Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls Maul Woman to Death :(

Jacksmum Guest

jaylene Guest
    I read this and was just horrified. What a terrible way to die.

Jacksmum Guest
    I couldn't imagine. It is absolutely horrifying.

Probably pit bull mixes... poor doggies and poor woman. So needless
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Nelliebean Guest
    I hope like Hell the owners do prison time for this. If you can't keep your dogs contained then you pay the price.

Give me the euthanasia solution and I'll put them down myself.

Do we need to hear about how it's not the dog's fault and other assorted drivel? Give me a break.. I deal with this crap every day.

Once a dog is willing to maul someone then it's time to dim it's lights. No excuses.

There are too many well socialized dogs out there who need homes. People killers need to be bagged and frozen.
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 04-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Probably pit bull mixes..
    Doesn't matter, Miho. I'm not anti-pit but any pack of dogs can kill you.

cloudddae Guest
    The owners deserve a few years of prison time, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, the dogs will probably be the only ones truly punished for what happened. The owners might get a fine at most, and they are the ones who were negligent.

I agree the dogs that did this should be put down.
    Last edited by cloudddae; 04-26-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Nelliebean Guest
    Sorry about my rant, guys.

This poor woman was walking down the damn street.
    That's all she was doing. This could have been you or me.

Mammy Guest
    OMG, what a gruesome, terrifying way to die! I can't imagine what she went through. I hope it was over quick for her, but I kinda doubt it. The dog owners should be held criminally responsible and have to pay for her funeral.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I hope that they put down any/all the dogs that participated. But I also hope that they are sure that each dog participated before they put it down. It would be a shame if one dog was just standing around, not attacking her and ends up dying because of his buddies...
    Poor lady - the folks that owned these dogs should lose everything that they own!

I agree that pet owners need to be held liable for her death and either spend jail time or pay up. All the dogs need to be put down. And those dogs were probably mistreated - I hate it when a certain breed is blamed as it more often is the treatment from the owner that makes a dog act out. There are always exceptions to that, but for the most part, dogs can be conditioned from birth to be kind or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

Mulvaness Guest
    The pet owners should be held liable and any dog that mauls anyone should be put down. When my sister was attacked by one of our dogs, we had it put down. After an animal attacks, it can not be trusted and it does not matter if it is a Pit Bull or a Cocker Spaniel or hell a cat!!!
    Whoever mentioned a pack is dangerous, no matter the breed, is right!
    What a horrible way to die!!! That poor woman!

james1977 Guest
    Stupid idiot animals. Any dog that draws blood is put down. That's the rule. Do you want to get your nose bit off and be scarred for life ? Whenever or if we see a loose crazy dog, go on top of a parked car and take your belt off and use it as a whip. I saw some smart black guy do this. Went on top of a parked car and his belt was off, he was whipping the dog. He was smart. To hell with the car owner. I always remember this. A dog draws blood he's put down. Don't be afraid to do this. No god damn dog has the same rights as my kid. I don't care what anyone says.

I've never liked pitbulls. They are an ugly and vicious breed. Pits can't be trusted. It's in their genes. Maybe I'll change my mind about them when I read about a chihuahua mauling a person to death.

BTW - another pit bull attack that ended in death...
    http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...yssey=obinsite

And here's an article about a pit bull attack that lead to 2 felony charges being brought against the owners. They were both charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Police are currently trying to locate them.
    http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/siren...sault-charges/
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by james1977 View Post
    Stupid idiot animals. Any dog that draws blood is put down. That's the rule. Do you want to get your nose bit off and be scarred for life ? Whenever or if we see a loose crazy dog, go on top of a parked car and take your belt off and use it as a whip. I saw some smart black guy do this. Went on top of a parked car and his belt was off, he was whipping the dog. He was smart. To hell with the car owner. I always remember this. A dog draws blood he's put down. Don't be afraid to do this. No god damn dog has the same rights as my kid. I don't care what anyone says.
    Okay, tell us how you really feel. I don't agree that animals are stupid or that you should juut start whipping dogs with belts (not every loose dog is going to attack you). Do you live in an area that has a bunch of loose crazy dogs? You make it sound like they are all over the place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

Unless you have at least a 6 foot high fence, you cannot prevent a dog that size from escaping. We can't even let Harry out to roam around our huge yard because he jumps the fence. He used to climb up it but now he just jumps over. It's not a 6 footer, just a regular size fence. All his shots are up to date and everything, but we do not want him loose in the hood for his own safety and the safety of others. I feel sorry for this poor woman and the dogs whose owners are too stupid to pen them up in a proper size fence.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe_Zeppelin View Post
    I've never liked pitbulls. They are an ugly and vicious breed. Pits can't be trusted. It's in their genes. Maybe I'll change my mind about them when I read about a chihuahua mauling a person to death.

BTW - another pit bull attack that ended in death...
    http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...yssey=obinsite

And here's an article about a pit bull attack that lead to 2 felony charges being brought against the owners. They were both charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Police are currently trying to locate them.
    http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/siren...sault-charges/
    Pits just get the worst publicity, but my best friend has had 2 pits and they have been as sweet as can be. Rotweillers and dobermans also get bad raps. And the first story you posted, come on, the guy got bit on the thumb and then had a heart attack and died. That can't be a "mauled to death" incident. And the second story? COME ON. That is totally the owners training their dog to attack on their command. That is not the dog's fault that it's idiot owners got a pit to obviously scare and hurt people. I still believe that half of how these dogs act is how they have been raised and treated by their owners.

And yes, I have seen a tiny chihuahua (ever watch Dog Whisperer? It will give you a whole new outlook on how many tiny demon dogs are out there) attack and cause a person to have stitches. I have seen a bulldog nearly take someone's arm off. My niece got bitten on the face by their little weiner dog and I had to get her away from the dog, and my coworker just had to put down their cockadoodle because it attacked her son.

Just like you can't stereotype people, you can't stereotype animals.
    Last edited by tjoy; 04-28-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoy View Post
    Pits just get the worst publicity, but my best friend has had 2 pits and they have been as sweet as can be. Rotweillers and dobermans also get bad raps. And the first story you posted, come on, the guy got bit on the thumb and then had a heart attack and died. That can't be a "mauled to death" incident. And the second story? COME ON. That is totally the owners training their dog to attack on their command. That is not the dog's fault that it's idiot owners got a pit to obviously scare and hurt people. I still believe that half of how these dogs act is how they have been raised and treated by their owners.

And yes, I have seen a tiny chihuahua (ever watch Dog Whisperer? It will give you a whole new outlook on how many tiny demon dogs are out there) attack and cause a person to have stitches. I have seen a bulldog nearly take someone's arm off. My niece got bitten on the face by their little weiner dog and I had to get her away from the dog, and my coworker just had to put down their cockadoodle because it attacked her son.

Just like you can't stereotype people, you can't stereotype animals.

I certainly don't expect for you or anyone to agree with me. It is my opinion. I intensely dislike pits. Don't get me wrong. I also hate chihuahuas. They are annoying glorified rats. My question is would anyone (pro-pit) trust leaving their small child in a room with a pit? Not just their pet pit but someone else's pit? I sure as hell wouldn't.

And yes it was a heart attack that killed the guy in the link to the article that I provided. But it was brought on by a pit attack. Nuff said. I'm still sticking to my opinion of pits. Stereotyping or not.

~Peace

ETA: It's all in the spirit of friendly discussion anyway.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Not Fade Away Guest
    My question is would anyone (pro-pit) trust leaving their small child in a room with a pit? Not just their pet pit but someone else's pit? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Hypothetically, yes, because my dog is way more friendly than most dogs I know. However, in reality, I wouldn't leave my child with any dog. But my own pit bull? I trust him far more than I trust my extremely old, grumpy sharpei. I'm a responsible pet owner. My dog is sweet (and stupid, but that's neither here nor there). I trust him more than I would trust a small ankle biting dog.

I wouldn't trust any animal with a kid. They're just so unpredictable. I'm happy you have a dog you can trust around with your child.

I wish my next door neighbors had been as lucky. I saw them raise their pit with such love and care for almost 2 years. Then one day their pit just snapped. Killed a stray cat and went after their own child. It even bit the leg of one of it's owners. They cried as animal control officers took their dog away. Even I was a little sad. But I'm sure they were relieved that their child wasn't badly harmed. Thankfully their dog was up-to-date with all it's shots, but it wasn't enough to save that dog from euthanasia.
    Last edited by Zoe_Zeppelin; 08-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.

My little shih tzu totally looked after a baby I watched for a week while the parents were out of town. He followed the baby around everywhere and even blocked him from going up the steps (I hadn't put the baby gate up yet). And my neigbor's boxer is really laid back with the kids. They pull at his ears and climb on him and he just takes it. What a sweet dog.

Anyway, I think it is a crap shoot no matter what breed of dog you have as to whether or not they will snap one day. My coworker's cockadoodle did just that. She just became psychotic and they took her to a trainer and the trainer called after 2 days and said she would refund their money back, but there was no hope for the dog. Then they put her down.
    Last edited by tjoy; 04-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I certainly don't expect for you or anyone to agree with me. It is my opinion. I intensely dislike pits. Don't get me wrong. I also hate chihuahuas. They are annoying glorified rats. My question is would anyone (pro-pit) trust leaving their small child in a room with a pit? Not just their pet pit but someone else's pit? I sure as hell wouldn't.

And yes it was a heart attack that killed the guy in the link to the article that I provided. But it was brought on by a pit attack. Nuff said. I'm still sticking to my opinion of pits. Stereotyping or not.

~Peace

What, if any, kind of dog DO you like?

~Peace

I would never leave a child alone with any size dog whether that dog was someone else's or mine.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I would never leave a child alone with any size dog whether that dog was someone else's or mine.
    Ditto!

What, if any, kind of dog DO you like?
    I don't have a preference when it comes to dogs. I have 2 dogs that I adore. One a sweet wire hair shelter dog, and the other a stray mutt that adopted me. LOL! Both are small to medium build. Weigh maybe 25-30 pounds each. Neither of them is a pit. Obviously. Both live happily in and out of my house. They are never allowed to roam the streets unrestrained. I keep them as pets, not for protection like so many people do. I have a shotgun for that.

My issue isn't just with pits though. I hate rotts and dobermans also. Those are dogs I'd never own, and would even cross the street to avoid.

Nelliebean Guest
    You got that right! Toddlers and small children move ,smell and sound differently than adults.

They also tend to not have boundaries around dogs.

I don't have a preference when it comes to dogs. I have 2 dogs that I adore. One a sweet wire hair shelter dog, and the other a stray mutt that adopted me. LOL! Both are small to medium build. Weigh maybe 25-30 pounds each. Neither of them is a pit. Obviously. Both live happily in and out of my house. They are never allowed to roam the streets unrestrained. I keep them as pets, not for protection like so many people do. I have a shotgun for that.

My issue isn't just with pits though. I hate rotts and dobermans also. Those are dogs I'd never own, and would even cross the street to avoid.
    Well, all rotweillers I have known have been extremely sweet and protective of family members. I had a doberman when I was little (from 3 to 11 yrs old) as a next door neighbor that was awesome, but there was another doberman in the neighborhood no one would go near since it would very viciously bark and lunge at anyone walking by. I try not to judge a dog unless they have done something to myself or someone I know, but that is just me.

It just makes me sad that pit bulls are so unfairly judged. Back in the day it was rotts, dobermans and bulldogs that were the most feared, but not anymore. Pit bulls in the wrong hands can definitely become problems, but if we were to breed them for a more domestic existence, I think it would be different. Of course there are those that love that pit bulls can be so dangerous they will use that to their own advantage and that is unfair to the dog and the breed.

I certainly don't expect for you or anyone to agree with me. It is my opinion. I intensely dislike pits.
    I feel the same way. I've tried but I can't get past it. Too many incidences, too many times. I know other dogs have killed as well but the quantity, viciousness, and randomness of a pit attack has me jaded.

I certainly understand the loyalty others profess for the breed but in many of the attacks, the owners say the same things that the defenders of the breed say: never been vicious before, great with kids etc....

The last straw was when a couple with a pit moved in next door and when my 2 year old girl and 5 year old boy would play in our fenced yard, the pit sounded like he was out for blood on the other side. Banging into the fence, growling, barking, snarling and digging on the other side. I stopped letting my kids play in the yard when he was out.

They just moved out and a couple with a collie mix moved in and he just sits on the other side of the fence wagging his tale when the kids play.
    Last edited by Paulination; 04-28-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    You got that right! Toddlers and small children move ,smell and sound differently than adults.

They also tend to not have boundaries around dogs.

Amen to this. I love my pups, but no way would I allow any of them to be alone with a baby.

jaylene Guest
    I agree any dog can bite. I mean dogs bite. I don't know how it
    is other places but around here having a pitbull is a status thing. If you
    have one then you think your a bad ass. The breed has a reputation. Lets
    face it a guy walking down the street with tattoos and piercings won't
    be seen with a poodle.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylene View Post
    I agree any dog can bite. I mean dogs bite. I don't know how it
    is other places but around here having a pitbull is a status thing. If you
    have one then you think your a bad ass. The breed has a reputation. Lets
    face it a guy walking down the street with tattoos and piercings won't
    be seen with a poodle.
    I agree and think it is sad that they pits are utilized for this. The reputation is then perpetuated by those owners who train them to be vicious so they can be the bad ass.

Flowergrrl Guest
    If you are going to kill the dogs.... Euthanize the owners while you're at it. A bad dog may come around every once in awhile, but the majority of the time it's the owner's fault (unless it is like one of the dogs I have listed at the bottom of this post, they tend to have aggressive qualities). And, Miho is right... Pits are bred to fight. This has been going on for awhile. They take the dogs with the biggest will to fight and breed them together, after years of doing this... You have dogs that had this bred into them for generations.

Even still, they can turn out to be sweet dogs.

Well, all rotweillers I have known have been extremely sweet and protective of family members. I had a doberman when I was little (from 3 to 11 yrs old) as a next door neighbor that was awesome, but there was another doberman in the neighborhood no one would go near since it would very viciously bark and lunge at anyone walking by. I try not to judge a dog unless they have done something to myself or someone I know, but that is just me.

It just makes me sad that pit bulls are so unfairly judged. Back in the day it was rotts, dobermans and bulldogs that were the most feared, but not anymore. Pit bulls in the wrong hands can definitely become problems, but if we were to breed them for a more domestic existence, I think it would be different. Of course there are those that love that pit bulls can be so dangerous they will use that to their own advantage and that is unfair to the dog and the breed.
    Rotts, German Shepherds, Collies, etc are herding dogs... They make great pets to have around kids. Rotts and German Shepherds got a bad rap though when people started using them as guard dogs because of their strength.

I grew up around dogs. We had several outside dogs and the neighbors had even more than we did. Minus one large dog, a black lab, the only mean dogs I've ever encountered have been small dogs, as in bite, growl, nip. I've been bit several times and had them try to attack me.

I would trust a bigger dog around a child more than I would a little one. Also, I grew up around a Pitbull. The only danger in that was it was nothing but a HUGE puppy.

If we're going to put restrictions on dogs people can own... Let's start with dogs that are actually mean... Pekingese (meanest with kids), Poodles (too high strung, attack kids... unless they're miniature or standard size), Yorkies (attack kids), Chows (hate kids, only like one owner)...

Jacksmum Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    If you are going to kill the dogs.... Euthanize the owners while you're at it. A bad dog may come around every once in awhile, but the majority of the time it's the owner's fault (unless it is like one of the dogs I have listed at the bottom of this post, they tend to have aggressive qualities). And, Miho is right... Pits are bred to fight. This has been going on for awhile. They take the dogs with the biggest will to fight and breed them together, after years of doing this... You have dogs that had this bred into them for generations.

If we're going to put restrictions on dogs people can own... Let's start with dogs that are actually mean... Pekingese (meanest with kids), Poodles (too high strung, attack kids... unless they're miniature or standard size), Yorkies (attack kids), Chows (hate kids, only like one owner)...
    Well said.

Jacksmum Guest

Wow. I can assume from your rant that your not a dog person. I'm glad I've never had the experience of watching someone whipping a dog on top of a car.

The owners of any kind of dog are responsible for their behaviour. Don't have a dog if you aren't willing to do the research on the breed and train it properly. I have known lots of pitbulls who are a gentle as lambs and I've seen many agressive ones because the owners are on some kind of power trip.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    Well said.
    Thank you J'sMum.

Wow. I can assume from your rant that your not a dog person. I'm glad I've never had the experience of watching someone whipping a dog on top of a car.

The owners of any kind of dog are responsible for their behaviour. Don't have a dog if you aren't willing to do the research on the breed and train it properly. I have known lots of pitbulls who are a gentle as lambs and...

I've seen many agressive ones because the owners are on some kind of power trip
    True. That last sentence hits the nail on the head.

james1977 Guest

Anytime

Okay, tell us how you really feel. I don't agree that animals are stupid or that you should juut start whipping dogs with belts (not every loose dog is going to attack you). Do you live in an area that has a bunch of loose crazy dogs? You make it sound like they are all over the place.
    There could be a pack of wild dogs or pit bulls anytime in the suburbs. Yes, we face the dog. But some crazy dogs will still charge. If all else fails, get on top of that parked car. Brilliant Idea. I always have it as back-up. I walk a lot and any damn time, any damn time, a loose dog who has escaped from their owner's backyard. The jack ass probably forgot to lock the gate. Frickin dogs dig holes sometimes. There could be a loose dog anytime. Or packs of dogs. Anytime, we all have to be prepared

There could be a pack of wild dogs or pit bulls anytime in the suburbs. Yes, we face the dog. But some crazy dogs will still charge. If all else fails, get on top of that parked car. Brilliant Idea. I always have it as back-up. I walk a lot and any damn time, any damn time, a loose dog who has escaped from their owner's backyard. The jack ass probably forgot to lock the gate. Frickin dogs dig holes sometimes. There could be a loose dog anytime. Or packs of dogs. Anytime, we all have to be prepared
    Paranoid, much? What if the dog jumps up on the car after you? Dogs can jump high! Maybe you should invest in a treadmill and forego those outdoor walks.

My best friend's black lab got out of the yard last week because their 5 year-old left the gate ajar, but the neighbor's know him so they were able to bring him back. I guess they are lucky to not have you as a neighbor!

All I know is if I ever see someone jumping on my car and start whipping a dog with a belt, you better believe that person is going to get a good belt whipping from me!!!!

The owners of any kind of dog are responsible for their behaviour. Don't have a dog if you aren't willing to do the research on the breed and train it properly. I have known lots of pitbulls who are a gentle as lambs and I've seen many agressive ones because the owners are on some kind of power trip.
    My thoughts exactly!

Remember you only hear about dog attacks that the media deems news worthy. Pit bulls do not have the highest attack rates of dogs. Labs are very nippy and bite many children every year. Chows are the worst, but those don't make headlines. Only Pit bulls and people are too ignorant to do actual research because it is easier to just judge a breed they have NO CLUE ABOUT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Oh and by the way most dog attacks against sweet innocent children are because the kids have no respect or boundaries around a dog. If someone kid did that to me I would belt them across the room. Dogs don't have that luxury.

People cause dogs to be violent. Whether do to inbreeding or poor socializing. People kill more people than dogs ever will, but we don't talk about putting violent children to sleep. We just let them grow up to hurt and kill others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Any short-haired, muscular mutt is perceived as being pit bull," says Best Friends' Ledy VanKavage. Once that label's attached, chance of adoption often falls dramatically.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/parenti...its/46698640/1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jacksmum Guest
    All I know is if I ever see someone jumping on my car and start whipping a dog with a belt, you better believe that person is going to get a good belt whipping from me!!!!
    I'd be right behind you.

Mammy Guest
    I will readily admit being wary of pit bulls because of all of the negative publicity. But, there is another reason also. I live in a very small town in a county that has a huge problem with meth labs. Since drug dealers and meth cookers don't want people nosing around on their property, a good way to avoid that is an intimidating dog. There are a lot of people who get busted and have dogs removed from their property and usually they are pitbulls and dobermans. The dealers know which dogs intimidate people and have a bad reputation and they take full advantage of it. I don't blame the dogs for being aggressive, I blame their owners, but I still don't trust the dogs and they make me nervous. I think any dog, regardless of breed, can be aggressive and short tempered because of the way they are raised. I also know not all pitbulls are bad. My ex-husband has an older pitbull who is crippled and was in a shelter. He adopted Buster and he is one of the best natured dogs I have ever been around. He lives inside and has his own twin bed and is very pampered and spoiled and loves being around people. You couldn't ask for a better dog. I think a lot of pitbulls are mean because humans taught them to be. Of course, there is no time to judge their character if one comes after you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    "Any short-haired, muscular mutt is perceived as being pit bull," says Best Friends' Ledy VanKavage. Once that label's attached, chance of adoption often falls dramatically.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/parenti...its/46698640/1
    This is true. When we first got Harry we thought he was a pit. He's not. He's an American Bull dog. He loves kids. When hubs is gone I tie him on the front porch--when he asks me--and he stays there as long as he wants. But most of the time when hubs is home he runs free inside the fence, because he obeys hubs without hesitation and so if he jumps the fence hubs orders him to jump back in and he does. He loves the kids next door and he will jump the fence and play with them, but Hubs and the kids' dad are always there. When he gets tired of playing with them he jumps back into the yard. Lol.

But anyway, I have been around several true pits and they were just as gentle as kittens. It all depends on how they are treated.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This is true. When we first got Harry we thought he was a pit. He's not. He's an American Bull dog. He loves kids. When hubs is gone I tie him on the front porch--when he asks me--and he stays there as long as he wants. But most of the time when hubs is home he runs free inside the fence, because he obeys hubs without hesitation and so if he jumps the fence hubs orders him to jump back in and he does. He loves the kids next door and he will jump the fence and play with them, but Hubs and the kids' dad are always there. When he gets tired of playing with them he jumps back into the yard. Lol.

But anyway, I have been around several true pits and they were just as gentle as kittens. It all depends on how they are treated.
    Totally agree, but there are exceptions to the rule for any dog breed. I think owners have a huge contribution to how their dog ends up as far as temperament.

I have never met a ferocious pit bull, though. Is that weird? I don't think so. The people I have known who own them have been kind and trained them well.

Pops24 Guest

...been a long time since I last wrote something here, but I couldn't resist this thread ...I'm studying to become dog educator and one would never imagine the complexity of dog psychology and communication.
    There are no EVIL breeds, each and every breed has specific attitudes according to what humans wanted to obtain from them (sheepdogs, retrievers, guardians, fighters...) and of course knowing the breed is the most important step when dealing with dogs. Rottweilers and Dobermans can be just as sweet and friendly as a Labrador Retriever, if well socialized, experienced, and above all if the owner manages to be sweetly firm. A dog needs to know his owner is a gentle leader, it makes the dog feel comfortable with himself and the family he lives in. Being a leader doesn't mean smacking or whipping or yelling and screaming. Violence generates violence, this is true for humans and it's even more true for dogs. Mr Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer (!!!) has his own method based on leadership, basically he smothers all dogs' initiatives, instead of teaching the dog the correct thing to do he just punishes so often the dog will eventually stop trying to do anything different in fear of being punished again. I won't spend a word more about this guy.
    Anyway...every dog can potentially kill a man, we're the ones who make a dog violent coz we don't even try to learn how to communicate correctly with a dog, how to teach them to live with us and how to socialize with all other beings, humans or not. This is up to us, and we fail. A dog mistreated IS dangerous, though can be saved from euthanasia, there are awesome recovery projects for ex-fighters dogs. Remember a dog doesn't ask you to become a killer, all he asks is to become a part of the family, stay with you and love you.

And no, I would NEVER leave a kid alone with a dog: I'd stand by the kid and teach him the correct approach to dogs if all kids (and in general, all people) knew that, it would dramatically reduce accidents!

big big hugs from Italy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pops24 View Post
    ...been a long time since I last wrote something here, but I couldn't resist this thread ...I'm studying to become dog educator and one would never imagine the complexity of dog psychology and communication.
    There are no EVIL breeds, each and every breed has specific attitudes according to what humans wanted to obtain from them (sheepdogs, retrievers, guardians, fighters...) and of course knowing the breed is the most important step when dealing with dogs. Rottweilers and Dobermans can be just as sweet and friendly as a Labrador Retriever, if well socialized, experienced, and above all if the owner manages to be sweetly firm. A dog needs to know his owner is a gentle leader, it makes the dog feel comfortable with himself and the family he lives in. Being a leader doesn't mean smacking or whipping or yelling and screaming. Violence generates violence, this is true for humans and it's even more true for dogs. Mr Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer (!!!) has his own method based on leadership, basically he smothers all dogs' initiatives, instead of teaching the dog the correct thing to do he just punishes so often the dog will eventually stop trying to do anything different in fear of being punished again. I won't spend a word more about this guy.
    Anyway...every dog can potentially kill a man, we're the ones who make a dog violent coz we don't even try to learn how to communicate correctly with a dog, how to teach them to live with us and how to socialize with all other beings, humans or not. This is up to us, and we fail. A dog mistreated IS dangerous, though can be saved from euthanasia, there are awesome recovery projects for ex-fighters dogs. Remember a dog doesn't ask you to become a killer, all he asks is to become a part of the family, stay with you and love you.

And no, I would NEVER leave a kid alone with a dog: I'd stand by the kid and teach him the correct approach to dogs if all kids (and in general, all people) knew that, it would dramatically reduce accidents!

big big hugs from Italy!!!
    You need to post more often.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Pops24 Guest
    You need to post more often.
    I will thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pops24 View Post
    I will thank you!!
    Welcome, and I mean it. You are exactly right about dogs. Look at my avi. That's Harry, an American Bulldog Pit Bull hybrid, 67 pounds of sweet. Lol. Because we have treated him right and socialized him, and that's what makes a good dog.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Pops24 Guest
    Welcome, and I mean it. You are exactly right about dogs. Look at my avi. That's Harry, an American Bulldog Pit Bull hybrid, 67 pounds of sweet. Lol. Because we have treated him right and socialized him, and that's what makes a good dog.
    he looks lovely! I'm sure he would love to play with my dogs Luna and Neo, here they are
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2639157_n.jpg

hugs!!