Thread: Maria Ridulph

Spectre Guest

Maria Ridulph

On December 3, 1957, Maria Ridulph had been playing outdoors with a playmate when a man walked up and introduced himself. After chatting her up about her "dollies" and putting her at ease he then offered her a piggy-back ride. She was never seen alive again. Her decomposed body was found April 26, 1958.

Jack Daniel McCullough, 71, of Seattle, had been a suspect from the beginning. He was 18-years-old at the time and lived a block away from the little girl, however the case went cold after he presented a bogus alibi to police and joined the army. He also changed his name from John Tessler to Jack McCullough.

Read more.... here and here

Mulvaness Guest

lvrgirl64 Guest
    Wow! That is great! I love to see when cold cases get solved. Finally justice for that little girl!

PurrPurr Guest
    Holy hell...to think this guy killed a little girl, then served in the military, became a cop, and then ended up in a retirement village?

Mammy Guest
    I am glad this case was finally solved. It gives hope to other people who have waited years for justice for their loved ones. You know he thought he had got away with it after not being caught for so long. That poor little girl would be the same age as my Mom is now. It also goes to show that you never really know who is living next door to you which is quite scary!

I'm glad they solved it, but it's sad he got away with it for over 50 years and lived a full life. She never got that chance.

That is the kind of thing I enjoy reading, that even after more than half a century, justice is served. She looked like a lovely child. I turned four that December.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9760380-large.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	31022  

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Holy hell...to think this guy killed a little girl, then served in the military, became a cop, and then ended up in a retirement village?

Exactly what I was thinking!

7 year old Maria Ridulph - unsolved 1957 murder...

...now has an arrested suspect.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...ng-1450177.php

I'd like to give a HUGE plug to Larry Harnisch, who runs the LA Daily Mirror blog. Those blasted heathens at the LA Times cancelled his blog on their site, but he's risen like phoenix. I read about this case on his blog, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Former Daily Mirrror site (through June 16th, 2011)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/

Current site:

http://ladailymirror.com/

VCNJ~

Please merge this with the other thread on the subject - I did a search but the little girl's last name didn't come up.

My apologies.

VCNJ~

This can't be the only child he ever harmed, and maybe not the only one he ever killed? And he was a cop, and that's the worst thing that can happen, since they could easily gain access and have authority over people. particularly back in those days.

Makes you wonder how he behaved around his children and grandchildren. Total compartmentalization, I suppose.
    Last edited by Linnie; 07-03-2011 at 12:02 AM.

PurrPurr Guest

Found a pic of Maria's headstone.

Mulvaness Guest

Severely Snapped Guest
    I find this case fascinating and perplexing. Dying to know what else the authorities have on this guy, not to mention when they had it. Will the exhumation turn up anything new? Why the $3,000,000 bond? And didn't they bother to check his alibi when he was first a suspect, back in 1957? Lots of questions.

Seagorath Guest
    You'll probably find, based on historical facts, that many cops and military types are capable of such actions as this...especially murder.

Just because a person carries a gun, wears a badge and fights for our country doesn't mean they aren't scumfucks on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post

Just saw a special on this last night, sad sad stuff. That guy is a total psychopath, no remorse for what he did and is in total denial. Sad most of her family probably wasn't around to see him brought to justice.

Some psychopaths join the military, and become police officers, and pedophiles hide in the priesthood. They enjoy the power and respect it gets them. Also, they can hide in plain sight. Hopefully, they get weeded out but not always. If you are being pulled over and it doesn't seem right to you, put on your blinker but keep driving to a safer place. Don't worry about getting in trouble. There are a few instances of men posing as cops pulling women over on dark highways for devious reasons. Always be more worried about your own safety than what someone may think of you later.

I'm so glad they caught this slimebag, but it really pisses me off that he missed out on decades of being sodomized in prison! And, like the rest of you, I'm sure this couldn't have been his only victim. I hope we are finally able to learn about others he has victimized, but I won't hold my breath for this lowest form of human life. I guess late justice is better than none at all.

This story reminds me of how they caught the killer of the 2 El Segundo policemen back from 57', he had been living all these years without committing any other crimes until they caught him back in 2009. I wonder how many scumbags that have gotten away with their crimes for so long are now very worried by the advancements of forensics?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Hidium, that's good advice. Most times a legitimate cop will call in backup. It's usually safe once two or more cars are on the scene. This advice was actually given by our local police chief when the guy in north Mississippi was killing people on the highway by posing as a cop. Apparently people use this method in Jackson Mississippi to rob tourists as well. BTW you should drive at a slightly reduced speed to give the police an idea of what you're doing. If you drive crazy they will pit maneuver you and make you crash. In fact it wouldn't hurt to phone the station if you are able.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Just a heads-up this case is going to be on 48 Hours tonight

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...e-fog-of-time/

I'm setting myself a reminder to watch it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CNN.com interactive on the case. An incredible read - I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/...ase/index.html

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    CNN.com interactive on the case. An incredible read - I can't recommend it enough.

VCNJ~
    Thanks. You just gave me some reading material!! I'm sick of studying venous drainage. Ugh.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post

VCNJ~

Wow, great read! Thanks so much for sharing

Review of the TV movie on the case:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/ar...-55-years.html
    VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Sorry to bump this after so long, but there's been an update since the last post here. This article is from 2017

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/us/ri...ocence-ruling/

Jack McCullough is innocent of the 1957 kidnapping and murder of a little girl and never should have been convicted, a judge ruled Wednesday.By granting the 77-year-old military veteran a certificate of innocence, Judge William Brady cleared McCullough’s name for good. The decision also returned the killing of 7-year-old Maria Ridulph in Sycamore, Illinois – the coldest murder case ever tried – to the unsolved case files.
    “Based on the changes in the law and the consideration of the additional evidence now available to this court that may not have been available to the trier of fact … Mr. McCullough’s petition is granted,” Brady said in issuing his ruling.

So her case grows cold once again, I was hoping that they arrested the right man and the family could finally have peace and closure and I was so sure he was the one that did it.