Thread: Sarah Burke

aedgar5000 Guest

Sarah Burke

Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke succumbed to injuries Thursday morning that she sustained in a fall Jan. 10 while training in the superpipe at Park City Mountain Resort.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-injuries.html

2. 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

ChefCookChemist Guest
    Rest in Peace to her. I saw her name trending on Twitter and wondered who she was. So sad that she had to die so young too.

1karenhb Guest
    So sorry to hear this. It didn't look good, but you always hope they will pull through.

I understand she was as beautiful a lady inside as out. She went doing what she loved...but that doesn't make it any less sad.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

This is just so tragic. She was a beautiful young woman and really talented. She fought successfully to have free-skiing included in the 2014 Olympics and she was favoured to win gold.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...urke-dies?bn=1

Also, this happened in the same half-pipe where Kevin Pearce's career was ended in a similar way. He survived his crash but he'll never compete again.

rjbrasher Guest
    had a feeling she was going to die, as a rule when they go into a coma that is it. poor girl. RIP, now she can tackle the puffy clouds.

oh, damn.
    rest in peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rest in peace...so sad.
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aedgar5000 Guest

Rest in peace, Sarah. Very sad to hear. I too had hoped she would pull through.

I just heard her family/friends are now trying to raise LOTS of money. Apparently, she rang up a $550,000 hospital bill in Utah.

Why would someone who engages in a potentially dangerous sport go down to the US to train without making sure she had American health insurance? Or at least some sort of extension of her Canadian coverage for her time in the US? Weird...

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I just heard her family/friends are now trying to raise LOTS of money. Apparently, she rang up a $550,000 hospital bill in Utah.

Why would someone who engages in a potentially dangerous sport go down to the US to train without making sure she had American health insurance? Or at least some sort of extension of her Canadian coverage for her time in the US? Weird...
    Wow. Agreed, duster. I'm surprised that she didn't have some type of coverage in case of injury. Hell, just a broken arm or leg would cost big bucks. What a shame for her family and friends who are already down.

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    Wow. Agreed, duster. I'm surprised that she didn't have some type of coverage in case of injury. Hell, just a broken arm or leg would cost big bucks. What a shame for her family and friends who are already down.

This really is a sad thing. I saw her and she was great. I think she would have won the Gold. I'm thinking about her insurance, that since they might consider her sport to dangerous, she may not have been able to get insurance or afford what they were asking. Just because she was a champion does not mean she or her family had lots of money. I would send money to help pay the costs, she gave us much enjoyment.

Just saw this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/01/20/bc-sarah-burke-medical-fees.html

Also, as a pro skier who's sponsored to the hilt, wouldn't she have enough money banked to cover that kind of bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Town Without Pity View Post
    This really is a sad thing. I saw her and she was great. I think she would have won the Gold. I'm thinking about her insurance, that since they might consider her sport to dangerous, she may not have been able to get insurance or afford what they were asking. Just because she was a champion does not mean she or her family had lots of money. I would send money to help pay the costs, she gave us much enjoyment.
    I just read that she was insured by the Canadian Snow Sports Association. But since she was particpating in an unsanctioned event...I'd really like ot think that people would have the foresight to check into this kind of thing before travelling and comepting outside the country.

Having saidf that, I believed until recently that if I was injured outside the country, I'd be covered by the provincial health insurance plan. We're not. Oops.

aedgar5000 Guest
    This would be a golden opportunity for Monster sports drinks to step up, pay this bill, and reap a mountain of positive publicity. I see that the family and friends have already raised $99,000. Wow.

As an aside, it's sad that the story around Sarah has been reduced to money, but such is the world in which we live, I guess.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I just read that she was insured by the Canadian Snow Sports Association. But since she was particpating in an unsanctioned event...I'd really like ot think that people would have the foresight to check into this kind of thing before travelling and comepting outside the country.

Having saidf that, I believed until recently that if I was injured outside the country, I'd be covered by the provincial health insurance plan. We're not. Oops.
    That is even sadder. You would think you all would be covered. And you'd think her and her sponsers would know that. Just sad.

Jacksmum Guest

Jacksmum Guest
    I thought the same thing. I've travelled to a lot of places and always ASSumed. Yikes.

Yes, very sad news to hear about what
    happened to her.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Seems the cost of Sarah's care was overblown. It is actually closer to $200,000, and of this article it was estimated that the family had already received $185,000.

http://www.timescolonist.com/touch/s...tml?id=6028769

We have a occasional poster on a gossip site I read/comment on (who apparently is well-connected in Hollywood, or at least knows people who know people) who said that, when news of the $550K bill came out, 2 writer/producers quietly contacted their accountants and asked them to donate enough to cover the hospital bills. No, we don't know who the charitable people are, and they don't want their names going public; this is a private kindness for the family of a lovely young woman they apparently knew, who was beautiful inside and out. (And no, we don't know who our mystery commenter is, either, although we have some suspicions...)

aedgar5000 Guest
    The fundraising campaign has raised enough money to cover all of the medical bills. They have raised around $257,000 so far:

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/sta...pDbigXesw.cspx

Town Without Pity Guest
    Bless those contributers. It's so nice to see that people will dig in when needed, not a easy thing to day at this day and age.

RaRaRamona Guest
    She was adorable. Sweet for the family to donate her organs.

Now on to the good stuff...so is the bill 500K or 200K? What will they do with all the overflow donations?

aedgar5000 Guest
    It was the $200,000 figure, RaRa. As for the overflow:

"Spencer (Sarah's agent), in a release issued through the Canadian Freestyle Ski Association, said that once Burke’s medical bills are paid, further contributions to the fund will be used “to establish a foundation to honour Sarah’s legacy and promote the ideals she valued and embodied.”

RaRaRamona Guest
    There are so many funds set up it's a wonder anyone has to pay for healthcare.

The ending of Sarah is sad. Rest in peace.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Winter X-Games did a solemn tribute to Sarah tonight:
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7508508

Another good article about Sarah:
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/7506348/sar...mes-aspen-2012

Sarah's website with videos of her scaring her friends. She was a bit of a prankster :
    http://scarah.com/

Starstruck Guest
    Very sad thing, she looked like a beautiful young woman.

On the other hand the medical bill!!!! JEBUS!!!!

How does a country like America not have universal health care????

We have had it here in Australia for like forever and at least you know it doesn't matter what happens
    you will get the medical care you need without having to worry about getting slugged with bills like that.