Thread: Adrienne Shelly

dr2red Guest

Adrienne Shelly

She wrote and directed Waitress with Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion.
    She was murdered before her film was released. Her own daughter played Lulu in the movie.

Very sad indeed

Danny62 Guest
    Didn't they first think it was suicide?

1karenhb Guest
    I think she was found hanging in the shower so was originally thought a suicide.

dr2red Guest
    Yes, they found her hanging with a sheet around her neck on the shower rod.
    The guy who did it killed her because she complained about noise in the apartment below and he was having a bad day. They found shoe marks in the tub that did not match hers.

I read her stoey after seeing the movie,it is some s**t that happened to her.I'm sure she had more to give the world.

Kathyf Guest
    Here is the story. Can you believe an illegal immigrant killed her that just pisses me off.
    WAS
    KILLER COVER-UP WORKER ADMITS SLAY: COPS

By LARRY CELONA, MURRAY WEISS and DAN MANGAN

SHOCK: Cops say Adrienne Shelly, initially thought to have killed herself, was slain by laborer Diego Pillco, who allegedly struck the actress and hanged her to make it look like a suicide.

November 7, 2006 -- In a stunning turnaround, a construction worker yesterday confessed to killing indie actress Adrienne Shelly, whose death in a Greenwich Village apartment last week was first thought to be suicide, cops said.
    "I was having a bad day," illegal immigrant Diego Pillco, 19, allegedly told cops. "I didn't mean to kill her. But I did kill her."
    Pillco told detectives that he punched Shelly, 40, last Wednesday afternoon outside the Abingdon Square apartment she was using as an office after she yelled at him about the noise he was making while working in a vacant apartment below.
    Pillco, who is from Ecuador and speaks only Spanish, also claimed that Shelly slapped him first.
    After seeing she was unconscious and believing she was dead, Pillco claimed, he dragged Shelly into her apartment, wrapped a bed sheet around her neck and attached it to a shower rod in the bathroom to make it appear she had hanged herself, sources said. The medical examiner has not yet released autopsy results.
    Shelly's marketing-exec husband, Andrew Ostroy, found her body just before 6 that evening.
    Pillco was nabbed early yesterday at his Brooklyn apartment after detectives matched several Reebok sneaker prints from the toilet seat in Shelly's bathroom to a print they found in the apartment downstairs.
    Pillco's boss told detectives the laborer had been wearing sneakers while working.
    Reebok Allen Iverson-model sneakers found at Pillco's home matched the prints, sources said.
    The suspect's stunned boss, contractor Louis Hernandez, called his employee "a good kid."
    "I don't know what happened. I don't think he did it," he said.
    But investigators said Pillco was sly enough to try to mask his deadly deed.
    "He tried to cover his tracks, but he ended up leaving his tracks," one police source said of Pillco, who entered the United States from Ecuador on July 7, and who now is charged with second-degree murder. "It was the tenacity of the investigators that led to an arrest. It had all the appearances of a suicide, but they didn't give up."
    Shelly's family and friends had insisted all along that the loving wife and mother had no reason to kill herself.
    "The entire family knew this was a murder from the outset," one relative said yesterday.
    Shelly's family had been so convinced that they had hired renowned forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, who performed a second autopsy on her Saturday at a funeral home, under the watch of two detectives.
    After yesterday's development, Ostroy said in a statement: "We are incredibly grateful to the New York City Police Department for their dedication, professionalism and tenacity in following up on every lead in this case. We hope everyone will respect that this is a difficult and private time for our families."
    Ostroy and Shelly, a TriBeCa resident who first gained notice for her performances in two classic independent films - "The Unbelievable Truth" and "Trust" - have a 3-year-old daughter, Sophie. Earlier this year, Shelly, a Long Island native, appeared in the film "Factotum" with Matt Dillon, and at the time of her death was on the verge of releasing a movie called "Waitress," which she directed and wrote.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 12-23-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: adding a word.

star82 Guest
    I first saw her in this pretty bad movie with Griffin Dunne called "Big Girls Don't Cry, They Get Even"..

Her story is so sad!

It don't matter that a immigrant killed her. Legal citizens kill people too. What matter's is that the poor woman was killed. Some people will use any tragedy that occurs just to get a chance to get their message across. It politicises something that should be treated with respect.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I think her murder was an awful thing. But I've gotta say I just saw "Waitress" and, um, don't think it would have gotten anywhere NEAR the publicity without the background story of Shelly's murder propelling it forward. It just wasn't as good as the publicity around it had me believing it would be, unfortunately...I wanted to like it but *yawn*

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Wow, that's quite an interesting read. Thank you for the post.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    It don't matter that a immigrant killed her. Legal citizens kill people too. What matter's is that the poor woman was killed. Some people will use any tragedy that occurs just to get a chance to get their message across. It politicises something that should be treated with respect.
    I was also thinking that was a strange remark. You mean it would have bothered you LESS had it been a native Amuricun?

i agree that the film probably would not have been as successful had it not been for her murder. death always intrigues people, and they'll go out and watch a movie or buy a cd because someone died who made it.

but i do think the film is quite good on it's own. it's not exactly the film of the century but it's cute and fun and enjoyable to watch. at least, it was for me. and i don't even like "chick flicks" usually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Kathyf Guest
    Why is that "I was having a bad day," illegal immigrant Diego Pillco, 19, allegedly told cops. "I didn't mean to kill her. But I did kill her." a strange remark? I simply said I was mad because he was illegal. I never said on e thing about Immigrants ever. Just illegals. I forgot to write Illegal in my original post I will correct that.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 12-24-2007 at 11:04 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    L&O did a show about this. It's so sad & unnecessary.

cherryghost Guest
    She was in those films by Hal Hartley in the 90's Trust, etc!

Ceci Guest
    I was very saddened to hear that she died. She was quite funny in "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me."

Area Man Guest

Adrienne Shelly

I read somewhere about this actress who was murdered along with her husband outside their apartment in L.A. Both shot. She had starred in several movies, one alongside Elvis Presley. Can't find a single thing about the murder though other than it happened.

OOPS!! My first thread, sorry! I posted the wrong actress' name. Can this thread be removed?

It was actually JENNY MAXWELL and I started a new thread for her!
    Last edited by Area Man; 12-31-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: OOPS!!

magblax Guest
    Yes..They will remove it...but the Adrienne Shelley Case is interesting too!! http://www.nationalledger.com/cgi-bi...ive=6&num=9674

towser Guest

Exactly....people use something like this to justify their xenophobia...we should throw 'em all out! See what one of 'em did to Adrianne Shelley??!

Mrs F Guest
    I was shocked and saddened by her murder. Waitress was an adorable movie and she was quite a talent. Her poor husband and little daughter. Very tragic.

I went and rented this yesterday- I liked the movie (but then again, I love anything that Nathan Fillion is in- what a hunk!). I thought it was sweet, and they had a nice tribute to Adrienne in the special program part of it that was very sad. Her daughter played the little girl LuLu at the end.

What ever happened to the piece of shit that killed her (mind you, I'm not saying he's a piece of shit because he's an illegal- simply because he killed someone)?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Mrs F Guest
    Oh, Nathan Fillion! My husband has such a man-crush on him. He is quite the hunk I must agree.

Waitress the movie

It was OK. Just. I liked Andy Griffith, but the movie in general was just OK. It's sad to know that it was Adrienne Shelly's last movie. I hope they lock the SOB in jail for life and throw away the key.

-K.

I agree completely. I know many illegal immigrants and they are by far the most decent, hard working people I know--in fact, more so than some people born in this country. There are bad apples of every color, race, religion.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Question

Quote Originally Posted by star82 View Post
    I first saw her in this pretty bad movie with Griffin Dunne called "Big Girls Don't Cry, They Get Even"..

Her story is so sad!
    I knew I saw her in something, that was it! I haven't seen Waitress yet, I am deciding if I want to buy it.

lisalouver Guest
    The shitbag pled guilty today

http://www6.comcast.net/news/article...ss.Found.Dead/

In typical fashion, he changed his story yet again.

Deat becomesher Guest
    He was working in the building but yet he was robbed her? What a senseless crime to get a few bucks out of her pocketbook.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deat becomesher View Post
    He was working in the building but yet he was robbed her? What a senseless crime to get a few bucks out of her pocketbook.
    The whole thing is totally senseless. Very hard to understand.

As a person that lives in a apartment I can
    understand all the sounds going on.
    Please be quiet.

towser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I think her murder was an awful thing. But I've gotta say I just saw "Waitress" and, um, don't think it would have gotten anywhere NEAR the publicity without the background story of Shelly's murder propelling it forward. It just wasn't as good as the publicity around it had me believing it would be, unfortunately...I wanted to like it but *yawn*
    Amen to that! I was actually excited to see it because it had such great buzz...but it was really nothing more than your typical sub-standard chick flick, IMHO. I knew I was in trouble during the first scene....pregnancy test results in the bathroom...main character (Kerri Russel) and her 2 friends anxiously await the results...hilarity most definitely does not ensue....again, IMHO.

cherryghost Guest
    I watched "Waitress" last night and enjoyed it after thinking from opinions it would be a dud! Liked the pies and thought the Quirky story was touching and suprisingly well written.

Thought the characters and world were deliberatly cliche and that was part of its charm.

Less contrived because of the irony,than a lot of films of this genre. Like a Kooky "Chocolate"

Adrienne had quite an underground following from the Early 90's for her films with Hal Hartley so I think there has always been interest in her work, her murder is just tragic!

Of course it is a great deathhag film now weither one likes it or just watches it for the context!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-21-2008 at 02:29 AM.

motherogod Guest

Spoiler alert

I finally got to see the movie and watched it twice, I liked it so much. I guess I could totally relate to the part when she meets the baby and the whole world goes fuzzy, with the only clarity being in the baby's face. Brilliant.

I hadn't realized that Adrienne was in it as well, just thought she'd written and directed. I loved it, and want to try the mermaid pie. It looks weird.

I was just watching the movie "Waitress" which I love and have watched several times and looked up the info on it on IMDB and JUST found out that she died! She wrote the movie "Waitress" and her little girl was the character Jenna's baby in the end (Lulu). How sad.

DisneyStacy Guest
    I just watched this movie today and I loved it. What an adorable movie. I didn't know about Adrienne Shelly until I saw the Memorium that was in the Special Features.

I think this is the most perfect movie to have as her last, especially for her daughter.

So Sad.

Hilde_Blue Guest

Adrienne Shelly

Adrienne Shelly (June 24, 1966 ā?? November 1, 2006), sometimes credited as Adrienne Shelley, was an American actress, director and screenwriter. Making her name in independent films such as 1989's The Unbelievable Truth and 1990's Trust, Shelly transitioned to a writing and directing career in subsequent years. She wrote, co-starred in, and directed the 2007 film Waitress, which won five awards, including the Jury Prize at the Sarasota Film Festival for narrative feature, and the Audience and Feature Film awards at the Newport Beach Film Festival.

Before the film was even released, however, Shelly was murdered by a construction worker who had entered Shelly's Greenwich Village apartment intent on robbery. Her murder was initially speculated to be a suicide, the murder scene staged to resemble a hanging. Shelly's husband vehemently denied she would have committed suicide and claimed that money was missing from her wallet.

Hilde_Blue Guest
    Murder

At about 5:45 p.m on November 1, 2006, Shelly's husband found her hanging by a bedsheet[13] from a shower rod in the bathtub[11] of the Abingdon Square apartment in Manhattan's West Village that Shelly used as an office.[11] It initially appeared to be a suicide.[13] Ostroy had dropped her off at 9:30 a.m. that day, and as the building's doorman told journalists "He hadn't heard from her and he said it was odd not to hear from her, so he was nervous. And he asked me to go up to the apartment with him, so we went to the front door, and it was unlocked".[11]
    An autopsy was performed the following day. The New York City Police Department was suspicious of sneaker prints in the bathtub that did not match Shelly's shoes (she was found wearing only socks). Shelly's husband also indicated that there was money missing from Shelly's wallet. He denied allegations that she would have committed suicide.[14]
    Press reports on November 6, 2006 stated that police had arrested construction worker Diego Pillco, a 19-year-old Ecuadorian illegal immigrant[15] who confessed to killing Shelly after she complained about the noise he was making in the apartment below hers. Pillco said that he "was having a bad day".[15] Police said Pillco had made videos implicating himself in the murder, and as of November 7, 2006 was being held without bail for her murder.[16][17]
    Diego Pillco entered his guilty plea February 14, 2008. He said that, contrary to his original story, Shelly had not complained about noise, but rather had caught him stealing money from her purse after he slipped into the apartment. When she tried to call the police, he grabbed the phone and covered her mouth as she began to scream. After she fell, he tied a bedsheet around her neck and decided to choke her. Originally, Pillco claimed he didn't know Shelly was still alive when he hanged her, but in court he admitted to choking her with a sheet, tying it around her neck, and stringing her up to make it look like she committed suicide.[18] The medical examiner determined that Shelly was still alive when hanged.[19] Pillco received 25 years in prison without parole when he was sentenced on March 6, 2008.[20]
    At Pillco's sentencing on March 13, 2008, Shelly's husband, along with family members said that they would never forgive him.[21] Andy Ostroy had said of Pillco "...you are nothing more than a coldblooded killer" and that he hoped he would "rot in jail".[21]
    In remembering Shelly, Ostroy said that "Adrienne was the kindest, warmest, most loving, generous person I knew. She was incredibly smart, funny and talented, a bright light with an infectious laugh and huge smile that radiated inner and outer beauty... she was my best friend, and the person with whom I was supposed to grow old".[21]

SueWahoo Guest

Hilde_Blue Guest
    Yikes! Sorry, I should've looked around more.
    I apologize!

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilde_Blue View Post
    Yikes! Sorry, I should've looked around more.
    I apologize!
    Apologize? Nonsense! You just owe us all some donuts

You're doing fine and I heartily encourage you to continue. I would go to the merge thread though and ask them to merge this thread with the older Adrienne thread.

Thanks for bumping this thread Hilde. I had no idea that they had caught the murderer. Last time I heard her death was still perceived as suicide. She was adorable. So much talent yet to come. I loved Waitress and remember her small role in the HBO series Oz.

FiestyGal Guest

Unhappy

I didn't even know who she was until I saw a blurb after watching the movie that she was dead. I was half-asleep and really enjoying the show and didn't even realize she was IN the movie, much less that she wrote/directed it.

I thought the film was wonderful, I loved the pie song, and was especially touched by the way Kerry Russell's character fell in love with the baby and then told her d*** of a hubby off.

R.I.P, Adrienne, I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sure you had a lot left to do and we would have loved your work. Rest well and save me a seat up there! We can sing the pie song together. I sing it to my little boy all the time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    *Dedicated to her daughter, Sophie*

When the world is gray and bleak
    Baby don't you cry
    I will give you every bit of love that is in my heart
    I will bake it upā?¦ into a simple little pie

Baby don't you cry gonna make a pie
    Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
    Baby donā??t be blue
    Gonna make for you
    Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
    Gonna be a pie from the heaven above
    Gonna be filled with strawberry love
    Baby donā??t you cry
    Gonna make a pie
    Hold you forever in the middle of my heart.

Baby heres the sun
    Baby heres the sky
    Baby Iā??m the light and Iā??m your shelter
    Baby you are mine
    I could freeze the time
    Keep you in my kitchen with me forever
    Gonna be filled with strawberry love

Baby donā??t you cry
    Gonna make a pie
    Hold you forever in the middle of my heart.

Gonna bake a pie from the heaven above
    Gonna be filled with butterscotch love
    Gonna be filled with banana cream love

Baby donā??t you cry
    Gonna make a pie
    Hold you forever
    Hold you forever in the middle of my heart

So happy to see that Adrienne's story is now on the FAD page. I remember reading about her death when it happened in People magazine, but had no clue who she was. Then I finally saw Waitress, maybe I'm in the minority but I just LOVE that movie. I watch it often.

Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    So happy to see that Adrienne's story is now on the FAD page. I remember reading about her death when it happened in People magazine, but had no clue who she was. Then I finally saw Waitress, maybe I'm in the minority but I just LOVE that movie. I watch it often.

love this movie too. there is a website out there that has created recipes for the different pies in the movie
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

i love the movie waitress. Have you guys seen her last film "serious moonlight"?. It is good too. Very interesting movie.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    love this movie too. there is a website out there that has created recipes for the different pies in the movie
    I know, hehe! After I first saw the movie, I found that site and thought it was so neat. I never have tried to make any of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnagg123 View Post
    i love the movie waitress. Have you guys seen her last film "serious moonlight"?. It is good too. Very interesting movie.
    Haven't seen that one. Will have to look for it. Gonna check it out on imdb right now though just to see what its about.

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by star82 View Post

Her story is so sad!
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who saw this movie. I actually liked it. I can relate to the story!

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...lly_foundation

They're doing some ebay auctions for the Adrienne Shelly foundation. One is a lunch with Jon Hamm. If anyone wants to go ahead and win that for me, I'd totally appreciate it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandee1005 View Post
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who saw this movie. I actually liked it. I can relate to the story!
    I liked it too. Thought it was actually very well Done.

Heavenly Tiger Guest

She was incidentally beautiful. The monster Diego Pillco that murdered her said that he "was having a bad day" . He only got 25 years that isn't justice.

Yeah, she was gorgeous!

I have a lot of bad days too, but I don't think that gives me the right to off anyone. What a sorry excuse for a human.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

51. 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
    Reason
    please