Thread: 2 Year old Florida Child Dies After Taking Mom's Medicine

CaliDeathHag Guest

2 Year old Florida Child Dies After Taking Mom's Medicine

OMG it is Caylee Anthony all over again. And you can bet Nancy Grace will be all over this one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oxycodone.html

[SIZE=2]While a mother took a shower in February, her unsupervised 2-year-old daughter ate her oxycodone pill, never waking up.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Tiffany Mitchell, 26 was charged with manslaughter yesterday after she had previously told Florida investigators March 10 that she had no idea how her toddler Kaylynn Mitchell may have acquired the painkiller.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The denial came in spite of a toxicology reporting finding the drug was in Kaylynn's system.[/SIZE]

Two-year-old Kaylynn Mitchell died after eating her mother's oxycodone pill while she was in the shower

[SIZE=2]The next day, March 11, Ms Mitchell went back to the Hernando Sheriff's Office and made a correction, telling officers she had an oxycodone pill in her purse when she had arrived at her Brooksville home earlier that evening, children-in-tow.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ms Mitchell, who has no prior arrests, told investigators she left the pill on her nightstand when she went to take a shower.[/SIZE]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1S0tEPlAG

Djen Guest
    Oh man, that's so sad! I hope it really was an accident, and not the mom drugging the child to get her to sleep or something. Not that the little girl would be any less dead, and it would still be a terrible story, but I want to think she's a good mom who made a mistake, and not an awful person. Does that make sense?

I think this really was an accident although I don't know much facts from it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

frogchoir Guest
    From the article (of course they wouldn't know police "details") it doesn't sound like another Anthony. This could happen to anyone...my 2 year old managed to open infant-tylenol I had in the diaper bag cause she was sick and drank some. Thank God most of it ended-up on her clothes and the floor and she only got a little sleepy but it terrifying for a while. She was "unsupervised" (I was doing dishes) for 5 MAAAAYBE 10 min and she opend a "child-proof" medicine bottle. This mom shouldn't have left it in her purse but really I don't think this should be a man-slaughter case like they are saying in the article, it sounds-so far- like a terrible accident. I know she told them 2 different things about where the pills were, but it's possible she was so flustered by just losing her daughter that she said one thing then realized they were somewhere else. To me it sounds like she is trying to be truthful and honest....maybe it's just wishful thinking but I'm praying it's not and she really is a good mother.

Poor little girl. That's so sad.

lvrgirl64 Guest
    That is so sad It sounds like an accident to me. Can the mother still be charged if it was truly an accident? I think kids have been rushed to E.R. before and had their stomachs pumped when they accidentally got into their parents medication. Or is it different because the baby actually died?

I don't know how much difference this will make but it sounded like it was a legally obtained pill rather than on that was prescribed to her. Either way, stupid mistake. When I have pills I have to take after the shower or before a meal or whatever I leave them in their pill case just so my cat don't get them, let alone a kid.

That poor baby, Mom should have put the pill up higher where the baby couldn't reach it.

rjbrasher Guest
    that shit is bitter too, i'm suprised she swallowed it. my kids will spit anything out thats bitter. I hope this is an accident, i rather to hear her alive then dead. But if i find out its another bitch killing her kid to make it look like an accident im going to snap

child neglect

Quote Originally Posted by lvrgirl64 View Post
    That is so sad It sounds like an accident to me. Can the mother still be charged if it was truly an accident? I think kids have been rushed to E.R. before and had their stomachs pumped when they accidentally got into their parents medication. Or is it different because the baby actually died?
    maybe child neglect....[???]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oxy: Not Quite Lucky Charms

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    that shit is bitter too, i'm suprised she swallowed it. my kids will spit anything out thats bitter. I hope this is an accident, i rather to hear her alive then dead. But if i find out its another bitch killing her kid to make it look like an accident im going to snap
    Exactly. Now, if the pill tasted *yummy*...
    When I was about 3, I ate a whole bottle of orange candy (baby aspirin). My mom got me to the ER on time. Good thing I didn't snack on an Oxy. But like you said RJ...it's bitter, wouldn't a kid spit it out?!
    And yes, hasn't a child-fatality "accident" quota for the year been reached yet?
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Question

But like you said RJ...it's bitter, wouldn't a kid spit it out?!
    Not necessarily. Babies put lots of stuff in their mouths & can easily be swallowed. The pills are small pills anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    She was so cute. I know little children can get into things fast if they have a chance, but I don't understand why the mom had the pill where the little girl could get to it. I can't imagine leaving a child that age unattended while I was in the shower. She is being charged with manslaughter by culpable negligence. I have thought this scenario is what happened to Haleigh Cummings.

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    Not necessarily. Babies put lots of stuff in their mouths & can easily be swallowed. The pills are small pills anyway
    shit none of my oxy is small, they are giant horse pills

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    shit none of my oxy is small, they are giant horse pills

My mom recently had knee replacement surgery and takes oxy/tylenol tablets which are medium size- these could not be easily swallowed without a glass of water or other fluid. The pure oxycodone or oxycontin pills are quite small and could easily be swallowed without fluid, especially the oxycontin, as they are coated to give them their time release properties.

jaylene Guest
    Poor baby. How awful.

trishsixxm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    When I was about 3, I ate a whole bottle of orange candy (baby aspirin). My mom got me to the ER on time. Good thing I didn't snack on an Oxy. But like you said RJ...it's bitter, wouldn't a kid spit it out?!
    And yes, hasn't a child-fatality "accident" quota for the year been reached yet?
    I loved taking those baby aspirin when I was little it was like taking a sugar pill. But poor baby I to think it was an accident.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Kids will drink bleach and paint thinner, they will swallow coins and just about anything they can get in their mouth... Including poo.

james1977 Guest

Accidents Are Not A Crime

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I don't know how much difference this will make but it sounded like it was a legally obtained pill rather than on that was prescribed to her. Either way, stupid mistake. When I have pills I have to take after the shower or before a meal or whatever I leave them in their pill case just so my cat don't get them, let alone a kid.
    So many god damn stupid ass drivers have killed thousands and got away with it. Because the sun got in their eye, they didn't see the motorcyclist making the left turn, or they didn't see the car turning into their right a - way. Some bastard killed 2 teenage girls in a crosswalk and got away with it, he said he didn't see them. These bastards all should have been charged with man- slaughter but they weren't and they want to bust the poor mother.? She has suffered enough.

The mom is still responsible for the child's death. Grownups are supposed to use age and experience to protect their offspring. You put child locks in the kitchen so they don't pull steak knives out of drawers or get in the pantry and swallow a bottle of Drano. You reverse the handle on the saucepan so your toddler doesn't pull a vat of boiling water off the stove. All the "child-proof" caps in the world won't help if the grownups are OTL.

But my guess is in our "no-fault" society she will probably never do an hour's worth of community service over this. And that sociopathic stare in the mugshot speaks volumes.

If that was not a legal, prescribed pill, then I believe she was a poor parent, and should be charged to the highest; at the very least, she was planning to get high while she had small children around. Even if she was waiting until they were asleep, it shows poor parenting and neglect.

If it was legally obtained, then she needs many parenting classes, since she obviously doesn't understand the basics about never leaving a two year old alone, and keeping dangerous substances secure.

Florida mother, 29, faces 13 years in prison for the death of her two-year-old daughter who overdosed after 'accidentally' swallowing an oxycodone pill. [SIZE=5]A Florida mother will find out today if she will go to jail over the tragic death or her two-year-old daughter who was found dead in her bed after swallowing an oxycodone pill.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Tiffany Mitchell, 29, of Spring Hill, could face as many as 13 years in prison for the death of Kaylynn two years ago.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Prosecutors say Mitchell left an oxycodone pill on her nightstand and that the brown-haired, blue-eyed girl found and swallowed it while Mitchell was taking a shower.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Kaylynn was found dead in her bed on January 31, 2011.[/SIZE]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2l37ARPcw
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    Florida mother, 29, faces 13 years in prison for the death of her two-year-old daughter who overdosed after 'accidentally' swallowing an oxycodone pill. [SIZE=5]A Florida mother will find out today if she will go to jail over the tragic death or her two-year-old daughter who was found dead in her bed after swallowing an oxycodone pill.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Tiffany Mitchell, 29, of Spring Hill, could face as many as 13 years in prison for the death of Kaylynn two years ago.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Prosecutors say Mitchell left an oxycodone pill on her nightstand and that the brown-haired, blue-eyed girl found and swallowed it while Mitchell was taking a shower.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Kaylynn was found dead in her bed on January 31, 2011.[/SIZE]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2l37ARPcw
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Poor little baby girl, that's so awful. This type of scenario is what I suspect happened to Haleigh Cummings, except I think it was given to her intentionally to make her sleep and she overdosed and died.

Parents that care don't leave pills, guns or knives where little ones can get their hands on them. You got to stay aware at all times. Wee ones are so curious and innocent.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Parents that care don't leave pills, guns or knives where little ones can get their hands on them. You got to stay aware at all times. Wee ones are so curious and innocent.
    Absolutely agree! And with prescription medications, its not just little ones. Most teens are getting their drugs directly out of the cabinets of their parents and grandparents. Any controlled substances need to be under lock and key.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    Absolutely agree! And with prescription medications, its not just little ones. Most teens are getting their drugs directly out of the cabinets of their parents and grandparents. Any controlled substances need to be under lock and key.
    Yep. That's what is nice about those little home safes.

RIP, little girl. Such a shame.

I'm a little surprised, though not completely, that just one oxy can kill a small child. I just got prescribed some for a medical issue, and yep, one made me pretty loopy. Apparently, at the height of Rush Limbaugh's oxy addiction, he was taking something like 47 of them per day.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

She got 30 months.

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    She got 30 months.
    That sucks.

Mammy Guest
    RIP, little girl. Such a shame.

I'm a little surprised, though not completely, that just one oxy can kill a small child. I just got prescribed some for a medical issue, and yep, one made me pretty loopy. Apparently, at the height of Rush Limbaugh's oxy addiction, he was taking something like 47 of them per day.
    47 per day?! I know he's a big dude, but damn! How did that not kill him? Just one of them makes me violently ill. I hate them.

It's sad that the Mom only got 30 months. That's an awful insult to that innocent, precious baby. It's terrible how cheap the "justice" system rates children's lives, but children can't vote or pay taxes, so I guess they don't count as much in the eyes of the law. I hope that baby girl just went to sleep and didn't suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Heck, I was careful about my pills around Harry. If I dropped one I was down on all four until I found it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MinLynn Guest
    This still sounds suspicious to me. Oxycodone (Vicodin) come in HUGE ass pills! And they're really hard to break up because of the waxy-like coating they put on them to make it more difficult for drug addicts to crush them and melt them down (Thank you for the info Heroine Junkie SIL!). You might be able to break it in half but even then I would think the bitter taste and size alone would deter a 2 year old from actually swallowing the pill. Also, how long was she in the shower? I know that one pill could've killed the little girl especially if it was a 750mg. But would it have been a very quick death or would have been a gradual death that the mother should have noticed something was wrong?

My husband is permanently disabled due to a very painful nerve disease called RSD (http://www.rsdawareness.com/whatisrsd.htm). It wasn't caught early enough and the disease has taken over his whole lower body and is now spreading to his upper body. He has to take Morphine pills daily and that's even after having an electric stimulator implanted into his spine (he has a neat little generator in his non-existent butt-cheek that you can clearly see through his skin! HeeHee! and he has to charge his butt cheek about every 2 weeks!). Our kids are not toddlers at all and are actually teenagers and pre-teens but his shit is kept stored the hell up! With the kids being older, one pill wouldn't kill them at all but we'd sure the hell know they took one! In fact, when Junkie SIL stole over 30 of his pills the last night she was allowed to stay here, her first instinct was to blame our kids! I laughed so fucking hard because I knew I'd know if one of my kids had popped a damn morphine pill just by their behavior alone.

So, I guess I'm just wondering, how was that baby able to chomp through a horse pill, get past the bitter taste, swallow it and then die all in the span of time that the mother was just taking a shower? That had to be one long-ass shower!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    I take a shit load of meds. Everything I have is put up high enough that I have trouble getting it down, even tylenol. Hell, he couldn't reach anything HE takes. I've never let Mr. Toddler (formerly Mr. Baby, previously Mr. Preemie) play with medicine bottles. Why on God's green earth did this hussy think, "hmm... leaving child unattended, let me just pop my dope on the table. Yep good idea, yay me" ? Jail time- yes. Allowing me to slap the cold dog shit outta her without repercussion-please

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    This still sounds suspicious to me. Oxycodone (Vicodin) come in HUGE ass pills! And they're really hard to break up because of the waxy-like coating they put on them to make it more difficult for drug addicts to crush them and melt them down (Thank you for the info Heroine Junkie SIL!). You might be able to break it in half but even then I would think the bitter taste and size alone would deter a 2 year old from actually swallowing the pill. Also, how long was she in the shower? I know that one pill could've killed the little girl especially if it was a 750mg. But would it have been a very quick death or would have been a gradual death that the mother should have noticed something was wrong?

My husband is permanently disabled due to a very painful nerve disease called RSD (http://www.rsdawareness.com/whatisrsd.htm). It wasn't caught early enough and the disease has taken over his whole lower body and is now spreading to his upper body. He has to take Morphine pills daily and that's even after having an electric stimulator implanted into his spine (he has a neat little generator in his non-existent butt-cheek that you can clearly see through his skin! HeeHee! and he has to charge his butt cheek about every 2 weeks!). Our kids are not toddlers at all and are actually teenagers and pre-teens but his shit is kept stored the hell up! With the kids being older, one pill wouldn't kill them at all but we'd sure the hell know they took one! In fact, when Junkie SIL stole over 30 of his pills the last night she was allowed to stay here, her first instinct was to blame our kids! I laughed so fucking hard because I knew I'd know if one of my kids had popped a damn morphine pill just by their behavior alone.

So, I guess I'm just wondering, how was that baby able to chomp through a horse pill, get past the bitter taste, swallow it and then die all in the span of time that the mother was just taking a shower? That had to be one long-ass shower!
    She probably gave the little girl a pill so she would go to sleep and when she found her daughter dead concocted the story about being in the shower and the little girl taking the pill then.

MinLynn Guest
    That's what I'm thinking and I can't imagine that the police didn't think the same damn thing! Hell, I think my kids were at least 4 before I even dreamed of getting in the shower before they were so asleep that I knew I could jump in for MAYBE 10 minutes and that was a luxury! At 2? Let me tell you I learned really quick how to shower in less than 5 minutes and I walked around with some pretty hairy legs just because I couldn't leave them long enough to even attempt to shave my legs! Any mother could have easily told the police this mother drugged that kid.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    That's what I'm thinking and I can't imagine that the police didn't think the same damn thing! Hell, I think my kids were at least 4 before I even dreamed of getting in the shower before they were so asleep that I knew I could jump in for MAYBE 10 minutes and that was a luxury! At 2? Let me tell you I learned really quick how to shower in less than 5 minutes and I walked around with some pretty hairy legs just because I couldn't leave them long enough to even attempt to shave my legs! Any mother could have easily told the police this mother drugged that kid.
    It does seem more obvious after your last post. A two year old is going to spit out a bitter tasting horse pill. I guess maybe intent couldn't be proven? Maybe the Mom intended for the little girl to take a nap after giving her the dose, but didn't intend or expect her to die. I doesn't excuse her actions no matter what the case may be, but I guess it would be more of an involuntary manslaughter/neglect situation than an intentional murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    She probably gave the little girl a pill so she would go to sleep and when she found her daughter dead concocted the story about being in the shower and the little girl taking the pill then.
    I tend to agree, Mammy. Whatever happened to the good ol' days of knocking kids out with Benadryl? (KIDDING) My relatives have used whiskey for generations...oh well...Maybe that's one reason why I might *not* think the mom was just trying to get the kid to sleep...there are "easier" drugs (though that shit shouldn't be happening anyway).

Sentenced to 30 months...maybe out in 15?

Mammy Guest
    I tend to agree, Mammy. Whatever happened to the good ol' days of knocking kids out with Benadryl? (KIDDING) My relatives have used whiskey for generations...oh well...Maybe that's one reason why I might *not* think the mom was just trying to get the kid to sleep...there are "easier" drugs (though that shit shouldn't be happening anyway).

Sentenced to 30 months...maybe out in 15?
    All of the good shit people used to knock their kids out with (Benadryl, Dramamine, the brown Vick's Formula 44 D, and Nyquil) has been reformulated to the point of near uselessness. My parents never used that stuff on us, even though I'm sure they were tempted, but I do remember knowing parents back when I was a kid who gave that stuff to their kids to make them sleep. Nobody then ever thought much about it. Maybe this woman was tired of being tied down with a kid and decided to kill her and make it look like an accident. If so, she's pretty much succeeded since she only got 30 months out of it. She's probably already served quite a bit of that time, so I'm guessing that will make the sentence even less.

I don't know much about oxycontin (if that is the drug in question) as it resulted in "brain chemical warfare" when my doctor prescribed it for me. However, I do know that it's designed for long term release. It has a coating on the outside that gradually dissolves in your stomach for relief over time. If that baby found it and swallowed it whole, she wouldn't have noticed the taste. Some of those tablets can be quite small so it would be easy for her to swallow (ie: not horse pills).

It's a tragedy all around but the mom should be charged with negligence (manslaughter?) for carelessly letting pills get away. Poor baby. She probably died of respiratory depression if she wasn't unconscious. She'd be starved for air if she was awake. Horrible way to die.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.