Thread: What is the World's Best Pizza?

Oogie Boogie Guest

What is the World's Best Pizza?

Okay, maybe I haven't tried all of the pizza available in the world (not that I wouldn't like to!), but in my opinion there is one pizza that stands above all of the other ones I've eaten.

Amato's Pizza in Etna, Pennsylvania (just slightly north of Pittsburgh) is my favorite and what I would demand for my last meal if I were on death row. Yes, I love it that much.

Each piece is about 4 inches square with light, flaky crust and little cloudlike puffs of cheese. I can devour many, many pieces in one sitting and it makes a delicious breakfast as well. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it and getting a pie is definitely on my agenda next time I'm home in Pittsburgh.

What do YOU think is the world's best pizza?

gemini33 Guest
    I used to think Goodfellas in Athens, Ohio had the best pizza in the world, then I ate it while I was sober... yeah, not so much.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    I used to think Goodfellas in Athens, Ohio had the best pizza in the world, then I ate it while I was sober... yeah, not so much.
    Someone needs to start a "Best Drunk Food" thread! I'd do it, but I don't want to get a reputation as a food-obsessed Death Hag! lol

luvmypeanut Guest
    San Frantello's in Chicago is one of my favs!

Forever-27 Guest
    If I buy frozen its totinos

If its a restruant its got to be Ricos here in town. The large pizza they make is about the size of a 4-wheel drive truck tire. They still have video games too. Getting harder to find a pizza place that's got video games anymore. When I go for pizza there I still dump lots of quarters into Ms Pac-Man and Frogger

There is a hole in the wall here in Baltimore that makes some pretty amazing pies .. they are not traditional flat pizzas but true northern Italian piazzia bread pies ..supposedly what american pizza originated from .. its called Matthew's Pizza www.matthewspizza.com.
    thick fresh dough , five cheese , hand crushed tomato sauce .. the line is always out the door and if you call in a carry out order you have to call ahead like 2 hrs cause they are so busy .. but sooo worth it .

Old Chicago in Petaluma

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    Okay, maybe I haven't tried all of the pizza available in the world (not that I wouldn't like to!), but in my opinion there is one pizza that stands above all of the other ones I've eaten.

Amato's Pizza in Etna, Pennsylvania (just slightly north of Pittsburgh) is my favorite and what I would demand for my last meal if I were on death row. Yes, I love it that much.

Each piece is about 4 inches square with light, flaky crust and little cloudlike puffs of cheese. I can devour many, many pieces in one sitting and it makes a delicious breakfast as well. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it and getting a pie is definitely on my agenda next time I'm home in Pittsburgh.

What do YOU think is the world's best pizza?
    You do know I'm going to have to take a trip down there now, right?

Does Domino's count as real Pizza?
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Napoli's Pizza in Wallingford, Connecticut. It's the pizza I grew up on. Now that I live in Colorado, i'm jonesing for their pizza all the time. They don't make good pizza in Colorado, like they do in the North.
    The way I judge a best pizza is if it tastes fabulous with absolutely no toppings on it. Just tomato sauce and cheese. After all, that is the base of a pizza. If you put toppings on, it might hide the fact that the sauce and cheese might not be the best quality. If you know that they are good quality, then toppings can be like sprinkles on ice cream. They add to something that is already good.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Demondahlia View Post
    There is a hole in the wall here in Baltimore that makes some pretty amazing pies .. they are not traditional flat pizzas but true northern Italian piazzia bread pies ..supposedly what american pizza originated from .. its called Matthew's Pizza www.matthewspizza.com.
    thick fresh dough , five cheese , hand crushed tomato sauce .. the line is always out the door and if you call in a carry out order you have to call ahead like 2 hrs cause they are so busy .. but sooo worth it .

I have been meaning to try Matthew's for as long as I've lived down here! Any particular toppings you recommend?

I had some New York pizza made in Atlanta that was pretty dang good, but I would have to say my homemade pizza. And when I say homemade that means the crust, too.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

San Diego isn't famous for great pizza. For chains, I love Round Table but it's way too expensive. I have to admit that I usually go to Costco when I'm in the mood for take-out pizza. A huge pie that tastes pretty good for 10 bucks.

There is a place in La Mesa, CA named Rosarios that had a "Supreme Veggie Pizza" that was heaven. I'm no veggitarian but this thing was awesome. I haven't been there in years because of convenience but maybe I will track them down.

World's best pizza? That's a pretty tall order!

As for local, I'll have to say it's New York Pizza. One of the few places where I can still get anchovies on my half easily (my husband likes his half Hawaiian), and the food is consistently good, arrives hot and on-time.

I attended collage in Chattanooga and there was a Roman's Road pizza place that was out of the world. Huge pie with everything on it for like $5 and they delivered. Of course that was 1975 prices. Lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Theer are lots of gourmet/designer pizza places now that people seem to like, but I stick with Pizza Pizza.
    Number's easy to remember, they guarantee delivery in 40 minutes and after all, pizza is pretty much pizza after all eh?

jeca Guest
    Of the places I've lived, and eaten pizza, Leonardo's, in Franklin, Pa is my all time favorite. It's followed closely by Mineo's in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Their white pizza is to die for!

I think I'm getting a pizza tonight.

Nelliebean Guest
    My own!

Thin crust ( tortilla thin) with no sauce and veggies,cheese and pesto.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    It's followed closely by Mineo's in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Their white pizza is to die for!
    I know Mineo's! I went to the University of Pittsburgh and Mineo's was just a short bus ride away (that and Bagel Land!). See? Pizza is the common thread that brings the world together! lol

Pvezz: Seriously, you want to check out Amatos! It's on Butler Street; just about the only storefront that isn't boarded up or vacant.

jeca Guest
    I know Mineo's! I went to the University of Pittsburgh and Mineo's was just a short bus ride away (that and Bagel Land!). See? Pizza is the common thread that brings the world together! lol

Pvezz: Seriously, you want to check out Amatos! It's on Butler Street; just about the only storefront that isn't boarded up or vacant.
    I went to Carlow.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I had some New York pizza made in Atlanta that was pretty dang good, but I would have to say my homemade pizza. And when I say homemade that means the crust, too.
    Back in 1987-89 when I was in grad school in Atlanta, my wife and I used to go to Athens Pizza House on Clairmont Road. I'd never had Greek Pizza before and that was really a revelation. :-) The very last meal I ever ate in Atlanta was there.

Mammy Guest
    I have never ate a pizza from any place other than national chains and store bought. It sounds like I have missed out because pizza is one of my favorite foods. I like Domino's the best from the places I have tried.

deanfan Guest
    Greg's Pizza in Johnson City, Tn.

My own!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I have been meaning to try Matthew's for as long as I've lived down here! Any particular toppings you recommend?
    The POPULAR ( five cheese ) with sweet Roma Italian Sausage and Mushroom is my personal fave .. and The Crab Pie is THE BOMB! The Crab Pie with a few cold brews .. OMG heaven. My old man prefers them with Natty Bohs' .. Im more of a Sam Adams girl .. but whatEVAH! Good Stuff!

That's it. I'm moving to Pennsylvania!

Crab pie? Ew. We have a thread about how Mayor Lindsey cave Florence Henderson the crabs. I know it's not the same kind, but barf anyway. Ew.

Seriously, I like crab fingers and deviled crab, but not a crab pie. Non.

I have a friend who hates cheese. So she wanted a pizza and ordered it without cheese. Yes. It was not good, she said.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Hates cheese? How can anyone hate cheese? I would probably eat a turd if it was wrapped in cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Crab pie? Ew. We have a thread about how Mayor Lindsey cave Florence Henderson the crabs. I know it's not the same kind, but barf anyway. Ew.

Seriously, I like crab fingers and deviled crab, but not a crab pie. Non.

I have a friend who hates cheese. So she wanted a pizza and ordered it without cheese. Yes. It was not good, she said.
    Maybe its a Maryland thing but we can do some amazing things with the good ol blue crab in this neck of the woods.. plus we have this magic seasoning called old bay .. that makes crab on pizza perfect ! But to each his own !

Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    I have never ate a pizza from any place other than national chains and store bought. It sounds like I have missed out because pizza is one of my favorite foods. I like Domino's the best from the places I have tried.

Mammy,

I remember you mentioning that you and your husband enjoy going out to dinner on your date nights...maybe there are some good pizza places in your area to try? Once you find a really good one, it will be difficult to eat pizza from a national chain! Sometimes they are not bad, however after eating at Fuzzy's, our local pizza cafe, it seems like every ingredient on a chain pizza tastes exactly the same...Fuzzy's has spoiled us with their homemade crust, imported cheese and extra fresh meat and veggies! Good luck...let us know what you find!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    San Diego isn't famous for great pizza. For chains, I love Round Table but it's way too expensive. I have to admit that I usually go to Costco when I'm in the mood for take-out pizza. A huge pie that tastes pretty good for 10 bucks.
    Oh yea! i used to love going to Costco when i lived out there,they had that walk up window outside and you could get a big greasy slice on a paper plate...YUM!

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JudyAnn Guest
    The best pizza is found on the boardwalk in Wildwood, New Jersey. Really, as I recall, all the pizza places there made a thin crust pizza with a tangy sauce. I haven't found pizza elsewhere in my travels that can beat or even replicate boardwalk pizza that I so loved back in the day.

Friday night is pizza night at my house

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oogie.. my Hubs reminded me of another fab pizza place in Baltimore if you are down this way .. more in the traditional vein but great all the same BOP - BRICK OVEN PIZZA in Fells Point www.boppizza.com its on S. Broadway right down by the water in the Pub District .. great pies there!

Any one that has good old greasy hot pizza.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

doyleloyal Guest
    Funhouse, TK'S in Waynesville, MO, and Me-n-Ed's in Sanger, CA

good NOM NOMS....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQPH...eature=related

Spectre Guest
    The worlds best, for me, was the Shakey's Pizza Parlor back in 1972, Houston. My BF's sister worked there and we got free pizza.

Morto Guest
    Well I am Italian and have been in the pizza biz for a number of years.Born and raised in the East so thin crust Neapolitan pie is what I was taught to make basically called NY style as well.It takes a brick oven at 500 degrees to make a great pizza so doing it at home is tough to get those results.But some great pizza in the Sacramento area are Roma's,Napoli and for Chicago style I would say Zelda's and Linda's.I am definately a pizza fanatic but I dont like Yuppie pizza

Pryncis Guest
    My personal favorite is the pizza from the Mad Italian in Petersburg VA. The place has been there since the 70s I think. The owners are friends of the family. Their youngest son is best friends with my brother. (My bro just named one of his twin boys after him) Their pizza crust is perfect, not too thick, not too thin. The sauce is fresh, as are the veggies and meats they use. If you live in the area and you don't know who they are, you've been living under a rock! They also have other really great dishes too, all presonal recipes the family brought over from Greece and Italy. I don't want to sound biased because my family is close to their family, but their food seriosuly ROCKS! (It's also nice to know WHO is cooking your food and to know they actually care about what you eat!)

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    Well I am Italian and have been in the pizza biz for a number of years.Born and raised in the East so thin crust Neapolitan pie is what I was taught to make basically called NY style as well.It takes a brick oven at 500 degrees to make a great pizza so doing it at home is tough to get those results.But some great pizza in the Sacramento area are Roma's,Napoli and for Chicago style I would say Zelda's and Linda's.I am definately a pizza fanatic but I dont like Yuppie pizza
    Designer pizza is an abomination before the Lord - white pizza doubly so.
    But I do like a nice a nice tarte flambée. :-)

Here in Germany, nearly every pizza parlor has a pizza with pasta as a topping. That's just wrong.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Right on! No designer pizza! No pineapples, no tofu, no duck, no goat cheese, etc. You will never see me at a Wolfgang Puck's eating frufru pizza! Tomato sauce and Mozzarella Cheese, that's all you need. Maybe a little sausage or pepperoni sometimes for a little variety. And definitely no forks and knives! You need to fold it! Just remember, 2nd degree burns on the roof of your mouth and tounge is the price of admission and a badge of honor!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

havoc Guest
    The short answer?

The one if front of me......

woohoogirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfan View Post
    Greg's Pizza in Johnson City, Tn.
    Their pizza is better than sex!!!!! Been known to sit on the curb out front and eat it!!!!

Famiglia Pizza, Times Square.

brikdon1956 Guest
    While I Love the pizza on the Boardwalk, THE Best in Wildwood is A&LP on the corner of 15th and New Jersey in North Wildwood. NEVER had better and I try Pizza everywhere I go.

Fujicakes Guest
    Masa in Echo Park, CA, and Zachary's in Berkeley,CA - both their Chicago style is absolutely divine.

Sparkles Guest
    Tonelli's in Horsham, PA (just outside of Philly) is sooooo good! They have the best pizza I have ever tasted. I, unfortunately am just out of their delivery radius, but it is definitely worth the drive to go get it. I love their stromboli, too... yum!

Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    Hates cheese? How can anyone hate cheese? I would probably eat a turd if it was wrapped in cheese!
    Omg LMAO!!! ^^ This totally cracked me up. I don't know how anyone could hate cheese either... it's the best! But, to each their own.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brikdon1956 View Post
    While I Love the pizza on the Boardwalk, THE Best in Wildwood is A&LP on the corner of 15th and New Jersey in North Wildwood. NEVER had better and I try Pizza everywhere I go.
    I lived in Wildwood one summer in the early nineties and always devoured Romeo's Pizza after leaving the clubs wasted. I tried it once sober and was like, "Bleech!"