Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actors Who Died During the Run of A TV Show

Died as in death, or as in performance?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Michael Conrad- "Hill Street Blues"
    Last edited by Ludigan; 01-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.

John Ritter during season 2 '8 Simple Rules'
    I guess Larry Hagman can be in that category
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And now, Larry Hagman, JR on Dallas. I want to watch this season to see how they do his character on the show.

Hugh Marlowe, who had co-starred in classics "All About Eve" and original "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and later became a reliable "guest star" on early TV, passed while still employed at his longtime stint as family patriarch "Jim Matthews" on the soap "Another World."

Sidney Clute, another stalwart supporting actor on many series, died in 1985. He had been playing one of the male detectives on the feminist-themed police series "Cagney and Lacey" recently saved from cancellation by a huge mail-in campaign ('member those?) He was so liked and respected, he was honored by being featured in the opening credits of the program until it was cancelled in 1988.

chrismon Guest
    Macdonald Carey, played Dr. Tom Horton on Days of Our Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Michael Conrad- "Hill Street Blues"
    That was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Okay, anyone know bout this one? the little girl on "Still Standing" I swear I saw a "in memory of" flash on the screen just after one of the episodes ended. Am I dreaming up stuff?

Doggone it! Everybody beat me to Ma Soprano, Grampa Walton and Pete Duel. BUT... I also remember Anne Baxter from "Hotel" (with James Brolin and Connie Sellica) died half way through the first season. And "Lime Street" with Robert Wagner was a TV series also in the 80's, his young co-star, Samantha Smith died in a plane crash half way though the 1st season as well. From Wikipedia: In 1982, Smith wrote a letter to the newly appointed CPSU General Secretary Yuri Andropov, and received a personal reply which included a personal invitation to visit the Soviet Union, which she accepted.Smith attracted extensive media attention in both countries as a "Goodwill Ambassador", and became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" participating in peacemaking activities in Japan.[1] She wrote a book about her visit to the Soviet Union and co-starred in the television series Lime Street, before her death at the age of 13 in the Bar Harbor Airlines Flight 1808 plane crash.

Gotta tell ya, had to really dig deep to share this info, but love it when I have to do my homework...lol
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    Okay, anyone know bout this one? the little girl on "Still Standing" I swear I saw a "in memory of" flash on the screen just after one of the episodes ended. Am I dreaming up stuff?
    I took a quick peek on IMDB. Soleil Borda played the youngest daughter, Tina. While there is not much information there, there is definitely nothing that indicates she had passed away (there's a "born" date but no "death" date). I know sometimes on TV shows when a member of the crew passes away, they'll flash a quick "in memory of" at the end of that episode. Hope this helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Saddletramp Guest
    Steve Irwin was messing with Sting Rays, (bad idea) and one nailed him in the heart. Not to bright Steve.

I'm glad someone brought up Will Geer. I don't know why that link didn't mention him. Same with Rebecca Shaeffer. Oh and that link works fine for me but i'm on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    I also looked, and the only members of the cast that I could find that passed away are the following:

• Gene Michaels (Steven Gilborn): Judy and Linda's father. He is an avid collector and connoisseur of model trains. (He also played Ellen Degeneres Dad in "Ellen" Died in 2009)
    • Helen Michaels (Janet Carroll seasons 1 and 2; Swoosie Kurtz seasons 3 and 4): Judy and Linda's mother. She favors Judy over Linda. Her character portrayal differs based on the actress; she is more motherly when portrayed by Caroll, but outgoing and fun when portrayed by Kurtz, thus, changing the mentality of the character during the seasons. (Janet Carroll also played Tom Cruise's Mom in "Risky Business" and died of brain cancer in 2012)
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 01-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

sunshine74137 Guest
    http://voices.yahoo.com/is-soleil-bo...d-2227464.html

Okay, I found this, there was some sort of dedication at the end of an episode, and a big rumor that she was dead. But she's not.

Quote Originally Posted by sierrarose View Post
    also, Rebecca Schaeffer during "My Sister Sam"

According to Wikipedia...

"...Series cast member, Rebecca Schaeffer was murdered on July 18, 1989, more than a year after the show had been canceled and had left the air..."

However even though CBS had cancelled the show in 1988 the USA Cable Network soon picked up syndication rights to My Sister Sam and aired a few shows that never aired on CBS. I believe USA was airing the show at the time Rebecca was murdered in July 1989.
    Last edited by choff; 02-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Jeanne Cooper who played Katherine Chancellor on The Young and The Restless since 1973 she died May 8, 2013 at age 84. her final scene as Katherine Chancellor aired May 3, 2013 Katherine's final words to her former longtime nemesis turned friend Jill was "Good Night" as Katherine slowly headed up the stairs to bed. Jeanne was ill and in the hospital after that scene. the show decided to have Katherine die off screen and have a memorial service for the character.

Corey Monteith

18. 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM

carrieanne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    Mr Hopper

Awwww, after Mr. Hooper died, my 4 yr. old refused to watch Sesame St. for awhile. They did an episode where he died and Big Bird was "waiting for him to come back from being dead", and they explained that he would NEVER come back, but he could always remember him and keep him in his heart. After that show, my son wouldn't watch it, and when I asked why, he said that he didn't like that Mr. Hooper died.

Did anyone mention the guy from Glee? I don't know his name, but I saw a commercial where they would be 'saying goodbye' to the character on a show. I have only watched one episode of Glee, the Rocky Horror one. Sorry if he's already been mentioned.

Also, did anyone say Heath Ledger? Wasn't he working on his last movie when he passed?

Drug ODs and the young. Shouldn't happen... sigh.

Peter Duel killing himself ticked me off as a kid. "Alias Smith and Jones" was my favorite show at the time and as noted, his replacement just didn't get it.

Wendy A. Guest
    Ted Knight passed away during the series "Too close for comfort", and Ernie Pantusso who played Coach from Cheers.

Game show host Jack Barry died of a heart attack in 1984 while jogging through central park in NYC..at the time he was still hosting The Joker's Wild.

Tigon Man Guest
    British actor Gareth Jones dropped dead of a heart attack, between scenes of a live transmission of a television play in November 1958 in Manchester UK.
    Ironicallly his character was due to die of a heart attack. The play continued with the cast inprovising around Jones's character.

Lee Thompson Young from Rizzoli and Isles.
    I mean, they say you die twice.
    One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

Banksy

Fred Allen died while a regular panelist on What's My Line? as did Dorothy Killgallen. Fred may have been the first of tv regulars to pass away while still in production. Check out Freds quotes at his imdb bio.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Did anyone mention the guy from Glee? I don't know his name, but I saw a commercial where they would be 'saying goodbye' to the character on a show. I have only watched one episode of Glee, the Rocky Horror one. Sorry if he's already been mentioned.

Also, did anyone say Heath Ledger? Wasn't he working on his last movie when he passed?

Drug ODs and the young. Shouldn't happen... sigh.
    Points to my post two or three posts back from yours.

Tigon Man Guest
    Did Paul Lynde's death occur whilst he was still a regular on Celebrity Squares, or had he been fired by then?

Evidently Paul left the show in'79 before the show left in .82.

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Bidmor Guest
    It could be said that Alan Ludden passed away during his show's run. Alan had taken a 30 day leave from Password Plus in 1980 for chemo. Tom Kennedy stepped in as host. Ludden had intended to return at some point but died in June of 1981.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    Fred Allen died while a regular panelist on What's My Line? as did Dorothy Killgallen. Fred may have been the first of tv regulars to pass away while still in production. Check out Freds quotes at his imdb bio.
    Forgot all about Dorothy. Skuttle butt is that she was "suicided" because she claimed to have hot info on the JFK assassination.

Dorothy did not reveal anything about JFKs death to Earl Warrens son in law,John Charles Daly, or to the most powerful man in publishing ,Random Houses Bennett Cerf. There certainly would have been a book deal.I think her husband may have killed her over a new affair. He killed himself a few years later by the same means in the same room his wife died.

Bidmor Guest
    Like I said, it was skuttle butt.

well,murder is just my theory,same as scuttlebutt.

andyv Guest
    Mark Frankel, Kindred the Embraced, motorcycle accident 1996. There were only 8 episodes before his death but I enjoyed the show and wondered at the abrupt cancellation. It wasn't until years later that I learned of his death.

trustno1 Guest
    Someone downstream mentioned Samantha Smith. She only taped 4 1/2 episodes of "Lime Street" before the plane crash. There were huge, high hopes for that show but between Samantha's accident and a time slot opposite "Golden Girls", it flopped. RJ Wagner blamed the producers for screwing up the show because they shifted their energy to developing "Designing Women". In truth, from what I've seen of it, "Lime Street" was a smarmy, expensive and boring mess. Samantha did seem to have some talent, though.

Joee Guest
    Dan Blocker of Bonanza and I believe Ernie Kovacs was doing TV work when he was killed in a car wreck.

George Reeves
    Jerry Orbach
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

I don't remember the actor's name, but he played Coach on Cheers. I think he died either during or after the first or second season of Cheers.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

And then you have a good handful of TV Newscasters and reporters who died while they were still active:

Jessica Savitch
    Max Robinson
    Peter Jennings
    Tim Russert
    David Bloom
    And the Death Hag Favorite, Christine Chubbuck.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Marion Lorne ..Aunt Clara on Bewitched

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    And then you have a good handful of TV Newscasters and reporters who died while they were still active:

Jessica Savitch
    Max Robinson
    Peter Jennings
    Tim Russert
    David Bloom
    And the Death Hag Favorite, Christine Chubbuck.
    Max Robinson actually had retired from TV news in 1985 after his last gig was at Chicago's WMAQ-TV though I seem to remember he was offered a job a year or two later to return to local Washington radio ( I am thinking it was "all news..all the time" WTOP but I am not sure ), anyway it never happened but you are right that he was still active such as giving speeches to various universities right to the end of his life in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Max Robinson actually had retired from TV news in 1985 after his last gig was at Chicago's WMAQ-TV though I seem to remember he was offered a job a year or two later to return to local Washington radio ( I am thinking it was "all news..all the time" WTOP but I am not sure ), anyway it never happened but you are right that he was still active such as giving speeches to various universities right to the end of his life in 1988.
    You're right. I remember my Mom grieving the news that one of her favorite newscasters had died pretty much on the job and I was thinking it was Max Robinson because that was one of her favorites. After I read your post, I looked it up on Wikipedia and the person who died on the job was Frank Reynolds. Frank had liver problems and Cancer, and temporarily (or so he thought) retired from World News Tonight, but it implied he was going to be back. But his treatment didn't go well and he died three months after he had logged his last broadcast. Max Robinson replaced Frank Reynolds.

I never knew it until tonight when I read it on Wikipedia, but Dean Reynolds is the son of Frank Reynolds. Dean is currently a reporter I think for CBS. There is a very slight family resemblance but I never would have put it together.

Just remembered Marsha Wallace who voiced elementary school teacher Edna Krabappel on The Simpsons. She died last October.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Points to my post two or three posts back from yours.
    I'm sorry, I am partially brain dead from chemo.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    Jeanne Cooper who played Katherine Chancellor on The Young and The Restless since 1973 she died May 8, 2013 at age 84. her final scene as Katherine Chancellor aired May 3, 2013 Katherine's final words to her former longtime nemesis turned friend Jill was "Good Night" as Katherine slowly headed up the stairs to bed. Jeanne was ill and in the hospital after that scene. the show decided to have Katherine die off screen and have a memorial service for the character.
    Jeanne Cooper was the best, complete professional in her craft.
    Could never be replaced..never!
    There are few celebrities that make me weep when they pass away, Jeanne Cooper was one of them..still makes me sad
    Big Ang was another one...

I'd say John Ritter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd say the most bizarre is Johnny Lewis who played Half Sack on Sons of Anarchy, dude killed and dismembered his neighbor and her cat then proceeded to attack another neighbor and his employee before jumping to his death.

Leonard Rossiter, best remembered as Rigsby from Rising Damp died after one series of Trippers' Day. For the next series he was replaced by gameshow host Bruce Forsythe, with the programme becoming Slingers' Day. In the US, the show was remade as Check It Out with Don Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I thought of Michael Conrad (Sgt Esterhouse) from Hill Street Blues.
    True, I so enjoyed him on that show.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Darlene Conley (2007) who played Sally Spectra on 'The Bold & The Beautiful'.
    There's something happening here, what is is ain't exactly clear.