Thread: Pat Morita

ComputerGuy Guest

Pat Morita

Karate Kid is on TV Right now

kelbons Guest
    I just loved him to death in Happy Days! What a sense of humor!

He was one of my favs on Happy Days. He guested a few times on MASH and was funny as hell.

JeffD Guest
    Saw him once at an Angels game. He sang the National Anthem. He walked by us on his way to the field. We scored 14th row seats behind home plate from a scalper out front.

Anyway, he loved poker. Beyond that, fill me in. : )

Oh, I should add, he did some Karate Kid moves on his way back to his seat.
    Last edited by JeffD; 10-10-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Danny62 Guest
    I loved him in the few episodes of M*A*S*H.

Also he did some Sanford & Son episodes. I think he is at the same cemetery as Redd Foxx in Las Vegas?

ComputerGuy Guest
    According to Findagrave

Burial:
    Palm Valley View Memorial Park
    Las Vegas
    Clark County
    Nevada, USA

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    According to Findagrave

Burial:
    Palm Valley View Memorial Park
    Las Vegas
    Clark County
    Nevada, USA
    Yeah it just doesn't say where? I visited Redd Foxx's grave in Sept and wanted to see pat's but had no Idea where to look. I guess I should have went to the office and asked!!!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Sometimes cemetery office folks are less than cooperative when asking about the locale of a celebrity "resident".

erin Guest
    I was shocked, and a bit saddened, to learn that he died from complications of alcoholism. I never thought of him as someone who would drink themself to death.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Oh, I should add, he did some Karate Kid moves on his way back to his seat.
    Did he practice martial arts for real ? I had always wondered about that.

Kareika Guest
    An old boyfriend of mine was a bodyguard for him when he was shooting a movie in Ottawa, Canada in the 90's. He said that he was just the nicest guy on the planet and that they spent a lot of time drinking or finding things to drink.

mike Guest
    Pat Morita only trained for six months for the Karate Kid Movie.That according to him.

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    Did he practice martial arts for real ? I had always wondered about that.
    I don't know but the crowd loved it.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I may be mistaken but wasn't Pat Morita one of the over 264,000 Japanese Americans that FDR sent to those segregation/detention camps during WW II?
    That's a pretty obscene thing to happen that somehow people just give a pass to.

McFeely Guest
    I liked how he would parody himself like in Spongebob and Robot Chicken. Pat Morita was great even in the not-so-great movies like Collision Course. I really had no clue that he battled with Alcoholism, how sad! =(

was known as 'the hip nip' during stand up comedy days
    pull the string!

kelbons Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Karate Kid is on TV Right now
    When is "The Karate Kid" NOT on TV???

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I may be mistaken but wasn't Pat Morita one of the over 264,000 Japanese Americans that FDR sent to those segregation/detention camps during WW II?
    That's a pretty obscene thing to happen that somehow people just give a pass to.
    I agree.
    It seems to me that the prejudice against Japenese/Americans isn't thought about as much as it is against blacks. It's a history that isn't talked about as much as the segregation in the south. The J/A were rounded up and put in jail for doing nothing!
    It's "funny" how they call these legal jails "camps." Camp is supposed to be a fun place to go, isn't it? These camps certainly weren't fun for jews the Japenese/Americans or others who white governments wanted to oppress.
    OK I'm stepping off the soapbox now.

GiantBryan Guest
    Camp is a term used by the Army to designate...

A military camp or bivouac is a semi-permanent facility for the lodging of an army. Camps are erected when a military force travels away from a major installation or fort during training or operations

Although I agree with you, it was not right to move Americans internment camps, they were a whole lot bigger than jails. And Black Americans were treated a whole lot worst that Japenese Americans.

Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I agree.
    It seems to me that the prejudice against Japenese/Americans isn't thought about as much as it is against blacks. It's a history that isn't talked about as much as the segregation in the south. The J/A were rounded up and put in jail for doing nothing!
    It's "funny" how they call these legal jails "camps." Camp is supposed to be a fun place to go, isn't it? These camps certainly weren't fun for jews the Japenese/Americans or others who white governments wanted to oppress.
    OK I'm stepping off the soapbox now.

raymel1 Guest
    What a great actor. Sadly he was cast with Jay Leno in Collision Course (1989) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097081/ Possibly one of the absolute worst movies of all time.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by raymel1 View Post
    What a great actor. Sadly he was cast with Jay Leno in Collision Course (1989) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097081/ Possibly one of the absolute worst movies of all time.
    Well if it had Jay Leno in it I can't help but wonder why! He is a big dork.

Back to Pat I remember him fondly on M*A*S*H and Sanford & Son.

I think he did some B movie stuff for the Sci-Fi channel years back as well.

JestersKiss Guest

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    I was shocked, and a bit saddened, to learn that he died from complications of alcoholism. I never thought of him as someone who would drink themself to death.
    Wow. I never knew thats what he died from! And you're right, he didn't seem like someone who would drink himself to death!

Loved him on M*A*S*H, but I was bummed when I found out he was a raging alcoholic.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Amber Raye Guest
    He was the emperor from Mulan!

It's such a shame he died..

deathpool Guest
    Yeah i was shocked when he died. I loved him in the Karate Kid

Didn't know he died....err wiped off.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

deathpool Guest
    oh yeah i remember that wipe on wipe off lol

SweetWickedHellKatEvil Guest
    I never realized Pat was an alcoholic. What a shame. If he only knew what joy and laughter he brought to people through his comedic talent. I really don't have a favorite. I like all of his work. There is not a scene in the bunch.

Snudgie Guest
    Mr Miyagi!!....He was so cute and very cool....The Karate Kid is a classic....Ralph Macchio was a cutie....I daren't find a photo of him now...it'll depress me...Wax on...Wax off!!!...RIP Pat....x

jay Guest
    He was great as Redd Foxx's neighbour Achoo in a few episodes of Sanford and Son.

The Odd Couple and Married with Children

He was on those shows too. As always, he was hilarious.

Seagorath Guest
    "Don't know...never been attacked by tree." ---Miyagi

Forever-27 Guest
    He was awsome on Happy Days as Arnold the owner of the diner. He never had a steady part in that series thought. He was only in select episodes.

His shinning moments were on Sanford and Son as the neighbor/friend Achoo. Right on Jay, way to remember that.

I never liked any of the karate kid movies. I saw part of one of them and quickly left the theater

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBryan View Post
    Camp is a term used by the Army to designate...

A military camp or bivouac is a semi-permanent facility for the lodging of an army. Camps are erected when a military force travels away from a major installation or fort during training or operations

Although I agree with you, it was not right to move Americans internment camps, they were a whole lot bigger than jails. And Black Americans were treated a whole lot worst that Japenese Americans.

Bryan
    Bryan the issue from my perspective is less the camp and more hoe opportunists were allowed to seize their property from them while they were interned. They got pennies on the dollar if they were lucky enough to get that. Their businesses were sold or put into a receivership and the people involved were pretty much all patronage positions.
    Decent hardworking folks lost everything.
    Also people forget that Canada actually had harsher internment camps and property forfiture laws than in the US.
    No our finest hour for sure.
    http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=225
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    My mother went to high school with him in McFarland, California. When he got sent to the camp he wrote her letters. It wasn't romatic, they were just good friends. She didn't keep the letters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He was cool, didn't know he died from Alcohol. RIP.

The Karate Kid movies were alright, even the one with Hilary Swank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...