Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neil Bonnett & Rodney Orr -Nascar

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    lol nevermind looks like great mind think alike lol sorry for the double post on the picture
    LOL -- we both found the same one! Surprised they ran that in a newspaper -- pretty graphic

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    LOL -- we both found the same one! Surprised they ran that in a newspaper -- pretty graphic
    yea it is. i was kinda shocked to see it. and nothing really shocks me lol. I was like wow thats pretty bold to put in the paper then.

Yep, those are the pics I was talking about. Pretty graphic and horrific.
    What did you think of the Eric Martin footage. Can you imagine radioing that you're okay, unbuckling to get out of the car, then....BAM!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    Yep, those are the pics I was talking about. Pretty graphic and horrific.
    What did you think of the Eric Martin footage. Can you imagine radioing that you're okay, unbuckling to get out of the car, then....BAM!
    Oh man, watching that video just gave me a whole new hairdoo.

I know nothing about racing and next to nothing about cars, only the fasteners that are used to build them.

Does anybody here know what one of those cars weighs and how fast they drive? My math challenged brain wants to calculate the forces involved. :-)

http://www.cramster.com/answers-nov-...441.aspx?rec=0

Now a days the weight has to be at least 3,400. However, at the time of that crash the rules could have been different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    The weight of a racecar was heavier back then. Not sure by how much though. They were also much slower than today's racecars. NASCAR drivers being able to drive 150mph to 200mph on a track these days, were only able to drive about 80mph to 100mph back in those days. Racecars for NASCAR up until the 80's were basically the same as a car you'd buy off the showroom floor. Also, car bodies were made of much heavier metal back then. Engines in the cars were heavier too. The radiators themselves were made of steel back then, instead of the aluminum that most radiators are made out of now. So, what it all boils down to is that older racecars were less aerodynamic and less likely to be able to absorb the impact of another racecar hitting it. Today's racecars take the impact of a crash and disperse the energy of it. That's why you see more pieces flying off a racecar in today's NASCAR crashes. They are designed to do that, so the energy of the crash is deflected away from the driver.
    Now why didn't they teach stuff like that in my high school physics class? I woulda related to that info better and not fail the class!
    Last edited by "What Tha....?"; 07-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    The weight of a racecar was heavier back then. Not sure by how much though. They were also much slower than today's racecars. NASCAR drivers being able to drive 150mph to 200mph on a track these days, were only able to drive about 80mph to 100mph back in those days. Racecars for NASCAR up until the 80's were basically the same as a car you'd buy off the showroom floor. Also, car bodies were made of much heavier metal back then. Engines in the cars were heavier too. The radiators themselves were made of steel back then, instead of the aluminum that most radiators are made out of now. So, what it all boils down to is that older racecars were less aerodynamic and less likely to be able to absorb the impact of another racecar hitting it. Today's racecars take the impact of a crash and disperse the energy of it. That's why you see more pieces flying off a racecar in today's NASCAR crashes. They are designed to do that, so the energy of the crash is deflected away from the driver.
    Now why didn't they teach stuff like that in my high school physics class? I woulda related to that info better and not fail the class!
    Yeah I wish I had paid more attention in high school physics. 100 mph is about 160 kmh. That's about the top practical speed on the Autobahn and top speed for my Volkswagen going downhill. 3400 lbs is 1542.21 kilos, almost twice the weight of my Golf II. So if my math is right that's 68942.95584 newton?

What I really wanted to figure out was the G-force, but that's beyond me

Let's just say its like being at a standstill on the autobahn facing the wrong way and getting front-ended by a big Benz or Audi or BMW going at almost top speed. Survivability = 0. I just hope he didn't have time to see it coming.

My husband's race car is my avatar. You would think I would know how much it weighs or how fast it goes but....I don't. Guess I didn't pay attention in physics either. lol

wmay Guest
    Could you pleas email me the Orr autopsy photos at wmay@npacc.net. Thanks

Watching or look at photos of these old wrecks is so much easier than watching Dan Wheldon's wreck from Sunday...at least, that's how it is for me. Probably because Dan was a driver near my age who I followed, rooted for, etc. He was my favorite in Indy. Deadly wrecks were much more common in the 50s, 60s, 70s...I didn't exist in those decades, so for me, this driver death is so shocking and devastating.

Wmay: did you get the pics ok? If not, lemme know, I can send them to you. Be warned though, they are pretty bad.

Can you send them to me too?? meganchristine19@live.com

LabActor Guest
    I'd like the photos too if anyone still has them. geminicancermix@gmail.com

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I don't follow racing, so does anyone know anything about this picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9118837.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	39629

missygir810 Guest
    Could you send them to me too please? Thanks!!! missygirl810@yahoo.com

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidChrissy View Post
    I don't follow racing, so does anyone know anything about this picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9118837.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	39629
    Anybody? Nobody knows? It's bothering me! I want to know what this picture is about! It's killing me! Anyone? Bueller?? Ahh!!

Anybody? Nobody knows? It's bothering me! I want to know what this picture is about! It's killing me! Anyone? Bueller?? Ahh!!
    Here you go Chrissy, I found a little bit of information:

http://www.life.com/sports-pictures/.../sourthern-500

And here's a bit from this link:

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/...garding-big-d/

The 1960 Southern 500 also stands out in my memory because of the unique circumstances that saw NASCAR legend Buck Baker win his second of three Darlington races. Baker was driving a 1960 Pontiac owned by driver Jack Smith. Jack Smith was one of the true NASCAR pioneers who began his career with the Grand National Series, now Sprint Cup, back in 1949. During the 1958 Southern 500 Smith was the victim of a horrendous accident. His car sailed over the guard rail, flipped five times and then rolled down an embankment where it came to rest in the speedway parking lot. Smith walked away from the accident but swore he would never race at Darlington again. That’s how Buck Baker wound up behind the wheel of Smith’s Pontiac for the 1960 race. During the final moments of this race Baker was in the lead but discovered that his left rear tire was going flat. The tire eventually blew and, during the white flag lap, the rubber flew off in large chunks. When Baker crossed under the checkers he was literally riding on his left rear rim with sparks flying from the car. It was truly a stunning display of driver control.
    Last edited by Cynful; 10-23-2011 at 07:56 PM.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Here you go Chrissy, I found a little bit of information:

http://www.life.com/sports-pictures/.../sourthern-500

And here's a bit from this link:

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/...garding-big-d/

The 1960 Southern 500 also stands out in my memory because of the unique circumstances that saw NASCAR legend Buck Baker win his second of three Darlington races. Baker was driving a 1960 Pontiac owned by driver Jack Smith. Jack Smith was one of the true NASCAR pioneers who began his career with the Grand National Series, now Sprint Cup, back in 1949. During the 1958 Southern 500 Smith was the victim of a horrendous accident. His car sailed over the guard rail, flipped five times and then rolled down an embankment where it came to rest in the speedway parking lot. Smith walked away from the accident but swore he would never race at Darlington again. That’s how Buck Baker wound up behind the wheel of Smith’s Pontiac for the 1960 race. During the final moments of this race Baker was in the lead but discovered that his left rear tire was going flat. The tire eventually blew and, during the white flag lap, the rubber flew off in large chunks. When Baker crossed under the checkers he was literally riding on his left rear rim with sparks flying from the car. It was truly a stunning display of driver control.
    Thank youuu!! How did you even find that? I Googled so many different keywords. I would've never thought of looking on the Life website. Duh! You're the best! That's good he survived. Can't believe he flipped so many times AND went down an embankment, yet he still survived all that.

Thank youuu!! How did you even find that? I Googled so many different keywords. I would've never thought of looking on the Life website. Duh! You're the best! That's good he survived. Can't believe he flipped so many times AND went down an embankment, yet he still survived all that.
    You are very welcome Chrissy! I actuallly found it by using Google's image search and once I found the Life photo and caption, was able to research from there- it was a "turn 2" kind of thing!!! Barbossa taught me how to use the image search- it's REALLY cool!

MorbidChrissy Guest
    You are very welcome Chrissy! I actuallly found it by using Google's image search and once I found the Life photo and caption, was able to research from there- it was a "turn 2" kind of thing!!! Barbossa taught me how to use the image search- it's REALLY cool!
    I was using the image search, too! But so many results came up and that picture never came up!

I was using the image search, too! But so many results came up and that picture never came up!
    I clicked on the camera icon in the box and copied the photo into the window that comes up- the photo came up multiple times and that's how I found the captioned one from Life magazine. I've used that type of search several times now when I have ONLY a photo and ZERO information about it.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I clicked on the camera icon in the box and copied the photo into the window that comes up- the photo came up multiple times and that's how I found the captioned one from Life magazine. I've used that type of search several times now when I have ONLY a photo and ZERO information about it.
    Excuse me for being dumb, but I'm not sure what you're talking about lol. Where is the camera icon? And where do you copy the photo? Just a bit confused. I've never heard of such a feature. That sounds so handy!

I'll be going to bed soon, so hopefully I'll wake up to an explanation I understand. It sounds really interesting and I would love to try that feature.

Excuse me for being dumb, but I'm not sure what you're talking about lol. Where is the camera icon? And where do you copy the photo? Just a bit confused. I've never heard of such a feature. That sounds so handy!

I'll be going to bed soon, so hopefully I'll wake up to an explanation I understand. It sounds really interesting and I would love to try that feature.
    You are a very bright woman Chrissy! Don't feel dumb, I just learned how to do this a short while back myself- Barbossa taught me! If you go to www.google.com and then click on "images" at the top left of the page, a google box will come up as it usually does, except this one will have a small camera icon inside on the right hand side. If you click on the camera icon, you will then be able to copy or download a photo, then click on search. It will bring up any other available copies of the photo you used, often times with more information and details. I have had much better luck doing this than I ever did just trying to type in descriptive words when searching for an image in the google image search. Hope this helps Chrissy! Please feel free to ask away if you have any questions!

Spinknarf Guest
    I just sent the pics to those who requested them. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    You are a very bright woman Chrissy! Don't feel dumb, I just learned how to do this a short while back myself- Barbossa taught me! If you go to www.google.com and then click on "images" at the top left of the page, a google box will come up as it usually does, except this one will have a small camera icon inside on the right hand side. If you click on the camera icon, you will then be able to copy or download a photo, then click on search. It will bring up any other available copies of the photo you used, often times with more information and details. I have had much better luck doing this than I ever did just trying to type in descriptive words when searching for an image in the google image search. Hope this helps Chrissy! Please feel free to ask away if you have any questions!
    Oh, wow! That makes total sense now! haha I never knew that existed!! You learn something new every day! I totally need that for a picture I've been wondering about. Thank you and thanks to Barbossa!

Oh, wow! That makes total sense now! haha I never knew that existed!! You learn something new every day! I totally need that for a picture I've been wondering about. Thank you and thanks to Barbossa!
    You are very welcome Chrissy! I hope that search can help you with the photo you've been wondering about! It was cool as all get out when Barbossa told me about it!

NOVSTORM Guest

I tried to view this, however it indicated that I need a user name and password. I have read the medical reports before, but was VERY interested in seeing any available pictures.

Thanks for the pics Spinknarf. You weren't kidding- those are pretty ghastly! For those who are interested, I just found some pics here as well. We warned tho, they are dead pics. http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...-morgue-82933/

Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post
    Thanks for the pics Spinknarf. You weren't kidding- those are pretty ghastly! For those who are interested, I just found some pics here as well. We warned tho, they are dead pics. http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...-morgue-82933/
    What the heck are those tubes coming out of his shoulder and stomach?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Now I'm curious about the tubes, too. I wish I could ask my cousin. He's an ER doctor, but I can never get in touch with him!

Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post
    Thanks for the GREAT link soaring_butterfly. Most appreciated- these are some excellent pics and a LOT of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    What the heck are those tubes coming out of his shoulder and stomach?
    My guess, since I have seen those before, (but just guessing folks - I worked at a hospital & a morgue but am by no means a medical professional like a doctor) that they tried to get a central line started - so that would be around the neck. And maybe some internal lead to monitor something. Those plastic circular entrances on his stomach could be from exploratory laproscopy of his abdomen - maybe trying to see where his was internally bleeding. But please, if I am incorrect, correct me. Like I said, these are just guesses, off of things I have seen.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Thanks for posting those. I can't find my copies now. Though i gotta admit, some of those pics made me blush a bit :\

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    My guess, since I have seen those before, (but just guessing folks - I worked at a hospital & a morgue but am by no means a medical professional like a doctor) that they tried to get a central line started - so that would be around the neck. And maybe some internal lead to monitor something. Those plastic circular entrances on his stomach could be from exploratory laproscopy of his abdomen - maybe trying to see where his was internally bleeding. But please, if I am incorrect, correct me. Like I said, these are just guesses, off of things I have seen.
    That looks to be exactly right Jrwzeigle- thank you for the additional details.

I tried to view this, however it indicated that I need a user name and password. I have read the medical reports before, but was VERY interested in seeing any available pictures.

Does anyone know how to get on this site? I would like to read some of the files -specifically the autopsy reports of Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr. Seen the photos now time to read the reports. Thanks!

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Does anyone know how to get on this site? I would like to read some of the files -specifically the autopsy reports of Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr. Seen the photos now time to read the reports. Thanks!
    I think you either have to pay or get an invite. A few people here have memberships, but they may have given away their two free invites. I wish I could join! There are a lot of gory pictures on that site.
    Last edited by MorbidChrissy; 10-28-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo

I think you either have to pay or get an invite. A few people here have memberships, but the may have given away their two free invites. I wish I could join! There are a lot of gory pictures on that site.
    IDK, I couldn't even see a way to get to a main site where you could register and pay. I REALLY want to see everything on there, but I'm not going to pay to do it.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    IDK, I couldn't even see a way to get to a main site where you could register and pay. I REALLY want to see everything on there, but I'm not going to pay to do it.
    I think the site opens it up a few days every month to register, but I won't pay either. It's only $10, but no thanks. Plus I heard that there are a lot of nasty people on that site. They're hags on a whole 'nother level. Like borderline sick. Not all of them are bad. Just the tone there is totally different from here.

I think the site opens it up a few days every month to register, but I won't pay either. It's only $10, but no thanks. Plus I heard that there are a lot of nasty people on that site. They're hags on a whole 'nother level. Like borderline sick. Not all of them are bad. Just the tone there is totally different from here.
    I have e-mailed to ask how to join but no response. Maybe I'm crazy but I would pay the $10 to see what I want to see.

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I have e-mailed to ask how to join but no response. Maybe I'm crazy but I would pay the $10 to see what I want to see.
    I guess you just need to catch them on a day that they're registering for new members. They have a page on Facebook, but they say not to "beg" for invites there.

I guess you just need to catch them on a day that they're registering for new members. They have a page on Facebook, but they say not to "beg" for invites there.
    I can't find them on Facebook. How are they listed? Thanks!

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I can't find them on Facebook. How are they listed? Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/DocumentingReality

I joined that site ages ago and I dont remember a fee. It says I can invite people if I have their email addy. So PM me if you want to join and I'll try sending an invite. And yes, it is on a different level than this site. It seems more brash, and there is some pretty heavy duty stuff on there...

P.S. I can only invite 2 people so I'll do this on a first-come, first-served basis to be fair...

Invites have been used up! However, if there is something you're looking for specifically, let me know and I can try to search documenting reality for it...

rogerbrett Guest
    I know this thread is old, but does anyone have the pictures of Orr’s car afterwards? All the links posted in the replies are dead sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinknarf View Post
    Ok folks,

I have the Rodney pics. Would it be better if I emailed them to you individually, as opposed to posting them here?

They really aren't pretty.

I know this thread is old but Spinknarf would you be able to email me the autopsy pics of Rodney Orr & Neil Bonnett? My email is adoria5@optimum.net. Thank You in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathThrill View Post
    I know this thread is old but Spinknarf would you be able to email me the autopsy pics of Rodney Orr & Neil Bonnett? My email is adoria5@optimum.net. Thank You in advance.
    Death Thrill please combine this second of your posts with the one above it. It's against police to post consecutive comments less than 30 minutes apart. We like to keep the forum tidy like that.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD