Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    I'm sorry if you're offended but I do think it's stupid that I--someone who has grown up around guns, knows how to handle them, and has a license to own--could not walk into a shop and purchase one for my own safety at my own leisure in your country. That's my right.

Oh, and this happened in Scotland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre Fairly recently actually. But you guys don't have anyone shooting up schools. Ha.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...e-2038430.html

Setting a good example for us baddies here in the US! We're so violent.

Scatter Guest
    That's just not cricket!! Not cricket at all!!

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Buahahahaha.

tophat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    As someone living in the UK I find that remark not only offensive but its also stupid. We have hardly any gun crime here....you know why cos we cant just go into a shop and buy one. Yes we have violent crime and yes we fight tooth and nail to protect us and ours but we dont all need guns to do it. Our kids dont have access to them either....we dont have any of our kids shooting up schools...yea im sure there are guns on the black market infact I know there is but because of our 'stupid gun laws' we hardly come across the type of situation that poor Trayvon found himself in.
    Discod - same situation goes for Denmark, where I live.

The only people who have guns are Hells Angels and criminals. They shoot each other - it is very rare that average joes are gunned down here.

Hunters can have guns but they need to keep them locked up in secure lockers. In order to get a permit for a gun, you have to pass a test as hunter and people with a criminal record or mental issues does not get a permit at all.

Scatter Guest
    People with a criminal record don't APPLY for gun permits. See, they don't follow the law. Because they're criminals.

discod Guest
    and now you're just being vile and that was an adult 16 years ago....I never said we NEVER have them...we dont have them every dam summer and we definitley dont have children doing it. As for cricket cant stand it....everyone is entitled to their opinion and the catty remarks are not needed.
    Yes you may deserve the right to go and buy a gun because that is what you know.....still doesn't stop the loons and trigger happy nutters getting their hands on them though does it

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University_shooting Shooting at a school in Denmark. Don't think it was Hells Angels though.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    and now you're just being vile and that was an adult 16 years ago....I never said we NEVER have them...we dont have them every dam summer and we definitley dont have children doing it. As for cricket cant stand it....everyone is entitled to their opinion and the catty remarks are not needed.
    Yes you may deserve the right to go and buy a gun because that is what you know.....still doesn't stop the loons and trigger happy nutters getting their hands on them though does it
    If you think I'm vile, I'm afraid you're in for a sad little life. And just because loons can get their hands on guns doesn't mean I, and others like me, shouldn't be able to--and if you think it does mean that, give me a thought-out, valid reason why.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Come on, firearms supporters! I know I'm not the only one! Lock and load!

Scatter Guest
    Locked and loaded!! I made a special effort to paint the interior of my home with quality paint so the brains of intruders will be easier to wash off. Because I don't expect criminals to follow the law and not have guns themselves. Or stay the hell out of my house. Because they're criminals.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    I know, right? Who would have guessed criminals don't have much regard for gun laws...or any laws! And my walls are splattered with red paint, so I'm prepared. It will just become part of the decor.

radiojane Guest
    You're quite right Discod, you won't get shot. In the UK you'll just get knifed.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

It's less the laws than the CULTURE. Guns are ingrained into the brains of US citizens from a very early age. They're constantly reminded of their right to bear arms. They're in every movie. On another thread here there are people who talk of high school kids with gun racks on their trucks and girls being given pistols by their daddies for safety. They're the weapon of choice because they're foremost on the brain. It's not the laws. People get around that very easily. It's a mindset. They're taught that their constitution allows them the right to protect themselves with a gun. So they use them.

We're pretty liberal with guns here in Canada too, but it's nothing like south of the border. I drive 20 minutes and cross the line at Portal and it's a whole different world. A gun filled one.
    Last edited by radiojane; 03-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.

The gun issue with me is hard. I can go into any shop here in Arizona, show my drivers License and get a gun. My ex who always carried a 45 on him, was supposed to be with me the night I was shot. Something came up, and I told him to go ahead and go and I would meet him later. Otherwise, he wouldve been there with me when I was hurt. I cant help but think, with his training, being in the marines, and having a family of law officers, if he was there that nite, with his 45, could he have saved me? I think he could have. And it killed him that the one nite he wasnt with me, I got hurt. I also have had a gun, and think about getting another everyday to keep here for safety. I have had some training, but I would like to go thru the concealed weapons courses. I understand the other side of not wanting guns at all. But I also see the need for them too.

lisalouver Guest
    All gun BS aside, As radio already said, Zimmerman was an accident waiting to happen. He has a criminal record, so why does he have a gun permit? Either way, he would have gotten one anyway. He fancied himself some sort of hobby cop because the police academy wouldnt take him.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    You're quite right Discod, you won't get shot. In the UK you'll just get knifed.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

It's less the laws than the CULTURE. Guns are ingrained into the brains of US citizens from a very early age. They're constantly reminded of their right to bear arms. They're in every movie. On another thread here there are people who talk of high school kids with gun racks on their trucks and girls being given pistols by their daddies for safety. They're the weapon of choice because they're foremost on the brain. It's not the laws. People get around that very easily. It's a mindset. They're taught that their constitution allows them the right to protect themselves with a gun. So they use them.

We're pretty liberal with guns here in Canada too, but it's nothing like south of the border. I drive 20 minutes and cross the line at Portal and it's a whole different world. A gun filled one.

Beautifully said, as usual. It very much is a cultural thing. Believe it or not, I have been stabbed. Would not wish that on anyone. I feel like a gunshot would be preferable.

Belle, I know exactly where you're coming from. While I wasn't shot, my house was broken into and the man that did it did have a gun with him. It was one of the most terrifying nights of my life. I truly believe the only reason that man fled my house without harming me is because I surprised him with a shot gun.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    All gun BS aside, As radio already said, Zimmerman was an accident waiting to happen. He has a criminal record, so why does he have a gun permit? Either way, he would have gotten one anyway. He fancied himself some sort of hobby cop because the police academy wouldnt take him.
    Great point, Lisa, and thanks for getting us back on topic. He does have a criminal record--and a violent one at that. He should never have been in possession of a firearm.

Scatter Guest
    Dude's life is OVER, no matter what the outcome. If he isn't tried for the shooting, some Black Panther loser is going to off him. If he's exonerated, same thing. If he goes to prison, it's too horrible to contemplate.

radiojane Guest
    That's what's soooooo frustrating about this case. The guy fucked up on a million levels. You have him dead bang on SEVERAL screw ups. Why the hell are we making such a shit show out of this?

Wow. Potty mouth today. I need some coffee.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    I encourage everyone to have a potty mouth. They'd feel a lot less tense! And you both make good points. GZ is screwed, no matter what. I guess if people sat back and realized that there wouldn't be such an uproar. He will either get killed on the street as a free man or in prison.

Folks, everyone has the right to their own opinion and unless it breaks the rules it is appreciated here. Cool down and move on.
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Noted.

tophat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalHeadBettie View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University_shooting Shooting at a school in Denmark. Don't think it was Hells Angels though.
    No - this was a 35 old man - he had gotten a mental illness. He was a loner and he shot some other students before he killed himself.

it's 18 years ago - we have never had youngsters shooting in highscools like in certain other countries where children learn that lethal weapons are a common thing to own in a household.

Of cause we have crimes but most shooting incidents are done by criminals - or like in your example : a person who suffers from mental illness and gets hold of an illegal weapon.

That 18 year old case is the only mass murderer in newer history. I guess the Vikings killed more at once

we have between 80 and 100 homicides a year here - mostly done inside families.

The Hells Angels and the rivaling gangs out of young immigrants tend to kill each other too, but that is mostly drug related.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Tophat, do you find that other forms of violent crime like stabbing and bludgeoning occur more often where you're from? Kind of like Jane pointed out in her post above.

radiojane Guest
    Yes you only have 80 to 100 homicides, but that 's with a population of only about 6 mil. So while its a good stat, you have to look at the percentages. The US crime rate is definitely higher, but you have to put the numbers in context.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Exactly! Valid point.

tophat Guest
    Tophat, do you find that other forms of violent crime like stabbing and bludgeoning occur more often where you're from? Kind of like Jane pointed out in her post above.
    Stabbing does occur from time to time. Mostly between youngsters in the nightlife. I must say though that the new knife law we got here in DK have taken the top of those crimes. When the cops sees a person carrying a knife or having one in the car, the knife owner will be put in jail for a week.

Most of the people that used to bring a knife - just in case do not really want to get a week behind bars and get a stained record that can make it very hard to get a job afterwards.

I must say though that most violence here is due to abuse of drugs or alcohol.

We have a new problem with gangs from Russia and Eastern Europe that robs people in their homes. They are far more brutal than danish crimials.

A Danish burglar will try his very best to break in when no one is home. IF by mistake someone is home he will in 99 percent of the cases just run away.

The foreign gangs will come in the middle of the night, threaten to kill, and force the victims to come forward with whatever they have of value.

they might beat the victims up and threaten with a knife or bat or maybe a gun. They will very often tie the victims up in order to escape before the victims can call for help. Victims have been severely beaten up too.

discod Guest
    Just watched Dateline about this case and it seems Zimmerman has alot of mixed race friends but does this prove he cant be racist......hard nut to crack at the moment this case xx

TheMysterian Guest
    Come on, firearms supporters! I know I'm not the only one! Lock and load!
    I just love "those people" who would love to take away another freedom granted to all Americans under the Constitution! I'm a gun owner and trained to use them, above all I'm a law abiding citizen! You want my guns?........ Come and try to take them! "[SIZE=4]Defenseless citizens are more easily turned into victims "[/SIZE]

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    I'm pretty good friends with a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi and I'm mixed race. He is really violent about his rhetoric at times, but he still likes to hang out with me--as well as another mixed race girl, Maya. I don't know why he likes us other than we're part white and he thinks we're attractive, but that's not the point. The point is that you can still be racist even if you're friends are mixed race. Jake always says I get a "free pass" because I have super light eyes and I'm "cool". But I think that if he was a hobby cop like GZ and saw an unfamiliar Native American wandering his neighborhood, things might end badly.

I am locked, loaded, and armed to the teeth. And just for clarification some people with a criminal history can still get a permit. Atleast here. You have to be a non violent offender, stay out of trouble for some time, and apply for a record sweep. This can restore your rights to vote and in some cases bare arms. I personally own 12 guns. Most are for hunting which I don't do but some are for serious business. I'm not looking for trouble but trouble would do well to not find me.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    I am locked, loaded, and armed to the teeth. And just for clarification some people with a criminal history can still get a permit. Atleast here. You have to be a non violent offender, stay out of trouble for some time, and apply for a record sweep. This can restore your rights to vote and in some cases bare arms. I personally own 12 guns. Most are for hunting which I don't do but some are for serious business. I'm not looking for trouble but trouble would do well to not find me.

See, I agree with this completely. As long as you have a non-violent history and a clean record, you should be allowed a gun. IMHO you should also have to complete gun training courses, and maybe even have to take one periodically to retain your right to a firearm.

radiojane Guest
    You can be as free as you want. Provided you a)don't commit a crime and automatically VOID this right and b) don't whine when you either get shot with your own gun because you didn't know what the hell you were doing, or if you or someone you know ends up taking the life of someone else because in your zeal to exercise your right to defend yourself you failed to exercise common sense. The latter appears to be what happened in this case.

tophat Guest
    Yes you only have 80 to 100 homicides, but that 's with a population of only about 6 mil. So while its a good stat, you have to look at the percentages. The US crime rate is definitely higher, but you have to put the numbers in context.
    I am pretty sure that USA crime rates and DK crime rates are not at all comparable. The society and culture is so completely different.

But even though we have had more crimes, the homicide count has been pretty stable for years...

radiojane Guest
    I know they're not. But I just wanted to throw in your population so that there was some sort of comparative base.

tophat Guest
    I know they're not. But I just wanted to throw in your population so that there was some sort of comparative base.
    Radiojane I think this can give a clue about homicide rates : http://chartsbin.com/view/1454

some numbers : Denmark : 1.4 homicides per 100.000 poplulation....

England : 1.57 Homicides pr. 100.000 population

More on statistic here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
    Last edited by tophat; 03-28-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: I missed a zero - makes a difference

radiojane Guest
    Very good numbers. I think as of 2006 the stats for Saskatchewan alone were 4.1 .

These are all very good debates, but I think what we're missing here is few of them are relevant. Zimmerman shouldn't have had access to a gun, and definitely shouldn't have been carrying one on a neighborhood watch walk. There needs to be an international debate about whackadoos who think they're a cross between John Wayne and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Belle, I know exactly where you're coming from. While I wasn't shot, my house was broken into and the man that did it did have a gun with him. It was one of the most terrifying nights of my life. I truly believe the only reason that man fled my house without harming me is because I surprised him with a shot gun

Definitly, I agree you were saved because you had your shot gun. Just think if you didnt have anything...very scary. And thank god you did have that and was able to stand up for yourself. That is why I want one now. Well a gun, but a shot gun seems fun Id like a 38. I like those.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Rule number 1 for gun owners. Never EVER EVER pull out your gun unless you intend on using it. Hesitation will get you killed.
    I have several friends who are married to police officers, and they all say don't pull a gun unless you're can use it. If you hesitate the person will take it away from you, and you will be the one harmed or dead. So I don't own a gun. I don't think I could pull the trigger on anyone.

tophat Guest
    Very good numbers. I think as of 2006 the stats for Saskatchewan alone were 4.1 .

These are all very good debates, but I think what we're missing here is few of them are relevant. Zimmerman shouldn't have had access to a gun, and definitely shouldn't have been carrying one on a neighborhood watch walk. There needs to be an international debate about whackadoos who think they're a cross between John Wayne and Dog the Bounty Hunter.
    I could not agree more. It is a great thing with people who cares for their neighborhood and reports things that is not legal.

But I find it extremely important that only real law enforcers carries guns in the street. IF Zimmerman had not had a gun with him, this very bad thing would not have gotten so fatally out of hand.

If people with bad judgement carries guns and shoots out of paranoia or other reason, life gets lost.

Just watched Dateline about this case and it seems Zimmerman has alot of mixed race friends but does this prove he cant be racist......hard nut to crack at the moment this case xx
    That doesn't mean shit. One of the hallmarks of a racist is the spill "I have (you name the race, culture, religion, sexual orientation) friends. I mean, I know, I come from the south, right? I know people like this. Hell, my dad was like this. When I was a little girl he was a member of the KKK and he would not allow us to drink Pepsi because he said the company was black-owned, but he wasn't racist. Yeah, right, daddy-o. My mama was racist in her own way. I do not know how I grew up not being one. Miracle, I guess.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    That doesn't mean shit. One of the hallmarks of a racist is the spill "I have (you name the race, culture, religion, sexual orientation) friends. I mean, I know, I come from the south, right? I know people like this. Hell, my dad was like this. When I was a little girl he was a member of the KKK and he would not allow us to drink Pepsi because he said the company was black-owned, but he wasn't racist. Yeah, right, daddy-o. My mama was racist in her own way. I do not know how I grew up not being one. Miracle, I guess.
    Yep

My dad is from the south and he told me once (proudly) "I've really changed, I wouldn't be bothered at all if a black person ate in the same resturaunt as me"
    Of course I had to say "Dad, would they have to come in the back door?"

whoops

endsleigh03 Guest
    Don't know if this was posted yet....

Zimmerman getting out of cop car.... his head doesn't appear to be bleeding.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-ma...ry?id=16022897

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Don't know if this was posted yet....

Zimmerman getting out of cop car.... his head doesn't appear to be bleeding.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-ma...ry?id=16022897
    Imagine that. No, not only is he NOT bleeding from head, nose or anywhere else, he appears to be in excellent shape.

endsleigh03 Guest
    To be fair he could have had a lump on his head or something that you can't see, but, he does not have the look of someone whose head was smashed into the pavement and all the rest that he claimed.

lisalouver Guest
    To be fair he could have had a lump on his head or something that you can't see, but, he does not have the look of someone whose head was smashed into the pavement and all the rest that he claimed.

Of the two involved, he looks damn healthy as a matter of fact.
    He could, but as you have stated, he looks nothing like someone who was facedown in the pavement as we have heard. I am sure no one thought about this footage would surface

Wonder where the broken nose is that Zimmermans lawer said he got when he was "fighting for his life"

Please
    Last edited by lisalouver; 03-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Don't see any blood on the front of his shirt either.

This whole thing reeks.

lisalouver Guest
    Don't see any blood on the front of his shirt either.

This whole thing reeks.
    YES

That is exactly the point I was trying to make with the whole "Survivors" reference. I don't know if you've seen it, but because of the UK's absolutely stupid strict gun laws, only the bad guys have guns when (and after) the major pandemic hits. Then they trample all over everyone because there is no law and they're the only ones with weapons! Even when the good guys do get a hold of the weapon, they are whiny and pathetic and say they can't use it because then they're just like the bad guys. Um, no you're not, then you're ALIVE AND PROTECTED. People are always going to want guns, and so they'll always be supplied--legally or otherwise.
    As someone living in the UK I find that remark not only offensive but its also stupid. We have hardly any gun crime here....you know why cos we cant just go into a shop and buy one. Yes we have violent crime and yes we fight tooth and nail to protect us and ours but we dont all need guns to do it. Our kids dont have access to them either....we dont have any of our kids shooting up schools...yea im sure there are guns on the black market infact I know there is but because of our 'stupid gun laws' we hardly come across the type of situation that poor Trayvon found himself in.
    You should come and live here in Singapore. If they find a gun in your pocket or under your bed, irrespective of whether you fired it or not, you automatically get the death sentence. They stretch your neck on a Friday morning at dawn.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    You should come and live here in Singapore. If they find a gun in your pocket or under your bed, irrespective of whether you fired it or not, you automatically get the death sentence. They stretch your neck on a Friday morning at dawn.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD