Thread: Actors Who Died During the Run of A TV Show

bonzosrightfoot Guest

Actors Who Died During the Run of A TV Show

Tiger Guest
    I Remember when (1) Hexum
    (2) Davis)
    (Hartman)
    (Ritter)
    (Reeves) all died..except for Reeves, he died 6 years before my birth..TY cool info

JacksTiger Guest

also...

Bea Benaderet (Petticoat Junction)
    Ann Sheridan (Pistols and Petticoats)
    George Cleveland (original Lassie)
    Alice Pearce (Bewitched)

1karenhb Guest
    William Frawley (My 3 Sons)

Mammy Guest
    That link made my computer go apeshit!

Didn't Redd Foxx and the dude who played Rerun in What's Happenin' both die when they had new stuff coming out?

The father from Gimme a Break (Dolph Sweet).
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I've always thought the manner that "Barney Miller" handled the death of Jack Soo set the bar for other shows. For those of you who haven't seen it, they did an entire episode in which the main cast members spoke about him and introduced various clips of the scenes that contained his best lines and acting on the show. At the end of the episode they gathered on the set and raised a toast of coffee mugs (his character was known for always making horrible coffee on the show) to him.

The old lady Bailiffs on Night Court.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Freddie Prinze - Chico and the Man

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    The old lady Bailiffs on Night Court.
    Selma Diamond and Florence Halop
    Cindy

Heres a comprehensive list (click on the live action tv tab):
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCharacterDiedWithHim

David Strickland "Suddenly Susan"
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    That link made my computer go apeshit!

Didn't Redd Foxx and the dude who played Rerun in What's Happenin' both die when they had new stuff coming out?
    I remember Redd Foxx dying during his new show (collapsed during rehearsal or taping)
    Cindy

Diane Hyland (Eight is enough)
    Michael Conrad (Hill Street Blues)
    Jim Davis (Dallas)
    Nicholas Colasanto (Cheers)
    Cindy

Rosebud666 Guest
    Barton Yarborough, who portrayed Joe Friday's original partner Ben Romero in the radio and TV versions of Dragnet and died of a heart attack after only the first three episodes of the first season of the TV show had been completed.

IIRC, his death was not mentioned on the fledgling TV show, but the radio episode they dedicated to Yarborough's memory, "The Big Sorrow", was classy and very touching. In it, Ben Romero also died suddenly of a heart attack.

Think I'll make myself a Mexican omlette this morning in his honor.

Barbara Pepper (Green Acres)
    Cindy

Forever-27 Guest
    Wasnt Coach from Cheers in this thing ? I thought Coach died during taping of the show.

mammys right the link froze and shut down my putter so I wont try to reclick it again

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    I've always thought the manner that "Barney Miller" handled the death of Jack Soo set the bar for other shows. For those of you who haven't seen it, they did an entire episode in which the main cast members spoke about him and introduced various clips of the scenes that contained his best lines and acting on the show. At the end of the episode they gathered on the set and raised a toast of coffee mugs (his character was known for always making horrible coffee on the show) to him.
    my favorite and in my opinion the most respectful tribute of a passing cast member. both to the memory of the actor but also respectful to the fans of the show.
    i still recall at the very end when max gail tried a couple times to get through his last comment and completely broke down. it was clear that the entire cast enjoyed and respected jack soo.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

bonzosrightfoot Guest
    I don't understand what the problem is with the link that some of you are experiencing. I have all the firewall, anti-virus, spam blocker, (all that crap) and it works fine for me. Sorry for any inconvience.

bonzosrightfoot Guest
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0545408/

Nancy Marchand, Tony's mother on "The Sopranos"

Ted Challinor Guest
    comic actor Richard Beckinsale, father of actresses Kate and Samantha.....still working on long-forgotten BBC comedy series Bloomers

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Wasnt Coach from Cheers in this thing ? I thought Coach died during taping of the show.

mammys right the link froze and shut down my putter so I wont try to reclick it again
    Yeah, he was in the original post.

fwiw I go to listverse all the time and have never had a problem with it, link worked fine for me.

The only ones I remember were David Strickland on Suddenly Susan and the mom on Sopranos.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 01-22-2012 at 11:38 AM.

John Spencer-The West Wing

I haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I thought of Michael Conrad (Sgt Esterhouse) from Hill Street Blues.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Andy Whitfield of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Forever-27 Guest
    Yea betttie, that's when the link sent my pc into meltdown. I didn't see that

Zara Cully- The Jeffersons "Mother Jefferson"

Joseph Kearns- Dennis the Menace "George Wilson"

Jim Davis- Dallas- "Jock Ewing"

MorbidChrissy Guest
    David Strickland from Suddenly Susan.

David Dukes (used to be on Dawson's Creek. Died filming Rose Red.)

Frances Heflin (Mona Kane Erica Kane's mom, All My Children)

[SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Town Without Pity Guest
    John Hexum

Quote Originally Posted by Town Without Pity View Post
    John Hexum
    That was really sad when that happened!
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    That was really sad when that happened!
    Yes it was, just another reason there is no reason to be messing around with gun, "Loaded or Not". Don't get me wrong, I grew up around guns, can shoot a bullseye 9 out of 10 times. Never played with guns, to much tragedy.

Forever-27 Guest
    No kidding Zoe, I just watched that on sci fi channel a few days ago. Duke's charector was killed off in rose red. I didn't know he died during the filming

havoc Guest
    [QUOTE=Zoe_Zeppelin;1251987]David Dukes (used to be on Dawson's Creek. Died filming Rose Red.)

[QUOTE]

I didn't know that!

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    I remember that episode and it was done well.

Bidmor Guest
    I remember when Jim Davis died and later when the writers had Jock Ewing die in a helicopter crash. Davis' character was replaced by Clayton Farlow (a widower), played by Howard Keel, an old flame of Ellie, and they later married which JR didn't like at all and fodder more sub-plots. But it was a shock when Davis died, being that Dallas was so popular.

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzosrightfoot View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is with the link that some of you are experiencing. I have all the firewall, anti-virus, spam blocker, (all that crap) and it works fine for me. Sorry for any inconvience.

its cool man not your fault. Some of our computers probably need flash updates and so forth. Not everyone is running windows. I am running Ubuntu (Linix) I had to update my drivers and i can see everything now. So its all good

Starstruck Guest
    Mr Hopper

I am SHOCKED nobody brought up Jim Henson creator of the Muppetts and voice of Kermit.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

radiojane Guest
    I love how the phil hartman entry says he played a tv anchor when the name of the damned show was Newsradio! lol

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I love how the phil hartman entry says he played a tv anchor when the name of the damned show was Newsradio! lol
    Man I was totally bummed out when this happened. Phil was one of a kind. Tragic ending. Everytime I hear his voice or see NewsRadio on I say a little prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzosrightfoot View Post

Nancy Marchand, Tony's mother on "The Sopranos"
    If you watch the last episode she was in, in her very last scene she is in a chair in her home talking (arguing, rather) to Tony and one of the kids. When the camera turns to her for her parts of the conversation, you will notice she has a different hair-do in three consecutive shots. It looked like they cobbled together out-takes from previous episodes to contrive her conversation. Also from the behind shots it is evident a double was portraying her.

Did Peter Duel off himself while Alias Smith & Jones was still running?
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Did Peter Duel off himself while Alias Smith & Jones was still running?
    Without looking it up as I know there is a write up on him on the site, as I recall yes he did commit suicide during that show, which sucked, I like that show...the replacement just didn't make it. Peter had such a smile.

Plano Mark Guest
    Ward Bond on the old TV western "Wagon Train."

Samantha Smith (Lime Street)

Kevin Peter Hall (Harry and the Hendersons)
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

OMyStarz Guest
    Will Geer - The Waltons - 4/22/78
    John Ritter - 8 Simple Rules - 9/11/03

Does Steve Irwin count (9/4/06)? Wasn't he filming a TV Documentary?

I don't know if soaps count in this list but Philip Carey passed away during "One Life to Live"s run.

also, Rebecca Schaeffer during "My Sister Sam"

luckyinlove Guest
    Billy Mays died while "Pitchmen" was in its first season

Bewitched lost 2 reoccuring stars Alice Pearce the original Gladys Kravitz in 1966, and Marion Lorne who played Samantha's aunt Clara in 1968 both posthumously won emmys after they died. Bea Benaderet & Smiley Burnette on Petticoat Junction. 2 CBS soap actresses : Helen Wagner and Darlene Conley