Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story

Deathgoddess Guest
    [QUOTE=TaupinJohn;1229097]
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

I read an article today written by some lady-nobody about "Actors who are stuck in bad shows" and she listed Connie Britton first thing. So I clicked on it and the first thing she said was, "I've never actually watched American Horror Story..." and I was wondering how the hell she'd know it was crap if she's never watched it...

Anyone else read that? I can probably find it if anyone's interested... I just don't think it's a bad show at all. It's kinda like watching a good horror movie, just in weekly segments. It's one of the few things I look forward to (and I know it got picked up for another season, so I can't be the only one)!
    I love this show, I didn't get to watch it last night because I was studying for my math test (I am a grown up BTW!) and I cannot wait to fire up my DVR tonight and see what happened.

I think that the lady who wrote about how terrible AHS is without watching it is just an example of our critical culture. I think everyone is so used to watching all of the talking heads on TV rant and rave about everything on earth, they suddenly feel like they should be able to do the same thing and they just start bashing stuff that they know nothing about.

Well, I torked that up, didn't I!!

So Tate is dead. Crap. I didn't want him to be. But he saved Violet, so I still love him. I loved the Addy part. I'm glad she's in a good place and won't come back to that house.

So, why does Con and the Craig's List Medium now think Violet is a Medium? Isn't everyone seeing the ghosts in that house?

Anybody see the weird Shrek-meets-The-Goonies thing chained to the attic wall in the previews for next week?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

[QUOTE=Deathgoddess;1229103]
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post

I love this show, I didn't get to watch it last night because I was studying for my math test (I am a grown up BTW!) and I cannot wait to fire up my DVR tonight and see what happened.

I think that the lady who wrote about how terrible AHS is without watching it is just an example of our critical culture. I think everyone is so used to watching all of the talking heads on TV rant and rave about everything on earth, they suddenly feel like they should be able to do the same thing and they just start bashing stuff that they know nothing about.
    The lady who was doing all the fancy commenting was Maureen Ryan. It's the first person she lists as being "a good actor stuck in a blah show" and seriously, her first words are, "I've never watched AHS..." Those comments made by Ton Ton at the bottom are mine... I've been over there complaining (as I do)!

Seriously, one guy's like, "She's only doing her job" and I'm going, "Her only *job* is to watch a show and comment on it, and she's never even watched it, so how's she going to say it's "blah"? How is that even fair?" ::sigh:: Ah well, you know what they saying about winning an argument Online (I won't say it here lest I offend anyone)! Don't know why I even try!

I also think you're 100% right about the reasons everyone thinks they're an expert anymore. It is SO much the culture right now, and somehow "being talented" isn't on the list of requirements for a critic. I would have thought "Actually watches the critiqued shows" was required, but apparently not.

Here's her (unfounded) opinion, anyway: http://www.aoltv.com/2011/11/08/acto...chael-emerson/

But I think you got that exactly right. Sad and true.

I SO miss having a DVR! I loved watching all the episodes ... when was it, Halloween? It was a Monday so I think so... I'd be watching it far too many times if I could! And I'm back in school and I'm definitely not a kid anymore... it's Algebra III and it's absolutely kicking my AHS loving arse... I remember absolutely nothing of high school Algebra, and I'm paying for it now. Glad I'm not the only one (I'm not suffering alone)! -t.j.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

RaRaRamona Guest
    aaah all the quotes are skivved up

babyblujems Guest
    Um to that woman who wrote that article; no depth to its characters really? Haven't we all been sitting here wondering why s/he said or did this? Haven't we all sat here debating on each and every characters background. I think there is plenty of depth to characters. And for someone to write that they don't even know what the show is just proves how little intelligence they really have. And I'm in school too! I graduate with my associates in criminal justice in December then will be going to a different school for my bachelors in psychology and then hopefully ending it all with my masters and doctorate in forensic psychology so trust me you guys aren't alone!

FooFoo Shnickens Guest
    Finally watched the most recent episode last night. The first couple of episodes, I did not like Tate at all. He made me uncomfortable, and I just thought Violet was "eh". Funny how the two teenagers seem to have a more mature relationship than all these crazy adults! Tate is just breaking my heart. I don't know what made him do what he did when he was alive, but he is the sweetest kid ever in the afterlife.

I think the maid was telling Viv that Ben would cheat again because for some reason they want to keep Ben out of that house. Something to do with the baby, I'm sure. But I feel there is a sub-plot in there somewhere about keeping Ben out. The eating of the organs and stuff was very much Rosemary's Baby-ish. So gross when she ate the brain. And she totally wants security dude. Does he work 24/7 or something? Sheesh.

I want Addie back.

I really think this show just keeps getting better and better. Less swearing and masturbating, too, thank God (I think it really took away from the show. I am not that much of a prude, I promise!). If my husband didn't like the show so much, I might have been done after the first episode, but I am so glad I stuck with it. Jessica Lange definitely gives award-worthy performances every week.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I'll be honest, I didn't think much of that little gal who plays Violet when the show first started. "Stereoypical angst-ridden teenager," is what I thought. But, geez, she has impressed the hell out of me! I think she may be the best actress on the show (with all due respect to Jessica Lange, who is wonderful in her role) and I will be really upset if she's ignored during awards season.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Taupin and Jems I think it is so cool you are both in school too! I am in my 3rd year, I am an English education major, hoping to teach high school! I got laid off from my job a few years back and decided to go back to school, I haven't regretted it one bit, best decision ever, well other than the math YUCK!

I finally watched this week's episode last night and I was once again struck by the artistic nature of the show. The first few minutes were heartwrenching to watch, I almost couldn't stand it. I was a senior in high school when the Columbine shooting happened and it has always stuck with me. I can't imagine the terror those kids must have felt in their last moments on earth. I hope none of the victims parents were watching AHS on Wednesday, that would have been brutal.

babyblujems Guest
    Deathgoddess - my boyfriend goes for engineering, talk about math ugh. Poor guy is in Calculus 4 I think, physics, probability and statistics for engineers and financial accounting this semester alone.
    As for the show I love it my boyfriend loves it I guess we're just complex people who like to watch complex shows lol.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblujems View Post
    Deathgoddess - my boyfriend goes for engineering, talk about math ugh. Poor guy is in Calculus 4 I think, physics, probability and statistics for engineers and financial accounting this semester alone.
    As for the show I love it my boyfriend loves it I guess we're just complex people who like to watch complex shows lol.
    I know this is off topic but I just had to chime in on the math conversation. I am so bad at math that I had to marry an engineer to assure that my children would have at least a fighting chance in the math ability department!

intothelight Guest
    ew Calc 4!! I have to take Trig I & Calc I still but thankfully I am a Pharmacy major so I have to take Chem I (which I'm in), Chem II, Organic Chem I, Organic Chem II and also Physics. I graduate after December with my Associates in Science.

Deathgoddess Guest
    That is so funny, my husband is a Science teacher, he teaches Physics, Biology, Chemistry and he LOVES Math! He just started teaching a pre-engineering class this semester and he told me the other day if he could go back to school he would go for engineering!

I, on the other hand, love English and History. I am with you Oogie Boogie, I pray when we have kids they get the best of both of us and are great at everything!

Jems- I think that is why me and my hubby love the show too, it is complex and we both enjoy it and actually end up taking away different things from it which is something we can talk about later. We feel the same way about the Walking Dead and the Good Wife, they all give us topics to think and talk about!

Deathgoddess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
    ew Calc 4!! I have to take Trig I & Calc I still but thankfully I am a Pharmacy major so I have to take Chem I (which I'm in), Chem II, Organic Chem I, Organic Chem II and also Physics. I graduate after December with my Associates in Science.
    That is great! I am so awed by people who have the minds to do that kind of stuff, my husband included.

aaah all the quotes are skivved up
    lol... I look like the ultimate multiple-personality dude, commenting on my comment. Nice to see I agree with me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OMG, I'm such an idiot at math! Right now I'm re-taking Basic Math and struggling. My big problem is math anxiety. The tutors are great, but I have such a horrible time taking the tests. In class, I can do the problems, no sweat. Put it on paper and my mind goes blank. So far I'm passing, but I'll be glad when this quarter is over.
    Back to the show. It does seem to be improving every week. The 'piggy' mask was very well done and seemed to be taken from a nightmare. ITA, Addie should return and I sincerely hope that Ben gets everything that's coming to him.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFoo Shnickens View Post

I think the maid was telling Viv that Ben would cheat again because for some reason they want to keep Ben out of that house. Something to do with the baby, I'm sure. But I feel there is a sub-plot in there somewhere about keeping Ben out.
    The maid either kept sleeping with that married dude or he kept attacking her, but either way I think she saw a lot of men cheat.

Sidebar: I totally loved the shoot em up revenge scene when Constance caught her man. ♥

So I think Moira is just bitter. Of course, Ben's obviously going to keep cheating, so she has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    I hope none of the victims parents were watching AHS on Wednesday, that would have been brutal.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Is anyone else enjoying the homages to scary movies? They are often obvious but fun.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    I am very disappointed. The most recent past episodes aren't on ON Demand yet. So I have yet to see the Halloween part 2 epi and the Piggy Piggy epi. Darnit!

intothelight Guest
    it sucked so much for Cam(that's what I know him as) and his urban legend phobia. Killed by a robber while saying piggy piggy.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
    it sucked so much for Cam(that's what I know him as) and his urban legend phobia. Killed by a robber while saying piggy piggy.
    I KNOW!! I did not see that coming though, big ups to them for keeping it fresh and unpredictable.

Cam also mentioned Candyman when he talked about urban legends. Does anyone else think that the Columbine style scene was too much or too soon to show on TV, although the actual event happened several years ago?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Cam also mentioned Candyman when he talked about urban legends. Does anyone else think that the Columbine style scene was too much or too soon to show on TV, although the actual event happened several years ago?

A little bit I did

1karenhb Guest
    Me too. It was pretty intense knowing they were all going to die and it seemed to go on forever.

KarmaKat Guest
    It has been mentioned here that Tate only appears in 7 episodes. Just wondering where that info came from?

discod Guest
    It was listed on IMDB when the info first came about...said 13 episodes for the whole show and he was in 7.May have changed though as IMDB is not always correct x

Hmmmm...I'm mixed on that. While I know it was brutal to watch, I wonder if some people needed to see it. I know that I can't really imagine what all happened unless I see it. I think something like that needs to stay fresh in all parents minds, so they can stay vigil. Am I making sense?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    It was listed on IMDB when the info first came about...said 13 episodes for the whole show and he was in 7.May have changed though as IMDB is not always correct x
    Cool. It still says that but also says that Addie is in 13 eps. Hopfully they wrong and we see lots more of Tate. He is fast becoming my favorite charater

doyleloyal Guest
    ok last week's ep really redeemed its self with me. It's getting better I just wish it went into the seperate stories alot easier, waaayyyyy too many unloose threads. I do love Tate tho, I just wonder what Violet is gonna do now since he's dead. I feel so bad for the both of them. I think something is up with that medium chick tho, i don't trust her.

intothelight Guest
    A little bit I did
    I agree it was a bit much

FooFoo Shnickens Guest
    Does anyone else think that the Columbine style scene was too much or too soon to show on TV, although the actual event happened several years ago?
    I thought it was done fairly well. We didn't see the actual shooting or the gore, from what I recall. I thought that was respectful, considering this show does not usually shy away from blood and guts.

^^ I agree FooFoo

I thought the medium might have BEEN Addie...just a thought.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I frequent the Television without Pity board for American Horror Story and someone posted this regarding the Elizabeth Short murder:
    The crime pics are bad. I mean really, horribly gruesome. [SERIOUSLY, don't look them up unless you are okay with images that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Yes, THAT bad.]
    It made me realize how different Death Hags are from, well, normal people!

Xtine Guest
    So, I haven't read the entire thread but I have a question.....
    Does anyone remember what Constance said about her children a few episodes ago? She was telling Vivian about all her children and she mentioned something.....I don't know why, but I feel this is important to the story.

buglover Guest
    Constance had mentioned that all but one of her children were born with issues. Her boy was perfect physically but strayed from something...... I can't remember what she said exactly but essentially she was alluding to the fact that Tate was her only perfect child.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtine View Post
    So, I haven't read the entire thread but I have a question.....
    Does anyone remember what Constance said about her children a few episodes ago? She was telling Vivian about all her children and she mentioned something.....I don't know why, but I feel this is important to the story.

That's so funny, I felt exactly the same way. That was when I realized Tate must be hers. It was something weird that clicked.

Constance said, in effect, all her children had Down's Syndrome except Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFoo Shnickens View Post
    I think the maid was telling Viv that Ben would cheat again because for some reason they want to keep Ben out of that house. Something to do with the baby, I'm sure. But I feel there is a sub-plot in there somewhere about keeping Ben out.
    On the 2nd/3rd? episode, wasn't Ben waking up in the middle of the night and turning the gas on in the kitchen? And on a later episode, he accused Moira of drugging him?

Just wondering if Moira wasn't doing that to protect the family i.e. the baby.

buglover Guest
    Every time Ben was drugged with the coffee, he ended up waking up outside near Moira's grave. I'm still not clear if his sleepwalking was because of being drugged or the spirit of the family that had been killed in the house fire. There are soooo many questions to be answered! Moira obviously wanted Ben to dig her up so she could finally be released from the house and be able to join her family in the after life.

Xtine Guest
    There ARE so many questions to be answered! And it seems like we get a glimpse of an answer to something but then you have more questions!!

buglover Guest
    They passed over the whole sleepwalking/fire thing so quickly, I wonder if they will ever explain it. This could be like Twin Peaks where nearly half the stuff is never really explained!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    They passed over the whole sleepwalking/fire thing so quickly, I wonder if they will ever explain it. This could be like Twin Peaks where nearly half the stuff is never really explained!!
    Or matters! I was shocked by how much stuff just simply did not mean a flippin think in TP. They were just off their rockers.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Every time Ben was drugged with the coffee, he ended up waking up outside near Moira's grave. I'm still not clear if his sleepwalking was because of being drugged or the spirit of the family that had been killed in the house fire. There are soooo many questions to be answered! Moira obviously wanted Ben to dig her up so she could finally be released from the house and be able to join her family in the after life.
    I never realized that! You are right. He was in the yard digging and thought that he had killed that woman. That makes sense.

I feel like the writers know what they are doing with this show, maybe I am naive and misguided, but I don't think we are in a "Lost" situation!!

BTW i love the lady that plays the Medium, she was Harriett on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (great show that was taken off the air too soon IMO). She is a great actress

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    I never realized that! You are right. He was in the yard digging and thought that he had killed that woman. That makes sense.

I feel like the writers know what they are doing with this show, maybe I am naive and misguided, but I don't think we are in a "Lost" situation!!

BTW i love the lady that plays the Medium, she was Harriett on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (great show that was taken off the air too soon IMO). She is a great actress
    I was trying to remember where else I've seen her

babyblujems Guest
    OOOO I can't wait for the new episode!

buglover Guest
    Or matters! I was shocked by how much stuff just simply did not mean a flippin think in TP. They were just off their rockers.
    I read somewhere that Lynch literally made up TP as he went along. American Horror Story doesn't quite have as much of a disconnected feeling as TP did thank goodness!

philbert_wormly Guest
    Theater geek trivia alert:

Sarah Paulson (psychic Billie Dean) played Laura Wingfield on Broadway alongside Jessica Lange's (Constance) Amanda Wingfield.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    I actually cried a little when Constance came into Addie's room with the wig to make her "pretty"...I was sad when she got killed. I hope so much they bring her back! She brought something cool to AHS

RaRaRamona Guest
    I read somewhere that Lynch literally made up TP as he went along. American Horror Story doesn't quite have as much of a disconnected feeling as TP did thank goodness!
    Not surprised. that show did teach me what a percolator is.

Not surprised. that show did teach me what a percolator is.
    Oh wow, I feel like a fossil now! My parents had a percolator when I was a pup...

Gotta bump this for those who might forget!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MinLynn Guest
    I STILL prefer a percolator! The coffee is better!

I'm just waiting for the youngest to fall asleep before I start watching. Got hooked on this show a couple weeks ago when there was nothing on and I started watching the eps on On Demand. Now I can't wait to see it every week.

Tate's anquish over Violet nearly dying last week nearly brought me to tears. And I felt so sad when Addie died as a pretty girl.