Thread: Tony Lemans- Prince Protege

sly Guest

Tony Lemans- Prince Protege

Does anybody remember a one hit wonder by the name of Tony Lemans? He was an artist that was on Prince's Paisley Park Records..had a medium sized hit called "Forever More" from 1989...wrote a few songs for The Rolling Stones, Donny Osmond etc...he died in 1992 in a car crash in California...any photos exist or newspaper articles about his death? Very scarce and hard to find info on Tony's death outside of the usual search engine info.

cachluv Guest
    Just like Andre Cymone, although Andre Cymone isn't dead, he's just fallen off the planet.

Jazbabee Guest
    I vaguely recall that name.....will see if I can find anything

Jazbabee Guest
    Here's a little something ;

It's a travesty that most people have never heard of Tony LeMans. Tony was one of the first acts Prince signed to his Paisley Park label (after Sheila E. and Madhouse.) He was also the first act on the label that Prince had a "hands-off" approach with, specifically with regards to songwriting and production, the idea being that Tony would develop his own identity with the record buying public and not be dubbed a Prince clone. "Higher Than High" was the first single off his debut album, and ironically was the weakest song on the album (in my opinion)...and yet it still was a brilliant song, highlighting LeMans' unique voice (sounding like a hybrid of Terence Trent D'Arby, Lenny Kravitz and Prince's vocal ranges and styles) and amazing songwriting skills.

Tragically, Tony LeMans was killed in a motorcycle accident shortly after the album's release and although a second single (ironically entitled "Cookie Crumbles" --- the chorus being "that's the way the cookie crumbles, baby; that's the way the story goes...") was released, the album quietly dropped off the R and pop charts.

I remember that but I was never a big fan of his. I do ADORE Prince though. I'm sure you know that Boni Boyer, Prince's keyboardist from the "Lovesexy" days died of a brain tumour back in 97...didn't you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

sly Guest
    Bonnie Boyer was great! For me it's a toss up between Bonnie and Rosie Gaines....as far as Prince backup singers go...both very strong vocalists.