Thread: Bobby Darin

Bobby Darin

Acclaimed Singer, Entertainer. Robert Walden Cassotto was born to a poor, working-class family in the Bronx, New York, and his father died a few months before he was born. His English mother had been a professional entertainer for many years. After her husbands death, she was forced to raise Bobby, and his sister Nina, on welfare payments. Darin was a sickly child and at 8 had rheumatic fever. This disease left him with a weakened heart, a condition that he would suffer from the rest of his life. After high school, Darin attended college on a scholarship. Wanting a career in the New York theater, he left college to play small nightclubs around the city with a musical combo. As was common with ethnic minorities at the time, he changed his Italian name selecting the name out of the phone book, picking the first one that sounded usable. After three mediocre recordings, his career took off in 1958 when he released his unique rock song "Splish Splash" that became an instant hit, selling more than a million copies (originally released under the name of Dickie Do and the Don'ts). This was followed by more hits recorded in the same successful style. In 1959, Bobby Darin recorded "Dream Lover," song that would become a multi-million seller and one that he is still remembered for to this day. Darin's next song "Mack the Knife" relied heavily on the stylized vocal inflections developed by Frank Sinatra. the song sold two million copies and topped the charts for months. "Mack the Knife' won a Grammy Award as Record of the Year and Darin was voted Best New Artist. Darin made several movies, beginning in 1960 with Come September. He would later marry Sandra Dee. Darin received an Oscar nomination for his work in the 1963 film Capt. Newman M.D. He appeared in another eight films including State Fair (1962). In 1968, Darin discovered his "sister" Nina was really his mother, and his "mother" Polly was actually his Grandmother. The identity of his true father was never publicly disclosed. This painful revelation altered him for the rest of his life.In 1973, Darin died during heart surgery to repair a faulty heart valve. His body was donated to the UCLA medical school.

Kathyf Guest
    He was a good singer. Here is a few clips from his variety show, I didn't remember he had one. http://www.tvparty.com/darin.html

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Too bad he was largely overlooked those last few years. He was such a talented singer, though, and I bought his 3 CD set at the Virgin Mega Store, and played them in my van full of kids until they wore out! My kids were little back then, so all they got to listen to in the van was Bobby Darin. Now as teenagers they like him!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    anyone see the bio-pic on him with Kevin Spacey? for the life of me I can't think of the name...but I wanted to see it. i'm a fan of Kevin Spacey.

Beyond the Sea...

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    Beyond the Sea...
    thats it. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    Beyond the Sea...
    That's my favorite Darin song!

sickRick Guest
    Nope, favorite song has got to be "dream lover"

coincidentally, which is so freaky, as I typed this, a commercial for some video game called "Bioshock" came on and the commercial used Bobby's song, "beyond the sea"

damn that's freaky....

good song too....

unihikid Guest
    the movie is....odd but kinda good,if you take out "little bobby",also you can tell when a musical number(song AND DANCE!) is gonna come on.spacey does a good job,but yea its kinda too corney for me in the begining.

but golly,darin is/was awsome.in the movie it starts off as a scene from the coconut grove,about him making a bio pic,i wonder if it was true and where the biopic is now.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I loved Bd and his wife Sd. It was a shame that her molestation by her step father ruined their marriage or so it is said. Bobby was the love of her life. In the movie it seems as if Bobbt was kind of tough on her but I am sure that her drinking and depression was frustating but he was kind of a bully to her. either way I think he was great as an entertainer. I wonder why his sister never told him who his father was or maybe she didn't know? That is the way it was made out to be in the movie that she didn't know. I really got gloomy whenhe died and the same with Del Shannon, not mouring but felt that there was going to be no more great music from either one of them. So sad they went so young.

He was one of a kind. Like to see something on FAD about him, because there were apparently some real quirks to his lifestyle. He had no shortage of women - in fact, he seems to have had a real affection for orgies. No big deal today, but quite scandalous in the 50s/60s...

KarmaKat Guest
    Bobby was a really good example of "If you want it bad enough, anything is possible." Just look at all he accomplished.
    Beyond the Sea was a fantastic movie and Kevin Spacey was superb in it. You could tell it was a movie close to his heart.
    R.I.P Bobby you will be missed

Kevin Spacey made the movie for his mother who was a big fan of Bobby Darin. She died before she could see it.

unihikid Guest
    i dont see bobby being mean to sandy,i see it as any common couple who are rich and both are stars.but yea its a good movie.and yea i dont think bobs sis/mom knew who the father was.i wonder where thier son is....

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    i dont see bobby being mean to sandy,i see it as any common couple who are rich and both are stars.but yea its a good movie.and yea i dont think bobs sis/mom knew who the father was.i wonder where thier son is....
    Their son's name is Dodd and he's pretty active in keeping his dad's name both alive and protected. i heard he worked very closely with kevin spacey on making sure the movie was accurate. More about the whole clan is at http://www.bobbydarin.net/bobby.html

More Cheese Please Guest
    Dodd with Kevin Spacey

unihikid Guest
    wow he looks just like bobby.thats rad.

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Dodd with Kevin Spacey

Cool pic's.
    Thanks for posting them.
    Wow Spacey could be related he looks so similar.

cherryghost Guest
    My Favorite is Bobby doing "Mack the Knife"

goudsward Guest
    One of my favorite movie scenes is Bobby in Happy Mother's Day, Love George where he kicks the crap out of Ronnie Howard.

Bobby Darin's last movie, Darren McGavin's only movie as a director and Ron Howard getting his ass handed to him. Now that's a movie!

Lots of people, critics etc, seemed to like Kevin Spacy's singing - which I don't get at all. Spacy's voice is okay, but let's face it: He's an actor, not a singer. To me, the difference between Spacy's singing and Bobby Darin's was vast...

FannyB1923 Guest
    Bobby was a wonderful actor and had a memorable presence. He's sort of a legend now, but think if he hadn't died so young- what would he have accomplished?

We have another thread going of celebrities and their look-alike children- I was trying to find one of Dodd because he always looked like the mini-Bobby. In recent years he doesn't look so much like Bobby now. I think he's about 47 years old now and his dad died at 37, so maybe his looks have changed with aging?

Dodd must be an amazing strong person. He lost his dad so young and his mother had many demons. I read in a book that Bobby didn't want the money to ruin his son. He set up his will that Dodd couldn't get the principal of the estate until he was 35; hoping it would encourage him to get an education and career. Considering the sad endings of so many Hollywood children, this was a really smart move on BD's part.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 05-08-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added afterthought!

By all accounts, he was a thoughtful, intelligent guy - even if he could sometimes be difficult to work with...

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    He was one of a kind. Like to see something on FAD about him, because there were apparently some real quirks to his lifestyle. He had no shortage of women - in fact, he seems to have had a real affection for orgies. No big deal today, but quite scandalous in the 50s/60s...
    I used to love to watch Bobby's show on T.V. I remember when he would sing with different celeb ladies while on the show, he would be so flirty and look so deeply into their eyes. You could just tell he loved the ladies...

msmojorisin84 Guest

Bobby Darin FAD Page

Hi guys! I was just browsing on FAD..and for the life me could not find Bobby Darin's page. I thought that there was one..I could of course be wrong. Eh well! Does anyone know if there was one and it's been taken down..or what?

I don't recall ever seeing one. We should petition Scott for one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

There is definitely a Bobby Darin thread here on the forum, and it contains loads of interesting stuff, but there never has been a FAD page on him.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Well..pfft!

29. 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM

I don't remember ever seeing him, but I guess I was too young, so of course I don't have anything to compare, but I loved the movie with Kevin Spacey and he does sound remarkably like the recorded stuff I've heard. A little too old maybe, but it was a good movie. I don't really care for the chick that played Sandra Dee though.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva