Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vivien Leigh

Found this interesting photo of Vivien with Nicola Pagett: the Anna Karenina of 1977 meets the Anna Karenina of 1948.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vivien_Nicole.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	55138

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    Found this interesting photo of Vivien with Nicola Pagett: the Anna Karenina of 1977 meets the Anna Karenina of 1948.

Love this! Thanks for sharing, Dave!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post

Unfortunately, another thing the two have in common is mental illness. Vivien's issues are well know but Nicola sadly had problems as well, something she went into detail about in her autobiography. She was in and out of the papers for doing things that raised eyebrows, culminating when she became obsessed with Tony Blair's press secretary/spin doctor Alastair Campbell. She was eventually diagnosed with what was called manic depression at the time and is now known as Bipolar Disorder. She rarely appears in public anymore but thankfully seems to be doing well.

Nice Find.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Unfortunately, another thing the two have in common is mental illness. Vivien's issues are well know but Nicola sadly had problems as well, something she went into detail about in her autobiography. She was in and out of the papers for doing things that raised eyebrows, culminating when she became obsessed with Tony Blair's press secretary/spin doctor Alastair Campbell. She was eventually diagnosed with what was called manic depression at the time and is now known as Bipolar Disorder. She rarely appears in public anymore but thankfully seems to be doing well.

Yikes! Poor Nicola, I had no idea about her health problems. Thanks for the update on her health and personal life. Here in the U.S. she's probably best-remembered for Karenina and the long-ago PBS series Upstairs, Downstairs. And Nicola was only in part of Downstairs. Her character was written out of the show, by moving her to America. The bipolar disorder explains why I haven't seen her professionally in years.

Found some info to explain their knowing each other. Vivien played the title role in the play La Contessa. The play was based on the novel The Film of Memory by Maurice Druon , which was based on a real-life courtesan. Vivien's character is elderly, staying in a hotel; perhaps Nicola played the kindly maid who worked there. Vivien deliberately chose a stage make-up that could be compared to the "hag" look then being used for Actresses of a Certain Age in Hollywood. Perhaps she was challenging the critics who for decades assessed her only for her looks. Maybe she wanted to prove she could transition into non-glamorous older roles, while maintaining her dignity. The closest she came to a real "hag" look was her excessive makeup for Mary Treadwell throughout most of Ship of Fools.

A Spanish fan who corresponded with Vivien on a regular basis (and who visited Leigh twice) is now auctioning some of the items in her collection, including two photos of Larry and Viv posing nude - separately - outdoors. After Vivien's death the fan kept in contact with Vivien's daughter Suzanne and mother Gertrude. Vivien's family began to send the fan various personal items, including some of Vivien's ashes that landed on some of the leaves in the lake!
    I believe the auction ends on 5/26, the link to the auction site is below.

https://www.setdart.com/subasta/thum...21vivienleigh/
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-11-2021 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Delete link to nude photos

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    Unfortunately, another thing the two have in common is mental illness.
    I would go so far as to notice that acting is about the only profession where mental illness is more an asset than a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by J from Paris View Post
    I would go so far as to notice that acting is about the only profession where mental illness is more an asset than a liability.
    How about a politician?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    How about a politician?
    I can see someone who has read Erasmus's "In Praise of Folly" :-) Or should have. It's a great read and i recommend it, especially to myself: it's been a while since I read it.

Donald Trump is what statisticians would call an outiler and, yes, nobody in their right mind would become a politician, whether in democracies or totalitarian states.
    But still, the more I age, the more I see actresses and actors as batshit-crazy, moronic, cranium-empty idiots. Give me a PhD girl any time. I turn the sound off any time Meryl Streep or Bruce Willis is on.

If you are totally unhinged and without formal training, you will either become an actress or a real estate agent, depending on how good you look

J.

Name:	Vivien Leigh costume_1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	55592

Name:	Vivien Leigh costume_2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	55593

Apparently in the 70s Walter Plunkett (who had saved his GWTW dress patterns and the measurements of Leigh and Gable) recreated several of her dresses. This dress was on display at a free TCM event many years ago - lots of props costumes etc were shown.