Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vivien Leigh

trinlee Guest
    Love these pictures she was a stunning looking lady. I love the ones of her when she was older, have never seen them before, she certainly aged well, such a graceful lady.
    Last edited by trinlee; 10-12-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Typos lol

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Hez Guest
    So is the Anne Edwards Bio the best one?

I read about the incident with Vivienne slapping Olivier around the face with wet towels, I think he had taken to locking his bedroom door and she broke in. I can't imagine what it would be like to live with somebody going through that.

Reecy Guest
    She was still beautiful. The perfect Scarlett O'Hara.

Vivien was classy wasnt she! Its so sad to think there wasnt enough to help her condition when she was alive.... If the press wasnt as censored as it was controlled by the studios then - would she have made stars like lohan and spears look tame by today standards??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    So is the Anne Edwards Bio the best one?

I read about the incident with Vivienne slapping Olivier around the face with wet towels, I think he had taken to locking his bedroom door and she broke in. I can't imagine what it would be like to live with somebody going through that.

I think Hugo Vicker's book is the better one--the first editions of the book have stunning covers with Vivien from Waterloo Bridge.

Starstruck Guest
    I remember reading a biography about Vivien ( can't remember which one ) and I am sure it quoted her at some stage during a time she was having an " episode " and was separated from Lord Oliver and she said " she didn't know what she was doing she was running around in her room on the phone with Oliver in one hand and a stained sanitary napkin in the other " and she was at a complete loss and couldn't seem to function. Poor thing she had her problems and I am sure Olivier helped as much as he could but I think he was getting dragged down with her and he couldn't deal with it any more and couldn't see how it was going to end.

cto69 Guest
    I`d like to share my Vivien Leigh story. When my mother was a small child in the late 1940`s, she and her mother were having an afternoon tea in a hotel called the Windsor in Melbourne Australia .As they were in the foyer with few people around Vivien Leigh and Sir Laurance Olivier, by themselves, walked past and both smiled at my stunned mother and grandmother. My mother said Leigh was the most beautiful woman she has ever seen and had glowing skin and the most amazing green eyes.I`ve given my mother a good ribbing over the years at her and my grandmother for not stopping them and talking to them, which could have happend as the Oliviers had a very approachable demeaner when they were hear in Australia.
    She just keeps saying " but we were to stunned to do anything but stand there with our mouths open".

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cto69 View Post
    I`d like to share my Vivien Leigh story. When my mother was a small child in the late 1940`s, she and her mother were having an afternoon tea in a hotel called the Windsor in Melbourne Australia .As they were in the foyer with few people around Vivien Leigh and Sir Laurance Olivier, by themselves, walked past and both smiled at my stunned mother and grandmother. My mother said Leigh was the most beautiful woman she has ever seen and had glowing skin and the most amazing green eyes.I`ve given my mother a good ribbing over the years at her and my grandmother for not stopping them and talking to them, which could have happend as the Oliviers had a very approachable demeaner when they were hear in Australia.
    She just keeps saying " but we were to stunned to do anything but stand there with our mouths open".

Awesome story! Several years ago I had a doctor by the name of Hywel Davies( how British) and he told me of how he had seen her on the stage at one time. Talking about an agape mouth! I think we got on the subject because I had taken my latest copy of her bio to his office while I waited for him to come in. And that was probably in the early eighties, so it was probably Anne Edwards' book.

I recommend Alexander Walker's biography of Vivien. Avoid Anne Edwards' bio of Vivien , she threw in a lot of crap along the lines of "Vivien thought this.., Vivien felt that..." Unless you have direct access to someone's letters, journals, etc. (which Edwards apparently didn't) , DON'T pretend to be a mindreader. Also, don't keep telling us that in her final years Vivien kept looking "more beautiful than ever". I've seen quite a few candid photos of Vivien that showed the effects of how her various illnesses took their toll. She was still a lovely lady, but it's tough to look at those photos and realize that this is someone who's around 50 years old, because she looked much older.
    Edwards portrayed Olivier more as a villain for not staying with her, whereas other Leigh biographers have been more objective and pointed out the pressures of being part of the high-profile public-couple ("Larry and Viv") to millions of their fans.
    I think Walker ends his bio by saying that soon after Vivien died, some psychic claimed that Vivien was calling out from the 'Great Beyond'. Olivier wanted no part of a seance, but Vivien's first husband Leigh Holman apparently attended along with Vivien's final companion Jack Merivale (Leigh and Jack were on friendly terms, and Vivien herself always remained close to Holman). The dead "Vivien" wanted people to know she didn't commit suicide and she kept asking "How is Larry?" (Olivier had undergone surgery shortly before Vivien died). In his autobio, Olivier states he was discreetly allowed into Vivien's London apartment to see her body before her it was taken away. Also, "Vivien" said that being dead was sort of like floating ......turns out that her ashes were spread on the small pond behind her final country house, Tickerage, so who knows ??

Damn you Scarlett O'hara

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up. I just finished this book. It was horrible. I truly wish I had never read it, and just kept my memories of Gone with the Wind in tact. In the book, it makes both Vivien and Lawrence look like dogs in heat, who would sleep with anything. it also describes and confrontation between Vivien and Carole Lombard over Clark Gable, that most historians say never happened. Total waste of reading time.

The sad fact is, a lot of people (too many people) will probably buy Damn You and believe what they've read. I read a Gable "bio" that claimed that one of the annual MGM Christmas parties degenerated into an orgy (after the Grand Poobahs like Mayer left, of course) where "everyone" found a sex-partner and posed nude in the photographers' studios. "All" negatives were said to be quickly destroyed within a few days. Probably the most ridiculous rumor I've ever read. This same book also claimed that Vivien had an abortion (Larry's baby, not Clark's) during the filming of GWTW. I do believe that Larry had bisexual tendencies, but with Danny Kaye of all people ? I remember something that Anne Edwards wrote in her Vivien bio that makes me believe it. Vivien had a breakdown making Elephant Walk, Larry was taking Vivien off the plane in L.A. and Danny Kaye appeared. Larry and Danny embraced/hugged, and Vivien became greatly agitated at the sight of Danny. Guess it's bad enough for a beautiful woman to realize that her spouse could be cheating on her with other women. How are you supposed to react when your husband is cheating on you with another man, and then you see the other man embrace your husband in public ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    I remember when the 50th Anniversary Edition came out on VHS quite a few years back. My son saved up his money to buy that for me for Mother's Day. He was only 16 years old and the thing cost eighty bucks. That touched me beyond words. He even went and saw it with me at a local theater here when it was released after it had been restored. He had zero interest in that movie but sat through it because he knew I wanted to see it. What a great kid!
    I spent that same amount for my then Mother -In-Law, and almost regretted it... because I had to sit through the entire movie! Fortunately it was $$$ well spent... because I GOT the girl in the end, for however long it lasted! Turned out to be a great movie!

14. 05-21-2012, 06:53 AM

MoonRabbit Guest
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...l-service.html

I believe Scotty Bowers could be telling the truth. He kept his mouth shut for so long and will only discuss patrons that are gone.
    It's a gross story but Hollywood was wild from silent films on...

"Bowers has been drawn to sex ever since he was a young boy. He remembers growing up in Chicago and fishing used condoms out of the river. “I washed them out, dried them, hung them up, and resold them,” he says in our interview, adding that was one of the details edited out of the book. “Boom! Supply and demand.” By the time he was 11, he was having sex with multiple Catholic priests, but he doesn’t see it as abuse. “I let them do it, didn’t I? So therefore I wasn’t abused. They would be very nice. They would hold me, cuddle me, jack off with me, and give me a few bucks.”

Bidmor Guest

MoonRabbit Guest
    Oh Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62bmh1end8dlne8m.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	23279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62blyqr4u7qplbqp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	23280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62bk2clk9g2a9k22.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	23281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62bjxwmlhtmnjbwn.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	23282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62bj3bo2o76qjbbq.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	23283
    What a beautiful little girl she was! imo VL was the most beautiful actress in Hollywood, ever. Sad she was such a tortured soul.

Bidmor Guest
    I caught 1938's "Sidewalks Of London" recently from TCM. Charles Laughton got top billing then VL then Rex Harrison, shot in London by a British company. It's a wonderful little gem with Laughton playing a street performer and VL the same sidelining as a pickpocket. Laughton takes VL under his wing and next thing, with help from love interest Rex Harrison, VL is a huge theater star while Laughton remains unknown. The interplay between Laughton and VL is superb, perfectly mixing light comedy with drama.

Issued in 1938, VL would soon become a worldwide superstar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030746/

Apparently today is Vivian's 100th birthday -

Happy 100th, Scarlett
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Some photos of Vivian through the ages.http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/05/showbi...ery/index.html
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Even though she lived her final years in a happy relationship with the actor Jack Merivale, the impression I have of her is of a wistful woman who never got over her second divorce. As one biographer wrote, Olivier's divorce was the first real big "NO" she had to contend with. As much as she loved Jack, "Larry" was THE love and passion of her life. I may have mentioned this in an earlier VL post, but one biography has (shortly after Vivien's death) Jack and Vivien's first husband Leigh Holman attending a séance/psychic who claimed they had contacted Vivien. Vivien said she felt she was floating and repeatedly asked how Larry was. No idea if the British press reported the details of Vivien's last wishes (she was cremated and her ashes spread on the pond at her beloved country home, Tickerage Mill.. hence the "floating"). Also, Larry had undergone major surgery before Vivien died and (through mutual friends) Larry wanted Vivien to know he was recovering nicely.

I always thought she was stunning. Yesterday, TCM had a movie marathon celebrating her 100th bday. I had never seen "That Hamilton Woman" until last night, and I was truly amazed. Good movie.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

radiojane Guest
    My mom phoned me absolutely aghast last night. She'd never seen "Streetcar" and found it horrifying (in the good way).

The only thing that comes to mind when I hear her name is her penchant for covering her dirty undies with specially made hankerchiefs, and her habit of sending her panties through the mail to Olivier. (This is the problem with authorized biographies. You learn too much).

Great color image of VIVIEN from GONE WITH THE WIND ... ... ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIVIANIIII.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	49857
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Darrianne Guest
    I remember when the 50th Anniversary Edition came out on VHS quite a few years back. My son saved up his money to buy that for me for Mother's Day. He was only 16 years old and the thing cost eighty bucks.
    Aww,sweet kid! I bought that for my Mama too and don't remember exactly how much it cost but it was expensive. She loved it though. I got it back after she died.

Darrianne Guest
    This is my Mama. People used to say she looked like Vivian Leigh - or Liz Taylor. She didn't really to me but she was my beautiful Mama. I miss her so.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mama.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	49898

Your mother was beautiful! She definitely had that star quality.

R.I.P. beautiful lady.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

And beautiful she will always be Darrianne, just lovely.

Darrianne Guest
    Thank you McMorbid and Mansfield67. She was pretty special to me. I was a Mama's girl.

Darrianne, your mother was beautiful! I can only imagine how much you miss her. I, too, was a mama's girl and I think of her everyday. How lucky we are to have had such wonderful women to love us and teach us how to be women!
    I mean, they say you die twice.
    One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

Banksy

her former country estate is for sale - a beautiful place

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...-for-sale.html

I would love to buy that place. I guess I need to win the lottery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kilkennylas Guest

Vivien Leigh Home

Her house were her ashes were scattered is up for sale......its beautiful

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-45759992.html

Quote Originally Posted by kilkennylas View Post
    Her house were her ashes were scattered is up for sale......its beautiful

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-45759992.html
    Everything about Vivian Leigh goes in this thread. Please do a search before creating a new topic.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Wow... that place is beyond perfect.

What a beauty she was! And she is the answer to the trivia question, "What British actress won two Oscars for playing southern women?"
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I'll say ! I would love a home like that, so tranquil and serene... just beautiful, like the lady herself.

Holy Jesus on the Cross, look at this link to read Laurence Olivier's x-rated love letters to Viv:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...seen-time.html
    Last edited by McCourt; 02-01-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

WOW
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

For some reason I can't see him writing these. Was he not bi-sexual, and later in life having an affair with Danny Kaye?! I remember reading about that somewhere years ago, and then that show Mysteries and Scandals covered that period in their lives. As I recall it was the given reason Vivian had mental issues.

Tomorrow is Vivien's 50th Deathiversary; she was only 53, but Scarlett O'Hara had finally run out of Tomorrows.
    Last edited by Dave62; 07-07-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Vivien's heirs are having an auction of her various belongings: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/...on-l17148.html
    Vivien's grandson is interviewed in this article about the upcoming auction: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/c...nside-private/

That wedding ring is knock-out!!!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I want the Gone With the Wind script. OMG. I wish I was rich. I would so go to this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Waterloo Bridge. She played Myra, a ballerina turned hooker.

"Gone with the Wind' is one of my all-time favorites. I never get tired of watching it, no matter how many times I've seen it. Because I am such a huge fan of Vivien Leigh, I rented all the movies I could find with her in it. I don't think she was raped in GWTW. She was attacked in what they referred to as "shanty town", but Big Sam saved her. Also, I could have sworn she played a prostitute in one of her films, but when I went to look on imdb.com I couldn't find it. Maybe it was her roommate in the film that was the prostitute. Has anyone seen this movie, and know the title?

qulevergrrl - I do have a question about your comment regarding Butterfly McQueen. What exactly do you mean by "buck the tiger"?

Tomorrow is another day, and also another auction. Now we can bid on all types of Hollywood jewelry, including the necklace Scarlett wore to the Twelve Oaks barbecue, the necklace worn on her New Orleans honeymoon (the restaurant scene), also Belle Watling's bell earrings. I enjoyed viewing the online catalog because it has lots of interesting photos - publicity photos, screenshots featuring the item for auction, also on-set photos (wardrobe stills taken to maintain consistency, not intended for publication). Interesting how some pieces were used over and over.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/aucti...eff/index.html

Waterloo Bridge reminds me of this old Vaughn Monroe song

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    Tomorrow is another day, and also another auction. Now we can bid on all types of Hollywood jewelry, including the necklace Scarlett wore to the Twelve Oaks barbecue, the necklace worn on her New Orleans honeymoon (the restaurant scene), also Belle Watling's bell earrings. I enjoyed viewing the online catalog because it has lots of interesting photos - publicity photos, screenshots featuring the item for auction, also on-set photos (wardrobe stills taken to maintain consistency, not intended for publication). Interesting how some pieces were used over and over.

Thanks for sharing this! Would not mind owning some of this historical bling, worn by the likes of Linda Darnell and Loretta Young. Those were movie stars !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post

Oh how I'd love to own some GWTW set jewelry or costumes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

52. 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM