Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donna Summer

I dont necessarily believe these things come in threes but just for conversation Ill put this out there. Adam Yauch died on the 13th. Donna Summer died today. Who's next?
    Funny that both Adam and Yauch were nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.
    Will it be Chaka Kahn? Robert Smith? Axel Rose?
    I hope its Axel.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I was gutted when I heard this today. I have loved this lady and her music since I was about 5 years old. I keep her greatest hits in my car and have a Donna Summer station on Pandora. She was a real class act and a true diva; Spitney Spewston couldnt hold a candle to Donna.
    Her recordings with Giorgio Moroder were so far ahead of their time and still sound amazing today:

I totally agree! While I still love Whitney and think she ruined her voice and wasted her gift, I was just thinking that Donna Summer had a better voice. Only Donna didn't have great material like Whitney. Whitney had great songs...One Moment in Time, Miracle, Didn't We Almost Have it All? Just imagine if Donna got the same material Whitney received! Plus, Donna held on to her dynamic voice and stage presence right up until the end.

Great article about the release of "I Feel Love":

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...racks_1009.htm

"Heard about your death today on the radio...woah-oh...on the radio!"

Donna had great material. IMHO Spitneys sappy ballads were uninspired schlock - the end result of a staid record industries hit machine factory line - boring crap massmarketed with an entire industry controlled by a few individuals who decide what will become hits through undue influence over radio and video playlists ovursaturation marketing product availabilty and chart manipulation techniques. Shitknees great voice was nothing more than easy money for the people who made hundreds times more from the recordings than Witless ever did. She was product and nothing else. Her music was neither groundbreaking nor meaningdull. Her whole identity as a person as manufactured product was so complete that without manipulation from her handlers her product/life became nothing more than refuse - her lifes work defined by the discarded decaying packaging or rather the empty shell that contained what was once a desirable consumer item. She maintained no integrity. Her life was nothing more than a documentary on the intricacies of garbage and waste disposal. Donna was groundbreaking and inspiring. Her sound and voice was fresh and invigorating - hearing her 12 inchers was like mainlining a methamphetamine based designer drug. She was praised by by highly esteemed contemporaries such as Brian Eno and Deborah Harry. Her estimated sales may not outnumber Withfleas due to the time period, the popularity of 12 inch singles, the rapid close succession of releases and inaccurate reporting of point of sale purchases but her estimated sales of 130 million records worldwide compared to Clitsqueeze 170 million makes a strong statement esp when considering the afforementioned variables. Donna was never chewed up and spit out by a machine like Whitney. She may have fell out of favor but she never compromised herself or her integrity. Her album of songs and music cowritten by herself foregoing disco for a more rockish and new wave sound yielded a minor hit but was an insult to her record label demanding conformity to a corporate formula. This was soon after her refusal to release risque dance singles that clashed with her increasingly important religious morals. Apart from a few sporadic hit MOR singles her singing career was overshadowed by her devotion to her family - rather than a devotion to Peruvian Flake that was a major part of Sniffmes career derailment. There really is no valid comparison of the consumer popularity or artistic integrity between Donna and Splitpea. Donna is an heirloom and Flippedweave is landfill.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Forever-27 Guest
    This poster came inside her On The Radio Volume 1 and 2 vinyl 2 record set. Made me laugh since she insisted her album come with step by step disco dancing instructions. I have mine somewhere.

Kinda weird that Donna Summer and Kiss were on the same record company label.... Casablanca Records

Last edited by Forever-27; 05-17-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    I dont necessarily believe these things come in threes but just for conversation Ill put this out there. Adam Yauch died on the 13th. Donna Summer died today. Who's next?
    Funny that both Adam and Yauch were nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.
    I hope its Axel.

I volunteer Mariah. If she goes, I promise I will be in church every Sunday for the remainder of my years. Amen.

I hate to admit but I was in my 20's during the disco era. I was not much of a disco fan but that lady was something special and soooooooooooooo sexy. Shame to die so young.

jabnola Guest
    As a young Gay youth of the 1970"s Donna Summer was everywhere, and everything to us. like a bad flashback I can still remember what i did, what i thought , and who i loved, with every hit song she sang. But that era is gone now. All my loved ones from the 1970's and 80's died of AIDS. Donna Summer turned her back on us, and left us to suffer in salience thanks in part to her Christin beliefs at that time. So that whole era is gone now, The people, the places, and the sounds are all gone. Donna Summers, and my loved ones will always be a part of my life. But life go's on for the living... R.I.P Donna Summer

RIP Miss Summer

[SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    Anybody ever see her in the movie "Thank God It's Friday"? I remember the skatery where I hung out at back in the day would play "Last Dance" as the final song of the night.
    Um, are you from the suburbs of Chicago? Our roller rink did the same ass thing with "Last Dance"...it was always slightly jarring because all the other music was live pipe organ...crrrrrreeeeeeak I'm old...
    RIP Disco Queen.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

deathhaghun Guest
    She was one talented lady. All my childhood singers are going too soon RIP Donna

PurrPurr Guest
    I heard Donna passed away the same afternoon I'd made a YouTube video using "Hot Stuff." 63 is way too young to go these days. She was a born again Christian after battling depression.

RIP to the Queen of Disco.

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    I just read she thought she got lung cancer from inhaling toxins after 9/11,after which she became very depressed.So sad ....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...na-Summer.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    I didn't think it was necessary for The Sun to include all those pics of the 9/11 in there. One would have been sufficient - talk about over-kill!

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I didn't think it was necessary for The Sun to include all those pics of the 9/11 in there. One would have been sufficient - talk about over-kill!
    Everybody loves a 9/11 Grief Orgy. Just look at the US..... 11 years in and every anniversary it begins again. :rollseyes:

-------------------------

I noticed the article on TMZ said Donna was a smoker. I wonder for how long, etc. The way they described it, there may have been some mental issues going on as well. Perhaps a case of OCD. http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/18/donna-...yc/?adid=hero1

I had the 45 of Last Dance - I played it over and over again until I had to replace the needle on my record player.

Another part of the soundtrack to my youth is gone.

RIP Donna - sing God a tune that he'll never forget.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

loved her. Was very sad when I read she died. I grew up on her music, like andy gibbs, and it seems ppl i grew up are gone or going. sad. sad.
    oh, and I loved her christmas music! she was so awesome. RIP Donna

SamiBamBam Guest
    Like quite a few ppl on here I too didn't know she was sick. Does anyone know how long she had cancer before she lost her battle with it? I loved her music. She will be missed. RIP LaDonna. (her real first name)

mike1975 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SamiBamBam View Post
    Like quite a few ppl on here I too didn't know she was sick. Does anyone know how long she had cancer before she lost her battle with it? I loved her music. She will be missed. RIP LaDonna. (her real first name)
    From what i have heard was only diagnosed with it 10 months ago...... not very long at all....

I saw somewhere it was 10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Um, are you from the suburbs of Chicago? Our roller rink did the same ass thing with "Last Dance"...it was always slightly jarring because all the other music was live pipe organ...crrrrrreeeeeeak I'm old...
    RIP Disco Queen.
    *g* Nope, the suburbs of Canton, OH. We didn't have the pipe organ, but there was a lot of disco played there!
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Fujicakes Guest
    I hope its Axel.
    I laughed a lot harder than I should have.

Sam Guest
    I'm very, very, very sad that she died. I LOVED her. But how many people in NYC breathed fumes from the WTC? How can they say that caused her cancer?

Sam Guest
    Donna Summer was convinced -- inhaling toxic air after 9/11 gave her the lung cancer that eventually killed her ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the singer tell TMZ what we were hearing this morning -- that Donna was in New York City during 9/11, living at an apartment near Ground Zero.

Donna became almost paranoid about breathing the air, which was heavy with a rancid odor.

In the months and years following 9/11, Donna's feelings intensified. One source tells us when he was around Donna, she would constantly spray some sort of disinfectant in the air. Deney Terrio, the host of "Dance Fever," tells us ... when he was around Donna post 9/11, she would hang silk sheets in her dressing room to prevent dust from coming in.

And one source says ... Donna, who was a fervent practicing Christian, believed 9/11 was an attack on Christianity and in some metaphysical way Christians like her were targets. She somehow felt that her illness was a byproduct of the attack.

And, we're told, after Donna was diagnosed with lung cancer, several people told her that cigarette smoke may have been the culprit -- she was a smoker, and she also frequented clubs where people smoked. But Donna simply didn't buy it.

Apparently Ms. Summer didn't believe that Americans (and anyone else who happened to be in the area) of many other religious persuasions were not victims/targets of 9/11?

What about the surviving rescuers (and escapees from the WTC and neighborhood) of all faiths? Many have fallen ill, many more have not (as yet, anyway.)

And that, having smoked and been exposed to smoke from her earliest youth, THAT was not more likely to have caused her cancer?

Then all the rest of my respect for her, compared to WH, has just evaporated.
    Last edited by Linnie; 05-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.

I hope its Axel.
    Sadly it is Robin Gibb. Two disco legends within a week. So heartbreaking. RIP Donna and Robin.
    I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure. ~ Clarence Darrow

lisalouver Guest
    Was bummed when I heard the news about Donna.

As a child in the 70's, I loved disco and she was just about the queen of it.

I loved Thank God its Friday!

Although it is possible that her cancer came from breathing the air after 9/11, she was a singer and spent many years singing in clubs, bars, etc filled with smoke (like Christopher Reeves wife Dana)

Either way, she will be missed.

Forever-27 Guest
    They did a small blip on cbs news on her dying. Is she being buried or cremated ?

She was passed over by a lot of outlets. She won many grammies and was one of VH1s divas.

Rest in peace Ms Sommer. I love She Works Hard for the money and Love to Love you

Stomped Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    They did a small blip on cbs news on her dying. Is she being buried or cremated ?
    Donna Summer was laid to rest in a private funeral ceremony on Monday in Nashville, Tennessee, according to statements made to the press by Summer's publicist, Brian Edwards.

Some of the most fun I had dancing with my friends were to Miss Summer's songs...such a voice!!!! The true loss of one of the greats!!!! rip
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    I knew she wanted into the rock n roll hall of fame. I guess this was one hell of a way of getting in.

RIP Simma Down Now.

http://glennrivera.multiply.com/vide..._Burger_Castle

Yeah, you know I was reading yesterday how Elton John was saying she was robbed not getting into the Hall of Fame. I guess I kinda figured she was in it... (I have no idea what I joined, but every time Elton John breathes, they e-mail me. I find it strangely comforting).

Anyway, whether you loved her music or hated it, it was a staple when I was coming up. God how many times did I skate to her music... and when I hear it now, it takes me right back to when feathered-back hair was awesome and well, so was music like this.

Godspeed, talented lady. You got my generation onto the dance floor every time you sang, no matter how tired we were or what time we had to be home. We didn't know it then, but those were the best times of our lives. And every time I hear you "on the radio," it puts me right back to that time, even if just for a moment. What a beautiful legacy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Her private funeral services are tomorrow in Nashville, TN. Hopefully there will be some (open) casket pics that emerge!

Forever-27 Guest
    I remember in grade school, going to roller world and they'd play her music as I roller skate around the rink in the mid 70s.

" I feel love "..... a awsome song to roller skate to

I absolutely loved Donna Summer! When I was a bit of a disco queen myself, sorry kitty, they would play 'Last Dance' at the end of the night, and omg, that dance floor would fill right up! She was beautiful, a fabulous singer and may she rest in peace...........
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

LoriLynn Guest
    Any word of whether or not this was an open casket?

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I remember in grade school, going to roller world and they'd play her music as I roller skate around the rink in the mid 70s.

" I feel love "..... a awsome song to roller skate to
    I know! Somehow the first thing I remembered was hearing her at the skating rink. I was telling my son, who's 15, about how we'd go and how they'd have these awesome lights and all this, and he has this bemused look on his face while I was talking, so I go, "What?" And he says, "So... you skated in what, a circle?" And I says, "Well, it was more of an oval really..." and he's like, "Just 'round and 'round, all night?" "Well yeah." And he gives me this look that says, "Do you know how lame that sounds?

I got it then. He with his skateboard at the skate park, down every dangerous street in the country, down staircase rails, I mean he just dances on that thing everywhere he goes.

Okay, so we skated in an oval for a few hours. But I'll tell you what, our music, it was better. Maybe his generation's got the better technology and safer cars and maybe we didn't have the Internet built into our phones/cameras/credit-card sized wonders.

But our music, yeah. It was better. And maybe the idea of a roomful of teenagers skating indoors seems a little lame compared to the options available today. But you know, when the right guy finally asked you to skate that couples' skate and the lights were just right and the music seemed to come from everywhere, it was absolutely magic. And I wouldn't trade those memories for all the gadgets in the world.

/get off my lawn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guest
    I always thought she was so beautiful, but my brother thought she looked like a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I always thought she was so beautiful, but my brother thought she looked like a squirrel.
    This one gal I worked with thought she looked like a baby calf in the face...

Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    IBut you know, when the right guy finally asked you to skate that couples' skate and the lights were just right and the music seemed to come from everywhere, it was absolutely magic. And I wouldn't trade those memories for all the gadgets in the world
    Wow - you just brought back very fond memories of my youth that I had long forgotten. Thanks for that.

My pleasure, graver.

There are lots of things that bring us back to a time and place like seeing old friends or hangouts, even scents can bring a strong remembrance of times long gone.

But for me, it's always been the music. I can hear a song and know exactly where I was and what I was doing when it was popular. And although I'm not sure why, sometimes when I hear a song from a particularly great period of time in my life, it's somehow more difficult to listen to than those that remind me of the hard times. Maybe it's because I realize I can never get those moments back any more than we can retrieve a first kiss (or a first "couples skate.")

Reminds me of a Simon and Garfunkel song that goes, "Time it was and what a time it was, it was..."
    And you know, it certainly was.
    I'm so grateful to every artist who put that time to music for us. And although it hurts when they pass away like this, we keep them alive through memories like these.

Now, all skate and please skate carefully!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hate to say it, but Scott's "tribute" to Donna on his FAD main death page is a big disappointment...

I wonder if they played "Last Dance" at the end of her funeral?
    My Posse's On Broadway

deathhaghun Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    I wonder if they played "Last Dance" at the end of her funeral?
    I think TMZ had the funeral programme. On her tribute site they wanted everyone to download Last Dance on the day of her funeral.

Forever-27 Guest
    I knew id find it, had to sift through my crates of albums. Inside my 2 record set, On the Radio Volumes 1 and 2, was the poster I put up before. Also whomever got this new ( I bought the set used ) didnt know how to disco dance.

They cut out dancing instructions from the San Franciosco Examiner newspaper. I think its funny someone would do this so Ive kept them rather then throw them out. The newspaper paper clippings are dated Wednesday November 29 and wednesday November 8th both of 1978 . In the lower left cornor pic you may see the 12 inch of her Love to Love you baby, its a 18 minute version of the song.

History is so funny like that. Recomended practice music according to the newspaper is Donna Summer's Love to Love you Baby and How Much How Much I love you, by Love and Kisses.

Forever-27 Guest

one-eyed jack Guest
    So sad. she supposedly stopped smoking years ago, but I do remember her in her heyday using it as a prop. Not that 9-11 had nothing to do with it, smoky clubs, weed, car exhaust, you name it. Different world today. all business buildings used to spit out plumes of black smoke all day, cars had dark exhaust, etc. No more. She was 'the stuff' in her time.

Not too bad. Altho Whitney Houston's still stands as the best version ever done of the SSB...