channel 12 video shows someone kicking out a panel in one of the greenhouse windows.
    Someone picked up a chair and smashed through a window, according to survivors.
    Chad Ochs, 29, stumbled in darkness through the main concert area. He had no sense of direction. "It's over for me," he thought.
    Angela Ochs, his wife, had already made it out.
    His friend, Ed Nobles, 31, was somewhere inside.
    Ochs, a technician at Electric Boat, was swept with the crowd against one of the broken windows in the greenhouse. Ochs covered his face with a jacket and burst outside.
    William Long, the manager of Trip, the band that had opened for Great White, jumped on a pool table that had been pushed against the greenhouse windows. He kicked at a window pane with his "Harley boots." It wouldn't break.
    Long, 31, was with Ty Longley, the Great White guitarist. Longley had jumped off the stage and the two friends had moved together into the greenhouse.
    "Give me your guitar," Long said. "I'll smash the window."
    The ceiling was melting and dripping on Long's back. Through a window, someone shouted:
    "Anyone in there?"
    The crowd rushed toward the window, pushing Long outside. In the parking lot, someone asked about Longley. "He's right next to me," Long said. "He was just right there."
    Andrea Stewart was knocked to the greenhouse floor. Just before the fire, Stewart had left the nightclub so her friend, Leigh Ann Moreau, could buy cigarettes. Moreau wanted to hurry back, worried she would miss Great White.
    Now, in the smoke, Stewart couldn't find Moreau.
    Stewart moved her arms, "like someone under water trying to swim to the surface." Then, she climbed out a greenhouse window.
    Theresia LaBree, 42, of Pawtucket, was running out of air. She saw a light coming from a broken window, fell against the greenhouse wall and passed out.
    John Pinkham jumped out a window. Then, he reached back inside, felt around with his hand and grabbed LaBree's leather jacket.
    He hauled her out the window and put her in a snowbank.
    Pinkham ran to the main entrance. People were wedged in a pile at the front door.
    ERIN PUCINO, of North Kingstown, was stuck in the pile. Her face was outside the main entrance. She was breathing fresh air.
    But she was trapped from the waist down in a thicket of people, jammed in the door frame.
    Twin sisters -- Lisa Ann and Cara Ann Del Sesto from Johnston -- pulled on Pucino's arms, but she did not budge.
    "We'll get you out," the twins said. "We're not gonna let go." But the metal railing prevented the Del Sestos, both 27, from getting enough leverage.
    Pucino, 25, let go of the twins and grabbed a man's tattooed arms. As he pulled, Pucino wiggled her legs. "Please keep pulling," she pleaded.
    Pucino popped free and rolled into the parking lot. She tried to stand up, but her legs were numb.
    The tug of war was frantic.
    Rescuers pulled at the limbs in the pile, as the fire roared to consume the oxygen at the main entrance. They used the metal railing to brace themselves as they pulled.
    It was getting hotter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STsFirstmate Guest
    It was a woman on fire and yes she did survive.. only to pass away from cancer in 2008. I believe her name was Catherine Sagesta.

I believe in the final report it was stated there was a window of 30 secs between those who lived and died in the front door jam. The last of those who got out through the door had loved ones by the hands and they lived and their loved ones died. 30 secs is almost no time when you consider it is a matter of life or death.
    That is amazing how small the time window was for getting out alive. It doesn't surprise me though. In both the Coconut Grove fire in Boston and the Beverly Hills Super Club fire in Ky people died sitting at their table. They never moved, never got up. They were dead in their chairs.
    You can see that by the time the video guy made it out the door the smoke was rolling out the door and fire was visable in the windows. How short a time was that??? Less than 2 minutes?
    I am always paranoid in public places and looking for the exits. I travel so much I make a habit of countng the doors between my room and the closest stairs in hotels. An NYFD fire fighter told me to do that so I can get out and go the right direction if I can't see.
    Regards,
    Mary

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    That is amazing how small the time window was for getting out alive. It doesn't surprise me though. In both the Coconut Grove fire in Boston and the Beverly Hills Super Club fire in Ky people died sitting at their table. They never moved, never got up. They were dead in their chairs.
    You can see that by the time the video guy made it out the door the smoke was rolling out the door and fire was visable in the windows. How short a time was that??? Less than 2 minutes?
    I am always paranoid in public places and looking for the exits. I travel so much I make a habit of countng the doors between my room and the closest stairs in hotels. An NYFD fire fighter told me to do that so I can get out and go the right direction if I can't see.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Mary, that firefighter gave you excellent advice. I think also knowing the exits in advance can help keep you calm and thinking clearly while you make your way out in such an emergency.

radiojane Guest
    Mary, that firefighter gave you excellent advice. I think also knowing the exits in advance can help keep you calm and thinking clearly while you make your way out in such an emergency.

I agree. The other option is to do what one little old lately who frequently stays at our location does: Refuse to sleep above the 2th floor because the bedsheets won't make a long enough rope.

That gives me full-on shivers!!! When I moved into my house, I had an alarm installed. The guy told me most companies give a 30 or 60 second interval before calling police when the alarm went off. He offered 30 or 15 seconds. I thought he was being an alarmist until he had me wait upstairs and he came in the back door and got up to my bedroom. 14 seconds! Then, he had me reset, we repeated the exercise and stood there until 30 seconds elapsed. I went for the 15 second option. Time has a funny way of speeding up and slowing down in extreme circumstances.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Regards,
    Mary

Great advice Mary. I'm going to start doing that. You always think something like that can't happen to you.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I agree. The other option is to do what one little old lately who frequently stays at our location does: Refuse to sleep above the 2th floor because the bedsheets won't make a long enough rope.
    Jane I have learned to be very speciific over the years. Not next to an elevator, first three floors, not near vending or ice machines or boiler rooms or the laundry or the pool, business center or excercise room.
    If it makes noise I have gotten stuck next to it and.....I end up next to the most amorous couples in the hotel without a doubt.
    Regards,
    Mary

My sister knows one of the surviors of this fire. If you've seen the memorial concert that was one VH-1 he's the one that comes out at the end and sings with the band who was burned real bad. The first time she met him they were in a club and needless to say the exits were the first thing he looked for when he came in.

Good advice to everyone

Gorey Guest
    Hey, Guys, just heard the other day that White Snake is on tour again in our area this summer, with Firehouse. No kidding, that's the opening act. Do I detect very poor taste here, or do I look too deeply into things??

Quote Originally Posted by Gorey View Post
    Hey, Guys, just heard the other day that White Snake is on tour again in our area this summer, with Firehouse. No kidding, that's the opening act. Do I detect very poor taste here, or do I look too deeply into things??
    White Snake wasnt playing when this happened it was Great White.
    You are not looking too deeply into things apparently.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Gorey Guest
    Ich, my hero, you're right!! I've had pneumonia the past few days and all the medications is affecting me. My stupidity. Thanks Ich. I'm going to go take a few of those blue ones now.....

41 The Movie. The Story of Nick O'Neill

I watched this last night on a local PBS station but you can download it.It's about the youngest victim of The Rhode Island Station nightclub fire. If you believe that people who have passed on still give us signs that they are still around as I do, this will amaze you. Throughout this kids whole life the number 41 kept popping up and after he died his family sees it everywhere. It's hard to explain in a post on a message board but for such a sad situation, I came away from this movie with such a feeling of almost happiness.

http://www.41themovie.com/

Seagorath Guest
    Thanks. I look forward to watching this...

Quote Originally Posted by mooches View Post
    I watched this last night on a local PBS station but you can download it.It's about the youngest victim of The Rhode Island Station nightclub fire. If you believe that people who have passed on still give us signs that they are still around as I do, this will amaze you. Throughout this kids whole life the number 41 kept popping up and after he died his family sees it everywhere. It's hard to explain in a post on a message board but for such a sad situation, I came away from this movie with such a feeling of almost happiness.

http://www.41themovie.com/

itsintheeyes Guest
    Awesome!

Bump.

Ok strange question. A ton of stuff was released on this case. Does anyone know if crime scene pics of the front doorway were ever released?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know I've seen pics - it may have been video - of the people stacked up in that front doorway like cordwood, jammed in so tight they couldn't move. It was horrific..

GrinReaper Guest
    Who knew that pyrotechnics could be so deadly?
    Bunch of sparks shooting off seem harmless.

Music acts should be based on the sound.
    Not on visual spectacle.

i was SO obsessed with this fire when it happened. i was reading fark and read it as it happened, hour by hour all night... i read all the people's biographies and still have a folder with the videos and pictures.. so sad.

i always wonder, the part in the video where the people are hanging out the front door, did they get out or die? they never really show if those particular people got pulled out on time.
    Last edited by Lush; 05-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lush View Post
    i was SO obsessed with this fire when it happened. i was reading fark and read it as it happened, hour by hour all night... i read all the people's biographies and still have a folder with the videos and pictures.. so sad.

i always wonder, the part in the video where the people are hanging out the front door, did they get out or die? they never really show if those particular people got pulled out on time.

Lush it's funny you mention that. I was thinking about freezing stills of the video and comparing the people with the faces of the deceased...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hallucinex Guest
    I knew about this but was refreshed. Read for at least an hour about this incident. I always look for exits. My fellow Atlanta, GA hags - I used to go to The Masquerade often and I was always paranoid of that place. It used to be an old mill or factory or something and where the "main" acts perform (there is also a club on the main level) is on stilts. The flooring and main building are all wood. Paranoia is always in the back of my mind! A couple of years ago the main stairwell up to the main stage COLLAPSED. Erk.

Mammy Guest
    This tragedy haunts me like no other. I cannot imagine the terror and agony of burning to death or for that to happen to someone I love. The majority of these people were close to my age. They were just out having a good time, hanging out with their friends and enjoying the music. I feel so bad for the ones who survived the fire also. Alot of them were severely burned, disfigured, missing limbs, unable to work. They also went to the concert with people who didn't make it out alive. That would be unbearable to live with. I think it was so awesome for Dee Snider to organize the benefit. It is a shame that it wasn't done sooner, but I am glad it was eventually done. It was really a horrible, preventable tragedy. I live in Kentucky and Firehouse is in Owensboro tonight. I would have liked to see them, but no way would I go to a crowded bar to see anyone. When I heard about the concert, The Station fire popped into my head immediately and I told my husband "hell no!" I will never forget what happened to these people!

lets repost the infamous video. one of the best death videos on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcr5c5YPNg&list=PL46988AAC290689F6&index=1&playnext=1

i remember this, but i guess i didn't know as much as i thought. watched the video on liveleak and had chills the whole time. oh, those screams! talk about a complete nightmare. even though i knew about this, i never really think about it when i go see bands play. but after watching that video, and reading the stories...i think it will always be on my mind now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    After I read about fires at The Station, the Coconut Grove, and the Beverly Hills Supper Club, I'm MUCH more aware of fire safety in public buildings. I locate the exits, and like Mary, I count the doors from my hotel room to the exit.

I was wondering about the photos of the doorway too...out of a sick (typical death hag) curiosity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Mammy Guest
    I remember hearing a news report just after the fire that one of the people in the doorway, near the bottom of the pile of victims, actually drowned from the fireman's water hose as he was trying to put out the flames. I haven't been able to find any reference to it in any internet stories, so I don't know if it is true. I just remember being stunned when I heard it on the news.

Jesus christ, as if burning alive or suffocating under a heap of people wasn't bad enough! Drowning from the fireman's hose? Awful!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MistressDrusilla Guest
    I'm actually not sure that anyone in that pile made it out alive once the flames got there. If you look at the video footage, it was maybe 30 seconds after the guy left the pile in the front of the building to check around back for any other survivors to when he goes back around front and that doorway and the entire front is an inferno. NO ONE would survive that, and the remains would likely have burnt to a puddle of fat and bone. Piled high or not, they would have been nothing but fuel for the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressDrusilla View Post
    I'm actually not sure that anyone in that pile made it out alive once the flames got there. If you look at the video footage, it was maybe 30 seconds after the guy left the pile in the front of the building to check around back for any other survivors to when he goes back around front and that doorway and the entire front is an inferno. NO ONE would survive that, and the remains would likely have burnt to a puddle of fat and bone. Piled high or not, they would have been nothing but fuel for the fire.

A few people did actually survive who were in the pile. Gina Gauvin was one.
    http://www.projo.com/extra/2003/stationfire/gauvin/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    A few people did actually survive who were in the pile. Gina Gauvin was one.
    http://www.projo.com/extra/2003/stationfire/gauvin/
    Thanks for posting that link, Miho. I've often wondered if anyone in that pile survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Thanks for posting that link, Miho. I've often wondered if anyone in that pile survived.

Very welcome If you are interested peek around that site. It has a TON of stories and information. Just keep the tissues handy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    It took me a long time, but I read all of the stories on that link. It is so heartbreaking for the ones who died, the ones injured, and their families. It has taken over seven years for these people to start receiving their settlement money. Many of the survivors are disabled, disfigured, unable to work, missing limbs and fingers, been through skin graphs and countless surgeries and physical therapy, trying to raise their children and survive, unable to pay their bills, all through no fault of their own. I am usually no fan of lawsuits, but these people deserve their settlements and should have got them years ago. It's just not right to make them suffer more and be stressed out about having a roof over their heads, food, and taking care of their families. Bless all of them, I have a huge soft spot for these people!

Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    It took me a long time, but I read all of the stories on that link. It is so heartbreaking for the ones who died, the ones injured, and their families. It has taken over seven years for these people to start receiving their settlement money. Many of the survivors are disabled, disfigured, unable to work, missing limbs and fingers, been through skin graphs and countless surgeries and physical therapy, trying to raise their children and survive, unable to pay their bills, all through no fault of their own. I am usually no fan of lawsuits, but these people deserve their settlements and should have got them years ago. It's just not right to make them suffer more and be stressed out about having a roof over their heads, food, and taking care of their families. Bless all of them, I have a huge soft spot for these people!
    ITA, Mammyofthree. The Derderians and Beechlee (sp?) got off with slaps on their wrists while innocent people paid the price of the stupidity of three men who allowed pyrotechnics to be detonated in The Station.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

endsleigh03 Guest
    The pileup at the door. Awful.

I met one of the severely burnt victims of this fire about a year ago. An earlier post explains how my sister knows him. He still goes to shows in clubs( I met him at a Tesla show) which I think is great. The doctors are pretty much trying to put a new face on him, nose, ears. He lost some fingers as well.
    I can honestly say that meeting him and just reading about the things he went through (his name is Joe Kinan if you do a search on him) changed me in a way. I've never met anyone who had gone through something like that.

Seagorath Guest
    The footage still haunts me...

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    The pileup at the door. Awful.
    What always chilled me where the guy walks up to the open totally empty side exit that has smoke billowing out and he keeps saying is anybody there? and there is no answer.
    I remember an interview with a passenger that survived the Air Canada plane fire in Cincinnati when I was a kid. It started from an electrical issue. The Pilot radioed that they were on fire and the plane was filled with smoke. The flight attendants and passengers unsuccessfully fought the fire.
    When it landed the chutes deployed and only a few people came down the slide. Many people died in their seats. I remember an interview with the last guy off the plane. He knew there were many people on the plane behind him but as he inched through the smoke to his turn on the chute he got an eerie feeling that no one was in line behind him.
    In the videos you see him turn and just stair at the door with smoke pouring out unbelieving clearly that he was the last man out.
    The copilot slid out and down the escape ladder from the cockpit window but the pilot passed out. You can see the co-pilot grab the fire hose and spray into the open cockpit window and it wakes up the pilot who basically falls out the window.
    The local news had time to get to the airport before the crash so there was uncharacteristically good film coverage for the times.
    http://www.pinoys.tv/video/cca7eeeb0...ada-Flight-797
    Both of these last man standing scenarios haunt me.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 12-03-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Jacksmum Guest
    There isn't a video there.

Jacksmum Guest
    Never mind, it came up.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the bulk of the patrons tried to exit 30 seconds after the fire
    began
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobeatlesleft View Post
    But it seems to me a lot of those people (who eventually died I assume) just stood around and watched the fire.
    Interesting: same phenomenon at work as in the Dimebag Darrell onstage murder, audience slow to react because they thought it all was "part of the show"!
    Last edited by StudioJoe; 12-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hallucinex View Post
    My fellow Atlanta, GA hags - I used to go to The Masquerade often and I was always paranoid of that place. It used to be an old mill or factory or something and where the "main" acts perform (there is also a club on the main level) is on stilts. The flooring and main building are all wood. Paranoia is always in the back of my mind! A couple of years ago the main stairwell up to the main stage COLLAPSED. Erk.
    Didn't know that about the stage collapse. We frequented it in the 80's when it was called the Excelsior Mill (after the packing material that used to be manufactured there). It was a gigantic pizza parlor (with live musical acts as a sideshow). There was even a huge working pipe organ an employee used to play and big sing-alongs with the diners.

Mammy Guest
    Mooches, I have read about Joe Kinan before. It is so cool that you got a chance to meet him! I can't imagine what he went through during the fire and what he lives with now. One of the survivors, Gina Russo, is writing a book about the fire. I don't know if it has been released yet. I am going to buy one when I get the chance.

I think the book came out earlier this year. I forget the name though.