Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Worst Christmas Songs Ever!

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I'm with you on these two, for sure! "Simply haaaving a wonderful Christmas time, simply haaaving a wonderful Christmas time..." Sounds like he wrote that half asleep or drugged out of his mind and couldn't figure out any decent lyrics or an actual tune, Sir Paul.
    I'm going to go with drugged out of his mind. That came on the radio a bit ago, and my reaction was, "OH HELL NO!" before changing the station.

I hear they had good drugs back in the 60's (or whenever he wrote that awful piece) though...

aLiLdirt Guest
    I am a sucker for Christmas music and have tons of it.

The two tunes I can think of that really annoy me are:
    Elmo & Patsy's "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"
    and Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town."

Nothing against Mr. Springsteen and his body of work, but I never have liked his version of the song and avoid it if possible.

Then again, I like McCartney's "Wonderful Chritmas Time" and Wham's "Last Christmas." So there's no accounting for taste. haha...

All of them.
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

orionova Guest
    Has anyone heard Annie Lennox's new Christmas album? I can actually see myself listening to it year after year, it's that good. And it's $1.99 on Amazon. The video for 'God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen' is sublime. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsJD8RlhbI

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Just for you, the FAD hard drinkin' version. I sent this one to my dad and he was moved by the deep sentiment and heartstrings-tugging good cheer.

Drunk lady singing the 12 days of Christmas
    That could've been me last saturday, when I had a tad too much Feuerzangenbowle

Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    Has anyone heard Annie Lennox's new Christmas album? I can actually see myself listening to it year after year, it's that good. And it's $1.99 on Amazon. The video for 'God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen' is sublime. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsJD8RlhbI
    I love Annie Lennox, she has such a great voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Persis View Post
    12 days of Christmas. It's at least 11 days too many. Thank god we don't get to hear that song too often over here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdhSIvOY10
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Ted Challinor Guest
    Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime....don't get me wrong, I love most of Macca's work - apart from the smug stuff like this. This song drives me crazy, together with its 'all-singing-down-the-pub' video. Yuck

orionova Guest
    I had the misfortune to hear the gods-awfuls 'hippo' song over the weekend. Gah! Christmas can't get over with soon enough for me!

We only have to listen to this crap for 4 more days!!!! WOO!
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

motherogod Guest
    I too hate Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad." Hate, hate, hate it! Always have. And, as a top fan of Paul McCartney's, even I have to agree his lil' Wonderful Christmastime is a drag. The zip-zing sound following the line about the children sing their song sounds like a tiny kitty stuck in a chimney. Ack!

Now, speaking of cats, anyone love the cats meowing "Blue Christmas"? Can't find it, but found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LqRl7tqf4

Kind of right up there with ol' Jose!

Released 29 years ago today!

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

Tremendous song. Much better than "We Are the World".

ajlposh Guest
    I LOVE Christmas music. But The Christmas Shoes is evil. It makes me nauseous. That is no joke.
    Last edited by ajlposh; 11-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Mammy Guest

I heard this song yesterday when I was Christmas shopping at Gordman's. I hadn't heard it for years and I enjoyed hearing it again. It sure beat hearing "Santa Baby."

Its a fucking great song. Odd that Kool and the Gang were there. Way better than We Are the World as Upset stated but not nearly as good as Musicians For Free Range Chickens:
    http://s234.photobucket.com/user/gel...ckens.mp4.html
    Last edited by ichabodius; 11-28-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I hate them all.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Its a fucking great song. Odd that Kool and the Gang were there. Way better than We Are the World as Upset stated but not nearly as good as Musicians For Free Range Chickens:
    http://s234.photobucket.com/user/gel...ckens.mp4.html
    Ichabodius, if memory serves Kool and the Gang just happened to be in town, and were asked if they wanted to participate. Since the gathering wasn't named something exclusive like UK for Africa, it was not a problem.

glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the Paul McCartney song. I was Christmas shopping a few years ago and every bloody shop was playing it, total nightmare.

I actually wouldn't mind hear Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time since its been quite awhile since I heard it anywhere. Interesting thing about that song, about 15 years ago when radio stations started doing the Christmas 24/7 thing ABC Radio ( when they had the Dallas based Satellite Music Network ) actually sent out a memo to various stations who used their service such as ours with a list of Christmas tunes that "should not be played because they didn't test very well with the audience". The McCartney tune was one of them not because it sucked but because the song had came out in 1979 a "bad" year for many with Jimmy Carter, recession, the Iran hostages, etc... Other songs I can remember being on that list were Dolly Parton's Hard Candy Christmas because the song was in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ( not family friendly ) and Band Aid's Do they Know its Christmas ( ABC called the tune a dated novelty as they did with We Are the World by USA for Africa ). The was a Garfield the cat Christmas tune that was on the list I seem to recall where ABC called it "..way too much a cartoon" but for some reason ABC said that the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas tune would be OK. Figure that one out.

..of course not everyone took ABC's "suggestions" as the last word.

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    I LOVE Christmas music. But The Christmas Shoes is evil. It makes me nauseous. That is no joke.
    YES!! The absoulte worst! Combined with the movie.. (Up the clocktower)

I know it's been mentioned but it is a new holiday. That stupid Wham song and the McCartney song. It makes me cringe. Right now I'm being a huge Grinch but they all annoy me. I hope to get some HoHoHo soon.

Don't like sexy X-rated-mas junk like ANY version of "Santa Baby" (and as for that Mariah Carey business-- GAAAH, EYE and EAR BLEACH!!! STAT!!!)
    Or creepy what-were-they-THINKING-about head-messin' songs like "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Or the always-abominable "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer." Yeah, they tried to gloss THAT one over with one of those equally-annoying ubiquitous TV "specials", but sorry, there's a nasty death in the song. Real cheery stuff--- hear it once, you might chuckle; hear it 500 times, turn off the radio, put cotton in your ears, ANYTHING to make it go away.
    And when the station plays three versions of ANY song/carol in an hour.... Jeepers, I hate the 24/7 Christmas song cycle. I play them sparingly myself until a week prior.
    Last edited by Linnie; 12-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the Paul McCartney song. I was Christmas shopping a few years ago and every bloody shop was playing it, total nightmare.
    I agree. I love the Beatles, but that McCartney song is not his best work (to say the least).

Also, if it's any Christmas song I cannot stand for the life of me, it's "Twelve Days of Christmas." Seriously, we get the point after three days.
    Last edited by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host; 12-11-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Nelliebean Guest

Boy George had a nice voice!

Nelliebean Guest
    ANY SONG schreeched by Celine Dion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    ANY SONG schreeched by Celine Dion.
    Yes! I agree completely!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Billy Weathersby Guest
    With my likes and dislikes, I think the worst Christmas song is anything sung by Mel Torme and/or Robert Goulet.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Don't like sexy X-rated-mas junk like ANY version of "Santa Baby" (and as for that Mariah Carey business-- GAAAH, EYE and EAR BLEACH!!! STAT!!!)
    "Santa Baby" is even worse when high school students sing it. For many years our radio station would air school Christmas concerts that would air on Christmas day..of course I was the one who had to go around the schools to tape them. The middle schools and private schools weren't too bad but the high schools..every year..SANTA BABY and every year it was the same...A girl comes out, usually dressed in a combo Santa elf and cheerleader outfit dances like a stripper at a bar while singing Santa Baby while the guys on stage and in the audience would scream "Yeah Baby..WOO HOO". So predictable !!!!!

MissZoot Guest
    Y'all have hit most of the tunes on my list of the worst, but I'd add any version of O Holy Night that involves massive amounts of trills and runs and sixteenth notes and octave leaps. It's a gorgeous song, so just sing it, people.

Also, Amy Grant's version of The Most Wonderful Time makes me want to hurl. I think it's her weird-ass pronunciation of the word "most".

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    It was either Christmas of '80 or '81 and our Christmas bonus at SWA was of then Co. President Howard Putnam singing White Christmas.
    That sounds awful to me.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I hate them all.
    So true, and thank you for saying this.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

All of them, I avoid the radio starting from the day after Halloween and up until the day after New Year, and listen to Spotify with my premade music list of the music I like.