Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vic Morrow

bunny Guest
    oh man we are all sick heheheh WE WANT DEATH PICS DAMN IT

Yeah, I remember this one..

I couldn't believe they went ahead and released that segment of the movie..didn't they show some footage of Morrow in the water with the kids? And they didn't even acknowledge his death or do some kind of dedication in the credits? What a crock.

Even though Landis escaped prosecution, I think this pretty much derailed his career. At the time, he was the young, hip director who did Animal House, Blues Brothers, American Werewolf in London, not to mention Michael Jackson's Thriller, woo hoo.

He's still a working director, but he really hasn't done anything big since.

Read Julia Phillips' book, "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again". Its a very revealing and honest portrayal of all the movie industry execs, producers, directors, etc. who were totally coked out during this era, Landis included.

These drug addled idiots had more ego and coke than they had brains. No wonder so many movies of that era look so bad 20 plus years later. Everyone was out to cash in. Big contest to see who could do the most drugs and have the most profitable movie. Junk.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I guess I'm odd man out. I see an accident. I don't think anyone said "man, slow day so lets drop a helo and some people". People are just sue happy. Very sad accident.
    It was an accident. If I remember correctly the part that was outrageous were the kids were working illegally, also after hours. Really it goes on and on. Landis only seemed to care about his movie....hell with any rules. Just work overtime, be there. No one seemed to actually be held accountable for what happen. If the children were being protected under the laws of the State of California for child performers more then likely they would still be alive.

lobosco107 Guest
    Here is a great description of what happened during the whole ordeal. John Landis should never make another movie again:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...ht_zone/1.html

Seagorath Guest
    I think the director that plays in the film 'Tropic Thunder' is based on these coked out 80's directors...

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Read Julia Phillips' book, "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again". Its a very revealing and honest portrayal of all the movie industry execs, producers, directors, etc. who were totally coked out during this era, Landis included.

These drug addled idiots had more ego and coke than they had brains. No wonder so many movies of that era look so bad 20 plus years later. Everyone was out to cash in. Big contest to see who could do the most drugs and have the most profitable movie. Junk.

booksteve Guest
    In Vic Morrow's early film, THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE he has a quote about life that goes something like "Ya grow up, ya join the army, ya get yer head blown off." Found that ironic in the fact that his biggest claim to fame was all those years starring as an army sargeant in COMBAT, then in the TWILIGHT ZONE, he gets his head cut off for real.

Seagorath Guest
    Landis sucks.

Katy Segals father was decapitated by a helicopter on a movie set in 1981.
    http://helicoptertaxi.blogspot.com/2...elicopter.html
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Heres what seems to be some clearer footage of the accident.
    http://www.truveo.com/1984-Movie-Set.../id/1488327136
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Katy Segals father was decapitated by a helicopter on a movie set in 1981.
    http://helicoptertaxi.blogspot.com/2...elicopter.html

cool link ich,

from that link

Ironic & Separate Decapitations
    On May 22, 1981, Boris Segal was decapitated when he accidentally walked into the tail rotor of a Bell 206B helicopter while on location filming a movie. He is the Father of actress Katey Sagal (Married with Children). The freak accident occurred during production of the made-for-TV movie World War III, when he exited the Jet Ranger and walked directly into the rotor blades of the helicopter that was in the parking lot of the Timberline Lodge in Oregon (the same lodge used for the exterior aerial shots of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining). Sagal was replaced with another director the very next day.

What's the Connection?
    Sagal's death is ironic in that among his directorial credits, was the pilot episode of the popular TV series Combat!. This series starred Vic Morrow, who also died from being struck by the rotor blade of a helicopter within a year of Sagal, and also while shooting a film on location. In Morrow's case, that film was The Twilight Zone.

dovescry1999 Guest
    I know Eddie (Tranny Man) Murphy told an interview
    "Landis has a better chance of working with Vic Morrow before I work with him again..."
    Or, something to that affect.
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 10-05-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add, subtract...

RetroFanatic Guest
    I remember having a strong dislike for Landis after I heard this story in the early 90's. His manner about the whole thing irritated me; He might as well have said, "Oh well, that's life. That happens when you're in this business."

That scene is horrible and the song makes it all the more haunting. And I immediately thought of Jim Morrison when listening to the song because the voice is familiar.
    Last edited by RetroFanatic; 10-06-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: I had to delete one word

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I know Eddie (Tranny Man) Murphy told an interview
    "Landis has a better chance of working with Vic Morrow before I work with him again..."
    Or, something to that affect.
    ...............lol.............

Pinklovedoll Guest
    I cant believe they didnt dedicate The Twilight Zone to him and the kids,thats just dirty.And I remember the making of Michael Jacksons Thriller,Landis was picking up MJ and throwin him over his shoulder and stuff,I thought he was gay after seein that.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinklovedoll View Post
    I cant believe they didnt dedicate The Twilight Zone to him and the kids,thats just dirty.And I remember the making of Michael Jacksons Thriller,Landis was picking up MJ and throwin him over his shoulder and stuff,I thought he was gay after seein that.

I felt the same way............ I watched a few weeks ago from beginning to end and nothing................... I was totally floored......... this poor man and those darling children killed .............. and not even a mention in their memories............ like it was irrelevant to the movie

Lisamarie Guest
    it was such a scary scene ..I mean even to watch ..it just looks so freaky and the helicopter is hovering right above them...I think it must have been quick...just bam its over! I hope anyway....allthough I really wanna see the death pics!!! I know Im awful!!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    it was such a scary scene ..I mean even to watch ..it just looks so freaky and the helicopter is hovering right above them...I think it must have been quick...just bam its over! I hope anyway....allthough I really wanna see the death pics!!! I know Im awful!!

you're not awful....... you're a death hag.................... we ALL want to see those pics.......

BUMP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

HKWolf Guest
    Horrible. Landis should have served sometime for this. But life goes on, right John? Wonder how he's feel if it was his kids or father who were killed.

bump
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Soonerson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    bump
    More like chop.

Saveria Guest
    It was a crappy movie in the end - hardly worth the lives of three innocent people.

Kimmell Guest
    Were there any law suits made by the family of Vic and the children?

above images taken during the
    run of the tv series COMBAT
    circa 1963

thought to be the last photograph taken of MORROW
    summer 1982
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I must be a real sick-o Death Hag, because I keep wondering what the expression on Morrow's face looked like when his head was found.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Kimmell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I must be a real sick-o Death Hag, because I keep wondering what the expression on Morrow's face looked like when his head was found.
    Years ago, someone in a movie forum said that their father was part of the biohazard recovery team who went into the area and removed the bodies. From what this guy said, the area was immidently cleared of all personnel from the film crew. They crew even turned off the lights that was affixed to the cranes, making it almost completley dark. When the paramedics, police, and fire trucks arrived, they had the crew turn the lights back on that were attached to the cranes so they could survey what had happened. The copter was in two pieces, with the blades near the shore, and the body of the copter near the middle of the lake. Mud, blood, and quite a bit of equipment from the set was strawn in and across the lake, such as video monitors, cables, and a station where port-a-johns were located got destroyed. Once the copter landed, the people in the plane told police they remained in the copter from being in shock, and not believing what lay in front of them. The said the complete set on the movie looked like a tornado had hit it. The guy said his father and other biohazard personnel had to wait until the smoke and flames from the burning set to be put out, and the crew from the set to be placed away from the area before they could do the cleanup of removing the bodies. His father said Vic was decpitated with the blade slicing through the left side of his head, going through his neck, with his right shoulder and arm still attached. This part of his body was found near the body of the copter, which was lying on it's side. The rest of Vic's body was located near the middle of the lake with a severed arm, hand, and deep cuts. One of the children was found under the copters skid, with deep cuts to the face, the right leg almost severed, and the chest of the child was layed open. The other was decapitated from upper shoulder, and from the forehead up was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmell View Post
    Were there any law suits made by the family of Vic and the children?
    Pretty sure Landis was sued and had a bit of trouble getting another gig for a few years.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

GrinReaper Guest
    You can count me in as a member of the club that is also angry at John Landis.

I always assumed that there must have been a monetary settlement. I mean, Jennifer Jason Leigh can't be surviving on her talent!

Kimmell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    I always assumed that there must have been a monetary settlement. I mean, Jennifer Jason Leigh can't be surviving on her talent!
    LOL!!!!

According to the book, Special Effects by Ron Labrecque, Jennifer Jason Leigh got $100 in her father's will. Her sister Carrie wrote a song that was performed at Morrow's funeral, "Time Together":
    You were here
    I was there
    We were happy when we were together
    You are here
    I am somewhere
    We are laughing because
    We'll always remember our time together.

One question for fellow Death Hags, how can Vic remember in the afterlife since he lost his head?
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

haha!

AnnaD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerson View Post
    More like chop.

35. 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Oh Mint, you're so cruel in your...truth-telling.

Anyway.... Some people have inquired after any photos taken of the bodies/crime scene..... I could have sworn I read in Outrageous Conduct (one of the books on the case) that there were photos taken that night but somehow the studio (Warner Bros.) got a hold of them and destroyed them, I guess to limit their legal liability in the case. Or (more likely) to forestall the public furor that would have likely been incited by the photos if they got out.... I can only imagine how much more grisly/shocking those photos were compared to say the footage.

This case itself has always fascinated me....ever since I was watching the old TV show some five years ago and decided for the hell of it to just Google "Twilight Zone" and in the process (re)discovered the 1982 remake and the tragic incident that happened during its filming. It's actually how I stumbled upon FAD--reading everything I could about the accident that took Vic and the kids' lives. I get the feeling there's more to the case then we know or ever will know.... Either way, the fact that three people lost their lives in some senseless, completely avoidable accident because of someone else's ego, immaturity, and stupidity always gets my blood boiling...and I'm not a person easily riled.

Has anyone been to Indian Dunes/the Santa Clara river area anytime lately? I've always wanted to sneak up there and see for myself where it all happened, but I guess the old filming location itself is hard to get to or closed off to public access. (Not that that would stop me if I had the time and money to get up there....) They don't even film many movies or TV shows up there anymore, from what I've seen.....
    Last edited by theladyinquestion; 07-20-2011 at 01:26 AM.

By the way, is there anyone here who's just a fan of Vic's work? Granted, this is coming from someone who probably wouldn't have known he existed, much less eventually became a fan, if I hadn't first read about the accident all those years ago (though some of the men in my family were/are big fans of Combat!), but I kind of hate how his death has essentially become the only thing he's known for.
    The man was a talented (not to mention--at least IMO--handsome) actor. He should be remembered as such.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Sadly, you're quite right about his death being for what he is most recognized. I had never heard of him until I stumbled upon the Twilight Zone accident clip on this site, and even since then I couldn't tell you a single program or movie he was in (other than Twilight Zone) until you mentioned Combat!. It is a shame.

RIP Vic, My-ca, and Renee

Giada Guest
    [QUOTE
    Has anyone been to Indian Dunes/the Santa Clara river area anytime lately? I've always wanted to sneak up there and see for myself where it all happened, but I guess the old filming location itself is hard to get to or closed off to public access. (Not that that would stop me if I had the time and money to get up there....) They don't even film many movies or TV shows up there anymore, from what I've seen.....[/QUOTE]

Santa Clarita is my home town. My brother's would race their bikes at Indian Dunes, (beautiful area off the 126).

With the planned community, (200,000), and expansion of 126 I wonder what is left.

We knew at the time of the accident, there was an immediate cover-up, loss of studio income and the lawsuits were overwhelming.

As to photos, there were photos of the chopper dipping down and connect to the bodies, then stopped.

There is a reason for calling lawyers ambulance chaser's. Accident happens they are there to meet the ambulance.
    Last edited by Giada; 07-20-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    Sadly, you're quite right about his death being for what he is most recognized. I had never heard of him until I stumbled upon the Twilight Zone accident clip on this site, and even since then I couldn't tell you a single program or movie he was in (other than Twilight Zone) until you mentioned Combat!. It is a shame.
    What's even sadder in a way is people are beginning to forget about the accident as well. Even a lot of the people I mention it to in our film school just give me a blank stare. It should be one of those things the film community never forgets (as the old saying goes, "those who forget their history...").

Hey, it's long overdue:

(From IMDb) "Born in the Bronx, Vic Morrow dropped out of high school at 17 to join the U.S. Navy. When he left the Navy, he used the G.I. Bill to study pre-law at Florida State. While Morrow was working on his degree in Law, he also took part in a school play and found that he preferred stage acting to courtroom acting. When he went to New York, Morrow enrolled in the Actors' Workshop to improve his skills.

"After graduating, he was cast in the summer stock production of "A Streetcar Named Desire". His screen debut came when he was signed by MGM to play a tough-talking, surly street punk in Blackboard Jungle (1955). The good news was that he was now in the movies, but the bad news was that he became typecast as a heavy. Disappointed with this situation, Morrow left MGM after a few years and headed back to school to study directing at USC.

"He made some appearances on television and in 1962 found a role that brought him fame and made him the "hero": the TV series "Combat!" (1962), in which he played Sgt. Chip Saunders, veteran squad leader. Due to his demands, the show quickly went from an alternating showcase between platoon leader Lt. Hanley (Rick Jason) and Sgt. Saunders to one featuring mainly Saunders. With the success of the show, Morrow put to use what he had learned at USC and directed some episodes. In 1965 he and his wife divorced, and two years later the series ended. These two events put him into a personal and professional slide.

"By 1969 he began almost a decade of making made-for-TV movies, with an occasional foray into features. Most of his roles, though, put him back as a "heavy", although he did have a good part as a tough L.A. cop going up against out-of-town mobsters in a two-part episode of "Police Story" (1973) that was later released as a telefeature. While he worked in the theater and looked forward to the big screen, most of his roles were in "B" pictures such as Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) and Treasure of Matecumbe (1976). He got good reviews playing Walter Matthau's nemesis in the hit comedy The Bad News Bears (1976), but was not involved in any of the following sequels, and he seemed to be stuck in a rut of "B" features and average made-for-TV films.

"With the failure of his second marriage, the death of his mother and the scarcity of good parts, Morrow hit the bottle, which did his career even less good. In 1982, however, he refocused his drive and made a comeback in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983), but was unfortunately killed on the early morning hours of July 23, 1982 in a tragic, freak accident on the set while filming a scene involving a helicopter which crashed right on top of him and two young children."

More interesting stuff here.
    Last edited by theladyinquestion; 07-23-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post

Santa Clarita is my home town. My brother's would race their bikes at Indian Dunes, (beautiful area off the 126).

With the planned community, (200,000), and expansion of 126 I wonder what is left.

We knew at the time of the accident, there was an immediate cover-up, loss of studio income and the lawsuits were overwhelming.
    As to photos, there were photos of the chopper dipping down and connect to the bodies, then stopped.
    I've heard stuff about someone wanted to build houses up there. Honestly who would want to live where it happened? Talk about bad mojo, if you believe in that sort of thing....

Yesterday I was bored while doing the ol' laundry, and I looked up Indian Dunes on Google maps and actually found it this time. I drew up a little map, if anyone's interested: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...14904,0.040812

This is the most recent image of the area I've found and I don't see any houses.... Just an RV park a few miles away from where it happened. I wonder if maybe someone had planned to build here but the housing bubble bursting put a stop to it....

The pictures I was referring to were supposedly of the bodies post-accident. I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to see those, as morbidly curious as I am.

UPDATE: Today is the 29th anniversary of the accident. RIP Vic, My-Ca, Renee....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vic at the camera 3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	31224  
    Last edited by theladyinquestion; 07-23-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Giada Guest
    Thanks for the map. Newhall Ranch has had this area in master planning for the last 20 years. It may be the economy slowing building in the area.

It is beautiful ... I used to take the scuba boats out of Santa Barbara, and the drive across 126 with the orange trees in bloom was wonderful.

Filming at and around Santa Clarita has been done for years. The Disney Ranch is in SC, Gene Autry Ranch, has studios, Deadwood was filmed there. Valencia, (SC) has studios, (Weed's, etc.)

Charlies Angel's, Rockford Files ... filmed in SC.

29 years ... long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Thanks for the map....

Filming at and around Santa Clarita has been done for years. The Disney Ranch is in SC, Gene Autry Ranch, has studios, Deadwood was filmed there. Valencia, (SC) has studios, (Weed's, etc.)

Charlies Angel's, Rockford Files ... filmed in SC.
    No problem! Is it true Indian Dunes itself is/has been closed to filming though?

Giada Guest
    http://pirumansion.com/

Piru Mansion is in this area.

Newhall Land and Farm owns Indian Dunes.

1990 the area was converted to farming.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-...ilm-commission

Murphee Guest
    Why not? She always seemed to be a busy actress?

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    What's even sadder in a way is people are beginning to forget about the accident as well. Even a lot of the people I mention it to in our film school just give me a blank stare. It should be one of those things the film community never forgets (as the old saying goes, "those who forget their history...").
    Well said. People should never forget that tragedies like this accident are what you get when you put money and ego before the safety and well-being of others.

NakedScotsman Guest
    I remember reading about this many years ago, a real shame what happened.

aedgar5000 Guest

Vic Morrow death video (WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC)

Hey everyone. Here is a Youtube clip which is the most graphic version of the Vic Morrow death video I have ever watched.

WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC: Frame by frame breakdown so you do see the heads coming off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYDCcZqXM8
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 08-04-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    According to the book, Special Effects by Ron Labrecque, Jennifer Jason Leigh got $100 in her father's will. Her sister Carrie wrote a song that was performed at Morrow's funeral, "Time Together":
    You were here
    I was there
    We were happy when we were together
    You are here
    I am somewhere
    We are laughing because
    We'll always remember our time together.

One question for fellow Death Hags, how can Vic remember in the afterlife since he lost his head?

I read somwhere, I think it was Rolling Stone years ago that Jennifer Jason Leigh and her father did not get along. He left her 100.00 in his will and the bulk of his estate to the other daughter. When they asked her about it, she burst into tears. Unresolved issues.....I think she looks just like him.

Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    Hey everyone. Here is a Youtube clip which is the most graphic version of the Vic Morrow death video I have ever watched.

WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC: Frame by frame breakdown so you do see the heads coming off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4itx0UOFY
    That version has been taken down, but I think there's another one around Youtube somewhere.... Eh, I tried to bring myself to watch it but can only glimpse bits and pieces. One shot I looked at there was something that might have been a human head bobbing in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I read somwhere, I think it was Rolling Stone years ago that Jennifer Jason Leigh and her father did not get along. He left her 100.00 in his will and the bulk of his estate to the other daughter. When they asked her about it, she burst into tears. Unresolved issues.....I think she looks just like him.
    Supposedly she hates his guts, but I've yet to read anything where she says something negative about him. In fact, in one interview (I think the Actor's Studio?) she said something positive about him being a good actor or director or something like that. Anyhow, I think her policy is one of general avoidance of the subject, from everything I've heard and read. Which must be hard because, as you point, she's the spittin' image of him:

...but you know, female.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    That version has been taken down, but I think there's another one around Youtube somewhere.... Eh, I tried to bring myself to watch it but can only glimpse bits and pieces. One shot I looked at there was something that might have been a human head bobbing in the water.
    That's a bummer it was taken down, though I suppose it was only a matter of time. I found the other video, so the new link is legit. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYDCcZqXM8

I know what your talking about with the body chunk floating in the water. That was nasty. What really gets me is seeing the heads separate in slow motion. I had only ever seen it in real time before, so you normally don't catch the decaps.
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 08-04-2011 at 07:21 PM.