Thread: School Division Sued Over Reading Student's Texts

radiojane Guest

School Division Sued Over Reading Student's Texts

So this kid's phone rings in class. Teacher confiscates phone, and the vice principal calls the kid into his office, and reads the text on the phone. Happens to be about a stolen car. School calls the cops. Student is now suing because his rights were violated when the teacher read his text, and the claim the student's life is in danger because the other people involved in the car theft are seeking retaliation. (Prince Albert is not a nice place. It's home to a large number of aboriginal gangs, and houses the provinces largest prison).

Thoughts?

I think the little shit heels got what he deserved. If he was passing notes in class, they would have been read aloud. Don't want to get busted? How about you shut your damned phone off in class?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sch...422/story.html

I think they had no right to read his private text. I also believe that mobile phones should be banned from the classroom.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I think they had no right to read his private text. I also believe that mobile phones should be banned from the classroom.
    If he was an adult, maybe I would agree. But as far as Im concerned, minor children arent afforded the same right to privacy. Their parents are the charged with protecting them, and while in school, its the teachers job. If we allow children in school overly stringent privacy rights we will have weapons in school and more electronic bullying.

But youre right, the damned things shouldnt be allowed in schools.

If school policy was that phones aren't allowed or have to be on vibrate and/or no texting, too bad kid. Also, don't get involved with a stolen car or breaking the law and you won't have these types of problems.

radiojane Guest

Can you be sued for reporting criminal activity in Canada?
    Dont the parents and student have to sign some sort of form saying theyve read and understand the student policy handbook and agree to certain conditions? I think the parents are full of bullshit and should be more concerned about their sons activities rather than the schools. Fuck em and the moose they rode in on.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Can you be sued for reporting criminal activity in Canada?
    Dont the parents and student have to sign some sort of form saying theyve read and understand the student policy handbook and agree to certain conditions? I think the parents are full of bullshit and should be more concerned about their sons activities rather than the schools. Fuck em and the moose they rode in on.

Bahaha.

The gist of the suit isn't suing for reporting a criminal act, it's that the school invaded the poor sweet dear's right to privacy. Sadly, sounds like the family smells a payday.

Teenagers bring out the Nazi in me. I say check their phones daily and monitor the hell out of them. We had a 12 year old girl here commit suicide after a month of Facebook bullying, most of which apparently took place via blackberry during school hours. If someone was TEACHING their asses and monitoring or banning their phone use, maybe something could have been done sooner. I'll guarantee you though that the teacher was afraid of getting chewed on by a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Bahaha.

The gist of the suit isn't suing for reporting a criminal act, it's that the school invaded the poor sweet dear's right to privacy. Sadly, sounds like the family smells a payday.

Teenagers bring out the Nazi in me. I say check their phones daily and monitor the hell out of them. We had a 12 year old girl here commit suicide after a month of Facebook bullying, most of which apparently took place via blackberry during school hours. If someone was TEACHING their asses and monitoring or banning their phone use, maybe something could have been done sooner. I'll guarantee you though that the teacher was afraid of getting chewed on by a parent.
    The article said
    They are also suing the school division for the cost of driving their grandson out of the city every weekend before he moved away to live with other family members.
    How about they give the kid a bicycle and a paper route and the parents a large wooden paddle and a copy of Toughlove as a settlement.
    Forest, trees, and all that jazz.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

First of all minors have no rights and they especially have no rights while in school. The same reason why "freedom of speech" doesn't apply in schools. A note would have been read aloud in class and this is no different. Oh knows she might have saved the little bastard's life and his family is still going to complain? How about parenting your brat and not letting him bring a phone to school to begin with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    First of all minors have no rights and they especially have no rights while in school. The same reason why "freedom of speech" doesn't apply in schools. A note would have been read aloud in class and this is no different. Oh knows she might have saved the little bastard's life and his family is still going to complain? How about parenting your brat and not letting him bring a phone to school to begin with.

Boy howdy you and I are on the same page on this one!

Jacksmum Guest
    Participating, of any sort, in criminal activity is illegal, period. I'm sorry that he's up against gangs but if you partake, you get what's coming, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    ITA. They are banned in my area. My niece had her cell taken away by a teacher twice. Both times they called her mother who came down and retrieved it.

However, as some of you have said, he's a minor with no rights and he shouldn't have been involved with the stolen car.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-16-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Don't know how it works in Canada, but students in the U.S. pretty much check their rights at the schoolhouse door.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    Don't know how it works in Canada, but students in the U.S. pretty much check their rights at the schoolhouse door.
    That's supposed to be the way it works here too.