Thread: William Hopper - Perry Mason

Danny62 Guest

William Hopper - Perry Mason

Best known and loved by his fans as "Paul Drake" on the hugely popular Perry Mason television series (1957-1966), William DeWolf Hopper Jr. was born in New York City, the son of movie actress-turned-gossip-columnist Hedda Hopper and the legendary Broadway actor William DeWolf Hopper, who was 32 years her senior. Hopper's parents began making films around the time of his birth and he received his first film credit as an infant in a baby carriage in the 1916 film Sunshine Dad. Following their divorce in 1922, Hedda continued performing on film, stage and radio into the late 30's, when she became prominent in her second career as a Hollywood gossip columnist. In the meantime her son had grown into a tall (6'4") handsome young man who she encouraged to sign a contract with Paramount in 1935 at the age of 20. As his estranged father had died by this time, he started out with the stage name of DeWolf Hopper Jr. Young Hopper languished in bit parts at Paramount, but after moving to Warner Bros. in 1937, he was able to get some leading roles in second features such as Over the Goal (1937; with June Travis) and Mystery House (1938; with Ann Sheridan). He was soon back to bit parts and supporting roles, but he did manage to appear in such all-time classics as Stagecoach (1939), Knute Rockne, All American (1940), Santa Fe Trail (1940) and The Maltese Falcon (1941). He kept working during the early years of World War II, but in due course entered the armed forces. Upon his return in 1945, Hopper turned his back on Hollywood to become a car salesman, a profession he stayed with until 1954, when he resumed his show business career with a role as "Roy" in the John Wayne adventure The High and the Mighty, now calling himself William Hopper. Other film credits in the fifties included roles as "Dr. George Fenton" in Conquest of Space (1955), as Judy's father in Rebel Without a Cause (1955), as "Col. Kenneth Penmark" in The Bad Seed (1956), and as "Col. Robert Calder" in 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957). In 1957 he reached the pinnacle of his career with his performance of the "Paul Drake" role in the Perry Mason television series, where he had second billing to Raymond Burr. Hopper was nominated for an Emmy in the category of Best Supporting Actor in a Dramatic Series for his work in Perry Mason in 1959. He settled into semi-retirement following the end of the Perry Mason series and the death of his mother in 1966. His final film role was as "Judge Frederic D. Cannon" in Myra Breckinridge (1970).

Jan 26, 1915-Mar 6, 1970

I real liked him on Perry Mason.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phirerednga Guest
    I liked everything about Perry Mason. Every actor and actress, it was just a great show period.

hey
    note the cigarette he always had. hell, between him, william talman, and ray collins they all died of smoking related illnesses within five years of the show ending. with all the smoking the set must have smelled like a freakin ashtray!

on imdb they state that the reason william hopper's hair turned white was the stress he endured as a navy frogman during ww2. with his mom, Hedda Hopper, pull he could have gotten a cush job in the military but he wanted to fight.
    damn, how many of us could say that if put in the same position.

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    Was he ever married?

unihikid Guest
    didnt he also play natalies dad in rebel?

NOVSTORM Guest
    He was married once and had a step child but none of his own. I always thought dennis hopper was his kid roflmao

A rumor that I had heard about is that he was gay and was dating the guy who played the prosecutor on Perry Mason.

doc101 Guest
    I am doing some research on William Hopper and trying to find out if he has any living heirs. I could use any info that might help me. Gettin a copy of his death cert might help.

Rick

dovescry1999 Guest
    I always thought he was a handsome man...
    Of course, if the gay rumor is true, it would not suprise me. I seem to be attracted to gay men...

I'm glad I saw this. I just saw him in Rebel last week and was curious about him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Quote Originally Posted by doc101 View Post
    I am doing some research on William Hopper and trying to find out if he has any living heirs. I could use any info that might help me. Gettin a copy of his death cert might help.

Rick
    I know that he had a daughter named JOAN. (Grandmother) HEDDA was crazy about her & doted on her bigtime ! Yes, BILL HOPPER was supposedly gay. I do not know of that with any certainty. Now, on the flip side the daughter of his mother's great nemesis (LOUELLA PARSONS) was also supposedly lesbian. Both columnists were careful to always praise the work of the other's children in filmdom.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

bunny Guest
    WHAT I DID NOT KNOW HE WAS HEDDAS SON....oh my god I must have been in my ditch too long

YUM! loved him in "the bad seed".
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

bunny Guest
    I loved the Perry Mason show...when he would call Della beautiful...he was classy

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    I loved the Perry Mason show...when he would call Della beautiful...he was classy
    I loved Perry Mason; Hopper was my second favorite character after Della Street...I thought she was HOT!!!

I liked Lt. Tragg; as well.

I've read some of Earl Stanley Gardner's (SP?) Perry Mason books; they are much better than the T.V. show; just IMO.

God, I haven't thought about this stuff in eons!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Jas Guest
    Perry Mason was good

gemini33 Guest
    Ugh, of course Raymond Burr was gay, please don't say William Hopper was!?

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Hey, I luved luved luved the Perry Mason shows! I watched them as a kid and now have dvd's!!! I luv Della also - after watching that show I always wanted to be a secretary - and hey I am!

I agree - anyone hurts an animal - I would have to hurt them...
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    YUM! loved him in "the bad seed".
    His role was really small. He leaves his wife & daughter at the beginning of the movie & returns at the very end when CHRISTINE is in the hospital after attempting (a) murder/suicide.

" What would you give me for a basket of kisses ? "
    " I'd give you a basket of hugs............."
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

you know, the thing that also impressed me was that as the son of a famous person he could have had 'an easy' war behind the lines or doing Special Services touring Stateside military installations. Instead he was a navy frogman and did underwater demo work against the enemy.
    in the IMDB they state"
    "Prior to being a Navy frogman doing underwater demolition in the pacific during WW2 his hair was dark blonde, the stress of the danger turned it permanently white."

I loved him as Paul Drake. And man, watching him and the rest on Perry Mason is just one big smokefest. That studio must have just reeked of Winstons...unfiltered no doubt!

radiojane Guest
    My god he was good looking.......... I love to look at that boy, let me tell ya!

Anti-smoking commercial

Here is William Talman in a non-smoking commercial - he was already dying of lung cancer. Did not start to run on tv until after his death.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjRkpge-jk
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

"the bad seed" is on tonight. though his role is small, i find him very handsome! love this movie!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

ShockDoc Guest
    Anybody but me ever notice that Perry Mason and Perry White (Adventures of Superman TV show w George Reeves) had the same office?

Guest Guest
    Liked him in 'Mystery House' with Ann Sheridan.

Hulu.com has many episodes of Perry Mason available. Great shows!

radiojane Guest
    GAWD HE WAS SEXY!!!

Ymmm.

Bessolo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    Anybody but me ever notice that Perry Mason and Perry White (Adventures of Superman TV show w George Reeves) had the same office?
    Never noticed that, but only because they didn't both have the same office. Where or how did you come to that conclusion? Do you have any pix to corroberate that? Perry White's office went through 2 major revisions but both are quite similar...the woodgrain on the walls, the doorknobs and the chairs are the main differences...not to mention numerous phone and intercoms over the years...but the fiberglass panels in the windows and the industrial landscape painting remain the same. Nah, I haven't noticed much about the Superman show LOL!!

Back to the subject of this thread...has anyone noticed that the early episodes WH is much thinner and darker haired and then the following season he's chunked up and gone completely white? He also features, how can I put this? "Manscaping" about the eyes Can't help but wonder if he had some surgery de plastique etc. Always enjoyed his performances regardless and kudos to his service during the war. RIP William

Avondale46 Guest

William Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    Was he ever married?
    Yes, he was married twice, first in 1940 to actress Jane Gilbert, with whom he had a daughter Joan. Divorced about 20 years later and remarried soon to a woman named Jan and had a stepson.

Avondale46 Guest

William Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    He was married once and had a step child but none of his own. I always thought dennis hopper was his kid roflmao
    t

Dennis Hopper was his second cousin. They had the same great-grandfather, famous abolitionist Isaac Tatem Hopper, b. 1771.

Avondale46 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    Ugh, of course Raymond Burr was gay, please don't say William Hopper was!?
    I really don't think he was gay. He was married to actress Jane Gilbert at age 25, had daughter Joan. The marriage lasted about 20 years. After the divorce he remarried quickly to a woman named Jan and was married to her till his death in 1970. So why do we think he was gay? Nothing at all against gays, I just don't think Hopper was. Nancy S.

Avondale46 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    "the bad seed" is on tonight. though his role is small, i find him very handsome! love this movie!
    Handsomest man in the world!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    hey
    note the cigarette he always had. hell, between him, william talman, and ray collins they all died of smoking related illnesses within five years of the show ending. with all the smoking the set must have smelled like a freakin ashtray!

on imdb they state that the reason william hopper's hair turned white was the stress he endured as a navy frogman during ww2. with his mom, Hedda Hopper, pull he could have gotten a cush job in the military but he wanted to fight.
    damn, how many of us could say that if put in the same position.
    Hopper was hospitalized on February 14, 1970, after a stroke at his home in Yucca Valley, California, and was transferred to a hospital in Palm Springs when pneumonia developed. He died of a heart attack on March 6 at age 55

Avondale46 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Chunk View Post
    Hey, I luved luved luved the Perry Mason shows! I watched them as a kid and now have dvd's!!! I luv Della also - after watching that show I always wanted to be a secretary - and hey I am!

I agree - anyone hurts an animal - I would have to hurt them...
    Barbara Hale, Joan Hopper, wherever you are, if you're reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE write your memoirs!

Quote Originally Posted by Avondale46 View Post
    Yes, he was married twice, first in 1940 to actress Jane Gilbert, with whom he had a daughter Joan. Divorced about 20 years later and remarried soon to a woman named Jan and had a stepson.
    Guess he didn't want to buy new monogrammed towels.

Ed Stanley Guest
    Many rumors of Drake being gay and even having brief affair with Burr....Anyone ?

Cole Porter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Stanley View Post
    Many rumors of Drake being gay and even having brief affair with Burr....Anyone ?

Burr a no brainer here, however Hopper remains the mystery....may have tried it a few times? Don't ask Tragg, will get t wrong.....

Ed Stanley Guest
    Tragg may have gone both ways according to some sources.......Only Lt on force used to love his pot.

Miss W Guest
    Perry Mason marathon happening as we speak on the Hallmark Channel. Love me some Paul Drake! Hot and handsome. Never heard anything about him being gay though. Everybody knows Raymond Burr was,but don't know about William Hopper. These days, it wouldn't be a big deal,but in the 50's it would have been a huge problem for a television star. Of course,seeing as he was married to wife # 1 for 20 years and then married another woman,I'm kind of thinking the gay rumors were just that,rumors. I mean,Rock Hudson's studio arranged marriage was brief and then he never married again and some others just remained lifelong "bachelors" so the "gay" thing may have been wishful thinking on the part of some dudes that had crushes on him.

Ed Stanley Guest
    Sources seem credible. Who knows ? Did you figure Spencer Tracy to play for the pink team. Who knows what went on then . New info coming in every day

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Stanley View Post
    Sources seem credible. Who knows ? Did you figure Spencer Tracy to play for the pink team. Who knows what went on then . New info coming in every day
    Info from where?
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD