Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnie Ripperton

Minnie Ripperton

She had a beautiful voice, didn't she? Did you know that Maya Rudolph from SNL is her daughter and the song, "Loving You" was written for her?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    She had a beautiful voice, didn't she? Did you know that Maya Rudolph from SNL is her daughter and the song, "Loving You" was written for her?

She had a range only equaled by Karen Cartenter. That really high not isn't easy to hit. (I'm hoping to oneday get married and go for it lol.) Joking aside, she is said to be one of only a hand full of people that can hit thaat note.

Danny62 Guest
    She had a rare five-octave vocal range, she displayed the ability to imitate varied instrumentation.

4. 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
    Reason
    Dupe ID for Danny62 used during his talking to himself phase.

monroe27 Guest
    I Love Minnie Riperton's voice. "Lovin You" is one of my all time favorite songs. It is sad that she is no longer with us. I wonder what she would be up to if she was.

RoRo Guest
    I liked her music but I gotta say that really high note kills me like nails on a chalkboard..Mariah Carey has the same effect on me

ghoulgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    Towards the end of the song you can hear her singing "Maya Maya Maya" in fact.
    I always thought that was "la la la la...", I'll have to listen more carefully...

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    I always thought that was "la la la la...", I'll have to listen more carefully...

Me Too!

KristinEileen Guest
    Maya Rudolph also has a nice singing voice, I don't know if youtube has it or not but if you can look up the episode with gwyneth paltrow hosting, they sing together...and they are friends outside of showbiz...

What happened to Minnie?

Minnie died of breast cancer in 78, I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

star82 Guest

Such a pretty song!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ene/minnie.jpg

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    It is "la la la la la" through most of the song- but at the very end she adds "Maya Maya Maya". Must be kind of neat to have your name immortalized in song like that, especially with your Mom doing the singing.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Maya Maya I think I'm going to diya...I've been told the cut that out because
    it wasn't "radio friendly"

Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    That's cold.

15. 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Homicide Cop View Post
    That's cold.
    as a corpse....

monroe27 Guest

Thumbs down

Juvenille, and so unfunny

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    Juvenille, and so unfunny
    I'm sorry....how bout the line "rumor, rumor I think I have a tumor"

Captain Kundalini Guest

Thumbs down

I'm sorry....how bout the line "rumor, rumor I think I have a tumor"
    Thanks for proving yourself.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I thought Minnie died from a brain tumor??

Jazzmom Guest
    Tammy Terrell died from a brain tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I thought Minnie died from a brain tumor??

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmom View Post
    Tammy Terrell died from a brain tumor.

I thought Minnie died of a heart attack...

Jazzmom Guest
    Breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    I thought Minnie died of a heart attack...

1977 - she had realized she was suffering from malignant breast cancer
    and in 1978, Minnie became chairman of the American Cancer Society.

Minnie died from cancer on the 12th of July 1979.

It was reported that during her final days, Minnie had a bad reaction to
    the pain killing drugs administered to her, so she was allowed to use
    marijuana to alleviate the situation.

Jaynrand Guest
    Nice girl, I guess, but like RORO wrote that song and that voice got on my last nerve. I remember she was nominated for something....don't think it was a Grammy, I forget...and didn't win. She got up later to present and gave that irritating voice trill like an FU to the people who didn't vote for her.

After that, didn't like her at all.

Kathyf Guest
    That was one of my favorite songs growing up.

Minnie Riperton

An amazing talent, that left us much too soon. That she died of breast cancer at the age of 31 is unbelievable.

At least we have her daughter Maya Rudolph to entertain us now.

Any thoughts?

-K.

singer and songwriter noted for her rare five and a half octave vocal range
    "Lovin' You" -1975 hit single

In 1976, Riperton revealed to Flip Wilson, who was guest-hosting for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, that she had undergone a mastectomy due to breast cancer. At the time of her diagnosis, Minnie found out that her cancer had already spread to the lymphatic system. Despite such a grim prognosis, Minnie continued touring in 1977 and 1978, and became the National spokesperson for the American Cancer Society 78-79 campaigne. Eventually the cancer would take its toll, and by June 1979, Minnie was confined to bed. She entered Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California for the last time on July 10. On Thursday July 12, 1979, Minnie Riperton died peacefully in her husband's arms. According to Jet magazine's August 3, 1979 issue, Minnie and her husband were listening to a recording of a song Stevie Wonder had written for her when she died. Her family inscribed her headstone with lyric of her most famous song "Lovin you is easy cause you're beautiful".
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I'll have to seen if I can find video of her on YouTube. Still can't place her.

Forever-27 Guest
    Nobody could hit the high F like she did.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I remember seeing her on Merv in the late 70's and she was ill at that point with breast cancer and some dude sitting next to her (the guy who played Dame Edna....I think) by accident hit her in the boob with his elbow...it was very very awkward

BTW, her hit song makes my dog howl...not kidding...I never cared for it but I know she was talented

Jazbabee Guest
    Hey Mods......can you merge this with the earlier Minnie Ripperton thread ?? Thanx

disco Guest
    she sang better n most

poppie Guest
    Minnie Ripperton was a talent most close to Roberta Flack style, IMO. Wonderful voice, wonderful music. I think we all miss her music.

Martini Guest
    Remember when musicians actually sang live?!! An amazing voice that was silenced far too early.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lX3K35jvY9A

The Grim Reefer Guest

minnies daughter

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

Doesn't that song have the words "making love to u is all i wanna do"? How could that be for her daughter?

spoiledkitty Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnie_Riperton
    On VH1 one hit wonders it said that it was a tribute to maya, and it showed the part at the end when she sang maya,maya,maya
    Last edited by spoiledkitty; 02-27-2008 at 03:45 PM.

The Grim Reefer Guest

minnies daughter

Ok, fair enough. Some of the words just dont match though. Maybe it is dedicated to her rather than about her. Thanks for the info

Hoodoo Guest
    I read on a website that the song was a distraction for Maya so Minnie could have some extra "alone" time with her husband. Baby Maya must have liked the melody. I remember there were certain songs that I could play when my daughter was a baby that would soothe her for a while.

Danny62 Guest
    I visited her grave last Sept at Westwood Memorial park.

JestersKiss Guest

Wow, I had no idea that Minnie Riperton was dead! I still own the 45 of that song. (Old, I'm so old...)
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

pull the string!

Sam Guest
    Minnie could teach fish to sing!

Forever-27 Guest
    She did alot of stuff with Stevie Wonder. She included 2 of his songs on her album here. Denise Williams does alot of background vocals on it also. The label says she was the former lead singer for the band " The Rotory Connection "

Here is her 1975 Perfect Angel album. This album has her staple " Lovin' You " song. Heres she is about 24 years old.

Love the fro !

ozzysmom Guest

ozzysmom Guest
    live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJo2c0GjZv0

I get the chills when she hits that high note! This is my favorite song from my childhood years, well this and Donny Osmond singing "Puppy Love" LOL

TallulahDahling Guest
    Oh I remember her as a kid---"Lovin' You" was all over the radio.
    Then Mariah came along and everyone was comparing.......still love Minnie.
    And what about that urban legend about the lion?
    See, Minnie? You are immortal!

ozzysmom Guest
    A lion? Please dish.....

unihikid Guest
    it was on youtube for the longest,h/o let me find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jUDR...eature=related

ozzysmom Guest
    WOW, I had no idea that happened! Great video, nice to see Sammy and Richard in their prime again! Thanks for sharing!!

Sam Guest
    She was a great singer, Freda Payne once said that she admired her for her vocal range, still I can't help but believe that "Lovin' You" is played on a loop in HELL!