Thread: The Queen Mum

cachluv Guest

The Queen Mum

08/04/1900---03/30/2002

Britain's Queen Mother, Elizabeth, who won the country's loyalty and admiration during World War II at the side of King George VI, died in her sleep at Buckingham Palace. She was 101 years old upon passing.

Queen Elizabeth II was at her mother's bedside when the matriarch of the royal family died at 3:15 p.m. (10:15 a.m. EST) at Royal Lodge in Windsor, said a Palace spokesman.

Her death came less than two months after the death of her younger daughter, Princess Margaret, at age 71.

The Queen Mother "had become increasingly frail in recent weeks following her bad cough and chest infection over Christmas," a Palace spokesman said. "Her condition deteriorated this morning and her doctors were called." She then "died peacefully in her sleep."

Elizabeth's coffin is expected to be moved to the Royal Chapel of All Saints in Windsor Great Park Sunday morning.

She was as popular at the end of her life as she had been a half-century before.

She was best known to younger generations as the mother of the queen and grandmother of Prince Charles.

But those who were young when German bombs rained down on London and the country awaited Hitler's invasion remembered her as the queen who stayed when she could have fled to Canada, who endured the blitz with them and visited their shattered homes and bomb shelters.

As queen consort to the monarch, George VI, she might have been expected to retire from public life at his death in 1952. But after their daughter's succession to the throne, she took a new title, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, and a full load of royal duties, which she carried into her 90s.

Over two generations of dramatic social change and upheaval, through the abdication crisis that put her reluctant husband on the throne in 1936, the devastation of World War II and the royal family breakups of the 1990s, the Queen Mother emerged as a symbol of the monarchy at its best.

On her 80th birthday, she even won praise from William Hamilton, a lawmaker who vehemently opposed the monarchy.

"If there had ever been a revolution in Britain in the last 80 years, she surely would have been spared," Hamilton said. "Unlike some of her brood, she never seems to put a foot wrong."

The former Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, daughter of a Scottish earl, was married in 1923 to Prince Albert, Duke of York, second son of King George V.

They had two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret Rose, and lived quietly until 1936. The duke's elder brother succeeded to the throne that January as King Edward VIII, and by mid-December had abdicated to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson.

The Duke of York took the throne as King George VI, a reluctant monarch whom many believed unsuited to the job.

But the steadfastness and sympathy of the new king and his wife through the deprivation and danger of World War II cemented a bond with the nation that held the Queen Mother firmly in British affections for the next half-century.

The Queen Mother made fewer appearances in her mid-90s when she suffered from arthritis. She overcame much of the problem when, at age 95, she underwent a hip replacement in November 1995. She walked out of the hospital 18 days later, waving aside offers of assistance.

She broke the other hip while out viewing horses on a bitter January day in 1997, and had an emergency replacement.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    She was my best Royal

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    She was my best Royal
    Nice to know, I always thought she had a kind aura.

She seemed more in touch with her people.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Kathyf Guest
    At 101 Does anyone know if she was still pretty 'with it' when she died. I mean her mind can't figure out right word.

She was still coherint near the end. She never near her daughter Margaret died. The Queen did not want her mother to know because it would of killed her. Well she died soon thereafter. But she was pretty cool except she lived in a bygone era and was pretty much in the millions of pounds debt

Jazbabee Guest
    She is probably the royal I would have most wanted to meet

poppie Guest
    There are pictures of the Queen Mum attending Princess Margaret's funeral. Never any rumors that the old girl was not with it mentally. She did like her gin toddy each day, too, right up to the end. I was so impressed and proud when Princess Anne donned her military uniform and marched behind the Queen Mum's casket with Prince Charles, etc.

Say what you like about her, she was offered to go bugger off into the bush when the war was on. She decided to stick around and when the palace got bombed she was in the thick of it, very well respected.

Liked a pink gin A LOT I heard but hey, she was a big girl.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

the Queen Mum one elegant lady...click below for her life in pictures

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1093.asp
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 12-01-2007 at 12:01 AM.

I liked her, don't care too much for the rest of that bunch.

Jazbabee Guest
    Damn time flies.....it doesn't seem like 5 years since she passed !!!

hoxharding Guest
    Did she have Corgies? All I recall is Diana's former butler talking about Corgies. He talked about one time, the Corgies attacked one of their own and tore the poor dog's
    stomach out. (She lived and was repaired)

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Did she have Corgies? All I recall is Diana's former butler talking about Corgies. He talked about one time, the Corgies attacked one of their own and tore the poor dog's
    stomach out. (She lived and was repaired)
    Yes, the Queen and the Queen Mother both have/had Corgi's. Is it Paul Burrell your talking about? I hate him, he is such a fucking dooschbag. Not because I liked Diana imparticularly, but because the man has no eff'n morals whatsoever. Anyway, I shall stop hijacking Queen Mothers thread, with talk of such a twat of a man.

poppie Guest
    Serendipty - Wonderful picture of the Queen Mum. Thanks for the post. She was a marvelous woman, and she gave people in the UK, and the entire world, so much energy, loyalty to go forth and say - naturally in royal words - to fuck the Germans!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Serendipty - Wonderful picture of the Queen Mum. Thanks for the post. She was a marvelous woman, and she gave people in the UK, and the entire world, so much energy, loyalty to go forth and say - naturally in royal words - to fuck the Germans!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree. She was the last of a dying breed. A proper Royal. Now we are stuck in a iffy inbetween situation. We have a traditional Queen...traditional values and beliefs. And then we have our next King...William [Charles will never be King] who trys to be as ''normal'' as he possibly can. Goes out with his brother in London, get's drunk, punches photographers. I personally can't wait till he becomes King, because we will finally have someone on the throne who is in touch with the people.

poppie Guest
    Suck - I am not English; am third generation Irish American so you know where my loyalities lie. I have been to UK many, many times and love the heck out of being there. None of my business, but IMO Queen Elizabeth will never give up the throne for Charles. She was raised from an early ago, that she will never stop being Queen until her death. As for Charles, he is now 59 years old. The Queen is 80 years old and could live another ten years. So, no matter what we think of Prince Charles, he will not be long on the Throne, if at all. Yes, William and Harry were raised to "march to a different drummer" and God bless Princes Diana for doing so. One thing I had longed for and prayed for - That between the two, that Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson had rebelled to the establishment and said NO MORE HATS. Damn, lose the hats, Liz, Camilla, etc.

hoxharding Guest

Butler

[quote=SuckMyKiss;72712]Yes, the Queen and the Queen Mother both have/had Corgi's. Is it Paul Burrell your talking about?

Yup, Paul Burrell who has written 2 books about Diana. I don't know if the thing about the dog is true, but it freaked me out.

Yeah, poor Charles, he's been waiting his whole life to be King, and probably never will! Oh well, at least he has the love of his life now.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Yeah, poor Charles, he's been waiting his whole life to be King, and probably never will! Oh well, at least he has the love of his life now.
    Poor Charles my ass!! He never deserved to be King. He is a massive doosch. The only thing bigger than his dooschiness are those massive wingnuts on the side of his head.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I agree. She was the last of a dying breed. A proper Royal. Now we are stuck in a iffy inbetween situation. We have a traditional Queen...traditional values and beliefs. And then we have our next King...William [Charles will never be King] who trys to be as ''normal'' as he possibly can. Goes out with his brother in London, get's drunk, punches photographers. I personally can't wait till he becomes King, because we will finally have someone on the throne who is in touch with the people.
    That is going to be damn interesting when William takes the throne.
    I saw an interview with both "the boys" not long ago, they were both warm and very relaxed guys, smiling and joking.
    Is there ever any talk about whether Charles resents the fact that he will be by-passed?

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    That is going to be damn interesting when William takes the throne.
    I saw an interview with both "the boys" not long ago, they were both warm and very relaxed guys, smiling and joking.
    Is there ever any talk about whether Charles resents the fact that he will be by-passed?

Charles won't pass the throne onto William. He's already taken on extra royal duties and has implied he will invest William as the Prince of Wales.

A while ago, fuelled by the Camilla rows, there was wild speculation that he would pass his accession onto William but it was nothing more than rumour.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Charles won't pass the throne onto William. He's already taken on extra royal duties and has implied he will invest William as the Prince of Wales.

A while ago, fuelled by the Camilla rows, there was wild speculation that he would pass his accession onto William but it was nothing more than rumour.
    This is actually the first time I have heard someone from there say this.
    Everyone seems to think he won't be able to do the job <shrugs>

There's only ever been speculation that he won't take the throne whereas the evidence has always shown otherwise. He's being prepared now by being giving more duties. The most telling of which was his recent visit to the heads of commonwealth meeting with his mum. That act was widely reported and a bit of a giveaway and a lot of people missed the significance of the visit.

I think he'll be fine as the royals no longer have to speak or think for themselves. And in the case of Prince Phillip, no one really wants him to.

I remember hearing somewhere that Camilla will not be addressed as Queen if Charles becomes King; she will be addressed as something else. Anyone know?

Back in 1997, I was working at the Phoenix Art Museum. Every fall, Phoenix would have this Uk/Az festival throughout the town. Well, one particular evening, we (PAM) were blessed with a visit from Princess Anne. I was part of the receiving line and she seemed "nice". You could tell she was well trained to make conversation with everybody because she had a different question for each person she met.
    She was surrounded with Phoenix PD, Interpol, Scotland Yard, FBI, Secret Service agents...it was neat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Oh, he'll never pass up the throne. Ain't happening. and William is not so impressive.

I once read the Queen Mum commented to someone with a twinkle in her eye, "everyone thinks I'm so sweet and nice--but I'm not!" I liked her for that, sorta.

Noelle Page Guest
    But why have a king who is in touch with the people? What's the point of that? If you're gonna believe in a fairy story--go all the way, I say! You Brits won't like it if he's too common, even if you think it sounds great in theory.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Back in 1997, I was working at the Phoenix Art Museum. Every fall, Phoenix would have this Uk/Az festival throughout the town. Well, one particular evening, we (PAM) were blessed with a visit from Princess Anne. I was part of the receiving line and she seemed "nice". You could tell she was well trained to make conversation with everybody because she had a different question for each person she met.
    She was surrounded with Phoenix PD, Interpol, Scotland Yard, FBI, Secret Service agents...it was neat.
    She would have been a good monarch. I like her daughter, too.

Nowereman Guest
    I thought the old bag would never die.

Queen Mother Condolences - Unexpurgated Version

http://www.badpets.net/Humor/Lists/QueenMother.html
    Last edited by Nowereman; 12-04-2007 at 06:01 PM.

tngirl1967 Guest
    I thought she was beautiful in her younger years, and definitely classy.
    I think Camilla should be addressed as Queen Horseyface if Charles takes the throne!

Oh yes, I thought the dog story was that one of the other dog breeds, one of the hunting dogs, got hold of a corgi and killed it.....or is that another story? Wasn't it one of Princess Anne's hunting dogs that killed a corgi?

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    I remember hearing somewhere that Camilla will not be addressed as Queen if Charles becomes King; she will be addressed as something else. Anyone know?
    Camilla, despite what anyone thinks, will become Queen when Charles becomes King.

It is said she will be styled [named] "Princess Consort" but that is just to shut people up. She will be Queen.

And to anyone who looks objectively, she is not an ugly woman. She isn't 25 years old, so one should expect some aging. At least she isn't face lifting herself into weirdness.

Noelle Page Guest
    I like old Camilla. I'd rather have gin-and-tonics with her than drama with Di.
    Then again, I like Heather Mills!

The Queen really has no respect for Charles who is a total looser and has to have it his way. Camilla is so proud she has desendents for whores too...The press are always quick to point out how much Camilla is loved by the public which I found out is a total lie. Okay there are people out there so happy for them but in the end most of the people in GB could give a rats ass about them. The Queen bless her really tries

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Shortly after the death, Lillibit auctioned off her mother's colostomy bag on Ebay!