Thread: Bill Hunter

Mulvaness Guest

Bill Hunter

http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler...f-cancer-at-71
    CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Bill Hunter, the archetypal working class Australian of a multitude of movies including the quirky trio "Muriel's Wedding," "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Strictly Ballroom" has died of cancer, his manager said Sunday. He was aged 71.

Conkeror Guest

Bill Hunter

Muriel's Wedding star Bill Hunter dies
    Staff writers From: Herald Sun May 21, 2011 11:32PM

VETERAN Australian actor Bill Hunter has died in Melbourne, his manager Mark Morrissey says.

Hunter was admitted to a Kew hospice last week after being diagnosed with inoperable cancer.

It is believed he died with friends and family at his bedside.

Friend Gary Foley, who was with Hunter until his last moments, confirmed the news on Facebook.

Social network sites mourned Hunter's passing almost immediately after his death.

Actor Daniel McPherson tweeted: "RIP Bill Hunter. Legend of the Screen. Legend of a Man.''

Broadcaster and comedian Adam Hills also said on Twitter: "Saddened to hear of Bill Hunter's passing. Honoured to have worked with him. A giant of a man in every sense.''

Presenter Natalie Garonzi said: "Crap. Bloody sad news about Bill Hunter. What an Aussie screen legend. RIP.''

Hunter's manager Mark Morrissey could not be reached for comment.

Hunter's films include such Aussie classics as Gallipoli, Newsfront, Muriel's Wedding, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Strictly Ballroom.
    Obituary: Vale Bill Hunter the voice and face of Aussie cinema

He has two more films due for release this year - feel-good outback tale Red Dog on August 11 and The Cup on October 13, in which he plays legendary trainer Bart Cummings.

Simon Wincer, who directed Hunter in The Cup, said Hunter "will certainly be very fondly remembered . . . he has left his mark''.

Fellow actor and good mate David Field caught up with Hunter recently. The pair met on the set of the independent film Broken Highway in 1993.

"The moment we met, all hell broke loose. There was always going to be a lot of larrikinism going on. And that went right through until two weekends ago, when I flew down to see him,'' Field said last week.

Wincer said Hunter had shown no sign of illness when The Cup was shot last year. Hunter travelled to the set from his northwest Victorian property.

"He was his normal self,'' Wincer said. "I will say Billy has lived life pretty hard, a smoker and drinker, a legend in that department, but that was one of his charms.''

But Hunter's ex-wife Rhoda Roberts believes Hunter's drinking habits had been exaggerated.

"Surprisingly, he did not drink that much . . . he'd get a beer at lunchtime, but he would sit on that,'' she said.

Acting wasn't Hunter's first career choice. He was a member of the Olympic swimming team before meningitis relegated him to the sidelines. He took a job as an extra in On the Beach.

"That was Bill out there swimming across Melbourne's harbour,'' Roberts said. "That was how he got into acting.

"He basically watched Gregory Peck do 27 takes and thought, 'Oh, a mug could do that'."

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    I ADORE the film Strictly Ballroom. He was fab as Mr Fife!

RIP Mr B Fife!

Conkeror Guest
    He was great in every movie he appeared in, and, to be honest, there aren't many major Australian movies that he wasn't in. He was an absolute legend. RIP Bill.

GeneAutrysBoot Guest
    How very sad for the world. Seeing him in a movie was like seeing an old friend.

I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

DrDeath Guest
    Aw loved him in Muriel's Wedding! A real fair dinkum bloke.

KarmaKat Guest
    Such an amazing actor. I loved him in both Muriels Wedding and Strictly Dancing.

RIP Bill you were trully one in a million

CherryAcid Guest
    So so sad i loved him in Muriel's Wedding and Priscilla